OT: Coronavirus XXXX: Variant & Vaccination Rates Are Climbing, Let's Get to Herd Immunity Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
When I had my 1st shot at Shoppers they said we will call you for the 2nd shot unless we don't in which case call back after a month past today (the date of my 1st shot). In other words they have no clue about the 2nd shot. An email from the Alberta vaccine site came and said if you had your 1st shot call after a month for the 2nd shot. Pharmacy says call 811. 811 says call the pharmacy.

I think I will just hop on a plane and get it in the US....

Just head to montana hit up a drive thru and then drive back

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Incredibly sad that it might be her own sister that infected her visiting from Lethbridge.

Unfortunately this is an aspect that impacts so many families now, that have had this occur. I mean this is the finality of deaths. People have to live with the what ifs for the rest of their lives.

People get confused between who is allowed to visit homes, as per regulations, vs the advisability of even doing that during extreme uptick waves of a pandemic. My wife and I, cohort is 2, no visitors, and the only way to be safe. We only allowed specific visitation cohort when numbers were way down in summer.

Asymptomatic or not, people have trouble getting their heads around statistics and what it means when there are hotspots, and that the number tested positive in a region is far less than the actual amount of people that would have Covid in a region.

I mean as example Fort McMurray region has case rates that are astounding high right now. About 1.6% of people in the region currently have positive tested covid. The probability of 5-10% in the region having Covid is likely. Would people take chances with those numbers. Would you allow a visitor from that region to enter your house?

Lethbridge hit 1% confirmed and 5% probable at one point in case spikes. So thats high risk allowing that visit as well.

These are the kinds of questions and considerations in a pandemic.

Reactions: bellagiobob

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm wondering if I should ask for a AZ 2nd shot or Pfizer chaser..mostly joking but who knows.

So much confusion still exists and whether jurisdictions will just mix shots. Plus with availability no assurance of even getting same shot.

Seems to me, and I'm no expert haha, that getting one mrna, and one AZ wouldn't be any more effective than just one shot vaccination but this still being considered.

They are doing trials now. Many experts think it will actually be better for two different shots.

"Combining vaccines might give broader, longer-lasting immunity against the virus and new variants of it, and offer more flexibility to vaccine rollout."

'Mix and match' UK Covid vaccine trial expanded

Which to me makes sense, different shots will generate a broader immune response. Well we don't even know why, it is most likely each vaccine will basically be stronger in one dimension that others, so getting different ones covers both.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Unfortunately this is an aspect that impacts so many families now, that have had this occur. I mean this is the finality of deaths. People have to live with the what ifs for the rest of their lives.

People get confused between who is allowed to visit homes, as per regulations, vs the advisability of even doing that during extreme uptick waves of a pandemic. My wife and I, cohort is 2, no visitors, and the only way to be safe. We only allowed specific visitation cohort when numbers were way down in summer.

Asymptomatic or not, people have trouble getting their heads around statistics and what it means when there are hotspots, and that the number tested positive in a region is far less than the actual amount of people that would have Covid in a region.

I mean as example Fort McMurray region has case rates that are astounding high right now. About 1.6% of people in the region currently have positive tested covid. The probability of 5-10% in the region having Covid is likely. Would people take chances with those numbers. Would you allow a visitor from that region to enter your house?

Lethbridge hit 1% confirmed and 5% probable at one point in case spikes. So thats high risk allowing that visit as well.

These are the kinds of questions and considerations in a pandemic.

Ya, we appear close to the finish line with vaccines but it could all be undone with more variants being churned out by people with "covid fatigue". Now's the time to really buckle down but it appears people are doing the opposite. Another really sad family transmission story due to sports camp. Though not common, you just don't know if you or a loved one will be one of the unlucky ones. These people were completely healthy with no underlying conditions. The scariest thing is how sudden it can happen. It can feel like a mild cold and you deny help from health care providers and the next morning, you've perished. Metro Vancouver family urges people to take COVID-19 seriously after healthy father dies

Healthy man dies at home from COVID-19

They should really be figuring out why some seemingly normal healthy people are more severely affected than others. There must be some reason(s). Whether it be not sleeping well when you're infected to blood type to gender to initial viral load etc or a combination of those. There has to be reasons that leave some more likely to die or get severely ill from it... all things being relatively equal as far as age and health.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ya, we appear close to the finish line with vaccines but it could all be undone with more variants being churned out by people with "covid fatigue". Now's the time to really buckle down but it appears people are doing the opposite. Another really sad family transmission story due to sports camp. Though not common, you just don't know if you or a loved one will be one of the unlucky ones. These people were completely healthy with no underlying conditions. The scariest thing is how sudden it can happen. It can feel like a mild cold and you deny help from health care providers and the next morning, you've perished. Metro Vancouver family urges people to take COVID-19 seriously after healthy father dies

Healthy man dies at home from COVID-19

They should really be figuring out why some seemingly normal healthy people are more severely affected than others. There must be some reason(s). Whether it be not sleeping well when you're infected to blood type to gender to initial viral load etc or a combination of those. There has to be reasons that leave some more likely to die or get severely ill from it... all things being relatively equal as far as age and health.
"They" should really figure out a lot of things, but it's a tad bit more complicated than figuring out why a bicycle tire went flat.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"They" should really figure out a lot of things, but it's a tad bit more complicated than figuring out why a bicycle tire went flat.

Stop all the planes from flying all around the world carrying variants of all types all over the world. Its not much more complicated, but just consistently those in charge in most countries would rather shut everything else down then the damn planes. Some countries had enough sense to try to stop flights as first actions. The Airline industry much have a lot of pull with global govt. The Cruise industry got shut down just like that (right move) but the Airlines. they're allowed to fly pretty much undetered AND get more huge bail outs.

Lets just call the Country Air Canada and be done with it. ;)

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Hopefully these vaccines start lowering our numbers before Kenney makes us all go to bed at 8pm

I’m a night owl, and am honestly surprised when I hear friends tell me they go to bed every night at 9. I often eat supper later that that. So I think a good chunk of those already obeying the rules and going to bed early won’t even notice a curfew. And the spreaders who don’t care will keep doing what they’re doing. So not much will change. ;)

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

216DB421-37A4-4940-89B7-96C07429F2F8.jpeg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm wondering if I should ask for a AZ 2nd shot or Pfizer chaser..mostly joking but who knows.

So much confusion still exists and whether jurisdictions will just mix shots. Plus with availability no assurance of even getting same shot.

Seems to me, and I'm no expert haha, that getting one mrna, and one AZ wouldn't be any more effective than just one shot vaccination but this still being considered.
Serious Q, when you get a first dose of whatever vaccine don’t you need to get the second of the same?
I got AZ here in Saskatchewan and the nurse told me that I would get AZ again as my follow up (whenever that will be 3-4 months at this point, don’t get me started).

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Stop all the planes from flying all around the world carrying variants of all types all over the world. Its not much more complicated, but just consistently those in charge in most countries would rather shut everything else down then the damn planes. Some countries had enough sense to try to stop flights as first actions. The Airline industry much have a lot of pull with global govt. The Cruise industry got shut down just like that (right move) but the Airlines. they're allowed to fly pretty much undetered AND get more huge bail outs.

Lets just call the Country Air Canada and be done with it. ;)

Cruise ships are transporting vacationers only, full stop.

Airplanes are transporting freight and people who travel for work purposes (and not all work can be done via a zoom call), unique technicians and special skill people travel the work plying their craft. I’m not saying I condone or agree with this (I haven’t decided ) but simply offering my take on why the airline industry still operates when cruise ships dont.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Serious Q, when you get a first dose of whatever vaccine don’t you need to get the second of the same?
I got AZ here in Saskatchewan and the nurse told me that I would get AZ again as my follow up (whenever that will be 3-4 months at this point, don’t get me started).

That’s what they are advising at this time, but are running mix and match trials to see how that works.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Here in the UK the feeling is that in about 12 months time, the realization will be that people will need to get maybe one or two booster shots a year to stay a head of the different variants
I’m ok with that, it’s no different than a yearly flu shot. It can be managed and administered reasonably easy like we do with the flu. But before that, we need to get to herd immunity and fast. I am way past my breaking point for quarantines, no travel, social distancing and masks. I’m not one of those out on the street protesting the health guidelines, just really f***ing tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad