OT: Coronavirus XXXX: Variant & Vaccination Rates Are Climbing, Let's Get to Herd Immunity Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Did a quick look and found this study. Interesting that summer resistance helps keep infections of various pathogens down (which sheds light on the lack of a peak until October). Winter, not so much. Included with this study is this quote (with link to the another study) under "Seasonality of Vitamin D":

"A similar study conducted in Edmonton, Canada (52°N), the conversion of pre-vitamin D3 ceased after mid October and did not return until mid April.[23]"

Here's the study.

Factors Influencing the Seasonal Patterns of Infectious Diseases
So why did cases go down until February when Alberta reopened and have gone up ever since, even as days got longer and the weather got better?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Of course there’s a 2-week lag...there’s a reason the government waited 3 weeks after easing to step 1 and step 2..to see if easing wouldn’t cause a rise in cases
It’s the same when restrictions are put on..we need to wait a couple weeks to see if they’re working
I’m not arguing with you, there is definitely a lag. I’m saying the graph gave hard dates (phase 2 stars on Feb 12th or whatever) but the lag isn’t included in the date they gave for policy decisions.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
This is connected to the pandemic, and its not.

Throughout the pandemic we have been alerted of the need to reduce hospital usage, ICU usage. We've had COE involved in many actions to reduce dangers on roads and to pedestrians and also to limit serious injuries requiring hospital attention.

In this same time of restrictions, advisories, crackdowns etc, and a youth on a hockey rink getting tasered, we have had ZERO crackdown on these escooter f***ing things that occupy are every sidewalk DT or in Old Strathcona to Univ.

The City just STARTING to crackdown after YEARS of complaints.

Edmonton to crack down on illegal e-scooter sidewalk use with $100 fines | Edmonton Journal

Surgeons, medical professionals, dentists etc have been alerting officials of the dangers of these things to any jurisdiction that will listen. Countless studies have been done on how much injuries these incur, hospital beds used etc for serious injuries riding these things, or being hit as a pedestrain by these things.

Yet the COE has allowed these things to be used throughout the pandemic.

I've avoided DT and Whyte Avenue area more and more now as the sidewalks are no longer safe. First with escooters, then the pandemic, and currently both being epidemic.
Dental injuries on the rise thanks to e-scooter use: study by U of A prof | Globalnews.ca

Calgary e-scooter injuries: what emergency room doctors are seeing - Calgary | Globalnews.ca

Head and neck injuries make up nearly 28 percent of all electric scooter accident injuries: Study shows surge of emergency room visits since introduction of rideshare e-scooters -- ScienceDaily

So the same cities that reduce speed limits for drivers, claim to want to reduce pedestrian and all traffic injuries have been ALLOWING escooters on city sidewalks for years. Deplorable consistency and mind numbing oversight.
Completely agree. I ride my bike to work and in the river valley, constantly having to dodge those stupid things. It's also tough on disabled individuals (visually impaired and those requiring wheelchairs/scooters). One of the mayoral candidates might be smart to make that part of their campaign if someone hasn't already.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm talking about Alberta since the Edmonton Oilers play in the province of Alberta. You provided a reason why the 2nd wave was falling off in Alberta, I was asking why it didn't keep falling here as restrictions loosened.

an x factor is foreign flights continuing to come into the country from foreign hot spots played a key role.

from Feb 22 to April 25, over 1000 positive cases came from people arriving from abroad on an airplane, and they went home causing spread to the rest of the country

Covid-19 landing in Canada despite pre-flight testing

Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
So why did cases go down until February when Alberta reopened and have gone up ever since, even as days got longer and the weather got better?

Cases peaked in late April and have been going down since. As well, if you had read the study, you would've understood why June to October last year had no peaks but October to April did. Adding more restrictions may look "progressive" but are just eye candy to some and do little to stem the tide.

BTW, you still haven't given your opinion on why the second wave came. And now, why do you believe that merely increasing the length of a day, regardless of the daytime highs and overnight lows, changes one's resistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad