OT: Coronavirus XXXIV: As 2021 Approaches, Hopefully The Worst Is Behind Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm the last guy to defend cops, but when you're being ticketed and you refuse to give your name and provide ID, you're committing obstruction.

Well if the cops told him he's under arrest for not giving his name, maybe he would have given it to them. I have a feeling he told them his name, and they didn't believe his name was Ocean.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well if the cops told him he's under arrest for not giving his name, maybe he would have given it to them. I have a feeling he told them his name, and they didn't believe his name was Ocean.
That's why they ask for id.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Plus I wonder what most youths reactions are to being told you're going to get a 1200 buck fine and please give us your ID so we can hammer you financially.

its one of the problems as well with blanket use of fines. Youth gets that fine and its ten times the hit in earnings than for a adult in peak of career earnings. One fine amount for all makes no sense. I mean deterrent could be had just in a 100buck fine, for a youth.. Why go uber punitive on it?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Plus I wonder what most youths reactions are to being told you're going to get a 1200 buck fine and please give us your ID so we can hammer you financially.

its one of the problems as well with blanket use of fines. Youth gets that fine and its ten times the hit in earnings than for a adult in peak of career earnings. One fine amount for all makes no sense. I mean deterrent could be had just in a 100buck fine, for a youth.. Why go uber punitive on it?

He didn't even break the law, from what I heard he stayed after everyone else left the ice. Therefore allowing for him to keep skating. Will be interesting to see what comes from it. All they're doing is boosting anti government support, so part of me wants them to keep going. In saying that I'd prefer we return to the Canada/Alberta I grew up with, that still had a Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Any police officer who's sworn the Queen's Commission should be holding to those documents, not to government orders.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

In typical fashion the authorities go overboard and make themselves look ridiculous in the process. The viral video is hilarious, watching these two hapless police officers barking orders at him at the top of the lungs, then two of them spectacularly fail at attempting to take down one person on skates.

In the end he’ll probably get a ton of donations from the population sympathetic to his cause, hire a good lawyer to plead him out on something minor, pay his fine and have enough left over to buy himself something nice. Genius play by the kid.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
"Basically, we noticed that the majority of infections occurred in indoor settings."

"At the moment, the majority of public messages don’t really make sense."

"I think probably asymptomatic people – who basically showed no symptoms whatsoever – may not be contributing as much as someone who has become symptomatic or gets symptoms later on."

Some of the great highlights from the article below.

Deena Hinshaw is going to have to explain why she banned outdoor gatherings? Just nothing in the science to suggest that they're a major source of spread. In fact the research shows being outside is exactly where you want to be.

Ventilation and viral loads: the key misunderstandings of how coronavirus spreads
Being outside is great and limits spread. Just not in bunches together in close quarters, and certainly not unmasked. I think that's the point they're trying to hammer home.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is why I was so against restricting the outdoor gatherings, and also the heavy handed dealing with that youth at the skating rink. Who now has 1200 in fines and several charges he is facing in his young life. That sucks.
And all he had to do, was to get the f*** off the ice, and stop playing stupid and deaf. Just like some of those idiots in the states, that are told to do stuff by the cops but simply refuse, and then the escalation begins. I understand making the point, but don't be a dumbass about it, and now he can pay for his stupidity.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As 2021 Approaches, Hopefully The Worst Is Behind Us

Someone is dreaming in technicolor. There were 85 million travellers in the US this week, New Years is fast approaching, Fauci has said we are heading into the worst period in January, hospitals and ICU's are filling up or full, and Fox News is actively saying to ignore the "Medical Cartel". Yup, the worst is ahead of us not behind us.

I will now put the thread on ignore as per usual as I get enough Covid in my life I don't want to see it in my hockey forum where I come to escape! :)
There are a lot of people out there that truly believe that when the clock strikes midnight on December 312t, all will suddenly be magically well in the world, and if not, it will move exponentially fast to better times. Hate to throw cold water on their expectations, but this is going to take us a while to get out of this mess, and it will probably get worse before it gets better.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
And all he had to do, was to get the f*** off the ice, and stop playing stupid and deaf. Just like some of those idiots in the states, that are told to do stuff by the cops but simply refuse, and then the escalation begins. I understand making the point, but don't be a dumbass about it, and now he can pay for his stupidity.

Doubt he’ll pay for it, he’ll raise enough money to cover any fines and legal cost.

Police these days are so poorly trained they make a ton of procedural errors many times it makes it really hard for the crown to prosecute, especially against any half decent lawyer. The Justice system in Alberta was a mess before covid came along, understaffed to the point they were staying charges en mass. They really don’t have the time or resources to deal with cases like this. They’ll often plead these types out with a slap on the wrist to avoid a trial.

As for the officers I’m sure this has been nothing short of a headache and next time around they won’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Doubt he’ll pay for it, he’ll raise enough money to cover any fines and legal cost.

Police these days are so poorly trained they make a ton of procedural errors many times it makes it really hard for the crown to prosecute, especially against any half decent lawyer. The Justice system in Alberta was a mess before covid came along, understaffed to the point they were staying charges en mass. They really don’t have the time or resources to deal with cases like this. They’ll often plead these types out with a slap on the wrist to avoid a trial.

As for the officers I’m sure this has been nothing short of a headache and next time around they won’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Yeah, I'm not saying the cops did a good job in this, but to be fair, they've been put in a tough place. This isn't a slam dunk where you deal with drug dealers, or B & E's. But the old rule applies when dealing with cops, good or bad, fair or unfair. "yes sir" No, sir", Is that all sir?" Do what they say, and if there is a problem, take it to court, especially if you are trying to make a point. Because at the end of the day, that is the only place it's really going to matter.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most people carry ID with them.

Never do if out for a walk, cycling etc. and its not a legal requirement as far as I know of to always have it with you. Can't see any joggers having ID on them as well.

Anytime I was out playing any sport nearby, I didn't have a wallet or ID on me. Go to any basketball court, soccer field, any pickup game and people aren't carrying a wallet and ID on them.

The only place I always have ID is if I'm driving. For those that don't drive at all its even atypical for a lot of them to carry ID everywhere.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In typical fashion the authorities go overboard and make themselves look ridiculous in the process. The viral video is hilarious, watching these two hapless police officers barking orders at him at the top of the lungs, then two of them spectacularly fail at attempting to take down one person on skates.

In the end he’ll probably get a ton of donations from the population sympathetic to his cause, hire a good lawyer to plead him out on something minor, pay his fine and have enough left over to buy himself something nice. Genius play by the kid.

This is what I was saying all along, the police handling of this was a complete joke. I had watched watched Superbad again, just the night before, so making the whole video seem even more like amateur hour. "f***ing get on the ground or we'll taser you" lmao As if he was armed to the teeth with semiautomatic falling out of his pants..

First time I saw it I had to double check it wasnt some satire.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Disagree. At the point that a youth is being screamed at and the constables trying to get his name its damn clear that they are doing that for the purpose of fining him. At which point I could see why he was thinking about getting away.

One of the classic problems with making a fine to severe, or a consequence too severe, is people won't cooperate, and people will try to get away.

I think through all of this its good to understand that no legit crime had been committed here. It was a public ordinance specific to the pandemic that was made in the first place on flimsy evidence that outdoor "gathering" had to be curtailed. Like I stated earlier the limits of what constituted "too many people" were not even posted.

Local rinks around where I live in Edmonton don't have even limit postings. Just stay 2meters away from others standard advisory.

I mean I woudn't go 40 people on a rink, thats for sure, but going in a crowded shopping mall, indoors, and tons more people doing that, is unsafe, and that being allowed the whole time. We're even allowing LINEUPS inside Malls, waiting to get in stores. With several reports, pictures of lineups that are not properly distanced.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He didn't even break the law, from what I heard he stayed after everyone else left the ice. Therefore allowing for him to keep skating. Will be interesting to see what comes from it. All they're doing is boosting anti government support, so part of me wants them to keep going. In saying that I'd prefer we return to the Canada/Alberta I grew up with, that still had a Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Any police officer who's sworn the Queen's Commission should be holding to those documents, not to government orders.

Yeah, its all silly. At the point that they removed 20-30 people from the ice it was compliant. At that point the reasonable thing is to tell some to go home, watch awhile from the squad car, and drive away. That they escalated this into criminal charges, uncalled for. As mentioned it would help if any of the rules were defined beyond "use commonsense"

Would be nice if the police responding used any of that.

They could have even used natural herd commonsense and let the people kind of sort it out. Just say we need only 10-20 people on ice, rest have to leave for now. Enough people would leave of their own accord. Probably some of the people were about done anyway.

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Never know when something like that will end up biting you in the ass. I have heard a bunch of stories of when guys were young and dumb, and had what seemed like a fairly innocent brush with the law, who ended up paying for it years later. Might be work related, or travel consequences, credit issues, etc. For this guys sake, hopefully it doesn't affect his life moving forward, and that he learned a lesson on what not to do when confronted by the cops.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A 21 year old without id wo be very odd

Many people that don't drive don't even have ID of any kind with them, or even possess them. This is an odd concept being expressed here. Canada doesn't even print SIN cards anymore. You're just given a number. ID for a lot of people that don't drive consists of Birth Certificate, SIN #, AHC card, thats about it. Would be silly to go everywhere with those and Birth Certificate particularly should be kept in a safe place at home. Not with you where they can get lost.

There is no Federal Govt ID in this country. There is Alberta ID, but again not everybody is required to have it, at all, and it cost money to get one. Its only required to have one if you drive or perhaps for parole.

So in short this concept of it being odd to be without ID on your person, or it even being required is nonsense. From reports the youth gave his name, it wasn't believed.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Raab
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad