OT: Coronavirus XXVI: Keep Bickering to a Minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Rumours floating Edmonton lockdown starting tomorrow . Targeting gyms, restaurants and retail. Schools will remain open . Announcement at 3:30.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Rumours floating Edmonton lockdown starting tomorrow . Targeting gyms, restaurants and retail. Schools will remain open . Announcement at 3:30.

Welp if that happens feel bad for every owner who took out gov loans to restart

Reactions: oilers'72

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City

be03c82b429a1fba413d813b5bfbfa13.gif

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
They're interviewing a lady who runs a fitness center on the radio who said she was at the town hall meeting with Hinshaw yesterday... sounds like it's gonna be a significant hit to that industry coming.

Doesn't sound like she liked what she heard from the town hall meeting.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Sorry I lost my like privilege's. *Hugz*

What I'm saying is that causing harm to millions to save only a few is not only irresponsible but outright criminal.

Here's what's happening.

Say you have two patients, they both need a heart. One is 20 one is 70. Which is going to have the greater contribution to society in the next 20 years.

Right now that's what's happening and people are picking the 70 year old for the heart.

Like I've said. You utilize the military to lock down the LTC's for 6 months. No in and out for anyone other than the military assigned to that LTC.

The rest of the population carries on with life. In 6 months if the virus is still here you lock them down for another 6.
That is not what's happening at all...

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
They're interviewing a lady who runs a fitness center on the radio who said she was at the town hall meeting with Hinshaw yesterday... sounds like it's gonna be a significant hit to that industry coming.

Doesn't sound like she liked what she heard from the town hall meeting.

I wonder what's going to happen with the global debt when the virus eventually calms down some how (whether it be through vaccines, or natural mutation) and the global economy starts gearing up. Many of these companies will require bail outs, and governments around the world, at every level (municipal to federal) are going into deep debts to fund these bail out programs in an effort to keep people from losing their homes and careers. At some point banks will want to raise interest rates a hair to gain some overhead on the cost of all the loans they've given out.

For most jurisdictions a 1% hike in global interest rates would raise hell on their budgets, and again this isn't just a Canada problem, this will be a global problem as governments around the world are in this borrow to spend cycle. Will their be debt restructuring from the world banks to attempt a country from going completely bankrupt? Will debt forgiveness at some point become a thing??

Is there a proper way to tackle this subject??

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Except it is.
No it is not.

You do understand the the "elderly eldery" are not given anywhere near the care that the younger people are. Also do you understand that the large portion of patients covid or no covid are elderly?

Isn't a LTC classified as a home by the way? Freedom I guess is ok up to a certain age, then you can be put under house arrest, by force of military. That is what you are suggesting? Confining elderly people in their homes "for their own safety", by force. Christ man, there is a name for that and it ain't pretty.

Anyhow, I am done feeding this type of discussion.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
No it is not.

You do understand the the "elderly eldery" are not given anywhere near the care that the younger people are. Also do you understand that the large portion of patients covid or no covid are elderly?

Isn't a LTC classified as a home by the way? Freedom I guess is ok up to a certain age, then you can be put under house arrest, by force of military. That is what you are suggesting? Confining elderly people in their homes "for their own safety", by force. Christ man, there is a name for that and it ain't pretty.

Anyhow, I am done feeding this type of discussion.

Typical

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sorry I lost my like privilege's. *Hugz*

What I'm saying is that causing harm to millions to save only a few is not only irresponsible but outright criminal.

Here's what's happening.

Say you have two patients, they both need a heart. One is 20 one is 70. Which is going to have the greater contribution to society in the next 20 years.

Right now that's what's happening and people are picking the 70 year old for the heart.

Like I've said. You utilize the military to lock down the LTC's for 6 months. No in and out for anyone other than the military assigned to that LTC.

The rest of the population carries on with life. In 6 months if the virus is still here you lock them down for another 6.

My 94 year old mom loves a man in uniform.

I also had no idea that entry to the LTC centres would require such stiff security. Are there bad people digging tunnels, using explosives, or organizing full out assaults to get inside? Or maybe the military is there to prevent the seniors from busting out?

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I wonder what's going to happen with the global debt when the virus eventually calms down some how (whether it be through vaccines, or natural mutation) and the global economy starts gearing up. Many of these companies will require bail outs, and governments around the world, at every level (municipal to federal) are going into deep debts to fund these bail out programs in an effort to keep people from losing their homes and careers. At some point banks will want to raise interest rates a hair to gain some overhead on the cost of all the loans they've given out.

For most jurisdictions a 1% hike in global interest rates would raise hell on their budgets, and again this isn't just a Canada problem, this will be a global problem as governments around the world are in this borrow to spend cycle. Will their be debt restructuring from the world banks to attempt a country from going completely bankrupt? Will debt forgiveness at some point become a thing??

Is there a proper way to tackle this subject??

I have no idea but it sucks. It was up to Albertans to be smart and responsible, keep numbers low so that businesses can stay open. But I guess partying is more important for a portion of us, masking up was too much of a inconvenience etc etc.

I mean Hinshaw has said at least 2-3 times now in the past few weeks that we HAVE to get cases below 100 new cases/day for Edmonton and Calgary. We kept going further away from that week by week.... something had to give sooner or later. I still think they might not go as hard as they should with today's "new measures" but we'll find out soon.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
:laugh:

That's actually funny.

I am closing because it's late, I have an early morning tomorrow and I feel uncomfortable discussing facism for our elderly. So say your piece, if you have one to say. Maybe start by actually addressing what I said in the posts and not just do the broad strokes.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I have no idea but it sucks. It was up to Albertans to be smart and responsible, keep numbers low so that businesses can stay open. But I guess partying is more important for a portion of us, masking up was too much of a inconvenience etc etc.

I mean Hinshaw has said at least 2-3 times now in the past few weeks that we HAVE to get cases below 100 new cases/day for Edmonton and Calgary. We kept going further away from that week by week.... something had to give sooner or later. I still think they might not go as hard as they should with today's "new measures" but we'll find out soon.

All over the world numbers are rising. This isn't an issue of Albertan's partying. It's an issue of a highly contagious virus exploding now that people are forced indoors. A shutdown/lockdown was always going to be required. No amount of "social responsibility" was going to keep this thing from spreading. Especially once schools opened up.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
All over the world numbers are rising. This isn't an issue of Albertan's partying. It's an issue of a highly contagious virus exploding now that people are forced indoors. A shutdown/lockdown was always going to be required. No amount of "social responsibility" was going to keep this thing from spreading. Especially once schools opened up.

A part of it is people forced indoors for sure. I do think that Hinshaw said we should be at less than 100 new cases/day in Edmonton and Calgary means it's also the poor actions of some Albertans that is driving things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad