OT: Coronavirus XXVI: Keep Bickering to a Minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/tom-sampson-lockdown-1.5802957

Calgary's emergency management chief says Alberta needs a 28-day 'circuit breaker' lockdown to battle COVID-19

The chief of the Calgary Emergency Management Agency... Tom Sampson says the time to act is now and there is no time for half measures.

The CEMA chief called for a 28-day "circuit breaker" lockdown, adding it should happen now to salvage the holiday season.

"I implore you to listen to our learned physicians who are sounding the alarm," he wrote.

Amir Atteran, a professor of law and public health at the University of Ottawa, said provinces that are seeing surges in COVID-19 cases are failing in their response — and it's time for federal action.
"We can't have individual provinces deciding not to act, selfishly, and I do apply that word to Jason Kenney, such that the rest of us have to bail them out. We're in this together," he said.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Being propped up by the Fed. And an influx of Covid day traders. Fundamentals went out the window a long time ago. At some point we will get our correction. I actually think when people hear the news about the 90%, the shipment in Dec, they let their guard down even more about the virus, and figure a cure is just around the corner, so I don't need to really worry too much. I betcha the average Joe's won't see the vaccine in meaningful volume till April at the earliest.

Except for the one poster on here that's getting his shot in October.:D

And, bang on about the potential behavior of some who think the cure is right around the corner, and figure, what the hell......

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/tom-sampson-lockdown-1.5802957

Calgary's emergency management chief says Alberta needs a 28-day 'circuit breaker' lockdown to battle COVID-19

The chief of the Calgary Emergency Management Agency... Tom Sampson says the time to act is now and there is no time for half measures.

The CEMA chief called for a 28-day "circuit breaker" lockdown, adding it should happen now to salvage the holiday season.

"I implore you to listen to our learned physicians who are sounding the alarm," he wrote.

Amir Atteran, a professor of law and public health at the University of Ottawa, said provinces that are seeing surges in COVID-19 cases are failing in their response — and it's time for federal action.
"We can't have individual provinces deciding not to act, selfishly, and I do apply that word to Jason Kenney, such that the rest of us have to bail them out. We're in this together," he said.

Federal action, lmfao

This is our Fed health CEO;

theresa-tam-1jpg_large

Btw this Amir atteran sure banging the drum. Same guy as the disgusting Macleans article. But its absolutely rich that the takes time to attack the actions of every province and its health care head while saying nothing about the abysmal fed response and inferring that they can come to the rescue.

ftr this is Amir Atteran and theres a high pile of controversy from this figure. Could list a lot of sources and controversies but won't

LILLEY: Prof gets a fail for 'party of the uneducated' tweet | Toronto Sun

To say this guy is biased and controversial is putting it mildly. I thought I remembered this guy. basically an obnoxious provacateur that only wants to see his name in print. Oh well, I'll give it..

This is typical of him. 100's of tweets like this just as offensive

Amir Attaran
@profamirattaran

·
10h
The last few days, I have been trolled by Ayatollah Jason Kenney’s operatives for criticizing the regime over COVID. It’s seriously like Iran! Never mind Alberta’s 1000 cases and some deaths daily; their priority is silencing critics.

This same professor has threatened lawsuits on the basis of discrimination, multiple times, when he doesnt get the position or grant he wants.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Being propped up by the Fed. And an influx of Covid day traders. Fundamentals went out the window a long time ago. At some point we will get our correction. I actually think when people hear the news about the 90%, the shipment in Dec, they let their guard down even more about the virus, and figure a cure is just around the corner, so I don't need to really worry too much. I betcha the average Joe's won't see the vaccine in meaningful volume till April at the earliest.

Markets are always 9 months ahead, and yes vaccines in big numbers are predicted for April 2021

Reactions: oilers'72

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wait, what, are you telling me the CRA calls aren't legit? ;) Probably had one a day for the last month. Sometimes I have the time to torment them, and claim victory when they start swearing at me and hang up.

:laugh:

I've become a phone hermit. If I don't know the name/number it goes unanswered. If it's that important, they'll leave a message and I'll call back.

Maybe.

I forgot to respond to your other reply from my other post earlier. Thanks for the clarification on how it was deemed a small sample size. There's got to be more to it though if they're claiming how effective it is though, no?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
:laugh:

I've become a phone hermit. If I don't know the name/number it goes unanswered. If it's that important, they'll leave a message and I'll call back.

Maybe.

I forgot to respond to your other reply from my other post earlier. Thanks for the clarification on how it was deemed a small sample size. There's got to be more to it though if they're claiming how effective it is though, no?

Ya, I must be missing something. Pfizer had around 44k people in their control group. Half were given the vaccine, half a placebo. Only 90 or so people became infected, with almost the bulk of them on the placebo. Just seems way too small of an infected group to come to a conclusion yet. Would have been better if these people would have all agreed to attend social gatherings in Edmonton. Would have had more definitive numbers to work with. ;).

Reactions: Raab

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Federal action, lmfao

This is our Fed health CEO;

theresa-tam-1jpg_large

Btw this Amir atteran sure banging the drum. Same guy as the disgusting Macleans article. But its absolutely rich that the takes time to attack the actions of every province and its health care head while saying nothing about the abysmal fed response and inferring that they can come to the rescue.

ftr this is Amir Atteran and theres a high pile of controversy from this figure. Could list a lot of sources and controversies but won't

LILLEY: Prof gets a fail for 'party of the uneducated' tweet | Toronto Sun

To say this guy is biased and controversial is putting it mildly. I thought I remembered this guy. basically an obnoxious provacateur that only wants to see his name in print. Oh well, I'll give it..

This is typical of him. 100's of tweets like this just as offensive

Amir Attaran
@profamirattaran

·
10h
The last few days, I have been trolled by Ayatollah Jason Kenney’s operatives for criticizing the regime over COVID. It’s seriously like Iran! Never mind Alberta’s 1000 cases and some deaths daily; their priority is silencing critics.

This same professor has threatened lawsuits on the basis of discrimination, multiple times, when he doesnt get the position or grant he wants.

yeah the guy is a total hack. That some posters would continually post up his garbage and then follow it with praising Tam/Trudeau is such a blow to any credibility they had left.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
7C51013D-353C-45EB-BD4E-253D918DFEF3.png

Proof everywhere that it’s social gatherings that are causing most Covid transmission but so many people still clamoring for all the small business and the economy to be shut down again. Weird how as soon as CERB became not a total free for all there’s all kinds of people clamoring for everything to be totally shutdown. Maybe they think a total shutdown will include some more money being deposited into the bank accounts?

Begs the question though that no on seems to have the answer to...how do the people’s in charge prevent or put a stop to these gatherings?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
yeah the guy is a total hack. That some posters would continually post up his garbage and then follow it with praising Tam/Trudeau is such a blow to any credibility they had left.

Safe to say HK doesn't fact check or research any source. We both know he confirmation bias googles anything and then just cites it. Doesn't even read the articles, check the sources, check the assorted nuts.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Safe to say HK doesn't fact check or research any source. We both know he confirmation bias googles anything and then just cites it. Doesn't even read the articles, check the sources, check the assorted nuts.

I'm still waiting on the research showing that lockdowns prevent the spread of respiratory illness

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm still waiting on the research showing that lockdowns prevent the spread of respiratory illness

Not western version lockdowns in anycase. Welding doors shut maybe had some results..

Once the virus is in, its in. At that point its only degrees of mitigation really.

So just on another aside I'm curious about this. In Eastern Canada a lot of sources are down on Alberta again, and our Covid response and "its the worst" yada yada and the same pundits are saying such things as look at NS for how good they have done.

So I did. NS has 65 Covid Deaths. They have 1/5 the population of Alberta and nothing close to the urban areas of Alberta. Plus NS has not really entered into Winter yet.

We have the dry prairie winters here so theres going to be some mroe Covid spread. But I could see numbers picking up in NS again as well.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
About the only good in this is that Trudeau won't be PM in 2030, or anywhere close to that. So theres that..

I would say he's sinking his ship full of holes but he's been doing that for several years and keeps being kept afloat.

But yeah, the wording is quite clear, pretty hard to dispute Trudeau is at least stupidly outting his intent. Maybe he went off the script prompter again. They hate it when he does that..

It really is a baffling thing to come right out and say, though I suppose we should applaud the honesty. It probably says something to the level of distraction right now that comments like these can just be said right out in the open and barely register.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad