OT: Coronavirus XXIV Version B: The Shit Has Hit the Fan in Europe Again :( Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the saddest part of all of this pandemic IMO is how many of these lives we are losing because so many don’t consider them worthy of consideration.
people are getting unhealthy due to factors like moving around lot less and consuming drugs and alcohol at alarming rates...combine that with the mental state of fear and panic, it's damaging

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
people are getting unhealthy due to factors like moving around lot less and consuming drugs and alcohol at alarming rates...combine that with the mental state of fear and panic, it's damaging

Pretty much everything is back to business as usual these days so I'm not sure what the solution is to get people out of that mindset unless you want to start forcing people to go to the gym or something.

Reactions: Laodongxi

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Ya, I really agree. You have to think school is by far the biggest spreader. Pretty much everyone back in August knew that once school was back in the numbers would rise rapidly.

I think the Health Minsters position is that having kids not go to school is worse then the slow spread of COVID. The toll it takes on their mental health and learning is too much, especially for underprivileged kids.

I get that kids out of school creates spin off issues but there are manageable solutions. It’s just easier for them to point to other areas like weather and social gatherings where they deem the spin off issues less severe while downplaying the effects of school openings.

My whole issue is don’t shit in my hand and tell me I shit in my own hand. It’s no wonder so many people don’t listen to officials and have such a deep mistrust of government agencies. They’re part of the reason why misinformation is so rampant and people don’t know who to believe.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Damn, weren’t we below 300 just the other day?
Well 2 people in their 80's and 2 people im their 90's died today. They say from covid but probably one of many health problems they had. I really don't believe half of our Alberta deaths died from covid. Maybe died with it but most had multiple health problems. Average age of death in Alberta is 82 from this, the same age as the average life expectancy. From the start they should of protected long term care facilities. Even now they are not protecting them well. They are
More worried about restricting people's lives and telling them who you can have over to eat lol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Pretty much everything is back to business as usual these days so I'm not sure what the solution is to get people out of that mindset unless you want to start forcing people to go to the gym or something.

Takes a special kind of person to be this close minded. Do you know how many small businesses are shut down that will never reopen? How many people who have lost everything, including hope because of the constant doom and gloom? It’s sad that you don’t care about them at all. For someone who loves to preach how tolerant and great he is you really have zero empathy for others.

“Everything is back to business as usual” wow, it’s like you can’t even consider that there’s fallout from all the crap that people have been through this year.

Step one of the solution is empathy.

Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I get that kids out of school creates spin off issues but there are manageable solutions. It’s just easier for them to point to other areas like weather and social gatherings where they deem the spin off issues less severe while downplaying the effects of school openings.

My whole issue is don’t shit in my hand and tell me I shit in my own hand. It’s no wonder so many people don’t listen to officials and have such a deep mistrust of government agencies. They’re part of the reason why misinformation is so rampant and people don’t know who to believe.

thanks for the lol. So true.

Reactions: oilers'72

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Takes a special kind of person to be this close minded. Do you know how many small businesses are shut down that will never reopen? How many people who have lost everything, including hope because of the constant doom and gloom? It’s sad that you don’t care about them at all. For someone who loves to preach how tolerant and great he is you really have zero empathy for others.

“Everything is back to business as usual” wow, it’s like you can’t even consider that there’s fallout from all the crap that people have been through this year.

Step one of the solution is empathy.

It's almost as if you're responding to a different post. It's a legitimate question: if what's causing the damage now is people's concern for their own health, not lockdowns, then what's your solution? That's not a rhetorical question. How do you propose to get people back into stores and spending money (bearing in mind how tight the purse strings are for so many people now) without literally forcing them?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's almost as if you're responding to a different post. It's a legitimate question: if what's causing the damage now is people's concern for their own health, not lockdowns, then what's your solution? That's not a rhetorical question. How do you propose to get people back into stores and spending money (bearing in mind how tight the purse strings are for so many people now) without literally forcing them?

his response was completely ignoring the issue at hand and minimizing suicides and overdoses. The damage has been caused, the damage was done with zero consideration to what the fallout would be. Like I said step one is empathy. More attention in the media to mental health, more attention from the government to help those hurt by the over reaching restrictions. I addressed the poster via PM and he told me I needed to take a fistful of oxys...maybe that would help me...if that gives more context of where I’m coming from.

I think Hinshaw is doing the best she can honestly to keep things running, while keeping the death numbers low. I don’t have all the answers, not even close. But turning a blind eye to the death totals from the fallout of the restrictions doesn’t help.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and ujju2

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It’s not about “people spending money in stores”
Its the fear and panic from months of lockdown
It’s the unprecedented loss of jobs
It’s the constant isolation for some
There are many reasons

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
his response was completely ignoring the issue at hand and minimizing suicides and overdoses. The damage has been caused, the damage was done with zero consideration to what the fallout would be. Like I said step one is empathy. More attention in the media to mental health, more attention from the government to help those hurt by the over reaching restrictions. I addressed the poster via PM and he told me I needed to take a fistful of oxys...maybe that would help me...if that gives more context of where I’m coming from.

I still think it's a good question. (Not getting into your guys' specific issue.) How do you get things rolling again when the barrier is people themselves not wanting to get sick? Or at least that's a large part of it. If you don't physically force them (obviously we can't do that), then I'm not sure what the solution would be, other than some serious ad-like campaigns or similar such thing.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I still think it's a good question. (Not getting into your guys' specific issue.) How do you get things rolling again when the barrier is people themselves not wanting to get sick? Or at least that's a large part of it. If you don't physically force them (obviously we can't do that), then I'm not sure what the solution would be, other than some serious ad-like campaigns or similar such thing.

Yeah I hear what you’re saying. I don’t think it helps when the official opposition is basically calling the government child killers for opening schools, even though parents could still do online learning from home if they wanted. I think they need to work together and that the petty politics needs to stop. Stop spreading fear and misinformation and start promoting how things will only get better if we work together. I think there was a great opportunity at the end of the summer when numbers were low, but that was completely messed up. Instead of people being brought together they were pushed further apart.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

As always, this is a choice, for anybody. We've been MORE active during the pandemic and activity doesn't cost anything, and anybody can do it, starting with walking, hiking etc. Anybody healthy has access to the outdoors and this kind of activity hasn't been curbed in the slightest.

Theres no excuse for people to have turned to drug or alcohol abuse at this time and I wouldn't say there are "alarming rates".

Further, theres never been an easier time to be alive. 8M or more Canadians were collecting CERB. I mean thats stressful for people?

I would tend to lean towards easy money, idle hands, and people that get easily bored and have all this instant cash at their disposal contributing to just as much problems.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
As always, this is a choice, for anybody. We've been MORE active during the pandemic and activity doesn't cost anything, and anybody can do it, starting with walking, hiking etc. Anybody healthy has access to the outdoors and this kind of activity hasn't been curbed in the slightest.

Theres no excuse for people to have turned to drug or alcohol abuse at this time and I wouldn't say there are "alarming rates".

Further, theres never been an easier time to be alive. 8M or more Canadians were collecting CERB. I mean thats stressful for people?
You think the majority of people collecting CERB are happy to be receiving it?
Come on, you don’t make as much and eventually it runs out
My brother was on it for 7 months and hated it

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Only people who I know that enjoyed the CERB life were single young people who went from working part time to making double to sit at home.
For people with families the stress and desperation must have been awful. I’ve only been unemployed for a month out of the last 20 years, but it was stressful enough for me. I couldn’t imagine having it happen when there’s so much doom and gloom, and very little hope for the future.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And that’s just one family. Luckily they all were negative but imagine if that positive case transferred to 3-4 other students who went home to their families for a day or two before realizing they had been in contact with an infected individual and then they stayed home but everyone in their family cohort is going about their business.

They seem to be desperately trying to redirect away from schools spreading the virus and trying to put the blame on social gatherings but I don’t buy it.

In my experience people who have been gathering or playing sports have been doing so at the same level since June and July but the case numbers rising has really been since kids have been back in school.

People have been going to restaurants and bars and parties and playing sports since June/July and case numbers throughout June, July and August were stable. Kids go back to school in September and all of a sudden the numbers start climbing then come October they are fully spiralling... hmmmmm.

This though is not borne out by any age related statistic. You haven't factored in either that the Edmonton specific numbers were atypical of the province, and the Edmonton numbers specifically, went up before anywhwere else in the province. Why?

What actually is being stated is due to a bunch of dunderheads (and Edmonton has more of those per capita than anywhere in Canada) deciding to have parties, gatherings and with the tracking data largely pointing that way.

Meanwhile there is hardly any cases in the 5-9 age range, either active, or new cases. They just aren't occurring much at all. Very low numbers. There is ramp up in 10-19 age range but this still representing the 4th largest number of either active, or new cases. Behind all of 20-29, 30-39, 40-49. I mean thats what the numbers actually ARE.

I mean any of us can check, all the data is there case notes are there, outbreaks are there, school specific data there. Why do people need to theorize on alternate theory when the data is actually at our disposal, and when you have trustworthy authorities like Hinshaw actually summarizing the data?

I mean its kind of silly to completely anecdotal, and refute all the data provided. Thats just people believing what they want to believe.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I'm saying its relatively easy to be collecting CERB. Really in the history of Canada there hasn't been easier money doled out, EVER.

I'm not trying to be obstinate, insensitive, I'm railing against the notion that drugs, alcohol, are acceptable options during a pandemic. Anybody choosing that probably makes a lot of wrong decisions in their lives. At the worst time.

I mean sensibly when has there ever been a time, other than during a pandemic, to ensure ones maximum health, which any healthy person can do?

Reactions: HK97

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
You're dead wrong..many people are not afraid of their health at all. Why should they be?? Most have zero or mild symptoms and you have a better chance of dying in a car accident than be severely sick of covid. Nah most people I talk to don't like the restrictions or walking into places with masks and treating everyone like they have the plague. They are use to normal and not this freak show so many stay away. There is a small percentage that are afraid and that is their choice to stay away. In fact vulnerable should stay away from non essential businesses and stop whining for restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce