OT: Coronavirus XVII: Second Wave? More Like a Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I never went to Londonderry as a kid. That would have been the farthest section of the City away from Jasper Place where I grew up.

On the particular Target shopping cart escalator thing you had to position the cart on one flat escalator that had struts on it that would catch the wheels. You rode up side saddle on an adjacent flat escalator. A lot of people were confused naturally thinking you ride with the shopping cart. It was non intuitive.

Did you got to JP? I'm an FX kid.

Doesn't the Walmart in Westmount Mall have a cart escalator?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Didn’t somebody in Edmonton have shopping cart escalators in the past? I could swear I remember them as a kid in the seventies shopping in Londonderry Mall. Been so long but I think it was Woolco.
Woolco (was Kmart in the original post) had them. The first time experienced this was in Londonderry Mall. Then Walmart took over.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Did you got to JP? I'm an FX kid.

Doesn't the Walmart in Westmount Mall have a cart escalator?

Went to FX too. Same grade as the famous Mark Messier. Crazy that in one year the school contained 3 different students that would taste some NHL action. The other two got less famous stints in pro hockey. Mess left (how wild is this) school at age 16 to play pro hockey with Indianapolis or Cincinnati. They had him on a contract for 60K in the old WHA. One day sitting with him talking to him in Social Class. (Mr Tupper) next thing you'd see him playing on TV or against the Oilers of the day. Those were wild heady times.

One of the others that made the NHL was Mickey Volcan who had also played with Mark with the St Albert Saints and had 162 NHL games. In most schools he would be the most famous alumni, but of course with St FX its Mark Messier probably forever.

Mickey Volcan Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Mickey, some people nicknamed him Hollywood. He had the hair and tan always going on. He kind of had a big ego. Mark curiously was always just great to be around, would talk to any punter, like myself.

Watched a lot of Oilers games in 80's/90's at Heritage Mall lounge which had one of those big projection screens at the time.

I never go to Westmount Mall anymore. I live in Millhood.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
You know, for years I used to resent people that would crap on US citizens and thought that many of them were just assholes that would hold it against all of us that we had assclowns representing our country politically. Well at this point I throw my f***ing hands up, I didnt agree with the timing of the protests even though I understood the rationale behind them for those that werent just there to loot and disturb the peace. But this giant gathering of raging hormones with no distance or masks anywhere to be found is just f***ing Looney Toons. Literally those of us that have been careful, mindful of others, worn masks, kept distancing and have not been visiting friends and family just to see all of these big groups of people while the USA is seeing COVID run rampant is disgusting. I always thought that we had more than our share of idiots here in Hawaii and that many of them came from outside of Hawaii ie. California, but it looks like I seriously sold them short compared to the dip shits elsewhere in the US. Wake the f*** up you morons.

We have some of those same idiots here in Canada too. I wore a mask to the shopping mall last week and some of the looks I got said it all.

A lot of people are mighty proud of their ignorance.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
We have some of those same idiots here in Canada too. I wore a mask to the shopping mall last week and some of the looks I got said it all.

A lot of people are mighty proud of their ignorance.

I can see that. Happens the other way around as well unfortunately. I've had a number of Death Gaze glances pointed towards me by those wearing a mask. Hell, I missed an item in an aisle I was going down so I had to turn around and go against the arrows. Some older woman in a mask passes me and decides to say "wrong way" in a condescending tone. I respect our elders, but I was about to turn around and say "mind your own f***ing business old lady." Shit happens. Don't act like I'm traipsing around the aisles blowing chunks in your general direction. She probably didn't realize that I hold my breathe for the short time I pass people and am extremely cognisant of the health ramifications of those who happen to be immunosuppressed or compromised. For a number of reasons.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Everyone knows Covid has a moral compass and would never infect anyone protesting for the common good.

There were 147 new cases of covid in the Edmonton region from June 26th to July 2nd. That is most of the 240 active cases in Edmonton. The 15,000 person rally was June 5th. The incubation can be up to 14 days.

Is it possible people who attended the rally waited a couple days before getting tested and are part of that 147 cases? Certainly not if this moral compass exists.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dr. Hinshaw disagrees with the mayor. Protests didn't spread the virus. Family gatherings and restaurants did.

Everyone knows Covid has a moral compass and would never infect anyone protesting for the common good.

"Garcetti, a Democrat, was speaking at a press conference concerning the recent Black Lives Matter protests in Los Angeles when he was asked if the demonstrations were contributing to the spread of COVID-19.
He claimed he'd consulted with Dr. Barbara Ferrer, LA County's director of public health, and determined the protests were in fact contributing to the spread of the virus.
“I talked again with Dr. Ferrer about that this morning. She does think some of the spread did come from our protests," he said. "It’s not the act of protesting – that’s a great and American thing to do no matter what your opinion is… but protesting without maintaining physical distancing, without wearing your mask, without having sanitizer – we just have to be smart. Whether you’re at a protest or at your home, whether in your workplace or whether you’re out shopping, these rules don’t change.”
He added, “We do believe there is a connection, we don’t believe that everybody has been doing this safely and wherever you can, please stay at home.”

This is the second Democrat that I have seen say this, the first is our Lt. Governor Josh Green in Hawaii. I personally welcome the honesty and reminder for people to take the proper precautions regardless of the activity (outside of strenuous exercise or extreme difficulty breathing).

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
There were 147 new cases of covid in the Edmonton region from June 26th to July 2nd. That is most of the 240 active cases in Edmonton. The 15,000 person rally was June 5th. The incubation can be up to 14 days.

Is it possible people who attended the rally waited a couple days before getting tested and are part of that 147 cases? Certainly not if this moral compass exists.
Your timeline doesn't work at all. It is very possible that these rallies from groups of people you disrespect did not cause the increase 21 days later. Huge reach.

Reactions: Leo360

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Your timeline doesn't work at all. It is very possible that these rallies from groups of people you disrespect did not cause the increase 21 days later. Huge reach.

What about cases the week of June 19th to 25th? Unfortunately, those numbers are no longer on the Alberta government covid site. It seems implausible that no cases came from not following social distancing at the rallies. We don't know because Alberta Public Health hasn't issued any information on the situation.

How did I disrespect "groups of people" from these rallies? By asking questions about the impact of these rallies on public health?

Reactions: oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think unless NEW info about Covids link to the protests comes out we just need to stop talking about it. People clearly have firmly placed opinions on them and talking in circles is simply not doing anything. Everyone knows how everyone feels so until we get new info either way, it's probably time to just stop talking about it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Only issue I have with this personally is that I haven't been to a fast food outlet for a while. Why not supply them at the grocery stores as well? The question isn't directed at you Bellagiobob, just in general.

I'd guess it's because drive-thrus would be the easiest way for social distancing.

Reactions: Dorian2

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think unless NEW info about Covids link to the protests comes out we just need to stop talking about it.

There was new information posted 18 posts before yours. The mayor of LA was talking about the link between covid and protests. The story was published two days ago. Hopefully that is new enough for your standards.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You know, for years I used to resent people that would crap on US citizens and thought that many of them were just assholes that would hold it against all of us that we had assclowns representing our country politically. Well at this point I throw my f***ing hands up, I didnt agree with the timing of the protests even though I understood the rationale behind them for those that werent just there to loot and disturb the peace. But this giant gathering of raging hormones with no distance or masks anywhere to be found is just f***ing Looney Toons. Literally those of us that have been careful, mindful of others, worn masks, kept distancing and have not been visiting friends and family just to see all of these big groups of people while the USA is seeing COVID run rampant is disgusting. I always thought that we had more than our share of idiots here in Hawaii and that many of them came from outside of Hawaii ie. California, but it looks like I seriously sold them short compared to the dip shits elsewhere in the US. Wake the f*** up you morons.

In western society, in general we're raising generations that believe they are immune to everything because they have been sheltered all their lives. Helicopter parents is real, saving kids from their financial peril and buying them a house, car, its all real. So that the Privs kids are typically the biggest village idiots when it comes to all this. Affluent societies of course seeing more of this than impoverished ones. At least the saving behavior that is.

What else did somebody think would occur? Remove all sense of danger and peril in the world through vastly overprotecting, saving, empowering, and you yield generations that feel that nothing ever impacts them. Crisis, what crisis? If you don't know the meaning and feeling of being in real danger you don't comprehend the concept of mortality.

I touched on the other peril much earlier. The absolute enmeshment with gaming, tech devices, fantasy, and nonstop binge washing, text addictions has resulted in generations that are removed from reality. People that aren't really living in the present every day really have no conception of the finality of death. You don't get a restart, a play over, trying the level out again. I mean it sounds beyond the pale but they should start to do more studies on general detachment from reality. Even without all the drug use today, also excessive.

I used to work victim services stints. Theres NOTHING worse in life than arriving at some parents doorstep and telling them their son, daughter, is dead. Its not something you ever forget. The worst tragedy being nearly all of these are death by misadventure. The biggest tragedy is that sheltering doesn't protect kids as much as teaching them independent thought and evaluating risks, pressure, decision making. One life.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There was new information posted 18 posts before yours. The mayor of LA was talking about the link between covid and protests. The story was published two days ago. Hopefully that is new enough for your standards.
That was literally brought up 2 days ago, by you, when it was posted.

My point is there is no decent conversation going on about it, it's just a round and round of people getting mad at eachother.

It's obvious you and a few others hate the protests and are concerned about them, the majority of your posts here are about them.

And it's obvious that a few see no issues with them at all.

At this point sharing a politicians opinions about them aren't doing anything, especially re-bringing it up a few days later.

Unless there is evidence of it or a health expert straight up linking a bunch of cases to it, the conversation is straight up pointless at this point and I can guarantee causing the mods headaches.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only issue I have with this personally is that I haven't been to a fast food outlet for a while. Why not supply them at the grocery stores as well? The question isn't directed at you Bellagiobob, just in general.

Just for clarity they are also providing the masks, or at least were, at bus transit stations for those that are not driving. The reason stated for not doing this at Grocery stores is that they want to limit in numbers at grocery stores and all along have been telling people not to be frequenting stores all the time. (which seems to have gone hogwild) It was viewed that the safest transaction was the vehicle drive thru, with people of course in their vehicle. Not too bad a decision. I think they got more flack for it than is probably reasonable.

One thing I would say is unless they plan on further rollouts of these masks putting them out July 13 seems off to me. Would do it around August or September. Maybe they will roll more out at that time.

Reactions: Dorian2 and shoop

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
i touched on
the other peril much earlier. The absolute enmeshment with gaming, tech devices, fantasy, and nonstop binge washing, text addictions has resulted in generations that are removed from reality. People that aren't really living in the present every day really have no conception of the finality of death. You don't get a restart, a play over, trying the level out again. I mean it sounds beyond the pale but they should start to do more studies on general detachment from reality. Even without all the drug use today, also excessive.
I kind of disagree with this. The kids gaming and living in fantasy worlds are the ones going to massive pool parties and not wearing masks. Im one of those "lives in a fantasy world" types you describe. Lots of my friends are too. We are all the type that wear masks and are willing to stay in. For a couple reasons.

We understand that masks aren't perfect but adding a +4 to disease resistance in an area where you can get a disease is pretty value in keeping you alive. Also most gamers are more than willing to stay inside and stop the spread, we are introverts by trade.

We also understand that real life isn't like gaming. We understand that you don't get to try again at life, which is why we play games, doing any of this shit in real life is much harder.

Social media, Tik Tok and those are definitely more dangerous. They also gamify real life. With all the dumb challenges and doing real life things people do anything for that "social" boost they can get you.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was literally brought up 2 days ago, by you, when it was posted.

My point is there is no decent conversation going on about it, it's just a round and round of people getting mad at eachother.

It's obvious you and a few others hate the protests and are concerned about them, the majority of your posts here are about them.

And it's obvious that a few see no issues with them at all.

At this point sharing a politicians opinions about them aren't doing anything, especially re-bringing it up a few days later.

Unless there is evidence of it or a health expert straight up linking a bunch of cases to it, the conversation is straight up pointless at this point and I can guarantee causing the mods headaches.

But in fairness I'm not seeing this reply from you when somebody is citing an erroneous source that states no transmission occurred at the protests, riots, lootings and I've seen you like several of the posts stating it.

A lot of the counter has been due to bold face lying politicians and media outlets saying transmission did not occur at these events, at all. That again is a strictly politically motivated view. of course its going to anger people that were shut in for months and are likely to be shut in again in the US. Because of people that can't distance, isolate, avoid crowds, and avoid all recommendations, regardless of who is doing that, and for what reason.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But in fairness I'm not seeing this reply from you when somebody is citing an erroneous source that states no transmission occurred at the protests, riots, lootings and I've seen you like several of the posts stating it.

A lot of the counter has been due to bold face lying politicians and media outlets saying transmission did not occur at these events, at all. That again is a strictly politically motivated view. of course its going to anger people that were shut in for months and are likely to be shut in again in the US. Because of people that can't distance, isolate, avoid crowds, and avoid all recommendations, regardless of who is doing that, and for what reason.
I posted this because it was going round and round from both sides in no direction. If doulos or someone replied disagreeing with me I would of touched on his posts as well.

My point is doulos posts are politically motivated, Scoopies posts are politically motivated. Neither side is caring about the others evidence or lack of evidence. It's all assumptions on both sides.

Sadly no actual work was done to trace where the cases are coming from and until there is it's all he said she said we zero evidence and just political motivations on both sides.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I kind of disagree with this. The kids gaming and living in fantasy worlds are the ones going to massive pool parties and not wearing masks. Im one of those "lives in a fantasy world" types you describe. Lots of my friends are too. We are all the type that wear masks and are willing to stay in. For a couple reasons.

We understand that masks aren't perfect but adding a +4 to disease resistance in an area where you can get a disease is pretty value in keeping you alive. Also most gamers are more than willing to stay inside and stop the spread, we are introverts by trade.

We also understand that real life isn't like gaming. We understand that you don't get to try again at life, which is why we play games, doing any of this shit in real life is much harder.

Social media, Tik Tok and those are definitely more dangerous. They also gamify real life. With all the dumb challenges and doing real life things people do anything for that "social" boost they can get you.
This is mostly anecdotal. it isn't necessarily the case. Your specifics and delineating sub categories is speculative. I can substantiate my claims with all kinds of data. Generational age cohort increases of all STD's, increases in previously almost eradicated diseases, increases in diabetes, obesity.

Not to mention everything that people just figure they should be doing now. Drugs of all types, even things like vaping. Use of hookahs. So much the case that todays younger generations just try out every fad without even thinking of implications. Really its like they don't even care about the risks.

Maybe its fatalism, but increasingly younger generations don't exhibit similar concern for their own lives, futures etc. Could even be depression related.

This is one indicator of how little concerned adolescents are about their health. There has never been more widely available preventative information, more availability of prophylactic, safeguards. Its just blanket not listening, not doing anything and just going out and banging. These stats are hopeless;

Adolescents and Young Adults | Prevention | STDs | CDC

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is mostly anecdotal. it isn't necessarily the case. Your specifics and delineating sub categories is speculative. I can substantiate my claims with all kinds of data. Generational age cohort increases of all STD's, increases in previously almost eradicated diseases, increases in diabetes, obesity.

Not to mention everything that people just figure they should be doing now. Drugs of all types, even things like vaping. Use of hookahs. So much the case that todays younger generations just try out every fad without even thinking of implications. Really its like they don't even care about the risks.

Maybe its fatalism, but increasingly younger generations don't exhibit similar concern for their own lives, futures etc. Could even be depression related.

This is one indicator of how little concerned adolescents are about their health. There has never been more widely available preventative information, more availability of prophylactic, safeguards. Its just blanket not listening, not doing anything and just going out and banging. These stats are hopeless;

Adolescents and Young Adults | Prevention | STDs | CDC
I'm not saying the younger generation isn't bad. Just blaming it on gaming and watching fantasy world's isnt the issue. The gamers and fantasy world peeps arent the ones having a ton of unprotected sex and trying all different kinds of drug.

I guess even as an older millenial I do think of myself as a younger generation. I do know post millenials or whoever. The Tinder/Tik Tok generation are definitely practicing a ton of unsafe behaviors like you mention. The biggest issue with my generation is depression leading us to stay at home binge watch tv and eat too much, we internalize or anger and usually don't want to affect others.

The generations below mine, the kids in their early 20s now. Late 90s, early 2000s born seem to also not care and externalize all this not caring about anyone and if they hurt them or not.

I think both generations suffer from a defeatist attitude. The older just say screw it and become shut ins. The young say screw it and go out to ragers not giving a single shit about how it effects everyone else.

Also the gamers who get lost in fantasy worlds arent the ones having tons of unprotected sex ;)

Edit: To expand people who love getting lost in fantasy worlds often due so because they don't like this world and rather see a different one than partake in this one.

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad