OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Btw some spray parks opened today so I’m afraid of what the numbers are going to look like in a week.
I can't see it being a great idea. Spray parks have so many mutually touched surfaces, all the buttons to press the sprays, and close proximity. I'm unfamiliar though if the water in these parks is chlorinated, how much, and how much is required to combat covid infection. Isn't the water in these also recirculated somewhat through pumps? Seems like a bad idea, all round.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It begs the question ... given that the currently available yearly ‘flu shots’ (notice they never call them vaccines) are notoriously hit and miss, what makes you think they will ever come up with a safe, effective vaccine for covid19?

I don't agree with your take here. Developing a flu vaccine is a crapshoot. It involves forecasting which virus strains will be more prevalent in a given season across the globe. But even if the flushot in a given year is vaccinating people from say 40% of the stains that end up occurring this is still immense as a public health benefit and still impacts what spread of flu would otherwise be. It would be great if flushots were able to cover say 60% broad spectrum in a given season and achieve close to a number that approximate herd immunity but given the nature of viral mutation its not realistic.

Your point stands that covid and its strains will likely be difficult to cover, and would involve similar guesstimates, but even if we achieve 30-40% efficacy in vaccinating against some dominant Covid forms its significant. Anything that impacts the spread potential of the virus is helpful. Sure won't eradicate it, but mitigate it. So that hospitals and health services can handle the degree of cases.

Not in response to your post but I don't think the solution for Coronavirus involves specifically a typical vaccine (of deactivated or compromised virus materials), I think the treatment will involve a serum that impacts the virus activation of the bodies anti-immune system to such a degree that the bodies defences become the lethal mechanism. Any serums that ameliorate the reactions which Covid-19 produce in the body may decrease degree of illness, mortality, etc. I think its plausible that such a serum, if found, perhaps could end up having some broader spectrum benefit in combatting various covid strains. Doesn't the Pneumonia shot work on similar principles? That it reduces the degree to which the lungs get filled and infected? With Pneumonia similarly involving autoimmune activation.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Do I have to self isolate for 10 days if I have allergies to the pollen, fluff, and other crap floating around?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do I have to self isolate for 10 days if I have allergies to the pollen, fluff, and other crap floating around?

Thanks to the city not mowing for a month yesterday it was literally snowing pollen and fluff from the expansive city fields near where we live. My nose was constantly itching and I've been trying for months not to touch my face. Yesterday I couldn't pull it off. Every 10 secs my nose would start itching and I sometimes forgot. Off the charts pollen levels probably don't help anybody during a pandemic.

Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Not at all. Might want to wear a mask if you're prone to sneezing fits that spread snot all over the place though. :nod: It's interesting in our area we've had a LOT less pollen flying around from the Poplars though. Hopefully the folks that have those trees are cutting them down.

Last edited:
Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So the, "I am morally superior to those who go outside to work and contribute to the economy because I hide in my house while we destroy the economy and our children's future." mantra is back again.

Bemusing.
You know the economy isn't going to just magically recover overnight, right? I mean it was already shit to begin with.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A global pandemic with half a million dead and just warming up into Great Depression 2 and unkept grass is what grinds your gears? Surely the UN sees the horror happening in our city...
First world problems.:) I think the other two larger items have been analyzed and beaten to death, don't you? The depressed economy and COVID simply aren't focused on enough, and we should just forget everything else out there. Might as well let all the roads and buildings crumple too.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Cost savings + COVID. Cutting grass is far from an essential service so they have put it on pause for the foreseeable future.
Actually, it is an essential service, don't be ridiculous. We're not in a war zone. You can't just let it grow uncontrolled for the entire year. But you probably don't see because you've likely been isolating for the last 3 months.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
A global pandemic with half a million dead and just warming up into Great Depression 2 and unkept grass is what grinds your gears? Surely the UN sees the horror happening in our city...
Was cutting my lawn with the weed walker last week and an old guy passed pushing his lawn mower towards the park, violat archer park in Parkallen. He told me he was goi g to mow the park. So I went with him and weed whacked until my battery was done. I was a great opportunity and I’m happy the city didn’t do it or I would have never meet him.

Reactions: Leo360 and Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Was cutting my lawn with the weed walker last week and an old guy passed pushing his lawn mower towards the park, violat archer park in Parkallen. He told me he was goi g to mow the park. So I went with him and weed whacked until my battery was done. I was a great opportunity and I’m happy the city didn’t do it or I would have never meet him.

A little OT. A few years ago there was a guy in our old cul de sac that had a CAT that he'd use to move the snow into a mound that ended up being like a ring road. It was great. All the neighbors loved the fact he did it for us. City caught wind and put a stop to it immediatly citing that the sub contractors hired by the city were to remove the snow. You can fill in the rest of the story... lol

Reactions: AM

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I wonder if COVID-19 wasn’t brought to our attention if we would of noticed a deadly coronavirus was circulating here in Alberta and Canada wide.

Care homes getting wiped out definitely would have not gone unnoticed. Researchers would have found almost immediately that the infection was something unknown that zero people have immunity to.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Care homes getting wiped out definitely would have not gone unnoticed. Researchers would have found almost immediately that the infection was something unknown that zero people have immunity to.
Ya good point. I forgot about how badly seniors in care homes got hit.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't agree with your take here. Developing a flu vaccine is a crapshoot
That’s the beauty of the board. We can disagree respectfully and we are all entitled to be wrong sometimes. I’m not going to go long winded on a reply to your post because I think you largely address a different point than the one I was trying to make.

Everyone is of course welcome to take the ‘flu shot’ if they feel like doing so every year in the hope that the medical community has guessed right. My point was that if you need a new shot year after year, and the shot isn’t even close to guaranteed immunity, then it really isn’t a ‘vaccine’ as the word has been commonly used in our lifetimes, is it?

My secondary point was that people placing their hope in a covid vaccine are probably in for a disappointment. It’s not going to come out anytime soon and when it does it isn’t likely to be any more accurate than the ‘flu shots’ currently available. We’d be better off continuing with the smarter social interaction, hand washing and masks. But hey, if you like the 30-40% odds you mention (no idea if those are accurate numbers or not) it’s none of my business.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
That’s the beauty of the board. We can disagree respectfully and we are all entitled to be wrong sometimes. I’m not going to go long winded on a reply to your post because I think you largely address a different point than the one I was trying to make.

Everyone is of course welcome to take the ‘flu shot’ if they feel like doing so every year in the hope that the medical community has guessed right. My point was that if you need a new shot year after year, and the shot isn’t even close to guaranteed immunity, then it really isn’t a ‘vaccine’ as the word has been commonly used in our lifetimes, is it?

My secondary point was that people placing their hope in a covid vaccine are probably in for a disappointment. It’s not going to come out anytime soon and when it does it isn’t likely to be any more accurate than the ‘flu shots’ currently available. We’d be better off continuing with the smarter social interaction, hand washing and masks. But hey, if you like the 30-40% odds you mention (no idea if those are accurate numbers or not) it’s none of my business.
They always include h1n1 so in that way it’s not scrap shoot. And likely Covid 19 will be included once it’s available.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

A group of people went out and cut a local field near to where I live this sunmer. Bunch of people just pushing mowers around by hand for several hours. People got upset with then because they figured they were removing the flowers for bees. You cant please everyone no matter what you do!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

We're not far off on this. All the above on par.

I totally agree that the hope for a magic cure vaccine is probably just that. Which I specifically mentioned that the real mitigation probably involves treatment rather than vaccination or cure. I agree as well that its probably pandemic new normal and also that the wearing of masks in cnclosed public places, at work, school etc, it needs to be the new normal, and no reason not to. I welcome that its become more acceptable here now to be wearing a mask, which should have been the case anyway. I've had so many colds, respiratory infections etc in my life, and I'm prone to it because of having some degree of asthma. allergies amd prior infections and reduced immunity due to work stress and being exposed to populations where people are often sick. Had I gone to work even a few years ago with a mask I would have been instructed to take it off or go home, you're making people nervous.

NA has had a long insane disdain for this type of PPD prevention. I welcome that the world may shift to more preventative use of masks which limits not only Covid-19 but the flu, cold, any other respiratory contagion as well. For a respiratory sufferer I am thankful that society will have to be more accepting of people's choice to wear masks. Also thankful that the NA expectation to come to work in any state, no matter how sick, that puritanical hubris, is probably dead and gone. That's the world I've lived in here my whole life. A work world that makes you feel like a villain for simply phoning in sick when you are sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skar

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
A group of people went out and cut a local field near to where I live this sunmer. Bunch of people just pushing mowers around by hand for several hours. People got upset with then because they figured they were removing the flowers for bees. You cant please everyone no matter what you do!
I agree, but I don’t try anyways.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Was out and about a lot this weekend, and my general impression from viewing others actions was ‘virus, what virus?’

Reactions: Dorian2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad