OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
3M overnight stays is still a lot, and is very important to our local economy. My initial point still stands.

Saskatoon gets 2.2M visits per year and well over a M overnight stays. Tourism is *part* of the economy but Edmonton is still a tourism backwater for respective size and affluence of city and country. Edmonton would be on a list of major cities in Canada that is more miss, than hit.

What could improve this is better amenity getting from airport, getting from train station, getting some greyhound resurrected, and getting efficient and daily transportation to the mountain parks. Edmonton addressed 1 of those considerations in the decades they've known them to be a problem.

The chief problem is Edmonton EXCLUDES itself from easy access to the mountain parks that make up pretty much every international visitor itinerary. The average visitor just finds that Calgary is much better suite for acces and then people can hit up Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise. Edmonton does itself no favors in completely ignoring that Mountain parks are the chief draw in Alberta.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Saskatoon gets 2.2M visits per year and well over a M overnight stays. Tourism is *part* of the economy but Edmonton is still a tourism backwater for respective size and affluence of city and country. Edmonton would be on a list of major cities in Canada that is more miss, than hit.

What could improve this is better amenity getting from airport, getting from train station, getting some greyhound resurrected, and getting efficient and daily transportation to the mountain parks. Edmonton addressed 1 of those considerations in the decades they've known them to be a problem.

The chief problem is Edmonton EXCLUDES itself from easy access to the mountain parks that make up pretty much every international visitor itinerary. The average visitor just finds that Calgary is much better suite for acces and then people can hit up Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise. Edmonton does itself no favors in completely ignoring that Mountain parks are the chief draw in Alberta.

I'm not saying Edmonton is the crown jewel of travel destinations. Far from it. All I'm saying is we get a lot of visitors that spend a lot of money here. They may mainly be from rural Alberta or Saskatchewan, doesn't really matter, they are important to our economy. Put some lipstick on the pig and cut the grass! ;)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Edmonton passes Calgary with 213 active cases. Calgary at 212 per the data on the AB gov't site.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sweet, shamwow guy (beat up by a hooker guy) is selling shamwow masks that have zinc in them! $30 a piece.

Reactions: MesstoFace11

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
213 people out of 1.4 million. Better shut the city down again.....

Know you're joking, but one thing worth pointing out is that it sounds like the majority of cases in AB are coming out of known sources and from tracing. Hope that continues.

If cases start blowing up with no known origin, who knows what that leads to with the decision makers.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Know you're joking, but one thing worth pointing out is that it sounds like the majority of cases in AB are coming out of known sources and from tracing. Hope that continues.

If cases start blowing up with no known origin, who knows what that leads to with the decision makers.

I just think we need to be cautious as a community instead of going back to the original lockdown. It will hurt to many people in the long run.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
What don't like the fact that most people living past 80 years old usually have had modern medicine keep them alive only to have them put in to a waiting to die home.
I hope if you ever need medical treatment that you decide to stick to your morals and refuse it.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Covid will be killing millions globally until a vaccine is found
It begs the question ... given that the currently available yearly ‘flu shots’ (notice they never call them vaccines) are notoriously hit and miss, what makes you think they will ever come up with a safe, effective vaccine for covid19?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It begs the question ... given that the currently available yearly ‘flu shots’ (notice they never call them vaccines) are notoriously hit and miss, what makes you think they will ever come up with a safe, effective vaccine for covid19?

A lot will depend on how quickly the virus is able to mutate into having a new cell attachment mechanism (which renders ineffective the immunity we would get to SARS-CoV-2). Researchers so far believe this virus mutates less than the flu, so there should be greater time between new strains appearing that need a different antibody. If they are wrong through, could definitely lead to a pretty crappy new normal for society. Another factor that could be inconvenient would be that a vaccine can't stimulate the body to create an immunity that can last for 2+ years.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Who are "they"? The vaccinations are officially called the seasonal influenza vaccines in the government of Canada website, and the CDC website. You can find them here: Canadian Immunization Guide Chapter on Influenza and Statement on Seasonal Influenza Vaccine for 2019–2020 - Canada.ca

Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

The flu vaccines are hit and miss because of the guess work involved in determining which specific strain of influenza will be circulating in each particular year. Since there will be a specific virus being targeted this time around, the efficacy of this vaccination should be more reasonable. With that being said, there are of course concerns already about the length of immunity provided by the COVID-19 vaccinations, as well as the length of time required to produce a safe, effective vaccine.

The fastest vaccine was produced for mumps in 1967, and that took more than 4 years. With technological advancements and the collaborative effort going on with the COVID-19 vaccination research and development, I don't see why we can't have an effective virus within the next few years.

Reactions: Senor Catface

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I'm seeing Calgary at 238 active cases and Edmonton at 223. Also Calgary has 23 in hospital and Edmonton has 11. So Edmonton is still ahead but not by as much.

Cases in Alberta

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Btw some spray parks opened today so I’m afraid of what the numbers are going to look like in a week.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Not how it works. Yearly flu vaccine is always good for the strains chosen.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I tried my magic wand but it didn’t work. You’re going to have to hit it with you polcorrec beam again.
Another member of the “me first” movement not concerned with protecting the vulnerable... Who cares who dies as long as you can go back to work and go to The Pint on Jasper, right?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Another member of the “me first” movement not concerned with protecting the vulnerable... Who cares who dies as long as you can go back to work and go to The Pint on Jasper, right?
You really shouldn’t assume things about people, you’re not very good at it. Wishing things to be so doesn’t make them so. Even if you recite the pc mantra over and over again.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Who are "they"? The vaccinations are officially called the seasonal influenza vaccines in the government of Canada website, and the CDC website.
Its poor wording on my part. Apologies. What I wanted to convey was that the ‘flu shot’ should not properly be called a vaccine. A vaccine conveys lasting immunity on the recipient. In other words if you get the vaccine you don’t get the illness. For some proven vaccines a booster shot may be recommended over long term intervals like ten years or more. The ‘flu shot’ is none of that. It may work if the strain that shows up that year is the ‘right’ one. Usually more than one strain appears. Many people who take the ‘flu shot’ still fall ill. The shot may mitigate the seriousness or duration of their symptoms. Or not. That’s not a vaccine.

There are already suggestions that various strains of covid are circulating. However scientists cannot agree. Will the same one come again next year? Will it be even more potent? Will it fade away naturally to be replaced by something else?

COVID-19: How many strains of the new coronavirus are there?

The flu vaccines are hit and miss because of the guess work involved in determining which specific strain of influenza will be circulating in each particular year. Since there will be a specific virus being targeted this time around, the efficacy of this vaccination should be more reasonable. With that being said, there are of course concerns already about the length of immunity provided by the COVID-19 vaccinations, as well as the length of time required to produce a safe, effective vaccine.

The fastest vaccine was produced for mumps in 1967, and that took more than 4 years. With technological advancements and the collaborative effort going on with the COVID-19 vaccination research and development, I don't see why we can't have an effective virus within the next few years.
I mostly agree with the sentiment behind this, and it’s a reasonable take. However, as you say immunity appears to be uncertain. Would a ‘vaccine’ then convey immunity? If not what good is it? How do we know that covid doesn’t mutate into something different in the extremely optimistic two year time window you set? Look, they haven’t even got testing right yet. I think that makes them a long way from a real vaccine. I obviously wish the medical community luck, but I’m definitely not going to be holding my breath waiting for a ‘vaccine’. Nor will I be lining up to take it when they do eventually roll it out.

Not how it works. Yearly flu vaccine is always good for the strains chosen.
No it isn’t.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

These are inappropriate comments. In other posts you decry that people label, or stoop to it. But you do it often. You would certainly react if this comment was directed at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad