OT: Coronavirus XVI: Hey Covid-19, Piss Off Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I get the impulse to overstate in times like this, but the 5% figure doesn't reflect reality.

From the two restaurants I have eaten at, and a third I have gotten pickup from, since the lockdowns have opened it was much more than 5%.

Maybe I just happened to go to those places that are exceptions to the 5% capacity you speak of.

It's not literally 5%. Nobody has done in a study in three weeks to get a number. It was hyperbole to make a point. They aren't struggling because they're at 50% capacity, they aren't anywhere near their capacity.

They're throwing away food because nobody went to them during Phase 1 in Edmonton. People are still probably ordering takeout and going to drive-thru windows because it is safer.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Do you suggest everyone go outside with their guns and shoot the virus?

I was back in Edmonton last weekend as well, the city hasn't changed outside of the development around the arena and 124st being a lot nicer. What part of town were you wandering around?
Whyte Ave was dead when we were there last week one evening.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought Whyte ave was bumping last Wednesday. I was surprised how busy it was, I think I overheard someone say that it was over an hour and a half wait for Julios.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Restaurants aren't filling 5% capacity right now. Nobody is going to them.

We're going to start losing restaurants in Edmonton faster than we did in the lockdown because now they have overhead.
Been to 2 of them last week, and one was nearly at it's full "Covid" capacity and the other about 50 %, so not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Of course, due to the social spacing, even at an upgraded 100 % capacity allowed, it still will be very difficult for a lot of places to keep going, due to the very tight margins in that class of business. Many of the survivors will continue to offer their take-out and curbside pickup to help mitigate costs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought Whyte ave was bumping last Wednesday. I was surprised how busy it was, I think I overheard someone say that it was over an hour and a half wait for Julios.
When you can only get 30 people in a place, the lineups will look quite long.:D Go to Costco and look at the lineup to get in. You'd think it was 500 people based on the length, but when you actually get there, it's a 10 minute wait.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Covid sure didn't help the cause, but there have been a lot of struggling businesses in this City. Covid just pretty much ended them sooner that expected.

I took a picture of my co-pilot standing on the Jasper Avenue sidewalk because of his disbelief in how it looked. He had not seen it for five years.

Whyte Ave was no better. Sidewalks were near empty on a beautiful Sunny Sunday afternoon. Very few restaurants appeared to be open. The ones that were looked to be from that 5% to around 70 - 80 % full.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It will change, but rough times for many places. Eventually new places will open up as well, which will be nice.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
With a consistent rise in cases, would there not be some value in Hinshaw or someone else actually telling some stories about how clusters of people caught it? Mistakes people made? Situations they put themselves into. Maybe people that refused to quarantine and caused a spread. Maybe some info about tracing that was successful by questioning or using the app.

The broad request to help eachother and do the right thing isn't working well enough it appears to slow things down. Feel like some examples to stick in peoples minds would help as well. I know she mentioned 2 family gatherings last week, but been a lot more cases since then.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It's not literally 5%. Nobody has done in a study in three weeks to get a number. It was hyperbole to make a point. They aren't struggling because they're at 50% capacity, they aren't anywhere near their capacity.

They are close to the 50% from my experience. Have you actually gone to any restaurants since Phase 1 and seen what capacity is at?

They're throwing away food because nobody went to them during Phase 1 in Edmonton.

Phase 2 started five days ago. Any food from phase 1 has been used or is spoiled already.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A thread by Dr. Deena Hinshaw

Here is a summary thread of today’s #COVID19AB update.

6,893 Albertans have recovered leaving 486 active cases. 38 people are hospitalized with 7 in ICUs. There are 48 new cases out of 6,982 tests. There have been no new deaths. We’ve now surpassed 350,000 tests. (1/6)

I want to recognize the 151 lives lost to COVID-19 – ranging in ages from 27-105, most had two or more underlying conditions but a small number had none. They will all be missed. (2/6)

We are challenged during #COVID19AB to live with uncertainty – 1 of the hardest things to do. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health reports a significant impact on Canadians: 1/5 had moderate to severe anxiety recently due to factors like job loss & fear of the virus. (3/6)

If you feel anxious, this is natural—and you are not alone. Take care of yourself through practices like sleep, connecting safely w/loved ones, exercise & meditation. Anxiety & fear are built-in mechanisms to keep us safe. The challenge is to anchor to facts. (4/6)

Following public health guidelines can help increase a feeling of being in control. Text4Hope offers advice & encouragement - text COVID19HOPE to 393939. You can also call mental health helplines 24/7 or access local counselling. Get info on AHS or Alberta Health websites. (5/6)

We’re in a new phase of COVID-19, the spread is relatively stable. Albertans may not hear from me as often. The onus is on all of us to protect each other. Let’s all take responsibility for our actions & get tested even without symptoms & download ABTraceTogether. (6/6)

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

They're throwing away food because nobody went to them during Phase 1 in Edmonton. People are still probably ordering takeout and going to drive-thru windows because it is safer.
Since the pandemic I’ve been to about 20 restaurants. About 5 since you could sit down and eat. Something like30-40% capacity. Had to wait at one for 30 minutes to get in, so I guess they were at 50. Course anything below full capacity will likely tip most into bankruptcy. They are all going to have to rediscover a successful strategy. Judging by Peters opening up, prepare to eat like the 50’s until there is a vaccine.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Since the pandemic I’ve been to about 20 restaurants. About 5 since you could sit down and eat. Something like30-40% capacity. Had to wait at one for 30 minutes to get in, so I guess they were at 50. Course anything below full capacity will likely tip most into bankruptcy. They are all going to have to rediscover a successful strategy. Judging by Peters opening up, prepare to eat like the 50’s until there is a vaccine.
The restaurant industry already runs on such tight margins, I think they all lose money unless near full capacity.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think I have scarfed down a dozen Pete's doubles since they opened.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It will change, but rough times for many places. Eventually new places will open up as well, which will be nice.

I dont know how it is up there as I havent been there for a decade, but we have a lot of food trucks here. I think that businesses like those and little holes in the wall will probably be fine if they have decent food at a decent price. The only way that I see new restaurants opening in any kind of numbers would be if they step into old restaurants that have shut down and get very business friendly leases because the commercial properties are sitting empty.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
we have a lot of food trucks here.

You are fortunate enough to live somewhere that food trucks can operate 365 days a year. Rain might hurt business but at least they could operate.

Nobody wants to go to a food truck in -30. Nevermind working in one when it is that cold.

The only way that I see new restaurants opening in any kind of numbers would be if they step into old restaurants that have shut down and get very business friendly leases because the commercial properties are sitting empty.

I suspect this is what will happen. The new leases will only be seen as business friendly leases from the pre-virus perspective. It will be a new normal. Once the dust settles the wave of small business failures will cause real problems with the real estate market in Canada.

There is some pretty prime restaurant space open in Edmonton now.

For example, all the Red Robins in Alberta closed including five in the Edmonton region. The location in Oliver closed eight months ago. I'd bet someone could get that space for much less than half of what the franchisee was leasing it for. The two Doan's are in pretty prime locations. Characters closed 18 months ago and I believe the space is still vacant. The two Montana's that closed (West End and Calgary trail) still haven't been leased. Same with the five Tony Roma's.

Landlords will have no leverage over people brave enough to open a new restaurant.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Today was my first day back in the office (in New York for those of you who don't know) and let me tell you something, we're f***ed.
It was only a sparse amount of people in Manhattan relative to normal (still crowded relative to most places) and half the people weren't wearing masks talking with their buddies/significant other or on a cell spraying those droplets everywhere and some that had masks were walking around with them pulled down (what's the point of wearing one in a crowded environment if it's not on the face?). Even some people inside my building weren't wearing masks.

I just don't see how there won't be a huge 2nd wave when everything reopens and with the thousands and thousands of protesters crowding the streets, lots of people walking around as if coronavirus doesn't exist anymore. Sigh

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Today was my first day back in the office (in New York for those of you who don't know) and let me tell you something, we're f***ed.
It was only a sparse amount of people in Manhattan relative to normal (still crowded relative to most places) and half the people weren't wearing masks talking with their buddies/significant other or on a cell spraying those droplets everywhere and some that had masks were walking around with them pulled down (what's the point of wearing one in a crowded environment if it's not on the face?). Even some people inside my building weren't wearing masks.

I just don't see how there won't be a huge 2nd wave when everything reopens and with the thousands and thousands of protesters crowding the streets, lots of people walking around as if coronavirus doesn't exist anymore. Sigh

Good luck and stay safe. Don't know what else to say honestly. Tough situation there. I wouldn't even be able to imagine what it's like there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Good luck and stay safe. Don't know what else to say honestly. Tough situation there. I wouldn't even be able to imagine what it's like there.

Thanks.
I was just shaking my head at some of the stuff I saw, just completely oblivious action by so many. People are free to do whatever they want but it's just disappointing to see so many not following a very basic safety protocol and these are the same people who will complain when things lock down again.

Reactions: Dorian2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad