Coronavirus Thread - mod note post 23 & 541

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Like 2009... .

Anyway, that reminds me of the goalie Marc-Andre Fleury and why goalies...

giphy.webp

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Ah, so you're Crisp_Card_Collector69. Well played.

Yolo_Swaggins420 tips his hat to you.
I will pretend to know what this means.

Used to watch this at night back in the day. Sleazy seller, hyper dude on a crappy phone connection. West used to yell "PSA MIIIIINNNNT!" My friend called them one night yelled "PSA MIIIIIINNNNT" and hung up. Great memories. These guys were spoofed on SNL a few times.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Used to watch this at night back in the day. Sleazy seller, hyper dude on a crappy phone connection. West used to yell "PSA MIIIIINNNNT!" My friend called them one night yelled "PSA MIIIIIINNNNT" and hung up. Great memories. These guys were spoofed on SNL a few times.

Cards just weren't on my collectible quest list after pre-teens. I've become way more practical with my sports collections I guess as right now I've got a list of shirseys I want to get of my favorite players.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Don West is more well known now as the former commentator for TNA Wrestling

However the first time I ever heard of him was by seeing him hock trading cards on some random channel at 1AM. As someone who used to collect cards, I'll admit I watched for a few minutes.

ROOKIE!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Like 2009... .
LOL, a little different when it's a virus plus Bettman gave the Pens that Cup. I remember Malkin instigating at the end of the game 2 and they rescinded the automatic suspension.

Kudos to my better half for finding this one:

EUP8k5VWsAAG6dY.jpg
Well, at least the city will get to watch the Cup finals if the season continues. (Proposal is to play in Toronto and Edmonton.)

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Don West is more well known now as the former commentator for TNA Wrestling

However the first time I ever heard of him was by seeing him hock trading cards on some random channel at 1AM. As someone who used to collect cards, I'll admit I watched for a few minutes.

ROOKIE!

Some passed along a TNA clip to me years ago and when I was watching the video I was like "I know this voice". Then I saw him and my mind was blown. "It's the PSA mint guy!"

GRIFFEY ROOKIE! SOSA ROOKIE!

Time flies. This was around 20 years ago when West was hawking common cards on a QVC imposter.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Anyone who has a business is figuring out how they can go back to work.
NHL is no different.
The athletes are at risk, because you really can't play wearing a mask, I don't think. And they will be in close proximity in lockerrooms, etc.
Trainers and other arena staff may be at work, as well.
But what can you do?
You can battle over salary.
You can toss out next year's salary - because escrow will kill it.

If you want to be a pro athlete and make millions, you risk it.
If not, you don't.

I know I would.

Perhaps they could try the new Bauer stuff? Not ideal, but might be an extra layer of protection.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ivy League postponing or cancelling all fall sports:
Ivy League rules out playing all sports this fall

Half of the hockey teams in the ECAC are Ivy League schools, so I would assume the league is postponing the season.

We'll see if any other leagues follow suit.

Hate to see it, but this is the best choice. Glad they are doing it for their students. These kids, especially at these schools, need to be worried about their academics in a difficult time above all else.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
There's been some chatter on sports radio about NCAA playing in the spring. Chris Russo was discussing it with Herm Edwards yesterday. Not a bad idea if they want to postpone. Sports is working elsewhere, though, even full contact sports like Australian Football League. Fair dinkum game.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There's been some chatter on sports radio about NCAA playing in the spring. Chris Russo was discussing it with Herm Edwards yesterday. Not a bad idea if they want to postpone. Sports is working elsewhere, though, even full contact sports like Australian Football League. Fair dinkum game.

Just for some comparisons. Australia has seen an increase in their cases since two weeks ago. On June 18th they had 21 cases.

Australia had 173 new cases today.
Or 0.000648% of their population.

The US had 62,425.
Or 0.019% of the population.

That's a magnitude of 29.3 time greater infection rates among the population, even with the recent Aussie surge which is 8 times greater than it was a few weeks ago.

And quite honestly, I trust Aussies to have more accurate testing numbers than us.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't see any way sports are going to happen in anything approaching normal. I'm sure they will try - the athletic departments need the money - but once outbreaks start happening they will be forced to shut things down. It's not apples to apples to compare the US response to the way things have been handled in Europe or Australia and New Zealand. We've totally bungled containment and still have no plan in place for trying to contain the virus. Trump is complaining about testing and is basically extorting school districts saying if they don't open up in the fall they will not get any funding. Just like he riled up his base to go out and "liberate their states". How's that working out?

Yes, online leaning has not gone well. Is this a surprise given it was implemented very quickly with no planning whatsoever?

Reactions: odin1981 and Bench

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't see any way sports are going to happen in anything approaching normal. I'm sure they will try - the athletic departments need the money - but once outbreaks start happening they will be forced to shut things down. It's not apples to apples to compare the US response to the way things have been handled in Europe or Australia and New Zealand. We've totally bungled containment and still have no plan in place for trying to contain the virus. Trump is complaining about testing and is basically extorting school districts saying if they don't open up in the fall they will not get any funding. Just like he riled up his base to go out and "liberate their states". How's that working out?

Yes, online leaning has not gone well. Is this a surprise given it was implemented very quickly with no planning whatsoever?

I will stop you from re-opening seasons for sports, COVID!

You will try.

Later....

It's over, SARS COV-2, I have the high ground!

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Just for some comparisons. Australia has seen an increase in their cases since two weeks ago. On June 18th they had 21 cases.

Australia had 173 new cases today.
Or 0.000648% of their population.

The US had 62,425.
Or 0.019% of the population.

That's a magnitude of 29.3 time greater infection rates among the population, even with the recent Aussie surge which is 8 times greater than it was a few weeks ago.

And quite honestly, I trust Aussies to have more accurate testing numbers than us.

What are testing rates? Who's getting tested?
Case counts are enormously misleading about the spread of COVID-19.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What are testing rates? Who's getting tested?
Case counts are enormously misleading about the spread of COVID-19.

Yes, I alluded to this. And I maintain that Australia, with a public funded health care system and access for all citizens, is going to have better testing.

On top of that, they also do not have a president that is telling states to STOP testing so much, because it keeps revealing how shitty we are doing. And we have evidence of pressure to suppress numbers here, such as in Florida.

Look, you have a point about raw data and how we interpret it, but if you think for one minute that the island of Australia is remotely comparable to what is happening here right now in the US... That's bonkers. It's much worse here and I don't know a single epidemiologist that would argue otherwise.

Aussie football can work because they have COVID basically handled at this point. Not beat, but they are OK. The US, conversely, has never been worse in many areas. That's the takeaway.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yes, I alluded to this. And I maintain that Australia, with a public funded health care system and access for all citizens, is going to have better testing.

On top of that, they also do not have a president that is telling states to STOP testing so much, because it keeps revealing how shitty we are doing. And we have evidence of pressure to suppress numbers here, such as in Florida.

Look, you have a point about raw data and how we interpret it, but if you think for one minute that the island of Australia is remotely comparable to what is happening here right now in the US... That's bonkers. It's much worse here and I don't know a single epidemiologist that would argue otherwise.

Aussie football can work because they have COVID basically handled at this point. Not beat, but they are OK. The US, conversely, has never been worse in many areas. That's the takeaway.

I have no opinion on Australia's handling of COVID. Never looked at it.
I think every urban center in America is going to have a COVID crisis. I don't think much will stop it. Masks. Social Distancing. Lockdowns. Whatever.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I have no opinion on Australia's handling of COVID. Never looked at it.
I think every urban center in America is going to have a COVID crisis. I don't think much will stop it. Masks. Social Distancing. Lockdowns. Whatever.

Australia was very much a success story. They are seeing a spike happening now, which has them back on alert, but their definition of a spike is 100 or so more cases... not tens of thousands.

The measures you listed are essential to protect vulnerable people and continue to spread out the rate of infections. Whether you feel fatalistic about our chances or not, it's still vital people continue to try.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Australia was very much a success story. They are seeing a spike happening now, which has them back on alert, but their definition of a spike is 100 or so more cases... not tens of thousands.

The measures you listed are essential to protect vulnerable people and continue to spread out the rate of infections. Whether you feel fatalistic about our chances or not, it's still vital people continue to try.

There's growing evidence the draconian lockdowns hurt as much as they help.
For the last 7 weeks I've been asking, how did we reopen? Put so many back to work? Have daily protests. Party on the beaches? Resume lunch and dinner with friends 3-4 feet away across the table. How did we do all this while watching deaths fall and ICU usage fall and ventilator usage fall?

Then you look at Sweden. Same thing happened there.

I also question when "flatten the curve" to save the hospitals changed to "Do what I say to save every life?"

10 people a day are dying from Coronavirus in Michigan right now, according to the seven-day averages.
That's not insignificant.
But how many people are dying from other things?
We don't close our businesses down because of those things.

This whole "wear a mask until a vaccine is developed" movement is not hitching a ride on my wagon, that's for sure.

It's nice that the NHLers are getting back to hockey.

But us regular people want to get back to it and take our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad