Not open for further replies.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So tomorrow?

It's f***ing inevitable the season is done

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Brutal. Schedule my annual day off of work to see the Wings in Glendale on 3/20. Have a ticket, flight and lodging paid for a trip to Calgary for The Battle. What a shitty turn of events.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
All sports needs to televised , so people stay home and watch anything they want. Have all evens without fans.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Even though I work in a major hospital, and talks about COVID-19 have been going for a few weeks, it's incredible how fast this is blooming. It's gone from "keep an eye on things" to "batten down the hatches" since Monday.

Went to Target for a few things today. Empty shelves for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Lysol, and many canned goods. Out of curiosity checked Walgreens, also sold out of hand sanitizer.

It sucks hockey is going to be disrupted. It sucks people are going to get very ill. Many will think this is all a big overreaction, but unless we overreact it's going to keep getting worse and worse.

I hope all these measures help us get a handle on this before the systems are too stressed.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
The dude on the Jazz tested positive, and the Jazz were just at LCA? Oh boy.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Even though I work in a major hospital, and talks about COVID-19 have been going for a few weeks, it's incredible how fast this is blooming. It's gone from "keep an eye on things" to "batten down the hatches" since Monday.

Went to Target for a few things today. Empty shelves for toilet paper, hand sanitizer, Lysol, and many canned goods. Out of curiosity checked Walgreens, also sold out of hand sanitizer.

It sucks hockey is going to be disrupted. It sucks people are going to get very ill. Many will think this is all a big overreaction, but unless we overreact it's going to keep getting worse and worse.

I hope all these measures help us get a handle on this before the systems are too stressed.

This is true. If nobody takes it seriously, things will get bad. Though with that said, there is a middle ground. The world can't stop either, that will lead to other issues.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is true. If nobody takes it seriously, things will get bad. Though with that said, there is a middle ground. The world can't stop either, that will lead to other issues.

True. I should clarify when I say overreact I mean cancel events, limit travel, and practice safe behaviors even when there's only a handful of confirmed cases in your city.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Not hockey related but am hearing Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive for the virus

He announced himself on social media according to Yahoo.

I was reading a translated article from the German newspaper Bild. German officials are expecting 60-70% of their population to get coronavirus. Upwards of 80% may never be aware or pass as if a regular flu strain.

Silver lining is most will be fine but it's sounding like those with the most averse affects will suffer immensely if they live.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
True. I should clarify when I say overreact I mean cancel events, limit travel, and practice safe behaviors even when there's only a handful of confirmed cases in your city.

Honestly, that's what I thought you meant, and that last part wasn't directed at you but rather a general comments referencing some of the crazy things that are out there right now.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I was reading a translated article from the German newspaper Bild. German officials are expecting 60-70% of their population to get coronavirus. Upwards of 80% may never be aware or pass as if a regular flu strain.

Silver lining is most will be fine but it's sounding like those with the most averse affects will suffer immensely if they live.

That number seems ridiculously high. In China they have had 81 thousand cases and they have a population of 1.3 billion. That is 0.008%. Now obviously this is not over, but how does Germany expect 60-70% of the population to get infected?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Interesting, did they give a timeframe(s)? How do they figure 60-70%?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2020-3-11_23-5-58.png

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I feel like there is a lot of overreaction going on. I mean I know there have been big flu and even plagues in our history. But so far all the Covid-19 looks like is basically a viral form of pneumonia. There is no information I can find that says anything different than flu but the difference is its viral so you have to beat it yourself with your own immune system.

With the way its spreading I get precautions but its basically like catching a cold, you are going to get randomly exposed to it no matter what. I don't see this going away and its going to take its toll and just like any other virus newer generations will develop immunities to it. It's just scary af in the mean time to wonder what it all means to each of us and our families individually.

From what I understand SARS was actually worse, but I don't remember SARS spreading as far and as fast unless the situations were similar and the media was just more distracted or controlled.

Edit: if you have extra cash this is a great time to buy stocks. Even if they go down the market has shed about 20% in value. That is all value that is going to come back pretty rapidly.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
MOD NOTE

Since this, unfortunately, looks like it is going to be a thing we have to deal with here I want to set some ground rules.

1. No Politics. I know this can, and likely will, get fuzzy at times but we need to do our best to police ourselves on this front. Please, report something that feels overly political rather than respond to it. We may not immediately act upon it, but it will be noticed.

2. Refrain from rumor/scare mongering. What will help in this regard is posting links to back up assertions. This also means we need to try to be aware of validity of our links and sources. We all give Eklund rumors a bit of an eye roll. Same thing here. If you read something that seems overly scary/weird/stupid/etc. look into it a bit more before posting it. If the only source is some schmuck on twitter or Bob's Wacky Website of Crazy Rants, well, it might just be crap.

3. Be patient with each other. This whole thing sucks, and all of us have skin in the game. I have older parents, younger kids, and a whole assortment of extended family and in-laws. Most of us do.

CDC website
March 10th WHO report
Canadian Gov. website

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I feel like there is a lot of overreaction going on. I mean I know there have been big flu and even plagues in our history. But so far all the Covid-19 looks like is basically a viral form of pneumonia. There is no information I can find that says anything different than flu but the difference is its viral so you have to beat it yourself with your own immune system.

With the way its spreading I get precautions but its basically like catching a cold, you are going to get randomly exposed to it no matter what. I don't see this going away and its going to take its toll and just like any other virus newer generations will develop immunities to it. It's just scary af in the mean time to wonder what it all means to each of us and our families individually.

From what I understand SARS was actually worse, but I don't remember SARS spreading as far and as fast unless the situations were similar and the media was just more distracted or controlled.

Edit: if you have extra cash this is a great time to buy stocks. Even if they go down the market has shed about 20% in value. That is all value that is going to come back pretty rapidly.
It was said earlier by someone else, but over reaction is necessary in order to get this under control. The issue isn't mainly how deadly this virus is, but how easily it spreads. This is the trade off that a lot of virus' have- how potent vs how contagious. This coronavirus is in that sweet spot of being deadly enough to be scary but mostly only to people in a smallish demographic, but very contagious. So, SARS was worse in that it was more deadly in the percentage of people it killed that got sick, but this will kill more people overall.

I'm regurgitating what I was told by a medical professional that understands this stuff much better than me, so it is possible that I'm misunderstanding some points he was making in our conversation.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Cap may go down due to Covid-19...per Serevalli. (this is where the Wings could benefit by getting players from teams up against the Cap, sadly from a potential plague/disaster unfortunately)

full article & video:
A look at how the coronavirus could impact the NHL’s bottom line - TSN.ca

excerpt:
"But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap.
The coronavirus’ impact on the economy at large, including a sharp downturn in the Canadian dollar this week, could also have a negative impact on next season’s revenue because approximately one-third of the league’s revenue is in Canadian currency.
“There is a lot of uncertainty right now and I think the concern is the unknown,” Gavin said. “There is still a lot to play out.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad