Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Just want to pump the Anaheim Ducks organization/Samueli's tires a bit. It seems without persuasion or hesitation they decided to pay their most vulnerable employees during this "pause". I know Henry is well off apart from revenue from the team but the Anaheim Ducks aren't exactly a money printing machine like many other organizations so I just commend them for their actions during these unprecedented times. Bravo!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That sucks but the ECHL has very little to gain by continuing at any point before the start of next season.

Reactions: McDonald19

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
People are losing their damn minds over something that isn't that serious. The news cycle is feeding on everyone's panic. Bulk buying toilet paper? Idiocracy made a sequel based on a pandemic. It's frightening how dumb social media is making everyone.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
People are losing their damn minds over something that isn't that serious. The news cycle is feeding on everyone's panic. Bulk buying toilet paper? Idiocracy made a sequel based on a pandemic. It's frightening how dumb social media is making everyone.

Check back in three weeks.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
It's not that I'm not taking it seriously, but what are all these lemmings doing buying up all the toilet paper? Is having 12 packages of TP the key to warding off the virus? It's a serious case of monkey see, monkey do.

At least the hand sanitizer I can kind of understand...

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Even if COVID-19 would be nothing worse than seasonal influenza, the problem is that people don't have any kind of immunity from earlier infections or vaccines. Health care does not have the capacity to treat those who need hospital care as infections keep piling up and instead need to prioritize between patients. While at the same time the health care workers get infected themselves to make matters worse. That makes it serious.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
It's something along the lines of ten times more deadly than the normal flu, and three times as contagious. Yes, I am just as grotesquely amused at watching fights break out over ****ing toilet paper as anyone else, but let's not pretend like this isn't a dangerous illness we're facing. While I'm reticent to accept doomsday predictions of a hundred million coronavirus cases after this is all over, the U.S. is still trending to be Italy in a week. and more densely-populated regions such as, say, the Inland Empire urban sprawl, are particularly vulnerable to community spread. Not good. And, as Tiny Biggs noted, this disease is entirely new to us. We have no herd immunity because we don't have any immunity at all. If the healthcare system starts to become overwhelmed, things are going to get really bad really quickly.

I'm obviously bummed that the NHL postponed the season rather than even just playing empty arenas, but at the same time I don't fault them for it. Don't let the rampant politicking which is a disturbing facet of the American response to any crisis distract you from the need to be smart about this: social distancing, personal hygiene, the whole 9 yards. This isn't just the flu.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Not to mention global deaths are trending up at a decent rate (roughly 300 a day more now then a week ago). And given several first-world countries are dragging their feet massively in terms of any sort of response, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better I'm afraid.

I'd love for this to be a 'not serious' situation, but at this point you'd have to have your head in the sand to think this situation isn't serious to be honest, countries don't effectively shutdown just because of a bit of hysteria or panic, given the disasterious economic consequences (among other things) that comes with that.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
CoVid-19 certainly has Germany by the balls big-time right now. I work as a High School teacher (for better understandability of the German education system just let's call it that; our secondary schooling is grade 4-9 or 4-12/13 and divided by quality) and the government has yet to really give us a clear-cut instruction on how to cope with the situation. Schools are supposed to be shut down from Wednesday on in my state, however, we have absolutely NO instructions on how it's going to go down other than we should "e-mail tasks to the students". Monday/Tuesday is supposed to be schooling on a "no necessity"-basis, so there will be pretty much no students at all. However, we have been instructed to come to school after the shutdown for monitoring students who "can't be left alone at home" after that. All the while sanitation companies already stopped working at schools last week, so we literally have to be present at schools that have not been cleaned for weeks with children who were supposed to be quarantined at home. This just screams for disaster to happen.

Meanwhile, hospitals and regular doctor's offices already have way too few workers to maintain a proper business and it's been told by a friend of mine from governmental agencies, that stores, bars, pubs, restaurants, cafés et al are going to be shut down mandatorily this week as well.

And to those of you talking about this being "not a serious threat": just imagine what happens once all the addicts are being cut off from their specific supplies. No matter if we're talking alcoholics, meth heads or tobacco and coffee junkies: shit's going to boil over pretty quickly and it might very well lead to anarchy and civil war-like situations in some regions.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah, I don't think that China and Italy are conspiring to fool Americans and our media into believing that there's a pandemic. The CDC have always stated that another global pandemic was never a matter of if, but a matter of when. We should count our lucky stars that this doesn't have the same lethality of Spanish Influenza. Which is a good thing seeing as all manners of idiots are blowing off the warnings and having mass meet ups at concerts or St. Patty's day celebrations, this weekend.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Not to mention global deaths are trending up at a decent rate (roughly 300 a day more now then a week ago).

I think many countries don't have the capacity to keep on testing people for infections anymore, making death rate seemingly increase. Finland for example decided already to test risk groups only to save resources. In Iran the death rate numbers have always been high probably because of limited testing.

I would imagine (hope) that the real mortality rate is closer to that of South Korea where testing has apparently been very thorough (less than 1%).

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Yeah, I don't think that China and Italy are conspiring to fool Americans and our media into believing that there's a pandemic. The CDC have always stated that another global pandemic was never a matter of if, but a matter of when. We should count our lucky stars that this doesn't have the same lethality of Spanish Influenza. Which is a good thing seeing as all manners of idiots are blowing off the warnings and having mass meet ups at concerts or St. Patty's day celebrations, this weekend.
I kind of like this aspect of it. Let the bleach drinkers, anti-vaxxers and Covid hoaxers all meet their fates.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
again, ignorant takes like this are harmful and do nothing to help anyone or anything. I'm a healthy mid 20's male, even if I get it there's a very very slim chance I'll be harmed by it, but that doesn't mean I can't harm others by having it. The death rate is only 2% or something, but that's still 2%. With the way this thing spreads and the way people don't care to take precautions to keep it from spreading, and from attitudes like yours it'll keep spreading. The US alone only has less than 2000 confirmed cases, but with the lack of testing being done that number is much higher than we know. Just because this isn't a spanish influenza level of mortality doesn't mean it's not something people should be taking somewhat seriously. Don't be a dumbass about it, pretty easy.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town

Hoarding in general is stupid.

There's some truth to not being panicked - panic isn't conducive to anything. What people need to be is calm and rational, and actually do what HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS want you to do.

Wash your hands. Don't go to huge gatherings, and try to avoid going out if you don't absolutely need to, like for work or for groceries. Avoid common surfaces. Stop touching your face. If you feel sick, call in first to confirm, isolate yourself.

Is it infectious? Hell yes it is. Is it going to cull half the planet? Probably not. But what it will do is harm older people with existing conditions or weaker immune systems. You might feel fine, but you can still transmit to someone who could actually die from it, and that's the point.

Unless you actually want to be responsible for killing someone. In which case, that sort of says something about you.

Reactions: duckpuck and dracom

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think a distinction needs to be made between the seriousness of the pandemic, and the panic/idiocy of some people and the media. Not feeling the need to hoard TP or water doesn't equate to not taking it seriously. Ignoring those who are trying to use it for political gain is wise, not burying your head in the sand. If everyone is thoughtful and tries to balance their own needs with the needs of others, then things will work out as well as can be expected.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
You can look at it just in terms of numbers if it helps.

Let’s say it has a 1% chance of killing you. I’m just picking that number randomly, and it’s pretty clear the number varies on your own risk factors, but let’s go with 1%. That means out of 1000 people, 10 could die. Okay, that’s not awful, but it’s still 10 people.

But every time you add a zero to the number of infected, you add a zero to the number of deaths. The New York City has, what? 8 million people in a pretty confined place? That’s 80,000 possible deaths. California has almost 40 million people, I believe? 400,000.

With exponential growth, a number can start small and get very big very quickly, and a small percentage of a very large number is still a very large number.

And keep in mind that we’re just looking at possible deaths directly from the Coronavirus if measures aren’t taken. You want to know the really scary thing? What happens if the hospitals suddenly get overwhelmed. Hospitals are not equipped to handle the kind of numbers we could be talking about. There are not enough respirators. There aren’t enough beds. There aren’t enough nurses or supplies. The number of possible deaths would increase and, again, that’s just from the Coronavirus. What about people who need to go to the hospital for other reasons? An overwhelmed hospital is far less capable of taking care of you.

I think people are mistaking what things look like now and dismissing it as a non-issue, but the real concern is how it could look in two weeks, or a month. That’s the real danger. If we don’t get a handle on it now, it has the potential to be pretty catastrophic. That’s why it’s important that we get on this now. We still aren’t sure how many cases there are, because there isn’t enough testing yet, and the combination of a long incubation period and minor symptoms for a lot of people means they may be walking around thinking they are fine while infecting people.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think a distinction needs to be made between the seriousness of the pandemic, and the panic/idiocy of some people and the media. Not feeling the need to hoard TP or water doesn't equate to not taking it seriously. Ignoring those who are trying to use it for political gain is wise, not burying your head in the sand. If everyone is thoughtful and tries to balance their own needs with the needs of others, then things will work out as well as can be expected.

Yeah, that’s fair.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Are you implying it will be better or worse? I'd bet that most people already have it or had it and already recovered.

We actually know that isn’t the case, based on the number of negative test results. The time frame doesn’t work out.

There is also the concern of repeated infections, and there are already warnings that having had it doesn’t mean you’re immune.

So, I’m afraid you’d be completely mistaken on this.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I doubt it. We'll see I guess.
I'd like to know your thoughts and reasoning as go why it's not serious and what classifies in your mind as serious.

Basically every scientist and doctor that you speak to right now has said that this is a very serious issue and that the US and a lot of western countries are handling this matter horribly because they don't take it serious. At the rate that it's going the US will turn into another Italy and the UK.

even at 1% mortality think about how many deaths that is nationally and globally.

Especially in the US there # of cases are extremely lower than what is likely the real number since either the US is still barely testing due to a whole bunch of bureaucratic red tape.

I agree that certain people are overreacting due to social media such as the ridiculous hoarders but I also believe that you're likely on the opposite end of the extreme just dismissing it nonchalantly and that had it's own dangers/issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad