Coronavirus/NHL Suspension Talk

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I’d guess points percentage would be applied. It’s all uncharted territory and no matter what they do, some group of people will be pissed.

That seems like it would make the most sense to me too. I just don't really see another fair approach, if you consider that the season was 70 games deep. It's not a 2005 lottery situation. Extrapolate a couple of games, based on a 70ish game sample size.

Maybe even consider a second lottery that would allow teams currently in the playoffs to jump up a few places, but keep it separate from the top 3 lottery. There is no reason at all current playoff standing teams should have an opportunity to compete for the top 3 picks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Garbage reaction to a normal flu

If it were the normal flu, then it wouldn't be called the Wuhan Virus, the Coronavirus, or COVID-19. What makes COVID-19 more dangerous is we don't have a medicinal solution to mitigate it's effects. The flu shot can repel flu virus that are known. COVID-19 is an unknown virus that has no remedy at this moment due to its recent creation as well as it's censorship of existence by China. There are reports that some of its citizens were showing symptoms in September 2019. China downplayed the virus and didn't share its existence to the world early enough so to protect itself fiscally worldwide. In hiding that fact from the rest of the world, China infected the rest of the world as the world could not create travel restrictions as well as done testing on those abroad coming to their respective shores for quarantining. China was and is hiding the creation of COVID-19. The lasting affect of COVID-19 is yet unknown. I have heard a report that it can affect your lungs for the rest of your life, thus making you more susceptible to a common flu that can endanger your life.

It's possible in the future that COVID-19 will be part of the flu shot samples as it's now introduced into the world. But since we don't have a medicinal remedy for COVID-19 today, we're at its mercy. Although the death have been those elderly in the 60 years range or above, a Wuhan doctor of age 35 who identified the virus initially and treated patients died. Why? Too many people infected, not enough medicine to reduce the fevers and problems, and not enough hospital rooms to isolate patients.

There are many diseases and virus that can now be cured due to research and technology. The flu was and is still dangerous, but those affected by it in the USA has been mitigated vastly. In a third world country, not so lucky. It's quite facetious a statement coming from someone in a first world country and is probably not in the danger target of age 60 or above.

I am not worried about losing the rest of this season. I am more worried about losing next season as well. Historically pandemics last 1 - 2 years, and I see nothing that would indicate that this is any different.

The goal right now is to try to spread the illness over a longer period of time with fewer cases at any one time rather than letting cases spike initially. Hospitals can only treat so many people, and they are more likely to be able to treat more ill people if the cases are spread over a longer period. This is probably a useful strategy to minimize deaths, but it does mean that there will be new cases throughout at least a one year period.

Hopefully, within a year or sooner, we will have a proper remedy to COVID-19. Although the supposed incubation period is 14 days, there have been reports that it's longer in some people. Probably need 3 to 4 weeks to make sure. China has been reporting the infection rates have slowed down due to its quick authoritarian quarantining of its citizens. I don't know if I can believe China, but it's a glimmer of hope that in a month things will stabilize and the medical field will have some test kits and meds. I know South Korea had four companies burn the midnight oil to create test kits that need only hours to confirm the results. We're on good terms with South Korea, but, unfortunately, most of our medical productions have been shipped over to China.

Due to this COVID-19, the USA will want companies to produce, at least, medical stuff here on US soil because this incident just exposed how we lack resources to create medical items, drugs, or test kits in a hurry.

We'll know in about two weeks how the world recovers as all eyes are on Asian countries of China, South Korea, and Japan. Japan shut down schools for a month about a week or two ago. The medical world is racing against time. (It feels like a slow moving novel at a macro level a la the movie/novel "The Hunt for Red October". North America is probably one of the last continents to get hit. The soft quarantine is being over-prepared. We could have been better prepared if China confessed sooner about the COVID-19, or the Wuhan Virus.

Meanwhile, some helpful tips:
  • Bring disposable gloves with you whenever you get gas.
  • When FedEx, UPS, US Postal, etc... show up to your do to sign anything, make sure you have your hand sanitizer adjacent after you sign... or wear a disposable glove.
  • Bring cleaning wipes with you if you go shopping.
  • Be cheerful. It helps to reduce stress and keeps your immune system up. = )

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That seems like it would make the most sense to me too. I just don't really see another fair approach, if you consider that the season was 70 games deep. It's not a 2005 lottery situation. Extrapolate a couple of games, based on a 70ish game sample size.

Maybe even consider a second lottery that would allow teams currently in the playoffs to jump up a few places, but keep it separate from the top 3 lottery. There is no reason at all current playoff standing teams should have an opportunity to compete for the top 3 picks.
Not playing all 82 games is obviously an issue. But at the end of the day, we know who the good teams were this year, we know who the crappy teams were this year, and we know who the middle class were. Points percentage smooths the differences in games played.

In a regular season the draft is based on points for the first 27 spots (with the exception of a low seed making the conference finals). If no playoffs happen then draft 1-31 on point percentage with the draft lotto happening like always. The fact that a couple of teams might move a spot or two around the 15th pick or 27th pick is pretty inconsequential in the big scheme of things. Not that it won't keep some from squealing like a stuck pig on the MB, but hey, shit happens.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I guess I’ll spend my time watching old Anaheim Highlights. I wish they had more full games from that 03 team..

Yeah, I’ll have to find my 07 dvd to get a hockey fix soon.
FB1E83B5-3996-4546-ABCF-13B6D8FA5087.jpeg

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Also Fox Sports/Prime Ticket will have no new content to show for a while, so they will probably have some classic Ducks games on there like they did during the lockout.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I got back to NY safe and sound. My flight from Long Beach to JFK was like 60% full. NYC is in turmoil right now, and I’ve never seen it so empty for a Friday night.

Regarding Anaheim, The Ducks organization continues to impress me, from not just saving a man’s life earlier in the year, but to pay their employees during this crisis. What class, and even if other teams follow, Ducks were one of the 1st teams to do this.

If the season is to end, glad I was able to get in a few Ducks games, and all were entertaining. Stay safe out there in Cali.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I got back to NY safe and sound. My flight from Long Beach to JFK was like 60% full. NYC is in turmoil right now, and I’ve never seen it so empty for a Friday night.

Regarding Anaheim, The Ducks organization continues to impress me, from not just saving a mans life earlier in the year, but to pay their employees during this crisis. What class, and even if other teams follow, Ducks were one of the 1st teams to do this.

If the season is to end, glad I was able to get in a few Ducks games, and all were entertaining. Stay safe out there in Cali.
Glad you're good.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is this the thread where I can bitch how f***ing garbage people are for panic buying in bulk?

Yes. People are either ignorant thinking it's Armageddon or trying to be inhuman to turn buck in a crisis.

At my Costco, they started limiting water, tp, and paper towels a day before CA called for the state of emergency. That was cool of them to do it as it prevented bulk buying and left more for other consumers. I did my shopping two weeks before Cali called for a state of emergency. I didn't buy in bulk, but strategically per day I went while everything was still calm in the USA. Nowadays when I go into Costco, I just bring my earbuds knowing full well it'll be packed, but I go there for food as opposed for water, tp, or paper towels. A lot of people complaining, but I think it's the new norm and they didn't prepare ahead of time. It doesn't bother me that it's busy b/c it was predictable. I tried telling my fam and friends to do it earlier, but most laughed at the time.

Anyhow, stores should limit how much you purchase to reduce the stress on the community at whole. If my Costco can do it, then other businesses can as well.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
If it were the normal flu, then it wouldn't be called the Wuhan Virus, the Coronavirus, or COVID-19. What makes COVID-19 more dangerous is we don't have a medicinal solution to mitigate it's effects. The flu shot can repel flu virus that are known. COVID-19 is an unknown virus that has no remedy at this moment due to its recent creation as well as it's censorship of existence by China. There are reports that some of its citizens were showing symptoms in September 2019. China downplayed the virus and didn't share its existence to the world early enough so to protect itself fiscally worldwide. In hiding that fact from the rest of the world, China infected the rest of the world as the world could not create travel restrictions as well as done testing on those abroad coming to their respective shores for quarantining. China was and is hiding the creation of COVID-19. The lasting affect of COVID-19 is yet unknown. I have heard a report that it can affect your lungs for the rest of your life, thus making you more susceptible to a common flu that can endanger your life.

It's possible in the future that COVID-19 will be part of the flu shot samples as it's now introduced into the world. But since we don't have a medicinal remedy for COVID-19 today, we're at its mercy. Although the death have been those elderly in the 60 years range or above, a Wuhan doctor of age 35 who identified the virus initially and treated patients died. Why? Too many people infected, not enough medicine to reduce the fevers and problems, and not enough hospital rooms to isolate patients.

Some of what you've said is correct. Some is not, with a healthy dose of opinion thrown in. There are in fact many remedies and treatments for Wuhan Virus. Of the people contracting the virus, about 96-99+% (depending on what numbers you believe) survive. The latest information seems to suggest that around 15% of people getting the virus have "severe" cases requiring hospitalization and, of those, 5% ending up in critical care - those are the numbers from China and US numbers are expected to be lower. And for those with severe cases, there are in fact many "remedies" (also known as medications and treatments) they receive which are successful in preventing death and helping in recovery. Even the vast majority of "severe" patients requiring hospitalization survive.

Will coronavirus kill you? Why fatality rates for COVID-19 vary wildly depending on age, gender, medical history and country

You then correctly state that the long term effects of the virus are unknown but . . . then say you "heard" it might be bad. Ok - I guess that "might" be true.

At this point, its accurate to say coronavirus is more deadly than the flu, particularly for the elderly and those with other maladies. But it is not nearly as deadly as SARS or MERS (but probably more contagious).

Are coronavirus diseases equally deadly? Comparing the latest coronavirus to MERS and SARS.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I feel like we'd be lucky if NA/Europe would be where China is now with the epidemic by August. This will go on for months and China took drastic measures to try to contain it. Just my pessimistic (is it though?) gut feeling, nothing more.

Also, I don't think there will be a vaccine anytime soon either. They take years to develop. Also at least in here people still remember the rushed H1N1 vaccine that gave narcolepsy to many children as a side effect.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I feel like we'd be lucky if NA/Europe would be where China is now with the epidemic by August. This will go on for months and China took drastic measures to try to contain it. Just my pessimistic (is it though?) gut feeling, nothing more.

Also, I don't think there will be a vaccine anytime soon either. They take years to develop. Also at least in here people still remember the rushed H1N1 vaccine that gave narcolepsy to many children as a side effect.
Vaccine is certainly years away. I am holding hope for some developments regarding the virus in the ways we could detect or contain it. Keep in mind some of the drastic measures is basically because the desease is so unknown. Not that it looks positively going forward but I have my hope.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It will be interesting to see if shutting down sports makes an impact on people. Not so much in taking steps not to get sick themselves, but taking steps to keep others from getting sick.

We live in a world that throws out percentages and a token feel bad for those dying statements, but deep down it translates to pretty much a collateral damage statement.

So now hockey is gone, along with a whole lot more. And it ain’t coming back till the weakest link gets through this. It really comes down to a mindset that if I want to do what I used to, I better figure out a way not to be part of the problem. Until we all get through this no one gets through it.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad