Coronavirus effects

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the season does end up getting cancelled entirely, it will be interesting to see how it affects player development in general. Playoffs are usually a very big part of development. On teams like London, deep playoff runs are an integral part of their development model. Young guys are exposed to what happens. Middle age players start to play a role and the veterans lead the way.

One missed year in that cycle could have a negative impact in that regard.

There is a reason why a lot of top teams stay on top even when they aren't quite as good on paper.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I hope the CHL does the right thing here as well as all other sports leagues. no ones going to be on the ice for probably upwards of 2 months. you can’t just start up in the playoffs.

this is going to have a huge impact on sports for some time to come. not seeing anyone in the playoffs (or OHL Cup for the OHL draft) is going to make for some really interesting drafts. I think there will be a lot of guys drafted later on or go undrafted that will make the jump. guys that could’ve potentially had a huge postseason that we will never have found out about.

obviously this is not important at the moment but I’m just trying to bring some light into this and open up conversation

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If we look at some positives, it looks like the Corona Virus has cured Gluten Allegies. All the bread has straight up disappeared!

Keeping an eye out now on Peanut allegies....and Veganism.....
You really don't take any condition people may have seriously, do you.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Buckle up folks...here is the most detailed, scientific assessment to date, and the projections are alarming to put it mildly:

Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I hope the CHL does the right thing here as well as all other sports leagues. no ones going to be on the ice for probably upwards of 2 months. you can’t just start up in the playoffs.

this is going to have a huge impact on sports for some time to come. not seeing anyone in the playoffs (or OHL Cup for the OHL draft) is going to make for some really interesting drafts. I think there will be a lot of guys drafted later on or go undrafted that will make the jump. guys that could’ve potentially had a huge postseason that we will never have found out about.

obviously this is not important at the moment but I’m just trying to bring some light into this and open up conversation

On yesterday’s “Writers Bloc” on the fan590, Steven Brunt and Jeff Blair said there was a report out there that Major League Baseball is not expecting to be able to start their season until July. That being the case, there will be no more hockey this season.

This season is done and will be left unresolved much like the 1994 MLB season.

It is unfortunate but it is what it is. Time to prep for the on line entry and import drafts. That will be the next couple of OHL events we’ll see take place.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the NHL entry draft is conducted on line as well this year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Take a look at those Queen's University students nothing is going to stop them from a huge party tomorrow. This isn't getting better unfortunately.

Just done a drive-by past Ezra Avenue in Waterloo. Massive police and security presence. No partying whatsoever going on right now. Hats off to the authorities and the students alike for treating the situation seriously.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Honestly the numbers are what they are. Not enough tests are being done so it is what it is. Just because some people don't focus on that doesn't mean they don't take it seriously. All of the global leaders fluffed it off and failed to impose proper measures to avoid the spread and now we are where we are. It's a sit and wait game now.

The real killer is the economic impact of shutting everything down for who knows how long.

A lot will depend on how people in large cities like Toronto act. Smaller places should be able to do well with containment. Time will tell.

I agree, it was fluffled off too long. Which drove the public to keep spreading false propaganda of “it’s just a flu.”

You’re also right that things should have been done ages ago. At minimum 2 weeks ago. It’s not too late to lower the numbers though, But measures are going to have to be increased.

If the borders closed in or out, to everyone a month ago, allowing citizens to come back and stay at a dedicated quarantine area for returning Canadian citizens only for 2 weeks for assessment and cleansing. Extra measures taken for operators of supply chains to import/export to keep shelves stocked, and a nationwide advisory of cleanliness and spreading viruses, there’s a chance we could have sports right now, could still shut it down for safety purposes, but I’d bet they could be launched back up a lot quicker.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Continuing these measures or even more extreme measures for many months or until we have a vaccine will be bad. Look at how bare grocery stores are now and the amount of job loss and and businesses that wont survive. People who wont die to the virus are going to die to poverty related problems. What about the seasonal workers who are running out of EI because their job is summer seasonal. The government isn't going to have enough cash to keep things afloat during 12-18 months lockdown waiting on a vaccine.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree, it was fluffled off too long. Which drove the public to keep spreading false propaganda of “it’s just a flu.”

You’re also right that things should have been done ages ago. At minimum 2 weeks ago. It’s not too late to lower the numbers though, But measures are going to have to be increased.

If the borders closed in or out, to everyone a month ago, allowing citizens to come back and stay at a dedicated quarantine area for returning Canadian citizens only for 2 weeks for assessment and cleansing. Extra measures taken for operators of supply chains to import/export to keep shelves stocked, and a nationwide advisory of cleanliness and spreading viruses, there’s a chance we could have sports right now, could still shut it down for safety purposes, but I’d bet they could be launched back up a lot quicker.

For all that to work, you’d have to do all of that at a GLOBAL Effort Level.

Canada could have, for example, closed its borders “months ago.” Great. But we’d have to “wait out” the entire course of the virus throughout the rest of the World. That would require a virtual complete shutdown of the economy.

That shut down would cause a tremendous amount of additional strife that would also lead to countless loss of life.

The REALITY is very simple. These measures are not infinitely sustainable of we want to recover in more ways than simply not getting sick from this virus.

The measures being made now are not to “save lives” so much as to save resources and allow the capacity of the health care system to handle the additional illnesses related to this virus.

Make no mistake, this is not a Global Killer in any way. Not even close. It is lethal for only a very small fraction of vulnerable people. That is not to say those people are not important. It is to say that at some point the political machine will have to start rationalizing the loss of life vs bankruptcies, loss of income, spiralling economic issues, etc etc etc.

So, for those that suggest social distancing and quarantines will go on for months, I think that is very obtuse in overall analysis. Sure, in a vacuum with no other considerations, everyone staying home for two or three months would “help” but in fact it will not. It will cause immeasurable collateral damage that would far outweigh the damage to direct loss of life of the virus.

Even much of the measures put in place have not really been thoroughly thought through. Restaurants and bars are closed but Shopping Malls are open. You can still buy shoes and socks. People can’t go without new shoes for four weeks? IT is so ridiculous.

Domestic flights are still operating. Airports are open.

Really, mostly it is only the most obvious restrictions that are taking place.

Don’t get me wrong. It is not like I want people to die. However, I also don’t want people to have to work an entire 12 to 24 months trying to catch up financially either. I don’t want people losing their small businesses. I don’t want to Government to have to roll out a 20 Billion Dollar relief package either.

China was shut down for about 6 weeks or so and their numbers have started to reverse and they are beginning to start ramping back up. Over that time period something like 6000 deaths? That really is an insignificant total in the grand scheme of things.

As mentioned, I work in a hospital. I understand the situation. We don’t want to get overrun by Covid cases. The resources are critically low. However, I really do not think these measures would be happening if:
1> The media didn’t hype it so intensely
2> The existing capacity and resources were able to handle the potential cases

The purpose of these measures is to more competently handle the cases and not put undue strain on the health care system. Anyone that truly says this is primarily about “saving lives” is naive. That is a secondary concern. People die of preventable deaths every day in very large numbers across the Globe.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Given that this pandemic has shown to be most impactful on the senior population, I'm sure that some analyst behind the scenes is working on an actuarial study as to how this should determine government policy. The Baby Boomer Generation ( into which many seniors fit ) is problematic for governments. They represent a largely underfunded social obligation in the forms of Social Security, Old Age Pensions, Canada Pension Plan, and Old Age Supplements.

If that social obligation could be eliminated quicker than through ordinary attrition, millions could be saved. Scary thought, isn't it ?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
In the coronavirus pandemic, we're making decisions without reliable data

I found this a good read when it comes to everyone in a panic about the stats. Being able to do more tests to find more reliable numbers when it comes to mortality rates ect but really unless someone is in the high risk category and possibly needs to be hospitalized getting tested just clogs things up because there no magic medication they're going to be handed if they're positive, they're just going to be told what everyone knows - self isolate and stay away from vulnerable people.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In the coronavirus pandemic, we're making decisions without reliable data

I found this a good read when it comes to everyone in a panic about the stats. Being able to do more tests to find more reliable numbers when it comes to mortality rates ect but really unless someone is in the high risk category and possibly needs to be hospitalized getting tested just clogs things up because there no magic medication they're going to be handed if they're positive, they're just going to be told what everyone knows - self isolate and stay away from vulnerable people.

Thanks for this.

This article summarizes a lot of the things I’ve been trying to touch upon. I tried to do that just above but this article does so much better of a job at conveying the unintended consequences of taking this too far.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for this.

This article summarizes a lot of the things I’ve been trying to touch upon. I tried to do that just above but this article does so much better of a job at conveying the unintended consequences of taking this too far.
The real scary thing is there seems to be very few people that are thinking this way. Everyone is hung up on inaccurate statistics. Someone needs to do some numbers on the impact of a prolonged shut down like we're currently in. All I know is that it's going to be absolutely devastating and the consequences are going to be far worse than the loss of life to the virus.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00