Coronavirus effects

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Even though I did "like" your post, it was more in cringing agreement!
I can't believe that my last OHL game in person I had to spend sitting beside a Knights fan! .....Maybe we strengthened each other immune system! ha
Ha! Lol! Fingers crossed you'll be sitting beside me again for a game. It would be nice if it was sooner than later. I'm currently in good health and in fact I'm at your cottage in self-isolation! :)

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ha! Lol! Fingers crossed you'll be sitting beside me again for a game. It would be nice if it was sooner than later. I'm currently in good health and in fact I'm at your cottage in self-isolation! :)
Just restock the fridge buddy!
The funny thing about our cottage lane in order is we have a Barrie Fan, London fan, Guelph fan, Saginaw then us!

Doing well here, reading books, some TV and plenty of walks. Just no longer doing our "Gordie Howe Handshakes"!

Reactions: nelli27

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Everything is speculation right now. In most cases, the media is fuelling a narrative they want to push so I’d be very hesitant to even read stories because they are mostly chopping quotes to suit their narrative.

There is a need to slow this down in an effort to ease the pressure on the Health Care system. I think, overall, we’ve done a pretty darn good job. The normal doubling rate for this is four days. The current rate has held steady at about 50 new cases per day in Ontario and that is also during a period where there is a lot more testing taking place. Based on the new assessment centres performing loads of tests, you’d expect to see a spike in positive tests but we are not seeing that.

If Ontario holds at an additional 50 or so positive tests per day over the course of the next week, that would be a very positive result. It would prove that the shit downs are having a positive effect.

The next stage would be seeing that number go from 50 down to 30 and then continue to lower. This is the stage no one is able to predict a timeline on. It could very well begin to happen next week! It could take a month. It could take two months.

The overall challenge is understanding the fear of getting the virus will soon move to fear of economic meltdown. When people start to not make mortgage payments, rent payments, car payments etc and start to increase their credit card debt while not having income come in, the pressure not he government to lift forced closure bans will become more heavy than the pressure to force the closures that we are seeing now.

People are looking now at self preservation for health. Soon they will start focusing on self preservation from a social economic standpoint. If you think what is happening now is hard, wait another 4-6 weeks if businesses remain closed and are forced to start laying off workers by the hundreds of thousands.

Make no mistake, at some point there may be a situation where people living in harmony united by their desire to stay “not sick” will be pushed aside by their fears of not being able to provide for their families. People will start doing scary shit if and when that begins.

About 90% of the population would just get sick and recover. 5% would be hospitalized and recover. 5% would die. I’m not sure the socio-economic struggles will cause as many deaths but I am reasonably sure a very large portion of people will suffer the affects of these social distancing measures if this goes on longer than the end of April. IF people are not generally back to work by the first week of May, shit is going down. I am not scared of this Virus anywhere near how scared I will be if our society breaks down as a result of economic collapse.

Social distancing for 6 months? GLWT.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Everything is speculation right now. In most cases, the media is fuelling a narrative they want to push so I’d be very hesitant to even read stories because they are mostly chopping quotes to suit their narrative.

There is a need to slow this down in an effort to ease the pressure on the Health Care system. I think, overall, we’ve done a pretty darn good job. The normal doubling rate for this is four days. The current rate has held steady at about 50 new cases per day in Ontario and that is also during a period where there is a lot more testing taking place. Based on the new assessment centres performing loads of tests, you’d expect to see a spike in positive tests but we are not seeing that.

If Ontario holds at an additional 50 or so positive tests per day over the course of the next week, that would be a very positive result. It would prove that the shit downs are having a positive effect.

The next stage would be seeing that number go from 50 down to 30 and then continue to lower. This is the stage no one is able to predict a timeline on. It could very well begin to happen next week! It could take a month. It could take two months.

The overall challenge is understanding the fear of getting the virus will soon move to fear of economic meltdown. When people start to not make mortgage payments, rent payments, car payments etc and start to increase their credit card debt while not having income come in, the pressure not he government to lift forced closure bans will become more heavy than the pressure to force the closures that we are seeing now.

People are looking now at self preservation for health. Soon they will start focusing on self preservation from a social economic standpoint. If you think what is happening now is hard, wait another 4-6 weeks if businesses remain closed and are forced to start laying off workers by the hundreds of thousands.

Make no mistake, at some point there may be a situation where people living in harmony united by their desire to stay “not sick” will be pushed aside by their fears of not being able to provide for their families. People will start doing scary shit if and when that begins.

About 90% of the population would just get sick and recover. 5% would be hospitalized and recover. 5% would die. I’m not sure the socio-economic struggles will cause as many deaths but I am reasonably sure a very large portion of people will suffer the affects of these social distancing measures if this goes on longer than the end of April. IF people are not generally back to work by the first week of May, shit is going down. I am not scared of this Virus anywhere near how scared I will be if our society breaks down as a result of economic collapse.

This is a very good article about what we may have to look forward to upcoming times.

When does social distancing end? These graphs show where we’re heading and why

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is a very good article about what we may have to look forward to upcoming times.

When does social distancing end? These graphs show where we’re heading and why

I’d like to see a reputable socio-economic study of the impact this will create on the economy. We could see unemployment rates as a result of permanent business closures and layoffs well into the 30’s% by mid-June.

Ain’t gonna be no budgets balancing themselves over the next few decades either. The added public debt this will cause makes me shudder to think how many countries end up in Greece mode over the next couple years.

Reactions: Tarantula

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I think the biggest thing to hope for is one of these drugs in the clinical trials to be highly effective against this or that a vaccine come soon although the vaccine is likely a year or more away.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the biggest thing to hope for is one of these drugs in the clinical trials to be highly effective against this or that a vaccine come soon although the vaccine is likely a year or more away.

Yes. The question is while Germany and the United States are vaccinating, will Health Canada still be requiring an additional three years of testing......

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Yes. The question is while Germany and the United States are vaccinating, will Health Canada still be requiring an additional three years of testing......
I think our measures are going to work better than USA as long as people aren’t stupid. I feel for the people in USA.. Trump is cutting all the red tape but is it tape that should really be cut? He’s not the person to steer a very large country through something like this. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that our wonderful group dedicated to this finds a reliable treatment to help us get back to normal sooner than later.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

Increased testing this week, but those results won't come back for another week. We won't know the impact of these changes for a few weeks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think our measures are going to work better than USA as long as people aren’t stupid. I feel for the people in USA.. Trump is cutting all the red tape but is it tape that should really be cut? He’s not the person to steer a very large country through something like this. Let’s all keep our fingers crossed that our wonderful group dedicated to this finds a reliable treatment to help us get back to normal sooner than later.

Actually, the ironic part is JT has far more power to make unilateral decisions than the President of the US.

Example. Trump couldn't stop the impeachment proceedings but JT could stop the JWR proceedings.

Trump requires a lot more support through their structure of Gov't than JT does in Canada.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Actually, this situation presents a very significant opportunity for Canadian researchers and epidimiologists. If Health Canada were to apply a full court press with the objective of developing a universal vaccine, and those people managed some significant progress toward
that end, I suspect there would be a possible Nobel Prize in Medicine, and the gratitude of the world community. Canada does have world-class
researchers, and have stepped up before. Why not think BIG ?

This would be a team REALLY worth cheering for !

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Actually, this situation presents a very significant opportunity for Canadian researchers and epidimiologists. If Health Canada were to apply a full court press with the objective of developing a universal vaccine, and those people managed some significant progress toward
that end, I suspect there would be a possible Nobel Prize in Medicine, and the gratitude of the world community. Canada does have world-class
researchers, and have stepped up before. Why not think BIG ?

This would be a team REALLY worth cheering for !

With the way HC has changed their processes and procedures, I doubt we will be first to market.

I agree in theory but one of the reasons we are in bad shape is non-Canadian companies have walked away from the Canadian market entirely because it is too much of a pain to license products in Canada. It is getting difficult in many ways.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
With the way HC has changed their processes and procedures, I doubt we will be first to market.

I agree in theory but one of the reasons we are in bad shape is non-Canadian companies have walked away from the Canadian market entirely because it is too much of a pain to license products in Canada. It is getting difficult in many ways.

I hear you regarding the testing protocols necessary to get pharmaceutical approvals. My daughter-in-law has a degree in biology and has worked developing radioactive isotopes for specific cancer treatments. I once asked her what she was working on, and if her work was progressing well. She told me the tests she was conducting showed great promise, but the results of those lab tests were part of the protocols necessary to get approval for the next stage of tests. She estimated they were some 5 years away from clinical trials on humans.
We have research facillities in London at Western University that have developed medications and gotten the necessary approvals for production. However, for whatever reason, the manufacturing licences didn't remain here in Canada, but the manufacturing jobs for actual production went to South Korea.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As a fan it is awalys a sad day when the season ends however in light of the situation I'm not at all surprised by the decision to shutdown the CHL at this time it was the right thing to do.

Off-season officially started to all posters be safe and look forward to seeing what 2020-21 holds.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
So that's that. I feel bad for the kids who had a good shot of winning this year.
Now, what is going to happen to the teams that bulked up at the deadline and traded away draft picks? Are they just going to lose the player to graduation and the picks? I think the league needs to do something to make it fair for everyone here.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
So that's that. I feel bad for the kids who had a good shot of winning this year.
Now, what is going to happen to the teams that bulked up at the deadline and traded away draft picks? Are they just going to lose the player to graduation and the picks? I think the league needs to do something to make it fair for everyone here.
Nothing of the sort. Once you start to bastardiize the rules to help some teams it hurts others and the league loses credibility. Every team will continue their cycle however it would have been had the season not been cancelled. That's my opinion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nothing of the sort. Once you start to bastardiize the rules to help some teams it hurts others and the league loses credibility. Every team will continue their cycle however it would have been had the season not been cancelled. That's my opinion.

100% agree. Trades were made in good faith.

What if a player got a season ending injury game one after the deadline?

Loads of scenario's that are "unfair."

What if Ottawa had made a deal and part of that deal were condition of a first round win? A first round win would have been a lock. Again, can work both ways....

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
100% agree. Trades were made in good faith.

What if a player got a season ending injury game one after the deadline?

Loads of scenario's that are "unfair."

What if Ottawa had made a deal and part of that deal were condition of a first round win? A first round win would have been a lock. Again, can work both ways....
It sucks, but one team gets the shit end of the stick either way. Really sucks for the kids.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
With regards to trades, there is something to consider... what about the trades that had conditions attached to them? Some conditions as I understand were tied to a teams playoff performance.
If there were no playoffs, how could the condition be met? I suppose they could complicate things by negotiation but it should be straight forward.

Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->