Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I haven't had an issue, so I agree. But it's the only explanation I can come up with for how many people dislike meatloaf. There just has to be a lot of bad meatloaf experiences out there.

Yea when I was a kid and I spent the night at a couple friends' house. It was hard to finish the piece given to you
<shudder>

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Just received this email from my kids' school district on how they're implementing grades. My daughter is a junior.

Now that the Governor has confirmed that we will not return to school for this academic year, both high schools are implementing an update to the grading policy for students and teachers. The update will provide a safety net to students experiencing significant disruption during the closure, but also allow students that wish to make gains to do so.

You will find this update to the grading policy in our district Remote Learning Plan, but I will also summarize here. We will continue to take grades and calculate them for a final grade; however, no student that demonstrates effort at remote learning will earn a grade lower than their recorded quarter 3 grade. So, if a student has earned a 75% C during quarter 3, tries their best during quarter 4, and earns a 65%, the teacher will override the quarter 4 grade to a 75%, and the final semester grade will be the same. On the other hand, if that student earns an 85% B in quarter 4, their final semester grade will improve to an 80% B-. No semester exams will be administered this year, so the semester grade depends only on quarters 3 and 4. This update provides a safety net for students, but allows success and progress in remote learning to be counted.

The policy will continue to be supported by teachers, counselors, principals, and other staff reaching out to students and families in need to help. No student will fail quarter 4 if they have responded to those efforts and worked with teachers and supporting educators. We remain committed to that support and partnership, and all students and families are encouraged to reach out with their needs for help.
Some have wondered why we have not adopted a simple pass/fail policy. Our high school teachers and building leaders feel that a simple pass/fail policy prevents the opportunity for students that wish to progress through remote learning to earn the credit for doing so. We also believe that such a simple policy diminishes incentives to continue learning, and the less students continue to work toward learning goals, the more learning gaps will need to be overcome when we return to school. Our policy provides compassionate security for students struggling in remote learning while allowing those that succeed to continue. It also aims to lessen academic losses.

We will continue to respond to student and family requests for help and guidance. Please feel free to reach out.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's a really difficult situation for educators, TBH. I dislike that they're encoding it so officially (which is generally done at the administrative level, not at the teacher level anywho), since that means that teachers don't have any lee-way with students who are obviously brushing the last quarter off. But at the same time, I'm being quite a bit more lenient in my grading as well because, honestly, this is a massively traumatic and disruptive thing for students to go through, from grade school through undergrad. It's basically our worst-case scenario, and because of a host of other factors (standardized testing, insane costs for secondary education, massive disruptions for the foreseeable future regarding expected progress and graduations), we've got to make the best of a shit sandwich.

This is thousands of times worse on the educational system than 9/11 was, by far.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As a pescatarian, this is the kind of chicken and meatloaf I can get into discussing...one outta three ain’t bad

Pescatarian as well, for approaching 40 years now. I have been eating a lot of fish since this started. Salmon, Tilapia, Perch, Ahi Tuna, etc.

Reactions: Andy99

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's a really difficult situation for educators, TBH. I dislike that they're encoding it so officially (which is generally done at the administrative level, not at the teacher level anywho), since that means that teachers don't have any lee-way with students who are obviously brushing the last quarter off. But at the same time, I'm being quite a bit more lenient in my grading as well because, honestly, this is a massively traumatic and disruptive thing for students to go through, from grade school through undergrad. It's basically our worst-case scenario, and because of a host of other factors (standardized testing, insane costs for secondary education, massive disruptions for the foreseeable future regarding expected progress and graduations), we've got to make the best of a shit sandwich.

This is thousands of times worse on the educational system than 9/11 was, by far.
Yeah this is just something that the education system was completely unprepared for. There's just no way you can hold it against a kid (or a teacher or school for that matter) for struggling with this. There's really just no way a teacher can convert to online teaching this quickly and even come close to the effectiveness of what they were doing in the classroom. Maybe you can come close for the super engaged kids who are legitimately trying to get the most of it. Maybe. But the vast majority of students just won't have anywhere near the same level of engagement as they would in a classroom.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I really do not understand why so many people keep referring to 9/11 on this one and your reasoning is 100% why. It's not just apples/oranges... it's like apples/school buses. They are so different.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Yea I can't fault their response to this. Heck my own kids are a contrast in learning styles.

As I mentioned I have a Jr. She struggles with discipline and staying focused (she has my ADD for sure). This lack of structure is really sinking her. She's a B student and has to work hard to get that

I also have a 13 yr old who is just naturally intelligent. She can read something and understand it in the moment. She barely tries and she gets straight A's. She does her weekly assignments remotely in like 1 hour and I wish I could challenge her a different way

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I can't ever forego a good Simpsons reference

Attachments

• 5G.jpg
    5G.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I really do not understand why so many people keep referring to 9/11 on this one and your reasoning is 100% why. It's not just apples/oranges... it's like apples/school buses. They are so different.

They really are.

The wildest part of 9/11 for me has always been how much more people in places that had absolutely no experience with the terror of that day reacted the craziest to it and seem to be the most traumatized by it. Like who the f*** was going to bomb Des Moines? Well, besides the local white nationalists? :laugh:

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Yeah this is just something that the education system was completely unprepared for. There's just no way you can hold it against a kid (or a teacher or school for that matter) for struggling with this. There's really just no way a teacher can convert to online teaching this quickly and even come close to the effectiveness of what they were doing in the classroom. Maybe you can come close for the super engaged kids who are legitimately trying to get the most of it. Maybe. But the vast majority of students just won't have anywhere near the same level of engagement as they would in a classroom.

So i have two kiddos left to get out the door ;) one middle school one high school. Every kid in the their school district at those levels have a chrome book. My school district has an online cyber school system already setup. My daughter is in cyber school this year.
What I don't quite get is why they don't just utilize the system they already have and just have all the kiddos do cyber school. Push all the teachers into a support role.
Basically what they have done here is similar. If you do the assignments (no grading, just completion) you get a 100% in the class. If you just show up and do a few you get a B, and if you do nothing you pass with a C. My daughters Cyber they just reduced the requirement on lesson completion per week. So why they didn't just push everyone into Cyber I dunno.

Thing is it does the kids a disservice and the ones not motivated will be really behind the curve for any learning that is based of education received this year.

Thankfully my high schooler is not a senior. Though he's pissed because he can't get a driver permit since the dmv is closed. Though my auto insurance is very happy about this.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And, honestly, a vast majority of teachers don't either. I'm struggling super hard to stay on top of my own classes this semester because online teaching is just absolutely soul-crushing and demoralizing.
yeah it's like "hey we need you to do all of the busy work parts of teaching, but you can't get any of the good or rewarding parts." It sounds terrible.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So i have two kiddos left to get out the door ;) one middle school one high school. Every kid in the their school district at those levels have a chrome book. My school district has an online cyber school system already setup. My daughter is in cyber school this year.
What I don't quite get is why they don't just utilize the system they already have and just have all the kiddos do cyber school. Push all the teachers into a support role.
Basically what they have done here is similar. If you do the assignments (no grading, just completion) you get a 100% in the class. If you just show up and do a few you get a B, and if you do nothing you pass with a C. My daughters Cyber they just reduced the requirement on lesson completion per week. So why they didn't just push everyone into Cyber I dunno.

Thing is it does the kids a disservice and the ones not motivated will be really behind the curve for any learning that is based of education received this year.

Thankfully my high schooler is not a senior. Though he's pissed because he can't get a driver permit since the dmv is closed. Though my auto insurance is very happy about this.
I can't say I know enough about cyberschool to really know how that would work compared to what's happening now. It does seem like they could use the infrastructure at least.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So I heard yesterday PA is going to open back up on 08 May... well, partial open (no gatherings) and non essential stores can open. That is called the yellow phase in our governors corona color chart.

I don't blame him going barney style in color coding the 3 phases... as we have all began to see for awhile now.. bright isn't how I would describe most of society.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So I heard yesterday PA is going to open back up on 08 May... well, partial open (no gatherings) and non essential stores can open. That is called the yellow phase in our governors corona color chart.

I don't blame him going barney style in color coding the 3 phases... as we have all began to see for awhile now.. bright isn't how I would describe most of society.
I'm really curious how my work handles this. I started working from home about 2 weeks before any mandates started, so I wonder if I stay home longer as well.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I can't say I know enough about cyberschool to really know how that would work compared to what's happening now. It does seem like they could use the infrastructure at least.

I am all for dismantling schools totally. All it does is teach uniformity and a bully breeding ground to f*** with kids minds.

I say teach the fundamentals.... how to read, arithmetic, how to balance spending / saving, eating properly, exercise, etc etc, for 4 years. School goes all year with only a month off for summer and a month off for winter.
After the 4 year mandatory schooling you can take a test. This isn't an SAT or a p/f test, but an interest identifier.
When you identify a child's aptitude they would then focus on development of that area or field.
If you rate as a ditch digger, obviously not every kid is Tesla level of gifted, you would focus on areas more geared toward security or building / logistical stuff... whatever...

Very crude outline and thrown together word wise sloppily, but I have always been a big proponent of revising our learning system. I think schooling today is archaic and embarrassing. Education should never be denied because of cost.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Any analogy is going to be imperfect.

But there are some similarities. The coming together as a nation, very temporary in both cases, shared grief and sacrifice, and as I have pointed out there will be changes to how we do things. Some predictable, some not. Some short term and some forever.

War is another similar analogy.

Pointing it out only is pointing out that these kind of events are rare, a generation (which technically is usually defined as approximately a twenty year period) rarely experiences more than one, and it in a statistically measurable amount impacts their interractions with the world for the rest of their lives. As I linked before those who were just out of college, or those coming of age and seeing their parents struggle, during 2008 are statistically the most fiscally conservative group since the depression.

So the analogy does work if you use it in limited logical ways. Like every tool it is how you use it that counts.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm really curious how my work handles this. I started working from home about 2 weeks before any mandates started, so I wonder if I stay home longer as well.

I'm guessing yes...
It's not a race to reopen. At least, that is the feeling I got from the announcement.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm actually hooked on farina for breakfast now. Actually, I kind of enjoy it for a snack too. More for a snack though because of it's 0 fat it isn't ideal for breakfast as your body needs a proper energy source to start the day and maintain from there.

Also I like to cook it... I'm amazed how much water it just soaks up... really weird =P

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am all for dismantling schools totally. All it does is teach uniformity and a bully breeding ground to f*** with kids minds.

I say teach the fundamentals.... how to read, arithmetic, how to balance spending / saving, eating properly, exercise, etc etc, for 4 years. School goes all year with only a month off for summer and a month off for winter.
After the 4 year mandatory schooling you can take a test. This isn't an SAT or a p/f test, but an interest identifier.
When you identify a child's aptitude they would then focus on development of that area or field.
If you rate as a ditch digger, obviously not every kid is Tesla level of gifted, you would focus on areas more geared toward security or building / logistical stuff... whatever...

Very crude outline and thrown together word wise sloppily, but I have always been a big proponent of revising our learning system. I think schooling today is archaic and embarrassing. Education should never be denied because of cost.
today's schooling is a mess and totally needs rebuilt, but I really hate the idea of putting kids on tracks like that. Especially via a test. There's just no way you can expose them to enough things to know what they like or what they would be good at in 4 years. What age are you talking about for those 4 years btw?

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
today's schooling is a mess and totally needs rebuilt, but I really hate the idea of putting kids on tracks like that. Especially via a test. There's just no way you can expose them to enough things to know what they like or what they would be good at in 4 years. What age are you talking about for those 4 years btw?

no idea. i'm not married to anything i posted. just spit balling a post to build a conversation around.

So... I donno....8 or 10? Not saying there wouldn't be other forms of learning along the way... but after having a kid and seeing what she really likes and also what she dislikes (she has special needs also) I can already see where she would flourish and where she would fail. Well... that may be too concrete since she is only 7 in may... let's not say 'fail or succeed' already, but definite areas of weakness in contrast to her stronger areas.

Also... you can enroll in as many areas of learning as a kid wishes. So there can be a general 'path' similar to today, but it just allows kids with interest and focus in other areas to actually GET that started at an earlier age if they so desire and are adept.

That's my main focus... for kids with obvious strengths that don't allow those kind of in-depth hands on learning opportunities until much later in our system we have now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
no idea. i'm not married to anything i posted. just spit balling a post to build a conversation around.

So... I donno....8 or 10? Not saying there wouldn't be other forms of learning along the way... but after having a kid and seeing what she really likes and also what she dislikes (she has special needs also) I can already see where she would flourish and where she would fail. Well... that may be too concrete since she is only 7 in may... let's not say 'fail or succeed' already, but definite areas of weakness in contrast to her stronger areas.

Also... you can enroll in as many areas of learning as a kid wishes. So there can be a general 'path' similar to today, but it just allows kids with interest and focus in other areas to actually GET that started at an earlier age if they so desire and are adept.

That's my main focus... for kids with obvious strengths that don't allow those kind of in-depth hands on learning opportunities until much later in our system we have now.
adding more focused options is cool, but nobody should ever be forced to them. And a lot more hands on and practical stuff would be awesome. School should be for all kinds of education, not just 12 years of college prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad