Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer. I guess I'm making chili and burrito bowls tomorrow instead of right now.

eca.jpg

actually that means I'm making something like chicken nuggets tonight, which I really love in a weird nostalgic kind of way.

Hey I just put frozen fish sticks on my grocery list. I ain't gonna hate

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: I was about to reply to comment 2 because meatloaf is great. That said, I have only ever made it for myself like twice. And meatloaf done wrong is not good, and it is apparently pretty easy to do wrong.

Also, you can't just make blanket statements about the beef ratio. Different meals call for different ratios. Maybe that's why you don't like meatloaf.

I can summarize #2 for you, you act as if you are making a traditional meatloaf and then break that up into patties. You can cook all and freeze extras, or wrap up and freeze the extra uncooked patties for later. Thaw and cook later.

The safest way to break down portion issues.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Just remember live stock generally bring about pests too. Not just Coyotes like in @Don'tcry4mejanhrdina case (sorry about your hen), rats will eventually creep their way into the fold. I seen in a neighbor's yard (worked on this property next door over the last 15 +years) having a few hens in a very small coop and fenced in a small portion of their yard in Friendship in the city. They can be very quiet at times, seen them collect eggs, but there is a rat problem too. I found a dead rat the size of a small young cat while opening a floor, not that old and semi fresh. It was huge. River Rat. I wish I still had the pic. I have seen smaller ones around over the years.

We experienced this issue when we were young and had rabbit coops, where we started out with 4 in a couple coops and became owners of much more than that to the point we got rid of them all do to rats. When you have to put feed out it's not just your animals eating it. So keep any coop as far back from your house and take safe measures from them trying to penetrate your home. The only cats that will work around your house is wild born who are not being feed by you or your neighbor's. They will get use to getting it the easy way and not do their job.

Great form of getting your eggs, but it can also be a curse/chore. Keeping a clean run coop with feeders that don't allow rats access like a treadle feeder. But that doesn't mean the food can't be spread about still.

If you do it you have to be all in.

Getting rid of rats from your chicken coop: a complete guide.

@Don'tcry4mejanhrdina how often do you clean your coop? You seem to have some property and this may not affect you as much being away from your house further? And have you ever thought to fence them in for the coyotes? If so, make sure to bury the fence 2'/3' so they can't dig their way in. It's pretty bold to do it during the day if there is activity going on or near your house. Dogs and whatnot. Maybe lock them up earlier if you don't have a fenced in coop area.

I thought to do this, I just always remember what I have to do beyond taking care of chickens and what they bring around in time. My neighbor next door had issues with just having a garden. Our side doors mirror each other, and as I would stand outside to smoke I have seen rats go past his door to the back to hit up his garden.

Not trying to scare you away from the idea, Jacob. It's not for the people who will want to put in minimal effort. Like me.

We clean out the area around their roosts every week and do a full clean maybe once a month since their coop stays pretty clean because we free range them whenever we're home. My coop is about 30 yards off to the side of my house. They have a good sized completely fenced in run that they stay in while we're not home. I could fence my yards (I actually have a gate that we've never used at the end of my driveway) but I have a pretty big yard so to fence everything in would be very expensive. I mean, my driveway alone is 85 yards long, plus with some pretty rocky areas digging down wouldn't be an option in certain areas. Not to mention that wouldn't stop any of the barred owls/great horned owls/red tailed hawks that frequent the area, or weasels or fishers that can either go through a fence or climb over it.

We usually would lock them up in the run about an hour before dark but we've admittedly gotten a little lax lately since they always hang around close to the house when it starts getting later in the evening. We could just not free range them but we like giving our chickens the best life possible. It's a tough thing to balance sometimes.

As far as rats are concerned, I've never seen one here or had a picture of one on a trail camera. I guess I did find a skeleton of one under my wood pile a few years back. Again, all of these predators that could potentially kill our chickens would also kill the rats so maybe it's not worth it for them.

This is just the risk we run of having chickens. It sucks that it finally happened but it's life.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We clean out the area around their roosts every week and do a full clean maybe once a month since their coop stays pretty clean because we free range them whenever we're home. My coop is about 30 yards off to the side of my house. They have a good sized completely fenced in run that they stay in while we're not home. I could fence my yards (I actually have a gate that we've never used at the end of my driveway) but I have a pretty big yard so to fence everything in would be very expensive. I mean, my driveway alone is 85 yards long, plus with some pretty rocky areas digging down wouldn't be an option in certain areas. Not to mention that wouldn't stop any of the barred owls/great horned owls/red tailed hawks that frequent the area, or weasels or fishers that can either go through a fence or climb over it.

We usually would lock them up in the run about an hour before dark but we've admittedly gotten a little lax lately since they always hang around close to the house when it starts getting later in the evening. We could just not free range them but we like giving our chickens the best life possible. It's a tough thing to balance sometimes.

As far as rats are concerned, I've never seen one here or had a picture of one on a trail camera. I guess I did find a skeleton of one under my wood pile a few years back. Again, all of these predators that could potentially kill our chickens would also kill the rats so maybe it's not worth it for them.

This is just the risk we run of having chickens. It sucks that it finally happened but it's life.

You already have your run so no need to do another, but you could enclose your run to protect from all predators and keep the chicken wire to a smaller diameter. It doesn't have to be huge either, though I get you want to give them the best of freedom. 12'x12' or 12'x16'.

Should be fairly cheap. Certainly some effort/time is your biggest cost.

953db7db41d17b6d2e81f4a6930fc308.jpg

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
You already have your run so no need to do another, but you could enclose your run to protect from all predators and keep the chicken wire to a smaller diameter. It doesn't have to be huge either, though I get you want to give them the best of freedom. 12'x12' or 12'x16'.

Should be fairly cheap. Certainly some effort/time is your biggest cost.

953db7db41d17b6d2e81f4a6930fc308.jpg
My run is close to that size already and completely enclosed.
olEjYZ5jSdGu1ONS8BF8Ig.jpg
Their coop is much bigger than that as well. I built a shed and converted it into a coop. It's not quite finished in that pic but you get the idea.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Roche says a vaccine is unlikely before the end of 2021. Only need to stay inside for another 20 months or so hopefully.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Very nice...Roof to boot. Nice added touch.
Gotta keep those ladies dry. We cover much of it with plastic in the winter to keep the snow/wind out of it too.

We talked about getting meat hens as well but we'd get attached to them too and wouldn't have the heart to kill them. I must be getting soft in my old age. Though our chickens would have a much better life than most of the chickens we buy in the store. Even "cage free" birds often means birds crammed into giant buildings with no room to even walk. I want to know where my food comes from and how it's harvested/processed (a big reason why I hunt as well).

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Gotta keep those ladies dry. We cover much of it with plastic in the winter to keep the snow/wind out of it too.

We talked about getting meat hens as well but we'd get attached to them too and wouldn't have the heart to kill them. I must be getting soft in my old age. Though our chickens would have a much better life than most of the chickens we buy in the store. Even "cage free" birds often means birds crammed into giant buildings with no room to even walk. I want to know where my food comes from and how it's harvested/processed (a big reason why I hunt as well).
Can I come live with you and your chickens if this turns in to a full on apocalypse? I'll bring a sleeping bag and a pound of Washington State's finest horticulture.

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
:laugh::laugh:
:laugh: I was about to reply to comment 2 because meatloaf is great. That said, I have only ever made it for myself like twice. And meatloaf done wrong is not good, and it is apparently pretty easy to do wrong.

Also, you can't just make blanket statements about the beef ratio. Different meals call for different ratios. Maybe that's why you don't like meatloaf.

how do you mess up meatloaf? It’s just physically impossible:laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And while I don't really get or like ICP or their music, they have an incredible cult following and have seriously done tremendous for themselves. If you really think how much they squeezed out of a gimmick, you just have to sit back and applaud. It was very basic gimmick 1990s stuff when shock jock attitude was mega in. As a kid, everyone in the WORLD heard The Great Milenko album. If you were a kid in k-8 in the late 90s, you 10000% at least heard of it.

It is 2020... and they still run strong. Their fans are just as crazy as they always were. Beyond amazing to me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He wears cargo pants. NEVER trust a man who wears cargo pants.

dude you know I haven't worn anything but sweats, pajama pants, or gym shorts in weeks now. And I actually don't think I own any cargo pants. Cargo shorts on the other hand :laugh:

I do have one pair of joggers actually that I wear for running when it's cold. They are just less comfortable than sweats/pajamas if I don't actually need the tighter fit for running though. They are purely for utility.
:laugh::laugh:

how do you mess up meatloaf? It’s just physically impossible:laugh:
I'm not saying I've done it, but I have had bad meatloaf. I haven't cooked my own bad meatloaf, but I've had bad meatloaf. It's too dry a lot of the time. Kinda bland. I guess it's too much bread crumb, trying to stretch the meat too far. And considering how many people seem to dislike meatloaf, I assume most of them are basing that on bad meatloaf.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
dude you know I haven't worn anything but sweats, pajama pants, or gym shorts in weeks now. And I actually don't think I own any cargo pants. Cargo shorts on the other hand :laugh:

I do have one pair of joggers actually that I wear for running when it's cold. They are just less comfortable than sweats/pajamas if I don't actually need the tighter fit for running though. They are purely for utility.

I'm not saying I've done it, but I have had bad meatloaf. I haven't cooked my own bad meatloaf, but I've had bad meatloaf. It's too dry a lot of the time. Kinda bland. I guess it's too much bread crumb, trying to stretch the meat too far. And considering how many people seem to dislike meatloaf, I assume most of them are basing that on bad meatloaf.

it's ok for those who have had bad meatloaf, read and have hope. Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf

i'm making some bacon wrapped pepper jack cheese stuffed meatloaf this weekend.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

If i throw shorts on - i've made it. I'm so used to working from home. I have my set up. I rock my compression UA shorts and a hoodie. When I workout... who the f*** cares? I am at home - i don't even throw shorts on for that. :laugh: So i just got the old 7 inch compression shorts and that's my life.

So i can't call anyone out.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Roche says a vaccine is unlikely before the end of 2021. Only need to stay inside for another 20 months or so hopefully.
You don't necessarily need a vaccine in the interim. Some effective therapeutics certainly as well as people applying common sense would go a long way.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
You don't necessarily need a vaccine in the interim. Some effective therapeutics certainly as well as people applying common sense would go a long way.

If anything this has taught me people applying common sense is long gone.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

still, pretty hard to screw it up. I’m no culinary chef, but if you remotely follow the recipe you’re good.

damn, never thought we’d be discussing meatloaf on this board...:laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
still, pretty hard to screw it up. I’m no culinary chef, but if you remotely follow the recipe you’re good.

damn, never thought we’d be discussing meatloaf on this board...:laugh:
I haven't had an issue, so I agree. But it's the only explanation I can come up with for how many people dislike meatloaf. There just has to be a lot of bad meatloaf experiences out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad