Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Now I'm curious. Has there ever been an unsuccessful grocery store trip?
=P

Yes..the day after they announced lockdown here...the shelves were literally empty....so had to live off my extras for a couple weeks until I bothered to brave out again, lol.

Stock is much better again. Still no paper products and limited eggs lol.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Yes..the day after they announced lockdown here...the shelves were literally empty....so had to live off my extras for a couple weeks until I bothered to brave out again, lol.

Toilet paper still has not returned.
This guy has all of it:

there are also huge sections in walmart that are wiped out. like no lunch meat, no milk (local grocery store has though), no eggs, no paper products, very few frozen pizzas or frozen veggies. I mean there's enough there to get by. But I've never seen a 50 foot long lunch meat section completely empty like that. That was this last weekend, I turned around and went to GIANT and they were better.
For the first time I'm slightly concerned about our ability to restock the shelves. I mean we are over a month in, all the hoarders should've filled their pantries and built their TP fortresses and the shelves should start to get more stuff on them but if anything it's maybe a little worse now then it was two weeks ago. YMMV

Reactions: EightyOne

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Toilet paper still has not returned.
This guy has all of it:

there are also huge sections in walmart that are wiped out. like no lunch meat, no milk (local grocery store has though), no eggs, no paper products, very few frozen pizzas or frozen veggies. I mean there's enough there to get by. But I've never seen a 50 foot long lunch meat section completely empty like that. That was this last weekend, I turned around and went to GIANT and they were better.
For the first time I'm slightly concerned about our ability to restock the shelves. I mean we are over a month in, all the hoarders should've filled their pantries and built their TP fortresses and the shelves should start to get more stuff on them but if anything it's maybe a little worse now then it was two weeks ago. YMMV

Key is to figure out when their "restock" day is

We have been ordering from click list (Kroger) every week, but as the time goes by it seems they are out of additional things. Like we've attempted for the past 4 weeks to buy minute rice cups- no luck.

Well I went at 11am today to a different Kroger to fill in what we needed. Prior to leaving work I asked my asst if she needed anything and she laughed and said "toilet paper, but don't bother looking bc there won't be any"

Went on my run and everything I was seeking, this Kroger had and PLENTY of it. Even went down the TP aisle and while it wasn't 100% full stock with various brands I'd say it was about 60% full inventory wise

Came back to the office looking like a freakin hero to her lol.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Key is to figure out when their "restock" day is

We have been ordering from click list (Kroger) every week, but as the time goes by it seems they are out of additional things. Like we've attempted for the past 4 weeks to buy minute rice cups- no luck.

Well I went at 11am today to a different Kroger to fill in what we needed. Prior to leaving work I asked my asst if she needed anything and she laughed and said "toilet paper, but don't bother looking bc there won't be any"

Went on my run and everything I was seeking, this Kroger had and PLENTY of it. Even went down the TP aisle and while it wasn't 100% full stock with various brands I'd say it was about 60% full inventory wise

Came back to the office looking like a freakin hero to her lol.

I'm actually ok on TP. two weeks from now maybe not. But my tip to all is that walmart is very good at real time updating their inventory. Search the site for TP at your local walmart, when you see it flip from out of stock to in stock go to the store right then...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Sam's Club was back to normal levels, and with only one per visit rules everyone should be able to get paper products. The over buying greed is gone. It should have been that way from the start.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sure.

Go out grocery shopping now searching for toilet paper (possible to a degree) and disinfectant wipes (impossible).

Flour and TP are pretty easy to find in Pgh now from my experiences... impossible a couple weeks ago though.

The disinfectant wipes supply won’t be fully replenished until early June. So you just have to get lucky there.

We happened to buy some in bulk like usual before shit went crazy and still have two full containers.

We just ration them, basically.

We don’t use them to disinfect the kitchen anymore, we found some spray for that... and we just use the wipes for when we go out and bring stuff home, etc.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
28,000 Missing Deaths: Tracking the True Toll of the Coronavirus Crisis

NYT reporting that NYC deaths over the last 5.5 weeks has been 17,200 more than the historical average, and 4,000 more than recorded Coronavirus deaths. Meaning there is likely a significant undercount in official death tolls from the disease, and .2% (1/500) of NYC residents have been killed by the disease since March, which would seem to be in conflict with what our resident pretend epidemiologists would claim on HF Penguins. Stay safe everyone.

Reactions: Jacob

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I have a separate browser open just for the CDC website. I duplicate the tab and then refresh it near daily. On the 16th they have 27.0k deaths, the 19th 37.2k deaths, the 20th 39.1k deaths, and the death number is the same --- nope, just changed to 41.8k for today .

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Results of another study of hydroxychloroquine were released. While not whatever a "rigorous" experiment is, to my knowledge it was the largest study yet, with 368 patients. Study was sponsored by grants from NIH and UVA and was based on analysis of VA records.

The results were grim, here is a snip from the conclusion:

In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone.

I'm sure there will be more studies releasing results in the near future. Maybe future results will be different, but I remain skeptical.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20065920v1.full.pdf

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I'm glad we have 6 adult egg hens, plus 5 chicks that are less than a week old and 2 more chicks coming next month. We're always stocked with eggs. We plan on getting ducks next since we already have a pond out front.

Now if they hadn't closed most boat launches I could keep myself stocked up on fresh fish as well.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Farmer's markets here opened yesterday, just in time to get fresh lamb and pork sausages. Still waiting for the the non-Slavic veggies to be in season though. As much as I like dill pickles, even I'm getting to the point where I'd like something else.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Farmer's markets here opened yesterday, just in time to get fresh lamb and pork sausages. Still waiting for the the non-Slavic veggies to be in season though. As much as I like dill pickles, even I'm getting to the point where I'd like something else.
I have a ridiculous number of frozen pepper and onion blends and frozen Asian stir-fry vegetable blends right now. Plus a bunch of cans of diced tomato and a bunch of salsa. I'm pretty much alternating week to week between an Asian style stirfry and a burrito bowl for lunch. I'm spicing it up next week though. Chorizo instead of chicken in the burrito bowls.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Results of another study of hydroxychloroquine were released. While not whatever a "rigorous" experiment is, to my knowledge it was the largest study yet, with 368 patients. Study was sponsored by grants from NIH and UVA and was based on analysis of VA records.

In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19. An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone.

I'm sure there will be more studies releasing results in the near future. Maybe future results will be different, but I remain skeptical.

Oh yeah? Well, I watched three YouTube videos that said it does work.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
All the anecdotal evidence of HCQ was on mild to moderate cases. No doctors were claiming it was getting severe cases off intubation, but the only studies have been on severe cases.

Reactions: Sideline

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Does anyone else do their own pickles? How does switching up the vinegar taste? It's getting hard to find apple cider vinegar here.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I'm glad we have 6 adult egg hens, plus 5 chicks that are less than a week old and 2 more chicks coming next month. We're always stocked with eggs. We plan on getting ducks next since we already have a pond out front.

Now if they hadn't closed most boat launches I could keep myself stocked up on fresh fish as well.
Not to mention how much better farm fresh eggs taste (and look) than what we can find at the grocery. I'm envious.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Not to mention how much better farm fresh eggs taste (and look) than what we can find at the grocery. I'm envious.
Oh they're great. Rich, dark yolks. Plus chickens are hilarious, I have them following me around whenever I'm outside, looking for treats. They even walk right in our door as if they own the place if I don't stop them. I'm still a little surprised nothing has got them yet since we have so many predators on our property (coyotes, fishers, foxes, raccoons, bears, owls, hawks, etc...) but so far so good. We only have them free ranging when we're home though, otherwise they're in the run during the day.
Might f*** around and get some chickens,
A lot of people are now, actually. Many feed stores are getting behind on orders because so many people want to be a little more self sufficient with all of this going on.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
All the anecdotal evidence of HCQ was on mild to moderate cases. No doctors were claiming it was getting severe cases off intubation, but the only studies have been on severe cases.
I would generally agree with you, although Raoult, the French doc who set this whole thing off made plenty of outlandish claims contemporaneously with this "study". He also claimed a "100% cure rate" and I don't need to remind what Fox News and certain politicians have been saying about this "game changing" "miracle drug". I think we will get a lot more information in the near future in any case, there's at least 30 ongoing studies.

Reactions: Factorial

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I would generally agree with you, although Raoult, the French doc who set this whole thing off made plenty of outlandish claims contemporaneously with this "study". He also claimed a "100% cure rate" and I don't need to remind what Fox News and certain politicians have been saying about this "game changing" "miracle drug". I think we will get a lot more information in the near future in any case, there's at least 30 ongoing studies.

I always listen to the advice of simple country doctors and lawyers.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA

Science? Testing? Blasphemy!

Lets just say it works and tell everyone because we saw it on our favorite news channel.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Of course, I was in the house working out yesterday evening after work and then went outside after I was done to see if the chickens were in the coop yet to lock them up for the night, they were nowhere to be found. After a few minutes 4 of them come out from under my shed's back deck, obviously hiding from something and went right into the coop (usually they hang around a bit longer when they see me before putting themselves to bed). I start looking behind the coop and 1 of our barred rocks comes running towards me from the bush off to the side of the house. I figure our missing Rhode Island red would be coming behind her since she's always hanging back behind the others but she never came. I looked for about an hour until it got dark but no sign of her, something must have grabbed her. She was our favourite chicken too. :( My wife is pretty upset about it.

I wish I knew what got her, I'm hoping it was just one of the barred owls we have living around here. If it's a coyote or a fox they'll be back for sure. I chased a coyote out from behind the house a few weeks back early in the morning. I've always had the mentality towards "pest" animals that if you leave me and my animals alone, I'll leave you alone. I usually like seeing/hearing coyotes. But if they start going after my chickens, game over.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Of course, I was in the house working out yesterday evening after work and then went outside after I was done to see if the chickens were in the coop yet to lock them up for the night, they were nowhere to be found. After a few minutes 4 of them come out from under my shed's back deck, obviously hiding from something and went right into the coop (usually they hang around a bit longer when they see me before putting themselves to bed). I start looking behind the coop and 1 of our barred rocks comes running towards me from the bush off to the side of the house. I figure our missing Rhode Island red would be coming behind her since she's always hanging back behind the others but she never came. I looked for about an hour until it got dark but no sign of her, something must have grabbed her. She was our favourite chicken too. :( My wife is pretty upset about it.

I wish I knew what got her, I'm hoping it was just one of the barred owls we have living around here. If it's a coyote or a fox they'll be back for sure. I chased a coyote out from behind the house a few weeks back early in the morning. I've always had the mentality towards "pest" animals that if you leave me and my animals alone, I'll leave you alone. I usually like seeing/hearing coyotes. But if they start going after my chickens, game over.
Sorry for your loss brother but you have chicks on the way, circle of life and all of that! Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad