Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Might f*** around and get some chickens,

My friend had them when I lived in DC. Well, he lived in Edgewater Maryland.... ****ing gorgeous area. I went over his house often to go out boating and swimming.

Anyways, he had several chickens in his yard... out in the back near the treeline... When I first saw them, I asked 'dafuq you doin' with chickens??'..... then I tasted the eggs and was a proponent ever since. I'd use to ask him to bring me some CFFF eggs in to work for me =]

Honestly, they aren't even that loud / annoying.... it's kind of soothing after awhile when you get used to it.

If you have the space I say go for it. You don't need much room at all.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My boss sent out an email last evening asking what work from home items we'd need if the WFH requirement is extended into the fall...

What does your job do about going to work sites now? I suppose you just wear a mask when you go to job sites for commission work or what ever?

Is there less work around during this for your company?

I imagine the contracts still go out, ya?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What does your job do about going to work sites now? I suppose you just wear a mask when you go to job sites for commission work or what ever?

Is there less work around during this for your company?

I imagine the contracts still go out, ya?

Masks always required as of the 13th. They also have a 55 gallon barrel of hand sanitizer so you can refill your personal bottle. Keep at least 6 feet away when possible (sometimes it isn't). My project is way different than the rest of the company so I'm not sure what the other peons are doing.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Masks always required as of the 13th. They also have a 55 gallon barrel of hand sanitizer so you can refill your personal bottle. Keep at least 6 feet away when possible (sometimes it isn't). My project is way different than the rest of the company so I'm not sure what the other peons are doing.

Yeah. Just curious. I haven't spoken to my 'friend' .. not really friend.. just acquaintance in awhile. The electrical engineer. So he always worked from home outside of having to go to job sites.... I figure work would continue as normal but just strap on a mask during site visits.

Not to pry into your personal life, but is your company struggling with layoffs during this?

Not sure about Aramark... as I haven't spoken to him

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah. Just curious. I haven't spoken to my 'friend' .. not really friend.. just acquaintance in awhile. The electrical engineer. So he always worked from home outside of having to go to job sites.... I figure work would continue as normal but just strap on a mask during site visits.

Not to pry into your personal life, but is your company struggling with layoffs during this?

Not sure about Aramark... as I haven't spoken to him

We laid off about 10 people maybe a month ago. More layoffs were expected with a suspected re-organization soon after but that has yet to happen. My company may be doing something nice for once by not laying people off during this pandemic.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
My boss sent out an email last evening asking what work from home items we'd need if the WFH requirement is extended into the fall...

So you haven't been in the office since this happened?

Once the state issues the directive to begin their phasing in, we're going to mimic that and slowly add people back to the office. Will we ever go back to having 80 people in our building at the same time? Idk

What also is interesting is that we're going to break ground on a brand new building. I wonder if those blueprints will change now that we know we can live without all 80 people in the office?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
So you haven't been in the office since this happened?

Once the state issues the directive to begin their phasing in, we're going to mimic that and slowly add people back to the office. Will we ever go back to having 80 people in our building at the same time? Idk

What also is interesting is that we're going to break ground on a brand new building. I wonder if those blueprints will change now that we know we can live without all 80 people in the office?

I mean, I haven't worked in the office since last September. :laugh: Instead I'm usually working out of a triple wide trailer in West Virginia.

Back in, I think, December our company instituted a regular work from home policy. I think most people took up that offer for at least half of their work week. For all I know, they could really be using this as a trial period to see how much office space is actually needed and what the cost'd be to send employees work equipment.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
made this for dinner last night... oh mama...

Attachments

• yummy.JPG
    yummy.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 3

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
made this for dinner last night... oh mama...
I would love a burger right now. Man does that look good. We got some burgers delivered a week or two ago, and it's just not the same. Too much time sitting on the bun before it gets here, the whole thing was just kinda soggy and sad.

I've got stuff for making Chili later tonight. If I had buns I think I'd put a burger's worth of meat aside and make one, but alas I will continue my sad burgerless life.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Might f*** around and get some chickens,

Just remember live stock generally bring about pests too. Not just Coyotes like in @Don'tcry4mejanhrdina case (sorry about your hen), rats will eventually creep their way into the fold. I seen in a neighbor's yard (worked on this property next door over the last 15 +years) having a few hens in a very small coop and fenced in a small portion of their yard in Friendship in the city. They can be very quiet at times, seen them collect eggs, but there is a rat problem too. I found a dead rat the size of a small young cat while opening a floor, not that old and semi fresh. It was huge. River Rat. I wish I still had the pic. I have seen smaller ones around over the years.

We experienced this issue when we were young and had rabbit coops, where we started out with 4 in a couple coops and became owners of much more than that to the point we got rid of them all do to rats. When you have to put feed out it's not just your animals eating it. So keep any coop as far back from your house and take safe measures from them trying to penetrate your home. The only cats that will work around your house is wild born who are not being feed by you or your neighbor's. They will get use to getting it the easy way and not do their job.

Great form of getting your eggs, but it can also be a curse/chore. Keeping a clean run coop with feeders that don't allow rats access like a treadle feeder. But that doesn't mean the food can't be spread about still.

If you do it you have to be all in.

Getting rid of rats from your chicken coop: a complete guide.

@Don'tcry4mejanhrdina how often do you clean your coop? You seem to have some property and this may not affect you as much being away from your house further? And have you ever thought to fence them in for the coyotes? If so, make sure to bury the fence 2'/3' so they can't dig their way in. It's pretty bold to do it during the day if there is activity going on or near your house. Dogs and whatnot. Maybe lock them up earlier if you don't have a fenced in coop area.

I thought to do this, I just always remember what I have to do beyond taking care of chickens and what they bring around in time. My neighbor next door had issues with just having a garden. Our side doors mirror each other, and as I would stand outside to smoke I have seen rats go past his door to the back to hit up his garden.

Not trying to scare you away from the idea, Jacob. It's not for the people who will want to put in minimal effort. Like me.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Whatcha got in there?
I used my special recipe I concocted over the years from experimenting... I can tell ya how in PM if you want to know... it's kind of lengthy ...

toasted Kaiser roll
93/7 beef
Jalapeno's
American cheese
Maple bacon
Lettuce
salt n peppa

damn good burger. damn good.

I would love a burger right now. Man does that look good. We got some burgers delivered a week or two ago, and it's just not the same. Too much time sitting on the bun before it gets here, the whole thing was just kinda soggy and sad.

I've got stuff for making Chili later tonight. If I had buns I think I'd put a burger's worth of meat aside and make one, but alas I will continue my sad burgerless life.

Sadly, people are accustomed to those ratty fast food burgers or subjected to a soggy burger, I feel your pain - that is why I whipped up a batch of these patties.

Chili can be incredible too... you ever try it with venison? Also, I hear meatless chili is amazing, but have not tried that myself.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I used my special recipe I concocted over the years from experimenting... I can tell ya how in PM if you want to know... it's kind of lengthy ...

toasted Kaiser roll
93/7 beef
Jalapeno's
American cheese
Maple bacon
Lettuce
salt n peppa

damn good burger. damn good.

Sadly, people are accustomed to those ratty fast food burgers or subjected to a soggy burger, I feel your pain - that is why I whipped up a batch of these patties.

Chili can be incredible too... you ever try it with venison? Also, I hear meatless chili is amazing, but have not tried that myself.

I love jalepenos on nearly anything in life. Have you ever done a burger with jalepenos, swiss, bacon and CREAM CHEESE and just a dash of sweet and sour sauce?
OMG I thought cream cheese on a burger would be gross but it's fantastic

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't mind a fast food burger for what it is. I'd rather get a Wendy's burger knowing what I'm getting than get what is normally a good burger, but it got soggy because it took half an hour to get to me after it was assembled. That one is way more disappointing mostly because I expect more from it :laugh:
I love chili. I've made it with venison once and it was super good. It's just not something I have available on any sort of regular basis though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I love jalepenos on nearly anything in life. Have you ever done a burger with jalepenos, swiss, bacon and CREAM CHEESE and just a dash of sweet and sour sauce?
OTB in southside does (at least they did a few years ago) a burger similar to that. No sweet and sour sauce, but they throw pico de gallo in there too. The cream cheese is soooooo good.

And yeah, I'm coming around to jalapenos recently. I never used to care for them much, but I figured out why. I prefer them added on top of things at the end instead of cooking with them. They are a good addition for special bites, but I don't want them to overpower everything else when they are cooked in with it the whole time. I don't have any right now, but I love throwing some into a bowl of chili. I make a really good chicken breast stuffed with bacon and jalapeno cream cheese. Well, I stuffed them once. Every other time I've just thrown it on top because who can be bothered with all that? :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I love meatloaf burgers. It can be simply made from making a meatloaf and doing slices, but that's not the same. Put cheese in the center.

Damn.... We only have one pound of meat left and that's for the taco's.

Next time. Now I have to go and eat .... something. :laugh:

Edit: Chicken salad it is.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
28,000 Missing Deaths: Tracking the True Toll of the Coronavirus Crisis

NYT reporting that NYC deaths over the last 5.5 weeks has been 17,200 more than the historical average, and 4,000 more than recorded Coronavirus deaths. Meaning there is likely a significant undercount in official death tolls from the disease, and .2% (1/500) of NYC residents have been killed by the disease since March, which would seem to be in conflict with what our resident pretend epidemiologists would claim on HF Penguins. Stay safe everyone.

so 4000 more recorded deaths, currently they report 10K covid 19 deaths in NYC. COVID-19: Data - NYC Health
so are you saying 14K total deaths out of a population of 8.7M. where does 1/500 come from? just help me out with the math you are using here...

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
so 4000 more recorded deaths, currently they report 10K covid 19 deaths in NYC. COVID-19: Data - NYC Health
so are you saying 14K total deaths out of a population of 8.7M. where does 1/500 come from? just help me out with the math you are using here...

He's saying that even if all NYC residents (~8.7M) were infected (which is unlikely) that the math 17200/8.7M shows an IFR of .2%. The .2% is in the range of what some have been touting as the real IFR. So, unless everyone in NYC has it ... IFR is actually higher. Probably several times higher as even the "worst case" #s from some of the sero-positive studies (30%), which are now being torn to shreds upon review, are used.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Cream cheese sounds like a great idea on a burger.

I usually put relish on, but forgot to pick it up at the store last run.

Lunch time!! Going to serve up one of the burgers now =P
only two left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad