Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Seems like a lot of states will be “re-opening” as soon as May 1. At least in some type of form. Will be interesting to see how the numbers look come mid to late May in those states. Of course I’m in NY and locked down until 2022 probably.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I'm with Cascadia. You cannot make these kinds of claims as fact without supporting sources and documentation. You are spouting opinion as fact and that's not good faith. However, you're suggestion is on point and I'll be taking it as well.

What a shame how shall I sleep at night.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
If the flu vaccine was the end all be all why do 40-50K people still die from the flu every year? Probably because it’s older and sicker people who can’t overcome the sickness regardless of taking a magic elixir.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Are you out of work?

To a degree. I have both a salary and compensation which I can’t make while I’m home. Fortunately not anywhere near as bad as many people who have completely lost their job or small business owners.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If the flu vaccine was the end all be all why do 40-50K people still die from the flu every year? Probably because it’s older and sicker people who can’t overcome the sickness regardless of taking a magic elixir.

Many of those deaths are preventable.

Not everyone gets a flu shot.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Many of those deaths are preventable.

Not everyone gets a flu shot.[/QUOTE

And who is to say everyone will get a COVID shot? Unless it’s mandated?

I agree though that the numbers are tough to see the full story with 100 percent accuracy. Many variables in everything.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
To a degree. I have both a salary and compensation which I can’t make while I’m home. Fortunately not anywhere near as bad as many people who have completely lost their job or small business owners.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of part of your compensation, man. Hope it returns in the next year or two.

Reactions: 2wayPlay

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

No doubt people will be morons about this vaccination as well.

Darwin would cheer them on.

God forbid you take five minutes to save your life. Or the life of a loved one. It could never happen to you.

So yeah, idiots about the flu will be idiots about this too.

I am not getting how that invalidates the worth of vaccinations.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
No doubt people will be morons about this vaccination as well.

Darwin would cheer them on.

God forbid you take five minutes to save your life. Or the life of a loved one. It could never happen to you.

So yeah, idiots about the flu will be idiots about this too.

I am not getting how that invalidates the worth of vaccinations.

So people who don’t get the flu shot are morons? If the vaccine was so great why wouldn’t we get a shot one time like Polio for example and it would be eradicated? Maybe because flu strains constantly change and evolve. A simple cold has no medication available to stop it. Sorry if not everyone thinks pumping chemicals into your body when it’s maybe a 50/50 shot each flu season is clearly testing Darwinism.

I normally appreciate the posts you put out as well. Take care my friend and be safe!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
So people who don’t get the flu shot are morons? If the vaccine was so great why wouldn’t we get a shot one time like Polio for example and it would be eradicated? Maybe because flu strains constantly change and evolve. A simple cold has no medication available to stop it. Sorry if not everyone thinks pumping chemicals into your body when it’s maybe a 50/50 shot each flu season is clearly testing Darwinism.

I normally appreciate the posts you put out as well. Take care my friend and be safe!

*I'd DEFINITELY get the vaccine, even if it's not perfect.

*The "Darwin" memes have never actually hit the mark because 99.8%+ of people of reproductive age don't die (and as far as we know, don't lose their ability to reproduce). The people that do die have most likely already passed on their genes if they so choose, and those genes have already passed themselves on for that matter.

*People like Jaded shouldn't want kids anyway. They eat into compound interest, BIG TIME =).

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Except for some very specific cases, people allergic or infants under six months old, the risks are minor , almost nonexistent, for the flu shots, and benefits great. If you do get the flu it will be milder with the shot and your chances of hospitalization or death are much lower.

https://www.healthline.com/health/flu-shot-pros-and-cons

Those in certain groups especially, older, health care workers, etc would certainly be taking stupid chances not getting vaccinated.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Except for some very specific cases, people allergic or infants under six months old, the risks are minor , almost nonexistent, for the flu shots, and benefits great. If you do get the flu it will be milder with the shot and your chances of hospitalization or death are much lower.

What Are the Pros and Cons of the Flu Shot?

Those in certain groups especially, older, health care workers, etc would certainly be taking stupid chances not getting vaccinated.

Healthline is not an independent source. That is mainstream and tied to the pharmaceutical industry.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Because there are 4 different flu strains endemic to humans and most people don’t get the shot.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Because there are 4 different flu strains endemic to humans and most people don’t get the shot.

True. I still don't get a flu shot.

I don't think I really get anything beyond regular colds though every year.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It's not good it'd be freaking GREAT

Because those numbers actually indicate a whole crap ton of people weren't/aren't reactive to this virus
  • Yeah, it's a great result for the lethality of the disease being low.
  • It's a bad result for our ability to contain transmission and rely on individual tests to dictate our strategy.
They two bullets above have been the steady stream of recent studies.

So the dangers are:
1) The known-known: Can we socially keep R0 in spitting distance of 1 to not overwhelm hospital systems? We've gone into this quite a bit.
2) The known-unknown: How long does immunity last for?
3) The other known-unknown: What kind of long-term effects will this have, beyond single anecdotes, in people that live through it?

Then of course there are the unknown unknowns. Whatever those turn out to be.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
True. I still don't get a flu shot.

I don't think I really get anything beyond regular colds though every year.
To be honest I don’t ever recall having a flu-flu in my life. A year ago I got knocked out with something way worse than a normal cold but it came on slowly and resolved quickly which seems atypical of flu symptoms so IDK. At the time I thought it was 2 infections at once. Maybe strep + common cold.

For some reason I never got the pertussis vaccine as a kid. My mom said that there were several shots at the time and the first couple gave me a fever, or at least I got a fever shortly after, so she mentioned it to the doctor and he advised not finishing the shots. Not sure if that was protocol at the time or just his opinion. I ended up getting pertussis in 5th grade and it was kind of an ordeal. Some CDC folks even came to my class (while I was out sick) and checked the kids that sat around me. Pretty miserable time and I‘m convinced my throat never fully recovered.

Worst part is I only missed a week of school because once on antibiotics for X amount of days you’re no longer contagious, but symptoms didn’t go away for 3-4 months.

On the other hand having a 3rd world disease is a nice conversation piece.

Reactions: EightyOne

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Healthline is not an independent source. That is mainstream and tied to the pharmaceutical industry.
Do you disqualify the CDC as well? They strongly encourage flu shots. Like does, essentially, every accredited medical commentator on Planet Earth Prime. You've been reluctant to provide support for your theories and arguments against flu shots and your assertion of flu shot danger, I wonder why? Do you have "independent", peer-reviewed sources supporting your positions? Note: Jenny McCarthy does not count. And yes, I know, different vaccine, but same stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad