Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How good is Coldplay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It's ONLY been about 2.5 weeks since CA shelter in places began.

Legit getting super tired of this.

Imagine in September 2019 saying sports season will be delayed potentially cancelled due to a global pandemic with a deadly virus sweeping the globe and a possible global depression again.

Quite the prediction. I would tell them to lay off the crack.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fake Plastic Tree is my favourite song ever.

Not just musically. Huge emotional connection to that song.

Window music...

I know you miss them, too...
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I even threw in, Ross.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I actually am a huge Friends fan.

Same. Wife and I are so much into that era being of the same age as them and following the same path. Mariage, kids. We were like... what do we watch now in 2005? My first born was that year and being tied down to a newborn and nothing to watch but reruns. They had a whole new platform to run with (Chandler and Monica getting a house) and threw it away. We were way too invested. 10 years just flew.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Imagine in September 2019 saying sports season will be delayed potentially cancelled due to a global pandemic with a deadly virus sweeping the globe and a possible global depression again.

Quite the prediction. I would tell them to lay off the crack.

And that that global shutdown was the result of a pandemic that, as real numbers from reliable countries keep coming in, predominately affects only a small subset of a subset of the population.....higher ages and/or underlying conditions, making you question what the f*** is going on more and more.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know that people are kidding to a degree. But 60,000 worldwide, and 7,000 in the US have died already with estimates being around a quarter million deaths in the US alone. I also know that I am luckier than many who live paycheck to paycheck and may lose their job, or already have. That said, we have a choice. My grandparents siblings and parents didn't who died in the holocaust.

Sitting inside, emptying my freezer, and binging on Netflix and penguin game reruns on youtube for a few weeks or even a couple of months doesn't seem so bad compared with chancing becoming a statistic, or making someone else a statistic.

We actually have control in this crises. Simply don't be a dumbass and live to tell how terrible it was being bored for a while.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I know that people are kidding to a degree. But 60,000 worldwide, and 7,000 in the US have died already with estimates being around a quarter million deaths in the US alone. I also know that I am luckier than many who live paycheck to paycheck and may lose their job, or already have. That said, we have a choice. My grandparents siblings and parents didn't who died in the holocaust.

Sitting inside, emptying my freezer, and binging on Netflix and penguin game reruns on youtube for a few weeks or even a couple of months doesn't seem so bad compared with chancing becoming a statistic, or making someone else a statistic.

We actually have control in this crises. Simply don't be a dumbass and live to tell how terrible it was being bored for a while.

It isn't just a couple of months, though. When the country re-opens 95%+ still hasn't been infected. Meaning there could be a huge second wave. It's all right there in the Uwash numbers our government is using. Read the FAQ on the healthdata site.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
And that that global shutdown was the result of a pandemic that, as real numbers from reliable countries keep coming in, predominately affects only a small subset of a subset of the population.....higher ages and/or underlying conditions, making you question what the f*** is going on more and more.

No idea tbh, but don't wanna get all political here that's what the main Covid-19 forum is for. Main thing we should do is be kind and help 1 another as we literally ARE all in this together.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It isn't just a couple of months, though. When the country re-opens 95%+ still hasn't been infected. Meaning there could be a huge second wave. It's all right there in the Uwash numbers our government is using. Read the FAQ on the healthdata site.

However long it is, it is better than dead. Or killing someone else.

We have a choice as I said. Follow what those who have made studying pandemics their careers tell you to do. And be thankful for the choice many in other crises never had.

My father served in Vietnam. For a year and a day. I watched him go in the middle of the night in 1968 when I was six years old. He couldn't say, you know what, I am good. I will stay in and watch Netflix for a year with my family instead.

In many ways we are lucky because we have power over this and our lives.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No idea tbh, but don't wanna get all political here that's what the main Covid-19 forum is for. Main thing we should do is be kind and help 1 another as we literally ARE all in this together.
I'm trying to help you by being obnoxiously silly and distract you from your impending fate. Guess it's not working. :(

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
It is basic philosophy, do you hurt the many to save the few. Not even politics.

It is trending that, unless you are old or have some other issue (mostly heart, weight, respiratory--which, granted, a lot of Americans/people have), this is pretty much not the bugaboo we initially predicted.

I think the shutdown is going to be looked upon poorly by history...at this point. Note, I was a big proponent of doing whatever to stop this shit early on--based on early info. The widespread measures had to happen because the info base wasn't there yet. But isolating those most susceptible has to be seen as a better idea than isolating everyone.

It is a fluid and dynamic thing. Next couple of weeks will be very telling.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
But one would think there'll be some legitimate and viable treatment options by then. I don't see it as being this bad if a second wave occurs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
However long it is, it is better than dead. Or killing someone else.

We have a choice as I said. Follow what those who have made studying pandemics their careers tell you to do. And be thankful for the choice many in other crises never had.

My father served in Vietnam. For a year and a day. I watched him go in the middle of the night in 1968 when I was six years old. He couldn't say, you know what, I am good. I will stay in and watch Netflix for a year with my family instead.

In many ways we are lucky because we have power over this and our lives.

I am priveleged to have savings - though the market crash has cut into those substantially - should I or my partner lose our jobs. Nearly half of this country has no such luxury and they are gonna need the government to keep those $600 weekly checks flowing way more than they'll need Netflix.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am priveleged to have savings - though the market crash has cut into those substantially - should I or my partner lose our jobs. Nearly half of this country has no such luxury and they are gonna need the government to keep those $600 weekly checks flowing way more than they'll need Netflix.

I said as much and feel for those suffering and fearful. The government and charities need to step up, and to a degree they are. Beyond the check coming mortgages are being delayed and other laws are being passed and executive orders written. As they should be. And more needs to be done, and I am sure will be.

Those we elected need to step up. And we need to step up in return.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
But one would think there'll be some legitimate and viable treatment options by then. I don't see it as being this bad if a second wave occurs.

I wish we'd spell out what the post-first wave plan is. Thus far no one really has. There's riots and unrest in Southern Italy right now as Italy's just getting to the downside of their initial death curve. It's ugly.

I want to think the first wave'll be over when this stuff happens in the next month or so:
  1. Deaths per day have dropped off substantially
  2. We have more ICU and ventilator capacity
  3. We have more mask capacity
  4. (Hopefully)Some promising alt-medicine like the Malaria drugs breaks through as being less resource-intensive than hooking people onto ventilators for a week with similar efficacy.
But then I do think there's going to be a new, interim normal where we try to keep the R0 between 1-1.5 down from its initial 2.5 without treatment. By necessity I understand this to mean we're going to have to reduce transmission by 50% of what it was before. This will mean:
  1. Some of this test/trace/isolate stuff though I'm under no idealism (grand delusion?) that the US can execute this kinda stuff the way that South Korea could.
  2. Ban on mass gatherings is inevitable. You aren't going to Pens games in person next year. You ain't going to the symphony either. Or the Coldplay concert :sarcasm:.
  3. Significantly reduced air travel
  4. Masks and gloves encouraged in public everywhere
  5. Strict occupancy limits in restaurants and bars. Something like sqft/50. Which is going to keep killing restaurants and bars.
  6. Social shaming for visiting the elderly in-person.
  7. Companies that can WFH are going to be strongly encouraged or just outright mandated to keep doing so.
  8. Social distancing guidelines in place though maybe if everyone's wearing a mask the grocery store can stop being a game of minesweeper.
I think the above is part of our interim normal for the rest of 2020 and 2021 until a vaccine shows up, herd immunity develops, or we just decide that we're tired of dealing with it and just let it rip.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I want to think the first wave'll be over when this stuff happens in the next month or so:
  1. Deaths per day have dropped off substantially
  2. We have more ICU and ventilator capacity
  3. We have more mask capacity
  4. (Hopefully)Some promising alt-medicine like the Malaria drugs breaks through as being less resource-intensive than hooking people onto ventilators for a week with similar efficacy.
Yes, but Deaths are a meaningless statistic without age or health qualifiers. (yes, each death is someone's loved one or friend, yadda yadda, I GET THAT).

ICU and ventilator needs seem to be directly related to that missing statistical qualifer too: age and underlying conditions is how people are ending up in ICU.

Mask capacity would be nice, just in general.

Alt meds or anything would be very welcome.

I think the above is part of our interim normal for the rest of 2020 and 2021 until a vaccine shows up, herd immunity develops, or we just decide that we're tired of dealing with it and just let it rip.

This. I say put these guidelines out for those with a list of underlying conditions or age, and let the rest of the world continue on. Self isolate yourself from restaurants if you are at risk, etc.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It is basic philosophy, do you hurt the many to save the few. Not even politics.

It is trending that, unless you are old or have some other issue (mostly heart, weight, respiratory--which, granted, a lot of Americans/people have), this is pretty much not the bugaboo we initially predicted.

I think the shutdown is going to be looked upon poorly by history...at this point. Note, I was a big proponent of doing whatever to stop this shit early on--based on early info. The widespread measures had to happen because the info base wasn't there yet. But isolating those most susceptible has to be seen as a better idea than isolating everyone.

It is a fluid and dynamic thing. Next couple of weeks will be very telling.

So, not that there's not potentially merit in the point you're trying to make, but we don't have the data we need to make the determination that it would be less destructive to everyone to power through this thing, instead of treating it like the Birdbox disease. I'm persuadable on this point, but not now, not yet, even if my gut is telling me this thing's way less lethal than its been sold as and is on the precipice of being made less lethal still via treatments that weren't tried during the initial run of deaths in Italy.

Reactions: EightyOne

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yes, but Deaths are a meaningless statistic without age or health qualifiers. (yes, each death is someone's loved one or friend, yadda yadda, I GET THAT).

ICU and ventilator needs seem to be directly related to that missing statistical qualifer too: age and underlying conditions is how people are ending up in ICU.

Mask capacity would be nice, just in general.

Alt meds or anything would be very welcome.

This. I say put these guidelines out for those with a list of underlying conditions or age, and let the rest of the world continue on. Self isolate yourself from restaurants if you are at risk, etc.

Man, you really changed from a couple weeks ago on this. Not that I blame you. These measures are unprecedented in this country in recent times and policymakers should understand that our collective patience isn't unlimited. I mean we are hurtling towards 30-40 million people unemployed. 10m new in the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: EightyOne

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Companies that can WFH are going to be strongly encouraged or just outright mandated to keep doing so.

There wouldn't need to be a mandate. Consulting business analytic firms are getting a one-in-a-million look at the effect of working from home on productivity in a thousand different professions all at once in sample sizes that will greatly reduce error ratio. Deloitte (or whoever) are going to be able to use that to build increased models for financial efficiency and risk mitigation, provide that to their clients, then it's going to be copycat city. Those models are going to encourage a lot of people in certain functions to be classified as telecommuters.

I once worked on a (somewhat basic) project evaluating the impact of WFH on productivity and our preliminary conclusion (which we never did anything with, due to a merger) was that while productivity dropped (on average...for the occasional person, the drop was extreme...for call center workers, productivity actually ticked up a little, possibly due to free-er access to food/drink), we could more than offset that by leaving those people at home, consolidating office employees into other wings and subletting a floor of the building the company was renting to somebody else. The consulting firms will have way better data to work with and I'm sure they could come up with much more sophisticated ideas to save money than what we did.

To just give one example, the "talk to your General Practitioner via Facetime or Skype" thing is probably going to be the norm going forward for anything not requiring a physical, tactile component to the evaluation. GP's are going to schedule 2 office days a week and just see clients by teleconference from their home office on the other days. That should enable them to see a decent amount more people per week, so they'll just do it, not needing to be mandated by anyone.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad