OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I really don't understand people being incredulous like "What am I supposed to put my whole life on hold?"

Literally the difference between millions and millions more deaths and infected people than necessary can be avoided with just some smart social distancing. Is it really asking too much of you to reschedule that bar crawl or night out if it means saving millions of lives?

People kind of have their head in the sand with this. You don't need to panic and go buy 10 cases of TP but you should also be smart about this. It's kind of an unprecedented situation and I know people in general have a hard time grasping how serious things are when they're just statistics and not directly impacting them or when their actions now could lead to consequence down the road (like saving for retirement) but man, I really thought the NBA and NHL being postponed and cancelled for now would've made people understand how serious this is.

Do they really think these billion dollar leagues are closing for something that's "not that serious" or whatever? Just because it's not the plague doesn't mean it's not serious.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I really don't understand people being incredulous like "What am I supposed to put my whole life on hold?"

Literally the difference between millions and millions more deaths and infected people than necessary can be avoided with just some smart social distancing. Is it really asking too much of you to reschedule that bar crawl or night out if it means saving millions of lives?

People kind of have their head in the sand with this. You don't need to panic and go buy 10 cases of TP but you should also be smart about this. It's kind of an unprecedented situation and I know people in general have a hard time grasping how serious things are when they're just statistics and not directly impacting them or when their actions now could lead to consequence down the road (like saving for retirement) but man, I really thought the NBA and NHL being postponed and cancelled for now would've made people understand how serious this is.

Do they really think these billion dollar leagues are closing for something that's "not that serious" or whatever? Just because it's not the plague doesn't mean it's not serious.

So I'm struggling with whether it's irresponsible to go for a walk in a mostly desolate street or even going to a small restaurant if that's ok. Now, bar crawls and the like are selfish obviously.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

Symptom of the insane partisanship that's pervasive right now. Ironically both of my supervisors at work are in the moderate to high risk age group (60+) but are dismissive of the entire thing because Trump keeps insinuating that there's nothing to worry about. You can literally correlate a person's response to this epidemic based on their political leanings.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Symptom of the insane partisanship that's pervasive right now. Ironically both of my supervisors at work are in the moderate to high risk age group (60+) but are dismissive of the entire thing because Trump keeps insinuating that there's nothing to worry about. You can literally correlate a person's response to this epidemic based on their political leanings.
Really don't know what to say. Other than don't take the media's word. Follow what WHO and other global or non-US health organizations say. Don't even have to take CDC's word.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
So I'm struggling with whether it's irresponsible to go for a walk in a mostly desolate street or even going to a small restaurant if that's ok. Now, bar crawls and the like are selfish obviously.
Yeah, I think going for a walk on a desolate street is fine. Even going to a park and stuff is mostly fine because it's easy to keep your distance there. A small uncrowded restaurant is probably fine right now but who knows. I think people just need to be smart. It sounds like you're being very mindful and aware and that's most of the battle right there.

Yeah I see people all over FB talking about it from the political spectrum. This is when Trump's careless dismissive nature of ALL media is dangerous and also the mainstream media themselves who blow things out of proportion all the time. It's created a real boy who cried wolf atmosphere where now something serious is going down and people just think it's more bloviating.

My wife works in a hospital and had to do an exam on a confirmed COVID-19 patient on Friday. She was in full protective gear and it was a negative pressure room and stuff but still you never know. She made a FB post talking about it and her experience and how healthcare workers are at the forefront and people need to take it seriously because she's seeing it face to face. So a bunch of people share it and some people we don't even know see it and are like "Oh making it all about you? It's not a big deal!" Well yes, she made a post about her experience as a healthcare worker face to face with it so of course it's about her, but this is someone who is in the hospital and around this and working to keep people safe and some douchebag who has his head in the sand is just dismissing her account. People really need to get serious about it. Don't need to freak out but they need to be careful and give it appropriate serious attitude.

What's the worst case scenario about taking it too seriously? It would be AWESOME if we look back in a month and say oh we really overreacted because that would mean our being careful did its job and it didn't get worse, I fear that's not the road we're heading down though. Too many people seem like they're just ignoring it which is not good. We need to be smart here.

Last edited:

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
My SO is a head RN and administrative coordinator at a large suburban hospital near Montreal. I know what they're doing to protect against it, and it's a lot better than what I'm reading in the US (her hospital alone literally tests more people daily than some entire states atm, and they've put everything on lock down, no visitors etc) but it still just feels like it's more a matter of when and not if for us. And I'm OK with that. I'd prefer now than later tbh. I'm also working from home, though she obviously cannot, and not visiting my mother who has enough medical issues as is and is getting up there in age. When I have gone out, prior to recent news*, I simply didn't touch my face or anyone else until I got back to the car and used a Purell type cleaner (it's the hospital one, more liquid and foamy, whatever it is) thoroughly. That's really all I can do. We're not panicked or hoarding or anything. We're always pretty well stocked on things since we buy a lot in bulk at Costco generally with her parents and we haven't changed anything.

Only thing I don't have a decent stock of is booze so I figure I'll just do a booze-free month or more! Not a bad thing to do even with moderate drinking.

*News being that I spent a few hours at a friend's place and he had just returned from a conference in Toronto where he spent the majority of two days with several co-workers from there, one of which was confirmed as a case. It's been a week since I saw him, and it's been 10 days since he was in contact with that person. Zero symptoms for either of us but we're both staying home permanently since we found out and we've enacted quarantine measures here at home so my partner doesn't get it. Basically I'm pretty much in a room all day with one of our cats watching TV, reading, and gaming. It's not too bad. Reminds me of being 16!

But yeah, that's the main message. Ain't about how YOU are feeling, it's about recognizing how dangerous you can be to the more vulnerable and acting with that in mind.

I will say this self-quarantine (and in-home quarantine) is way worse without hockey right now. Surely I can't be the only one who immediately thought "F, there goes our year of having a 100pt player!" =)

Be safe out there people. Take it seriously, if not for you than at least for others. Oh, and stop hoarding... just get a bidet! =P

edit: I've reorganized the F out of my closet and all my drawers though.

edit part deux: I don't wanna get too involved in the political aspect of it, but reading the posts above mine... yeah. I'm pretty annoyed at how poorly it's been handled South of us because it will definitely affect us directly soon. I really do wish they'd close the border completely, it's just a huge undertaking and our govt. is a bit weak on pissing off man-baby right now since he's unreasonable about everything. And my dad as well as many good friends are in NY, NJ and PA so I worry for them, too. Offered up the mini-basement apartment with bedroom, living room and full bath, but no one took it. All I can do is hope things get better quick. But even then, it's too little too late and we'll feel it directly. I'd still rather be here in Montreal but my hometown NYC is gonna end up screwing us. Sigh.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think my stance on what our reaction to this should be is clear from my post history, but you’ll probably be surprised to learn that I think going outside is a good thing. Fresh air and sunlight are good. Just don’t get coughed on.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Boy oh boy did I pick a bad time to need emergency dental work. Ah well, at least I have copious amounts of alcohol and vidya at home to satisfy me

Reactions: Krams

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
This dude is in part the cause of the panic, people worry that a lot of people are like him and therefore are very negative so people take this seriously.

BTW, I've been having some slight health issues today. Sore eyes, headache, feeling stuffy. Could be anything of course, but damn. I just don't want to transmit it. I don't care about myself.
Sounds mostly like seasonal allergies....welcome to the club .

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Boy oh boy did I pick a bad time to need emergency dental work. Ah well, at least I have copious amounts of alcohol and vidya at home to satisfy me

EnviousCharmingJackrabbit-size_restricted.gif

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
Sounds mostly like seasonal allergies....welcome to the club .
amazingly, im starting to get very worried about the allergy season. not because its usually a pain in the arse for a few weeks, but because theres going to be a large part of of the population, especially in the northeast, thats going to think they have something other than allergies. any hope i had for season flu season to start ending is going to be offset by allergies now.

Reactions: leetch99

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Things are probably easier for me---being retired and living in a small upstate city. I don't go to bars very often anymore and eating out has always been kind of an occasional thing. It's a pretty laid back life and I'm way up a hill and kind of in the sticks as well. Mainly my idea is go to the grocery store when you need shit and I'm alright with that.

There's shit that needs to be done and it's going to be inconvenient and more inconvenient for some than for others but there are responsibilities that we have and if not just for ourselves we have responsibilities to others too.

From my point of view though it's the POTUS in Washington DC who is in denial about this.....for instance when he's convincing Dana White at UFC to go on with his events. Schools are closing down at every level, corporations are having their employees working out of their homes, the NBA, NHL and NCAA have shut down right before their playoffs, State governments around the country are taking real action but there's no coordination on any of this coming out of the White House or Federal govt. which is making this more difficult than it needs to be and frankly some people are going to die because of the federal government's resistance to the reality of this as it happens. The White House response so far is way too weak and this shouldn't be a political thing but it's pretty much become about the November election.

IMO this kind of thing is a really good argument for M4A. When you have the most expensive health care system in the western world combined with millions of uninsured and underinsured who can't afford to go to a doctor or a hospital you've got a problem.

However horrific this is is for some people if this is still a thing at election time Mr. Trump also might possibly have a legit national emergency reason for suspending November's upcoming election thus lengthening his own term. The question is whether this dies off over the warmer months and/or how quickly we can get up to speed on testing and developing a vaccine.

If there is a Stanley Cup playoffs at all--and I'm thinking there won't be it will be played out in empty arenas. I really think this season is over though and I'm not sure that next season won't be shortened with some chance of it being cancelled as well.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Haven't seen this aspect discussed yet:

I highly recommend calling both your health insurance provider and your primary care physician and asking what the patient responsibility for coronavirus testing would be. You also want to confirm with your primary care physician whether they could take you in or if you would need to go to an emergency room. It's good to get this information now rather than try to figure out it while you're feeling unwell.

Last edited:

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Ive been telling all my friends and family for a week now to social distance themselves.
Its finally starting to catch on
Stay home as much as possible
Yes u can go for a walk
But stay away from restaurants, cafes, bars, malls, etc
Only go to grocery store if necessary
If most don't practice social distancing we will be forced to shut everything down like China, Italy and now Spain
My wife is high risk so I get pissed when some people wont take this seriously...

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
My mother is 60 and has respiratory issues. This virus could easily threaten her life. How can you sit there and say it wont kill you? You can infect an elderly person and essentially kill them...

Yeah. I am 58. With a chronic case of contracted fibrosis on my left lung. Coronary artery disease Involving atherosclerosis. Cardiovascular disease that led to 2 heart attacks in 2016. The origin of these fallacies are likely both accidental, hereditary and lifestyle related (climbing that corporate ladder to the top has its price). The media hype to the corona outbreak is both evident and unnerving. But something is real to all this. Yet some of these comments here are so profoundly clueless, egocentric and immature it makes me want to strangle puppies... just saying

This virus will affect you, me and others who are the most vulnerable. The joking and memes are in really bad taste,.. yet it is my posts with valuable info on how to protect ourselves, that gets taken down. Go figure.

There is more bad news.... Japan just had their first case of reinfection. China has had over a 100, but not all that reliable, due to the way they handled this outbreak from the get go. The patients might not have been completely over the virus when released. But one case in China whether reliable or not is very disturbing. One man in his 30's died, 5 days after being reinfected. That's only one in a 100,... but still alarming that reinfection could also be dangerous.
They recovered from the coronavirus. Then they tested positive again. Why?

People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

If true reinfection can occur, cause it is still not conclusive, and really out of the ordinary,... then what benefit would a vaccine have?

There is still a lot to learn about this virus. And our government's response has been awfully slow. There should major studies going on, and we are only in the talking about doing it phase. Fortunately other countries are pressing ahead, but we have the best of the best in the scientific community.

If it turns out that we can get reinfected, then we should take steps to insure our bodies can handle it effectively regardless of age.
The Importance Of Nutrients To An Aging Population And Beat Back Corona Or Any Virus

If anyone has contracted this virus, please tell us how you feel?

Last edited:

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
This virus will affect you, me and others who are the most vulnerable. The joking and memes are in really bad taste,.. yet it is my posts with valuable info on how to protect ourselves, that gets taken down. Go figure.

There is more bad news.... Japan just had their first case of reinfection. China has had over a 100, but not all that reliable, due to the way they handled this outbreak from the get go. The patients might not have been completely over the virus when released. But one case in China whether reliable or not is very disturbing. One man in his 30's died, 5 days after being reinfected. That's only one in a 100,... but still alarming that reinfection could also be dangerous.
They recovered from the coronavirus. Then they tested positive again. Why?

People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

If true reinfection can occur, cause it is still not conclusive, and really out of the ordinary,... then what benefit would a vaccine have?

There is still a lot to learn about this virus. And our government's response has been awfully slow. There should major studies going on, and we are only in the talking about doing it phase. Fortunately other countries are pressing ahead, but we have the best of the best in the scientific community.

If it turns out that we can get reinfected, then we should take steps to insure our bodies can handle it effectively regardless of age.
The Importance Of Nutrients To An Aging Population And Beat Back Corona Or Any Virus

If anyone has contracted this virus, please tell us how you feel?

You are actually posting links to your own articles?

Stop peddling your snake oil.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
What does it mean?
The OP's posted response that mocked a question about whether anyone here has been personally affected by the virus.

Since his post, people have posted either having tested positive or knowing someone who has. So his post didn't age well.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Really don't know what to say. Other than don't take the media's word. Follow what WHO and other global or non-US health organizations say. Don't even have to take CDC's word.

Despite the overwhelming evidence and precautions, so many still live through the media. Wag the Dog was such a great movie.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The weird thing about disasters and pandemics like this is that any preparation before the big wave hits will be seen as overreaction. Any response after the wave hits without preparation will be seen as inadequate or not enough. This is pretty much always the case.

Stuff like self-quarantining, practicing social distancing, shutting down all sporting events and other big gatherings is the right thing to do.

Countries like Taiwan, South Korea, etc. that got further ahead of the curve in this than countries like Italty/USA/etc. have been experiencing decreases in new cases every passing day and are hitting the top of the infection curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad