OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Me as well, I suppose facts are facts. Originally thought quite the overreaction, and living in Florida where we deal with hurricanes seasonally........reminded me of such. Difference is the PANIC isnt/wasnt quite the same. THIS, is picking up steam, whereas Hurricanes are more immediate panic.

Media has everything to do with the state of PANIC, but I suppose awareness is essential......and that IS the job of being associated with the NEWS teams, reporters.....everyone involved.

Used to be you just got the "info" from the TV, but now......need I say more? I preface with I know lives are in danger, but.......

My question is.......what in the heck am I supposed to do with my life now? With.....

NO Sports whatsoever? No Rangers, (OMG) No Metsies, just as bad (immediate)
No Jets (future).......well, that might be such a bad thing. Help Me, Help us all!
It's good to have a diversified portfolio of hobbies and interests.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I would suggest searching for the program On Assignment with Richard Engel. I watched most of it last night. It interviews scientists and medical professionals around the globe, including our own Dr. Fauci. It doesn't hype anything. It is very matter of fact.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
This is such a damned if you do/don’t situation. Either we’ll learn nothing or pay a heavy price.

If we all limit social garners, wash our hands, etc and it winds up being “nothing,” people will go right back to their ways, not realizing that taking the right steps is what curbed the spread of the virus.

If this does have the impact that a lot of experts like Michael Osterhelm and Anthony Fauci says it’s going to have, it could be incredibly tragic, and I don’t know how I’ll be able to look at some of my fellow countrymen the same again.

I’m extremely concerned that we haven’t really had any serious widespread testing until the last day or 2. Couple that with the amount of obesity in the country and this could very well be a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm going to take precautions but will be staying away from doctors giving doomsday scenarios. It won't be helpful, for me at least.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And not learning the lesson but this turning out less dire than expected is much preferable. I'll take my chances with that. We've literally never seen anything like this ever before in modern times.

Reactions: haveandare

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
there's a contingency plan for an MTA shutdown. friend of mine sent me the paper.

so if you didn't think they were thinking about it, they might be thinking about it

Reactions: will1066

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
BTW, people thinking this is overblown hysteria by the media is not entirely on the people. You can only cry wolf so many times before you lose all credibility.

It is overblown by the media as are most things. Fear and bad news sells. Market is up 1000 points you hear nothing. Market is down 1000 points the world is ending. This is not even debatable. People see the actual numbers by the WHO and say it's no big deal. They get frustrated and its not that they are being irresponsible. I'm not talking about the pub crawlers who are irresponsible. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck and need to go to work. Schools are closed for 2 weeks which means that many households where there are 2 wage owners and they will need to get somebody to watch the kids which, guess what, costs money, or one of them has to stay home for at least 2 weeks which, guess what, costs money. I myself have to go to work tomorrow and that means I have to get gas in the car and I have to drive to my office and work and sometimes that means meeting with people. I also have to go to the grocery store today to pick up food. Is that ok with you guys? Many of you need to get off your high horse and pulpits and stop preaching. There are a large majority of people who realize this is serious but still have lives to lead. Many people just can't stay inside for 2 weeks. It's a tough situation for all involved and most people I know, including myself, are handling things the best they can.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It is overblown by the media as are most things. Fear and bad news sells. Market is up 1000 points you hear nothing. Market is down 1000 points the world is ending. This is not even debatable. People see the actual numbers by the WHO and say it's no big deal. They get frustrated and its not that they are being irresponsible. I'm not talking about the pub crawlers who are irresponsible. Many people are living paycheck to paycheck and need to go to work. Schools are closed for 2 weeks which means that many households where there are 2 wage owners and they will need to get somebody to watch the kids which, guess what, costs money, or one of them has to stay home for at least 2 weeks which, guess what, costs money. I myself have to go to work tomorrow and that means I have to get gas in the car and I have to drive to my office and work and sometimes that means meeting with people. I also have to go to the grocery store today to pick up food. Is that ok with you guys? Many of you need to get off your high horse and pulpits and stop preaching. There are a large majority of people who realize this is serious but still have lives to lead. Many people just can't stay inside for 2 weeks. It's a tough situation for all involved and most people I know, including myself, are handling things the best they can.

I know a couple of people that said you have to stay home from work and bank on your savings. THOSE people are ridiculous. Many people have a family to support and are living paycheck to paycheck. Cutting down on some of the luxuries in life is not unreasonable though. Expecting that is not being holier than thou.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
there's a contingency plan for an MTA shutdown. friend of mine sent me the paper.

so if you didn't think they were thinking about it, they might be thinking about it

are you saying the planes and trains or would that include highways? B/c i would image the traffic jams wouldn’t allow anybody to go anywhere.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Another thing that sucks is it’s one thing to not be able to watch hockey but the rinks here in Boston have mostly all shut down so those of us that still play can’t even do that.

Long walks with the wife is about all I’m doing right now

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

There’s a contingency plan for everything man. You can find some freaky stuff if you see all the potentials and what the plans to handle it are. Hopefully it’s all unnecessary in the end.

Reactions: FultonReed

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I know a couple of people that said you have to stay home from work and bank on your savings. THOSE people are ridiculous. Many people have a family to support and living paycheck to paycheck. Cutting down on some of the luxuries in life is not unreasonable though. Expecting that is not being holier than thou.

I said nothing about cutting back on the luxuries in life which I totally agree with. I was talking about things that are necessary. That's why I said that people need to stop preaching. Many people in the real world live need to go to work to pay bills and put food on the table.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

literally everything you said you had to do would be deemed essential and therefore have nothing to do with social distancing.

everyone has to go shopping everyone has to go to work if they can’t work from home. You do not have to go to bars or sporting events. No one expects the virus to disappear because every single person is locked up 24/7. However limiting interactions and being smart will slow it and in turn slow the strain on the healthcare system.

It doesn’t always have to be a Us vs them thing.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
are you saying the planes and trains or would that include highways? B/c i would image the traffic jams wouldn’t allow anybody to go anywhere.
Probably quarantine related. Like if they start to limit inter-city interstate travel etc. as had happened in other countries.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
literally everything you said you had to do would be deemed essential and therefore have nothing to do with social distancing.

everyone has to go shopping everyone has to go to work if they can’t work from home. You do not have to go to bars or sporting events. No one expects the virus to disappear because every single person is locked up 24/7. However limiting interactions and being smart will slow it and in turn slow the strain on the healthcare system.

Right, nobody thinks you can drop infections to zero overnight, this is all about "flattening the curve". The more people chip in the flatter the curve until it starts to drop. Really we're buying time until we get a mass vaccine going

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bought something on Amazon and it turns out it’s being shipped from somewhere in China. What are the chances it actually gets to me and if it does should I be worried about anything?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Have you read some of the posts here? A lot of preaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad