OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The virus doesn't care about our skin tone or what political party (or who) we vote for. Doesn't care if we're religious or not or what we think about second amendment rights or climate change or other political issues or what state we live in or country we come from. It stays alive by going from person to person---we (if we allow it) are simply part of its pathway that allows it to continue growing if we put ourselves in its path. The idea of curbing social activity--of social distancing---of wearing a mask in public is to take oneself off the path and by limiting its spread eventually kill it and it's worked here in the northeast--it's worked in various countries around the world.
We pretty much rolled out the red carpet for SARS-Cov-2 in the years prior by creating a highly divisive and politicized environment in the country. We are unable to solve pretty much any nationally important issue in a bipartisan way and now that includes COVID-19.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We pretty much rolled out the red carpet for SARS-Cov-2 in the years prior by creating a highly divisive and politicized environment in the country. We are unable to solve pretty much any nationally important issue in a bipartisan way and now that includes COVID-19.

A lot of people were very excited in 2008 in different ways with the financial meltdown and the election of an African American POTUS. There were seeds before that but it seems to me a big split happened over those two events. When the political and/or economic becomes dysfunctional---society becomes dysfunctional too. There is a real disconnect in any case as far as who politicians really work for and the same with economics when a very select few own pretty much own more than half the real wealth. I'm not sure how we solve all this but we do need a more sharing and shared society.

FWIW maybe a silver lining out of this virus is I think it has brought a lot of people more together in New York State--which doesn't mean people don't still have opposite views on things but I do think a lot more people are concerned more in a good way about people around them.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My dad works in a small office with two people that couldn't help themselves but go to Florida. I wish they could somehow stay there. f***ing idiots. One of them is my uncle too.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Looks like another 9,494 new cases in Florida today. Over 18,000 new cases in the last two days. This is not going to be sustainable for a hospital system I'm afraid. If you're living in Florida and don't have it and have an option of going elsewhere it's probably a good idea. There are lots more walking around with this that are going to be the new cases tomorrow and the day after. Florida I'm afraid is at the bottom of a mountain that has to be climbed and Governor DeSantis is going to have to take some drastic measures and I'm not sure he's up to the job.

Def terrible, but what is the hospitalization rate?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Def terrible, but what is the hospitalization rate?

I was looking at this article:

New cases, hospitalizations, deaths: Florida COVID-19 numbers

The writer points out the confusing unreliability of stats by the state govt., health department and local county govt.'s--but to me it still paints a very dire picture. The huge number of cases from June 5 and on is pretty stark as one's day record is shattered by the next. This isn't a brush fire situation--it's out of control IMO. We also know that death counts lag sometimes two/three/four weeks behind cases and that overwhelmed hospitals will be forced to make decisions on who lives and who doesn't. The average age here is younger but there will be older people and those with underlying conditions mixed in.

On how much capacity Florida's hospital system has I'm not sure but you can't continue to have 9000 new cases + days and expect those hospitals not to fill up.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Florida adds 8,530 today. California's been adding 5,000 to 6,000 a day--same in Texas. Arizona is between 3,000 and 4,000 lately with a much smaller population. California, Texas and Florida are our most populous states. As a country (other than in the Northeast) we're not making progress against the virus. If anything we're going backwards.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Florida adds 8,530 today. California's been adding 5,000 to 6,000 a day--same in Texas. Arizona is between 3,000 and 4,000 lately with a much smaller population. California, Texas and Florida are our most populous states. As a country (other than in the Northeast) we're not making progress against the virus. If anything we're going backwards.

not really surprising though between people refusing to wear masks and every states apparent rush to re-open as quickly as possible. the lockdown was supposed to slow things down and buy us time, but nothing was done. there still isn't enough testing or anything else so the rushing to re-open is essentially as if we never had a lockdown in the first place. we just delayed it a few months banking on the hopes that the heat would kill it.

fortunately you are starting to see places slow down and rollback the re-opening, that will hopefully help slow things down but its still not a long term strategy

Reactions: eco's bones

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This blog by an immunologist was a really handy read:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

It echoes a lot of the sentiments that have been hopping around. That is, the virus is containable but there's a few really bad activities that are time bombs: indoor large gatherings, church, bars, meat plants, and anywhere where people are singing. In municipalities where the virus is contained, new flare-ups are being traced almost exclusively to these places.

Talking (and/or singing -- singing is worse) is the biggest culprit of respiratory spread. Interestingly, despite the fear over elevators, there hasn't been any evidence at all that they're a conduit. That's because you mostly mind your own business on the elevator. Rather, outbreaks at work are being traced back to floors (i.e. the 11th floor of Joe Schmo and Associates) where people socialize and talk to each other.

Bars are major issue. I mean, the world won't end if kids miss a year of school, and I'm sorry to say if you're religious, but honestly, you're not going to die if you put off church. Bars are largely personal businesses that can't afford a year on the shelf. At the same time, they're absolute petri dishes, so I'm not sure what should be done about them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Bars are major issue. I mean, the world won't end if kids miss a year of school, and I'm sorry to say if you're religious, but honestly, you're not going to die if you put off church. Bars are largely personal businesses that can't afford a year on the shelf. At the same time, they're absolute petri dishes, so I'm not sure what should be done about them.

I mean... it is the 20s. They had the solution exactly 100 years ago.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

It echoes a lot of the sentiments that have been hopping around. That is, the virus is containable but there's a few really bad activities that are time bombs: indoor large gatherings, church, bars, meat plants, and anywhere where people are singing. In municipalities where the virus is contained, new flare-ups are being traced almost exclusively to these places.

Talking (and/or singing -- singing is worse) is the biggest culprit of respiratory spread. Interestingly, despite the fear over elevators, there hasn't been any evidence at all that they're a conduit. That's because you mostly mind your own business on the elevator. Rather, outbreaks at work are being traced back to floors (i.e. the 11th floor of Joe Schmo and Associates) where people socialize and talk to each other.

I don't have any horse in the race but keeping kids home for an entire school year how will parents who can't work from home manage? Could it somehow be set up to be optional to keep your kids home/home school or send them to school? Allowing for reduced capacity.
I guess no church choir participation for me anymore...j/k. But I truly feel bad for the older population. Some of them rely on places like church to have a feeling of belonging, reducing loneliness, even increasing physical activity (mind and body) and not just a place to practice their faith. I guess live streaming could help but I don't know.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't have any horse in the race but keeping kids home for an entire school year how will parents who can't work from home manage? Could it somehow be set up to be optional to keep your kids home/home school or send them to school? Allowing for reduced capacity.
I guess no church choir participation for me anymore...j/k. But I truly feel bad for the older population. Some of them rely on places like church to have a feeling of belonging, reducing loneliness, even increasing physical activity (mind and body) and not just a place to practice their faith. I guess live streaming could help but I don't know.
I'm definitely all for some kind of replacement for school seeing as parents have to go back to work, I just think the traditional school setting of shouting at each other for 7 hours isn't going to work.

Same goes for church. There's no problem with going there, but it's going to have to be without singing our shouting "amen!"

With bars, there's not much of an alternative. You literally go there to drink and talk.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
School definitely needs to be sorted out.

Yes, I get the "people need to go back to work for the economy" thing.

But that doesn't work unless school/etc. gets worked out first

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

In other news mime is making a comeback.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
74345984_356211498680292_4835045322067965181_n.png

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Our church has moved completely online for the time being. Others that aren't capable of that have moved outdoors. Where there is a will, there is a way. :dunno:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My hockey league started last week. Ive been sitting out.

Within 1 week multiple teams have been exposed... And a player is on a ventilator in the ICU.

In 1 week.
I'm liking this post not because I actually like what you're saying, but because this is exactly the type of shit that people need to understand will happen.

I hope that guy ends up okay.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

geez, sry to learn that. Due to lockeroom? Do you think it was from playing on ice?

Son is about to restart Lax yet we’re up north. Not sure what to think about fball come August.

Hope you teammate will be ok.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our church has moved completely online for the time being. Others that aren't capable of that have moved outdoors. Where there is a will, there is a way. :dunno:
Absolutely. Whatever it takes to not get sick and still live your life because, yes, you need to.

We got the Premier League back (and won the f***ing title, what's up!) and some people lamented that it's not the same. And I'm like bro, that's better than not playing

I think people need to understand what the choices actually are. I'm not a fan of shutdowns at all but when the iced tricks start showing up to hold the corpses, the flight instinct is going to kick in. I don't care what your politics are.

The US is worse off partially because we've made this a political argument when it isn't. I've become so frustrated with the "it's just a cold" versus "don't even breathe or grandma will die" discourse when neither is true.

The thing is, the virus doesn't really care. We can be smart and minimize damage while living at 75, 80% or we get steamrolled and end up with hard restrictions anyway because we got steamrolled.

"Just f*** it" is not one of the options. Turning off planet Earth until it goes away is also not one of the options.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Absolutely. Whatever it takes to not get sick and still live your life because, yes, you need to.

We got the Premier League back (and won the f***ing title, what's up!) and some people lamented that it's not the same. And I'm like bro, that's better than not playing

I think people need to understand what the choices actually are. I'm not a fan of shutdowns at all but when the iced tricks start showing up to hold the corpses, the flight instinct is going to kick in. I don't care what your politics are.

The US is worse off partially because we've made this a political argument when it isn't. I've become so frustrated with the "it's just a cold" versus "don't even breathe or grandma will die" discourse when neither is true.

The thing is, the virus doesn't really care. We can be smart and minimize damage while living at 75, 80% or we get steamrolled and end up with hard restrictions anyway because we got steamrolled.

"Just f*** it" is not one of the options. Turning off planet Earth until it goes away is also not one of the options.

Not going to get too deeply into this but no one politicized this more than healthcare workers that put out a statement basically green lighting breaking every possible protocol because it fit with their politics. I'll leave that there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad