OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not going to get too deeply into this but no one politicized this more than healthcare workers that put out a statement basically green lighting breaking every possible protocol because it fit with their politics. I'll leave that there.
Many healthcare workers said the protests were a risk and I take issue with the notion that they green-lighted them.

The protests also started a month ago and nothing has happened. Not a single outbreak has been linked to them. Meanwhile, people can't even look at a church without getting sick.

People can not like that all they want, but these are the facts.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Many healthcare workers said the protests were a risk and I take issue with the notion that they green-lighted them.

The protests also started a month ago and nothing has happened. Not a single outbreak has been linked to them. Meanwhile, people can't even look at a church without getting sick.

People can not like that all they want, but these are the facts.

Ok, but they criticized other outside mass gatherings. Hell, they did so in the same statements that they gave their blessing in for the gatherings that shall not be named.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Ok, but they criticized other outside mass gatherings. Hell, they did so in the same statements that they gave their blessing in for the gatherings that shall not be named.

I think anytime most people read “these gatherings are ok” then “these gatherings are bad...” ... and oh, by the way, the “ok” ones just happen to align with my political viewpoints - it’s a huge eye roll. It also makes you question the intentions of the speaker/writer. You can gather or you can’t. Maybe outside is ok, and maybe it’s not. We should have a “standard” recommendation or system in place that expects the same from everyone. Let’s work through this virus, save as many as possible, get the country up and running again, then we’ll have plenty of time for politics and what not.

- Not a political post - just suggesting we create a standard for everyone and leave politics for another day.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I hope this isn’t labeled as a political post. The politicization of this virus has really shaken my confidence in a good outcome for our society, and I’m not interested in perpetuating it. That said, I urge everyone here to read the book Hate Inc. by Matt Taibbi. We are all being played.

You are absolutely right. I generally think most people have good intentions, but just a different perspective. Look at most major political clashes. I don’t think most average people are deciding “I’m going to take the immoral position on this.” What’s scary is that there is little, if any, overlap. Something like a disease should be bringing people together like a 9/11 for example. The fact people still take sides doesn’t speak well for us going forward. That just makes dealing with something like this THAT much more difficult. If most people could get on the same page then we could potentially control things a lot better.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think anytime most people read “these gatherings are ok” then “these gatherings are bad...” ... and oh, by the way, the “ok” ones just happen to align with my political viewpoints - it’s a huge eye roll. It also makes you question the intentions of the speaker/writer. You can gather or you can’t. Maybe outside is ok, and maybe it’s not. We should have a “standard” recommendation or system in place that expects the same from everyone. Let’s work through this virus, save as many as possible, get the country up and running again, then we’ll have plenty of time for politics and what not.

- Not a political post - just suggesting we create a standard for everyone and leave politics for another day.

Personally I understand why the protests around the George Floyd murder erupted and it's not that I'm against them per se but the timing for all this in the middle of this pandemic with an election around the corner is horrific and I don't see how some people are not going to contract the virus by taking part in the protests or exactly how we put politics aside when the handling/mishandling of the virus has itself become the biggest political football in the coming election. The virus has dwarfed pretty much every other political issue. Obviously something needs to be done about policing but the pandemic is now pretty much a fire out of control. I'm on the sidelines and intend to stay there. I'm also looking at the numbers coming out of some states and am thinking they are going to go through what New York did in March, April and May and that we need some kind of real across the board national policy if we're ever going to get on the right side of this and that our economy is in for a prolonged setback if that is to happen. I'm sorry I don't have a more optimistic outlook.

Reactions: Riche16

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Of course the mongos down the shore ruined restaurants opening this week in Jersey.

I think it was some of the early returns on bar activity yea (videos from D’Jais didn’t help) - but I also think they’re watching what happened at vacation spots around the country.

I know there’s a large financial implication here and I’m not discounting that - but there’s a really good chance indoor bars, clubs and dining are out for a long time. You simply can’t tell people to drink inside and follow strict rules. It’s not gonna happen.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not going to get too deeply into this but no one politicized this more than healthcare workers that put out a statement basically green lighting breaking every possible protocol because it fit with their politics. I'll leave that there.

I thought the statements were bad bc they came across as professional when they were personal. But this nowhere near our biggest issue. It’s not remotely close. And no one was waiting for their approval anyway.

Healthcare is 1/6 of the US economy. There’s tens of millions of healthcare workers with a multitude of opinions. There’s been doctors who claim this is the flu. People were posting Dr Drew videos here in March. People believe what they want to believe. So to claim that those healthcare workers broke the almighty trust of the public with those statements, while everyone watches them get called tyrants for saying wear a mask is pure bullshit.

Mask wearing has been universally the most successful “easy” tool to combat this and we up until this week had governors mocking it. It’s been a tool to wage a culture war from day 1 and still continues today.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You are absolutely right. I generally think most people have good intentions, but just a different perspective. Look at most major political clashes. I don’t think most average people are deciding “I’m going to take the immoral position on this.” What’s scary is that there is little, if any, overlap. Something like a disease should be bringing people together like a 9/11 for example. The fact people still take sides doesn’t speak well for us going forward. That just makes dealing with something like this THAT much more difficult. If most people could get on the same page then we could potentially control things a lot better.

Seriously suggest taking a look at the book I suggested if you haven’t already. The idea is that with the advent of cable news and the internet, we left the era of Manufacturing Consent and entered the era of Manufacturing Hatred/Divisiveness.

If 9/11 happened right now (I’ll ignore the argument that we were experiencing a 9/11 per day for awhile there) it would be the same exact situation. The temptation is to blame the media, but the fact is that the media and politicians of both mainstream stripes have created a symbiotic chaos machine that keeps us all on edge and fired up over social issues while they push thru bipartisan policy that hurts regular people.

Reactions: Barnaby

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
believe what they want to believe. So to claim that those healthcare workers broke the almighty trust of the public with those statements, while everyone watches them get called tyrants for saying wear a mask is pure bullshit.

Mask wearing has been universally the most successful “easy” tool to combat this and we up until this week had governors mocking it. It’s been a tool to wage a culture war from day 1 and still continues today.

Yup - people do believe what they want to believe and, for the most part, anybody with a different opinion is the enemy. Lot of very angry people out there including an exorbitant number of adults who never grew up. They act like children.

The mask wearing lol. Let’s see, considering how often we touch our faces do we want no defense or some defense? Although vapor, one could make a case the virus is an airborne pathogen. So is a open highway or obstruction too and from your lungs a good or bad thing?

The best are these CO2 experts. “We’re breathing in toxins”, “lethal gas” have been some of the claims o_O . . . although medical staffs have been wearing masks for decades and fine.

I’m really excited to see where this is going through the end of the year leading up, through and after November.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yup - people do believe what they want to believe and, for the most part, anybody with a different opinion is the enemy. Lot of very angry people out there including an exorbitant number of adults who never grew up. They act like children.

The mask wearing lol. Let’s see, considering how often we touch our faces do we want no defense or some defense? Although vapor, one could make a case the virus is an airborne pathogen. So is a open highway or obstruction too and from your lungs a good or bad thing?

The best are these CO2 experts. “We’re breathing in toxins”, “lethal gas” have been some of the claims o_O . . . although medical staffs have been wearing masks for decades and fine.

in 2020, people who have different opinions barely enters the conversion. we are dealing with people that are different FACTS. making up your own facts to suit your narrative isn't an opinion. and it doesn't matter which side you are on, the entire world is insane lol

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
in 2020, people who have different opinions barely enters the conversion. we are dealing with people that are different FACTS. making up your own facts to suit your narrative isn't an opinion. and it doesn't matter which side you are on, the entire world is insane lol

agree

Good news though. We have an NHL draft and can’t wait for those who know all the FACTS about each teenager. :laugh:

Reactions: Leetch3

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm also looking at the numbers coming out of some states and am thinking they are going to go through what New York did in March, April and May and that we need some kind of real across the board national policy if we're ever going to get on the right side of this and that our economy is in for a prolonged setback if that is to happen. I'm sorry I don't have a more optimistic outlook.

Things gonna get bad if it continues like this. Either massive amounts of death which is going to bone the economy, or more shutdowns without any kind of protections from the government (fed or state at this) which will bone people and the economy.

The infuriating thing is that this wouldn't all be that bad if everyone would wear a mask at all times whenever they're near people, inside or out. It's such a little thing and minor inconvenience most of the time but could have such a big impact and let us go about our lives very close to "normal but instead that's somehow a political thing about whether or not to wear one and people have been literally killed over it.

Our country is insane.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
EU extends travel ban on the US because of how we’ve insufficiently handled the virus.

We basically live in a developing country right now.

Reactions: Riche16

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
I hope this isn’t labeled as a political post. The politicization of this virus has really shaken my confidence in a good outcome for our society, and I’m not interested in perpetuating it. That said, I urge everyone here to read the book Hate Inc. by Matt Taibbi. We are all being played.
I wish I could grab the whole of Gen Z by the shoulders, look them in the eye and tell them exactly "You're being played."

Looking at everything objectively and from a global perspective just makes things more sad and scary. The manipulations become more apparent.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Seriously suggest taking a look at the book I suggested if you haven’t already. The idea is that with the advent of cable news and the internet, we left the era of Manufacturing Consent and entered the era of Manufacturing Hatred/Divisiveness.

If 9/11 happened right now (I’ll ignore the argument that we were experiencing a 9/11 per day for awhile there) it would be the same exact situation. The temptation is to blame the media, but the fact is that the media and politicians of both mainstream stripes have created a symbiotic chaos machine that keeps us all on edge and fired up over social issues while they push thru bipartisan policy that hurts regular people.

I disagree. 9/11 was an instant pulverizing event for everyone to see. It was easy to understand what was happening and all in front of your eye balls. It was, without a doubt, the craziest thing I have and ever will see.

The virus is an invisible killer. It hides itself to the point where the toxic atmosphere you describe above is perfect fodder for it. This country is so dumb and apathetic now that they don't bat an eyelash unless something blasts them directly in the face.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I disagree. 9/11 was an instant pulverizing event for everyone to see. It was easy to understand what was happening and all in front of your eye balls. It was, without a doubt, the craziest thing I have and ever will see.

The virus is an invisible killer. It hides itself to the point where the toxic atmosphere you describe above is perfect fodder for it. This country is so dumb and apathetic now that they don't bat an eyelash unless something blasts them directly in the face.
I envy your “optimism” to a certain extent.

Hopefully we don’t have to find out, but I think we live in a world, or at least a country, that is so steeped in misinformation that people will actually question their eyeballs to avoid getting unanchored from whatever narrative they ascribe to.

I mean, there were plenty of conspiracy theories post 9/11. I shudder to think about what those would look like today.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I envy your “optimism” to a certain extent.

Hopefully we don’t have to find out, but I think we live in a world, or at least a country, that is so steeped in misinformation that people will actually question their eyeballs to avoid getting unanchored from whatever narrative they ascribe to.

I mean, there were plenty of conspiracy theories post 9/11. I shudder to think about what those would look like today.

I totally hear what you're saying about the current environment and could not agree more on that front. All Im saying is 9/11 was a special breed of craziness. And, as sad and harsh as this sounds, we're pretty good at channeling our national unity to a common foreign enemy. I had massive problems with that, but to bring that mentality home over the last 20 years to the point where American citizen is pitted against American citizen is unconscionable.

My silver lining is, for the first time in years, I feel like a much greater portion of the population is exhausted of all this BS.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Things gonna get bad if it continues like this. Either massive amounts of death which is going to bone the economy, or more shutdowns without any kind of protections from the government (fed or state at this) which will bone people and the economy.

The infuriating thing is that this wouldn't all be that bad if everyone would wear a mask at all times whenever they're near people, inside or out. It's such a little thing and minor inconvenience most of the time but could have such a big impact and let us go about our lives very close to "normal but instead that's somehow a political thing about whether or not to wear one and people have been literally killed over it.

Our country is insane.

Wearing a mask is getting parsed as a way for govt. to insinuate control over the population and as an assault on people's religious convictions. There's been a steady drumbeat of misinformation that the virus isn't all that real and that the 130,000 dead aren't all from Covid--that a lot of this has been made up and the effects of those dead or ill from the virus aren't nearly as important as the damage done to the economy. The mask wearers are sheep being led around by their noses by fake media, democratic politico's and the like, George Soros etc. One big huge conspiracy to derail the present administration after the impeachment failed......and very sadly I'm not sure there is a way to get through to some of these people but to have them actually experience it for themselves. But truly when people choose to not take precautions they're only feeding the fire and only going to prolong both the human and the economic agony.

If people would look they would see that other countries are getting back to some kind of normal--that other countries did more to protect not only their people but their economies as well. In the United States we're arguably worse than we were in March, April and May and we still don't have any real national response and because of that irrationality is on the loose.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I totally hear what you're saying about the current environment and could not agree more on that front. All Im saying is 9/11 was a special breed of craziness. And, as sad and harsh as this sounds, we're pretty good at channeling our national unity to a common foreign enemy. I had massive problems with that, but to bring that mentality home over the last 20 years to the point where American citizen is pitted against American citizen is unconscionable.

My silver lining is, for the first time in years, I feel like a much greater portion of the population is exhausted of all this BS.

I've made the case to the people I usually talk to about politics & American society that this country is still exorcising the demons created by 9/11 and the response to it, both good (national unity) and bad (Patriot Act, WMDs not being in Iraq, etc). I tend to get brushed off, because no one ever really thinks about 9/11 anymore, but I really think it's true and explains a lot of the shit we've seen over the last decade.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
EU extends travel ban on the US because of how we’ve insufficiently handled the virus.

We basically live in a developing country right now.

I may be wrong, but I'd think that's because we're really 50 different countries in terms of government response and some of those 50 countries weren't taking it seriously. As someone that lives in NY State, I'm actually VERY happy with this because the alternative would have been Trump handling it in NY State.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I may be wrong, but I'd think that's because we're really 50 different countries in terms of government response and some of those 50 countries weren't taking it seriously. As someone that lives in NY State, I'm actually VERY happy with this because the alternative would have been Trump handling it in NY State.

Yeah, there are times when we're 50 states and times when we're one country. Should this have been the former or the latter? We all have our own opinions. We know that the administration decided that it was the former.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, there are times when we're 50 states and times when we're one country. Should this have been the former or the latter? We all have our own opinions. We know that the administration decided that it was the former.

Well, if it were the latter then instead of like 40 states being ineffective, we'd have 50. As a person living in the fortunate 10, I'm glad we did it this way.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, if it were the latter then instead of like 40 states being ineffective, we'd have 50. As a person living in the fortunate 10, I'm glad we did it this way.

Maybe. If the will was there to respond to this on a national level, the will would've been there to address is like the problem it is. At least, that's my theory. The view that this doesn't need a coordinated federal response and that this doesn't need a strong response go hand-in-hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->