OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I may be wrong, but I'd think that's because we're really 50 different countries in terms of government response and some of those 50 countries weren't taking it seriously. As someone that lives in NY State, I'm actually VERY happy with this because the alternative would have been Trump handling it in NY State.
As long as you don't have a loved one living in a nursing home.

Reactions: Barnaby

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I've made the case to the people I usually talk to about politics & American society that this country is still exorcising the demons created by 9/11 and the response to it, both good (national unity) and bad (Patriot Act, WMDs not being in Iraq, etc). I tend to get brushed off, because no one ever really thinks about 9/11 anymore, but I really think it's true and explains a lot of the shit we've seen over the last decade.

It is undoubtedly a tipping point in American life. A rare moment in time where everything changed in an instant and moving forward. When I'm an old man, I think I'll have been extremely fortunate to grow up in the 1990's.

Perhaps more to your point, it was also when any political discourse lost all nuance and cognitive thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tawnos

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I may be wrong, but I'd think that's because we're really 50 different countries in terms of government response and some of those 50 countries weren't taking it seriously. As someone that lives in NY State, I'm actually VERY happy with this because the alternative would have been Trump handling it in NY State.

We aren't supposed to be that, but we are currently. And it's a disaster.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Looks like we're back to mid-March/ early-April conditions.

Regression is a b&^%h.
Meanwhile, we go live to New Yorkers enjoying themselves in their masks:

tenor.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
mannnnnn. Don’t get cocky. People are traveling far too much for this not to return. Only a matter of when.
Not cocky. There have been flare ups and will continue to be as long as the virus is a thing.

But the number of places where this is totally out of control worldwide is dwindling to a few. It's manageable if you even pretend to care about it.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It is undoubtedly a tipping point in American life. A rare moment in time where everything changed in an instant and moving forward. When I'm an old man, I think I'll have been extremely fortunate to grow up in the 1990's.

Perhaps more to your point, it was also when any political discourse lost all nuance and cognitive thinking.

You already are! Everything peaked in the 90s. Hockey certainly did. It’s been all downhill since then.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You already are! Everything peaked in the 90s. Hockey certainly did. It’s been all downhill since then.

For Rangers fans I'm thinking some very good times are ahead. There is the matter of getting on the right side of this pandemic and containing the spread.

I'm going to predict though there is not going to be a 20-21 NHL or AHL or ECHL or Div 1. college or USHL hockey played in the United States. It's possible that the CHL minus the Erie and Plymouth teams in the OHL and the Seattle, Portland, Spokane teams in the WHL might be able to play along with college feeder leagues like the BCHL, AJHL or GOJHL. Canada has done a far better job of containing the spread of the virus than we have. I think European hockey might save hockey for the next year. It's also a main reason why I think the Rangers should think hard about drafting a lot of Europeans in this draft. They're more likely to have some place to play.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Had a strange dream. Hockey was back. We're playing Buffalo. Staal was scratched and replaced by Paul Mara. But we lost on 3 straight late 3rd period goals.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not cocky. There have been flare ups and will continue to be as long as the virus is a thing.

But the number of places where this is totally out of control worldwide is dwindling to a few. It's manageable if you even pretend to care about it.

Didn't Australia just have to re-lockdown several cities (including Melbourne) because they've seen spikes that seem to have originated with people coming in from outside? Or did I mis-hear that report this morning? I might have. I wasn't paying close attention.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't Australia just have to re-lockdown several cities (including Melbourne) because they've seen spikes that seem to have originated with people coming in from outside? Or did I mis-hear that report this morning? I might have. I wasn't paying close attention.
There's a hotspot in Melbourne where they went back to phase 3 after 87 new cases.

If we have 87 new cases in the US we go to the bar without masks to celebrate.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

It's manageable, after getting completely ravaged by it when nothing was being done and we here did nothing to prevent it from spreading.

It's manageable when 25% of the people here already got it and are over it by now or they died. 20% of the deaths in the US happened in NYS, the vast majority of those in this city.

Reactions: Barnaby and bl02

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So, NYC Phase 3 indoor dining suspended. I kinda get it, since indoors can be an issue with air circulation, but I hope the mayor has plans to help restaurants expand outdoor seating. It is 79 degrees out now and a great day for outdoor dining.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
So, NYC Phase 3 indoor dining suspended. I kinda get it, since indoors can be an issue with air circulation, but I hope the mayor has plans to help restaurants expand outdoor seating. It is 79 degrees out now and a great day for outdoor dining.

Sure, but why not just go for takeout or delivery if you'd like to support those restaurants? I'd rather continue doing that and not potentially expose a wait staff or others working at the restaurant. I haven't once felt like it's necessary to actually go and sit down at a restaurant during quarantine. And that's coming from someone that used to LIVE at NYC restaurants. I have a spreadsheet with over 500 restaurants in the city that I've either been to or would like to go to. I just don't get why some people are so anxious to get back to restaurants and bars. It's not a thing that anyone needs to do. And until there's a vaccine, if we want to really beat this thing, people should (with very few exceptions) only be doing the things they need to do, and not the things they want to do.

Reactions: OverTheCap

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

there is likely nothing we can post without going over the line. With that said, i think our only chance is a vaccine which can get a significant portion of our lives back to normalcy with hope and increased odds the rest of the issues follow. Without a vaccine, i think we will continue to fail as a society as this gets more messed up by the week.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sure, but why not just go for takeout or delivery if you'd like to support those restaurants? I'd rather continue doing that and not potentially expose a wait staff or others working at the restaurant. I haven't once felt like it's necessary to actually go and sit down at a restaurant during quarantine. And that's coming from someone that used to LIVE at NYC restaurants. I have a spreadsheet with over 500 restaurants in the city that I've either been to or would like to go to. I just don't get why some people are so anxious to get back to restaurants and bars. It's not a thing that anyone needs to do. And until there's a vaccine, if we want to really beat this thing, people should (with very few exceptions) only be doing the things they need to do, and not the things they want to do.

Having dinner served to you and takeout delivery is a total difference. We can’t hide in our homes forever either. We have to find some medium, where people can go out to enjoy but also use precaution and whatnot. The outdoor dining has been a good compromise and it’s working.

Talking to a restaurant owner today, said to me the take out delivery made him just break out even, said lost a lot of revenue with not being able to serve, but the outside eating has helped him a lot.

Only problem, outside eating up here can maybe run to maybe mid oct? Then it starts getting too cold.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
there is likely nothing we can post without going over the line. With that said, i think our only chance is a vaccine which can get a significant portion of our lives back to normalcy with hope and increased odds the rest of the issues follow. Without a vaccine, i think we will continue to fail as a society as this gets more messed up by the week.
Conflict is king in this era. The cheap soap opera reality TV aspect of most things in our lives has made us craven as a society. It’s sad to say it, but we are incapable of coming together as a nation. That’s the reality. Despite those monstrous headwinds, it doesn’t stop the pretending that we’re the greatest. Our deadly sin is pride.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Because that wait staff won’t exist? It’s better for the economy and more importantly better for people’s physical and mental well being.

You can be smart (eating outdoors) without being extreme. At some point you have to give a little for people’s sanity. I think people can be smart and flexible but if your too stringent then I think there’s a point where people say F it.

Reactions: bl02 and Leonardo87

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Having dinner served to you and takeout delivery is a total difference. We can’t hide in our homes forever either.

Because that wait staff won’t exist? It’s better for the economy and more importantly better for people’s physical and mental well being.

You can be smart (eating outdoors) without being extreme. At some point you have to give a little for people’s sanity. I think people can be smart and flexible but if your too stringent then I think there’s a point where people say F it.

Yeah, I don't agree with any of this. Maybe it's just me but I don't need people serving me at a restaurant to keep my sanity or mental health. And the part about "I think there's a point where people say F it" - sorry, I can't relate. I've been staying inside and consuming only what is absolutely necessary for 4 months, and I know many others who are doing the same. But some people think they will lose their sanity if they can't eat outdoors at a restaurant or get a haircut. I don't know if people are just weak mentally, or if they are selfish and using "mental health" as an excuse to do the things they want to do. I imagine it's mostly the latter.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I don't agree with any of this. Maybe it's just me but I don't need people serving me at a restaurant to keep my sanity or mental health. And the part about "I think there's a point where people say F it" - sorry, I can't relate. I've been staying inside and consuming only what is absolutely necessary for 4 months, and I know many others who are doing the same. But some people think they will lose their sanity if they can't eat outdoors at a restaurant or get a haircut. I don't know if people are just weak mentally, or if they are selfish and using "mental health" as an excuse to do the things they want to do. I imagine it's mostly the latter.

Meh. It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I couldn’t go out to eat. I just enjoy it, and trying to support the restaurants as much as I can. I still do a lot of take out and delivery, and some cooking at home which i suck at, lol. If you want to stay home that is your choice and there is nothing wrong with that, and there is nothing wrong with the people who want to go out when they can, just as long as they cover their face and use precautions that are asked of them.

Reactions: Barnaby and bl02

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
New York is better but the country is in a lot worse place than we were in April. Too many states opened up too f***ing soon. Florida, Texas and California could absolutely pass our case numbers. Arizona is a disaster.

Medicos are getting savvier and savvier on how to save lives but still when a state overwhelms its hospital system it is in for some really dark days. It will start running out of room, equipment and supplies and when doctors, nurses and their aides are subjected to weeks and weeks of double shifting some of them are going to break down physically and/or psychologically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad