OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm really not sure how I'm putting them in some difficult position. I asked him if he'd be ok with it and he said no, I said ok. Not like I was giving him a hard time about it.

Let me tell you the extreme of people on both ends of the spectrum. People in Florida and other states are going to Disney when it opens this week and don’t care about the 11,500 cases that hit on Thursday, which beat NY’s single day record. I am part of a Passholders group since I have Florida residence. Only thing they care about is seeing Mickey, Goofy, or whoever, even if it will be likely behind a plastic bubble. I cancelled my trip was going to spend a night or two in Orlando then drive to my house in Sarasota.

Now here in NY, people don’t even want to leave their houses. Have only gotten taken out or delivery for 4 months and totally isolated themselves from society, hoard all the food and supplies from the markets and etc. This is not healthy either.

Both kinds of people are too extreme. Life must go on, but not foolishly. Use precaution if you have to be around people who are vulnerable keep apart 6 feet and wash hands, and wear a mask around them. But people need to stop being so scared and also so careless and not giving a shit about others. That is why this virus is winning right now. Because people cannot find a happy medium of staying safe, using precaution, and getting on with life.

I had an 80 yo client with a mild case of emphysema come into my office to review her policy, I quickly grabbed my mask before she walked in, and made sure to stay 6 feet from her. I said to her, there is no reason to come here now, we can do this over the phone, have one of your children call me and will discuss with them the details. If I found out later that I had gotten her sick would be devastated, she is one of the high risk people that people are so ignorant about and don’t understand or care about.

My point? Gotta be careful in general, but you also have to live and get on with your life. When you are around high risk people or in high risk situations need to be even extra careful and maybe better to distant for now. Your situation doesn’t seem to be high risk. Would recommend to do everything outside.

Sorry for the long post. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
[QUOTE="Leonardo87, post: 172474932, member: 213653"

Now here in NY, people don’t even want to leave their houses. Have only gotten taken out or delivery for 4 months and totally isolated themselves from society, hoard all the food and supplies from the markets and etc. This is not healthy either.
.[/QUOTE]

Blame
Fortnite

Reactions: romba

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
[QUOTE="Leonardo87, post: 172474932, member: 213653"

Blame
Fortnite[/QUOTE]

It was Final Fantasy VII remake for me, lol. Kept me sane playing that game, logged in over 100 hours. Lol.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
I'm really not sure how I'm putting them in some difficult position. I asked him if he'd be ok with it and he said no, I said ok. Not like I was giving him a hard time about it.
I don't think you put them in too tough a spot but I was assuming you were miffed by their denial to go. My bad. But I also don't think you're giving yourself enough credit :) You put them in a hard spot because they're your friends, they love you. They don't even want to tell you no because they truly *do* want to say yes. It feels bad to tell people you can't be there for them.

To share a parralel story that might shed some light on my response; a family member of mine is having a wedding at the end of this month and is upset that the large majority responded that they weren't going. We all have been dreaming of her wedding for years, we want to be there. But we also don't want that same day to be marred because someone eventually died from the virus in order for it to happen. Whether they go through with it or not we'll see, but we're still planning to have a celebration with them when it's clear. Either way, my point in bringing this up is it feels terrible saying no and it's created drama where there was none before.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think you put them in too tough a spot but I was assuming you were miffed by their denial to go. My bad. But I also don't think you're giving yourself enough credit :) You put them in a hard spot because they're your friends, they love you. They don't even want to tell you no because they truly *do* want to say yes. It feels bad to tell people you can't be there for them.

To share a parralel story that might shed some light on my response; a family member of mine is having a wedding at the end of this month and is upset that the large majority responded that they weren't going. We all have been dreaming of her wedding for years, we want to be there. But we also don't want that same day to be marred because someone eventually died from the virus in order for it to happen. Whether they go through with it or not we'll see, but we're still planning to have a celebration with them when it's clear. Either way, my point in bringing this up is it feels terrible saying no and it's created drama where there was none before.

The way I did it, I said "for my birthday I'd like to have it at my place this year, and invite you, your wife, ABC, and XYZ. Are you down or are you concerned about Covid?"

His response was "no and yes, we're not ready to have inside gatherings with no mask".

I said "ok".

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Disney o_O

sweltering heat, long lines (quite a few indoors), food, photo opts and . . . masks? Not to mention, the flights in and out of Orlando.

Our Northeast Covid numbers are good. Hope they remain low.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
They don’t need the money. Which makes the decision easier for them. Although they won’t admit it.

I’m more worried about lower level schools. My bro in law is a HC of a basketball program D3. They don’t operate with large budgets.

they don’t have to admit it. They’re known foe their academics (and bending the rules so a certain group gets accepted regardless lol).

Going to be rough for all the schools. Football will be very challenging if they can even get the season going. Basketball? Good luck. No pads to shield them, indoors, sweaty and coming into contact. Good luck with that.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
they don’t have to admit it. They’re known foe their academics (and bending the rules so a certain group gets accepted regardless lol).

Going to be rough for all the schools. Football will be very challenging if they can even get the season going. Basketball? Good luck. No pads to shield them, indoors, sweaty and coming into contact. Good luck with that.

My understanding for D2/3 for basketball is they're already preparing like it's going to be conference only. Probably starting in January. That's what i get from my bro in law - he coaches in an update NY conference. I think that's what they hope at this point. Best case.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
My understanding for D2/3 for basketball is they're already preparing like it's going to be conference only. Probably starting in January. That's what i get from my bro in law - he coaches in an update NY conference. I think that's what they hope at this point. Best case.

upstate NY is doing well with this along with Western MA and Connecticut. They may have a chance and hope they can play.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
No thread yet on training camp or whatever you want to call it?

Is it not suppose to start tomorrow?

Anyway I have a thought. NHL teams regularly have bouts with the flu running through entire teams. What makes them think they can stop COVID-19 from doing the same? You ask me and I will say,.. it's impossible for it not to happen. COVIE don't play hockey.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Anyway I have a thought. NHL teams regularly have bouts with the flu running through entire teams. What makes them think they can stop COVID-19 from doing the same? You ask me and I will say,.. it's impossible for it not to happen. COVIE don't play hockey.

camps start monday. it was pushed back to the 13th

Reactions: ohbaby

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York

The only thing I can think of is that COVID is obviously a bit more severe than the flu and getting it has way more implications (such as having to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks and short-handing the team in an already short season). As a result players will take it more seriously.

I agree though, this is an ultra high-contact sport... it's going to spread.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
My cousin from Louisville wants to visit with her friend from LA. I'm not concerned about Louisville, but CA is dicey. She wants to go somewhere, maybe in nature. Should I say that maybe she should visit without her friend?

Would that be the smart thing to do?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
How do you slow down the expansion of this thread? With hockey.

People here will be turning their focus to posting in the hockey related threads. Hopefully.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Studies are starting to indicate that the immunity to this sucks. That's bad news.

We're just going to have to wait until it mutates into benignity.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
oh boy. guess we're gonna have to swing our messaging from "almost at herd immunity" back to "it only kills old people"
We weren't even close to herd immunity anyway lol

I just hope they can still vaccinate something that has weak immunity, I don't know that works. I would imagine it would be a booster type situation and we're going to have trouble getting Americans to take the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad