OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VII - READ THE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
We weren't even close to herd immunity anyway lol

Lol Boris Johnson is STILL mentioning it in speeches. It's only used here by generally dishonest people who threw a million different bullshit theories out instead of acknowledging reality.

Regardless, aiming for herd immunity for an unknown communicable disease is weapons grade stupid. Borderline criminal.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, even if it's two months immunity, two months of no spread would starve it to death. So that's not the end of the world.

It's just that, at this point, a vaccine is not going to be a magic wand solution. We'll still need other precautions and compliance. That's going to be a problem, particularly here where people already want to pretend it's over.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Over/Under Days until Florida breaks 20,000 positives in a Day?

Friday the 18th - under or over? (over, when)?

i will say Thursday and take the Under

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Lol Boris Johnson is STILL mentioning it in speeches. It's only used here by generally dishonest people who threw a million different bullshit theories out instead of acknowledging reality.

Regardless, aiming for herd immunity for an unknown communicable disease is weapons grade stupid. Borderline criminal.

The herd immunity discourse was honestly some of the most brutal and bleak stuff I have ever heard.

The desire to let this thing rip through the population and add untold numbers to the body pile like we would cross some imaginary infection/death finish line and everything is normal again.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The herd immunity discourse was honestly some of the most brutal and bleak stuff I have ever heard.

The desire to let this thing rip through the population and add untold numbers to the body pile like we would cross some imaginary infection/death finish line and everything is normal again.

If you talk to someone who seriously suggests doing this long enough they’ll usually say something like “bro did you hear Elon Musk on Joe Rogen’s podcast?”

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The "herd immunity" course that countries like the UK and Sweden took long-term is absolute garbage.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The "herd immunity" course that countries like the UK and Sweden took long-term is absolute garbage.

If the UK, a pretty large country purposely took herd immunity why aren't we hearing about the insane death tolls like we are here? I understand the UK is smaller but as the percentage of the population, we're not hearing much out of there.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If the UK, a pretty large country purposely took herd immunity why aren't we hearing about the insane death tolls like we are here? I understand the UK is smaller but as the percentage of the population, we're not hearing much out of there.

Attachments

• 2C08D57C-2054-404D-BDE0-EED44B5C8662.jpeg
    2C08D57C-2054-404D-BDE0-EED44B5C8662.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I wonder how long, realistically, it will be before people can safely attend a bar. Years?

if you have cash or a line of credit, who knows, wait two years and you might open the only bar in town. I can’t see how these existing bars survive if this takes a few years.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Silly question perhaps but going to attempt to get a haircut today...should I expect to be wearing a mask throughout?

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Interesting, maybe the reason I haven't heard about the UK but have the US is because I live in the US.
In terms of case fatality rate, France, Belgium, UK and Italy are worst 4 (ignoring Yemen which has other issues), the UK's being a paltry 15.45%. The UK has about 1/5 the US population and about 1/3 the deaths. The US CFR is now down to around 4%. The numbers are somewhat confounded by differences in testing. IMO your question about why you haven't heard about large UK death tolls is driven by where you get your information from.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wonder how long, realistically, it will be before people can safely attend a bar. Years?

if you have cash or a line of credit, who knows, wait two years and you might open the only bar in town. I can’t see how these existing bars survive if this takes a few years.

Was at a Bar over the weekend. Was nice not having people on top of me. They are using tables to separate the bar stools or only allow high table top seating around the bar. I don't fear this virus, but will take the precautions to make sure I don't spread it to others more vulnerable in case I do get it, which I think I already got it back in March anyway.

Was talking to one of the owners over the weekend. The takeout was not enough and they still lost money, they need the patrons, and alcohol sales are huge for them. So will do what I can to support them.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Was at a Bar over the weekend. Was nice not having people on top of me. They are using tables to separate the bar stools or only allow high table top seating around the bar. I don't fear this virus, but will take the precautions to make sure I don't spread it to others more vulnerable in case I do get it, which I think I already got it back in March anyway.

Was talking to one of the owners over the weekend. The takeout was not enough and they still lost money, they need the patrons, and alcohol sales are huge for them. So will do what I can to support them.

you’re supporting them but they need to get back to normalcy to survive IMO. You’re there at a distance with few people so what do people usually do at a bar? They watch the TV for sports . . . but there are none, so how many will sign up for that?

Scary times. Can you imagine if football is canceled? You’re losing Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun & Monday night. Not to many are going to venture out to sip a cocktail with few to speak with and no sports. Rough

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
you’re supporting them but they need to get back to normalcy to survive IMO. You’re there at a distance with few people so what do people usually do at a bar? They watch the TV for sports . . . but there are none, so how many will sign up for that?

Scary times. Can you imagine if football is canceled? You’re losing Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun & Monday night. Not to many are going to venture out to sip a cocktail with few to speak with and no sports. Rough

Yeah exactly, with sports coming back the end of this month it will help but still are restricted with how many people can come in and whatnot. Sadly normalcy won’t happen for awhile and still don’t think we will go back to how things were.

NJ and NYC cannot even sit inside yet. I saw a bar in NJ set up a bar and table tops outside with TVs. But they are really depending on the weather. Unless they like Pina Colada's and getting caught in the rain. Lol. A lot of these places though have rented those large tents as well to help in case of bad weather.

Reactions: NYSPORTS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->