OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Getting my Anti-Bodies test Wednesday morning, the good one approved by the FDA. Pretty sure i'll come back positive for them in my line of work. As will most of my job who is taking it. Results come back in 3-5 days after taking it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm trying to get hand sanitizer and everything is this god damn aloe vera, vegan, soft soothing, scented f***ing bullshit.

No. I want 101% alcohol, keep out of reach of children, I can hear the virus scream for mommy when it hits my hands type of shit.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I'm trying to get hand sanitizer and everything is this god damn aloe vera, vegan, soft soothing, scented f***ing bullshit.

No. I want 101% alcohol, keep out of reach of children, I can hear the virus scream for mommy when it hits my hands type of shit.
You can mix aloe vera with rubbing alcohol to make hand sanitizer.

Reactions: charliemurphy

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Good thing I have a big container of 90% for when I'm working on my computer...

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

Just go buy pure ethanol then. lol

nvm: just read, you're out of that too.

I'm washing my hands and that's about it. I do adhere to the rules in public places. I trust my immune system most.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
California is moving to Stage 2 reopening on Friday. Stage 2 is when some lower-risk businesses and public spaces can reopen with modifications to allow for distancing. Those include places like factories, with more spaced-out works stations, or nongrocery retail stores, but with curbside pickup. Offices, dine-in restaurants, schools, and child care facilities will be part of a later Stage 2 opening.

To get a sense of timeline:

Stage 3 will be when higher-risk businesses will be able to reopen with modifications. This includes nail and hair salons, gyms, movie theaters, and sports without live audiences (including the NHL), as well as in-person religious services. One infectious disease expert predicts August/September 2020.

Stage 4 will be the end of California's stay-at-home order. That will be when restrictions are lifted and concerts, conventions and sports with a live crowd (including the NHL) will be allowed to reopen. This will require therapeutics, and one infectious disease expert says this may not be implemented until Summer/Fall 2021.

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
California is moving to Stage 2 reopening on Friday. Stage 2 is when some lower-risk businesses and public spaces can reopen with modifications to allow for distancing. Those include places like factories, with more spaced-out works stations, or nongrocery retail stores, but with curbside pickup. Offices, dine-in restaurants, schools, and child care facilities will be part of a later Stage 2 opening.

To get a sense of timeline:

Stage 3 will be when higher-risk businesses will be able to reopen with modifications. This includes nail and hair salons, gyms, movie theaters, and sports without live audiences (including the NHL), as well as in-person religious services. One infectious disease expert predicts August/September 2020.

Stage 4 will be the end of California's stay-at-home order. That will be when restrictions are lifted and concerts, conventions and sports with a live crowd (including the NHL) will be allowed to reopen. This will require therapeutics, and one infectious disease expert says this may not be implemented until Summer/Fall 2021.
Honestly this is going to go very badly. In the worst hit place (here), NYC only has probably about 33% already exposed to the coronavirus. The rest of the country is single digits. As soon as people go out in public without masks, breathing the same air and touching the same utensils, the infect rates are going to get on that same exponential curve and there will be serious pain involved.

Best case scenario is a vaccine by September, which is 4 months away. Everything we just went through was only 2 months! The rest of the US is in for some serious trouble, and I don't see how a country like Canada can re-open the border while this is ongoing

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
How are all these areas opening up, but schools are still closed? How the hell am I expected to go back in to the office when my two kids are Zoom schooling? I am a data admin who supports community based Social Workers who are deemed to be essential, but I can do my job just as easily from home as I have been for the past 2 months. In fact, output has improved and our numbers are up since the stay at home order. For 'fairness' sake though, I KNOW they are going to force me to go in ASAP so the SW's don't feel resentment to us Admins. They'll have to go in the field so bosses are sooooo worried that they'll resent those of us who do not have to, even though they totally would understand. The concept of fairness supersedes safety for my moron bosses. I'm going to have to take a damn purel bath everytime I use the restroom and get back to my desk, I can't wait.

TLDR: If schools are closed for the year, how can ppl go back to work? I can't use family for support as I have in the past and gl finding a Nanny willing to start a new job now.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Honestly this is going to go very badly. In the worst hit place (here), NYC only has probably about 33% already exposed to the coronavirus. The rest of the country is single digits. As soon as people go out in public without masks, breathing the same air and touching the same utensils, the infect rates are going to get on that same exponential curve and there will be serious pain involved.

Best case scenario is a vaccine by September, which is 4 months away. Everything we just went through was only 2 months! The rest of the US is in for some serious trouble, and I don't see how a country like Canada can re-open the border while this is ongoing
33% is actually pretty high and would help limit the infection rates locally in NYC, and by the time the second wave hits I'm sure the % with AB will be higher here. Definitely will be a spike, but not as bad here as March. You're absolutely right for the rest of the country where things have been better controlled, the second wave can be very problematic there. It is why Sweden is doing what they are. Expose everyone young and healthy, keep sick and elderly home, and suffer some sacrifices now and develop strong herd immunity for 2nd or 3rd wave, if a vaccine isn't ready.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
F the Corona virus, we now have Murder Hornets in the US to worry about!!!’

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is just atrocious. This number is more than the total number of people that have died in Florida due to COVID, but they're getting lambasted for opening up.
It is all about how you stratify the numbers. There is the mortality rate and then there's what happens when you dig into the rate and see that the great majority of fatalities are coming from the old and the infirm.

What is happening in the nursing homes is beyond awful. They have basically become death pits. Perhaps the wise decision in the very beginning would have been to lock down the nursing homes before you started to lock down absolutely everything. We may not have known a lot but we certainly knew the effects on the elderly. The over mortality rate may have been much, much lower.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What is happening in the nursing homes is beyond awful. They have basically become death pits.

This has been the worst thing done across the board. All the talk of protecting the vulnerable and these things are happening. There is a large percentage of people dying in these kind of sites. It's failure across the board.

On top of that, if they talk about phasing the opening and having older people and people in these locations stay behind longer to be safe, how do we know they're even going to be enforcing that? Clearly they didn't care enough with everyone at home now. Families with loved ones in these locations need to be reviewing their contracts and seeing what legal ground they have. Yes, the pandemic is impacting everyone, but these are people that should be looking after the most vulnerable and they clearly did not.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This has been the worst thing done across the board. All the talk of protecting the vulnerable and these things are happening. There is a large percentage of people dying in these kind of sites. It's failure across the board.

On top of that, if they talk about phasing the opening and having older people and people in these locations stay behind longer to be safe, how do we know they're even going to be enforcing that? Clearly they didn't care enough with everyone at home now. Families with loved ones in these locations need to be reviewing their contracts and seeing what legal ground they have. Yes, the pandemic is impacting everyone, but these are people that should be looking after the most vulnerable and they clearly did not.
What needs to happen at these homes is that all of the people need to be tested and the entire buildings disinfected. Then bring them back in and only allow people who have the proper protection to enter and work there. The situation is a disgrace and a rather deadly one.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Don't worry about the hornets. You can see hornets.

They grow up to two inches long, with thick antennae and rigid exoskeletons. They target beehives, dump pheromones on them, come back with an army, and go about decapitating the bees' heads with their mandibles (which are likened to shark fins except with jagged edges) and bringing back the dismembered bodies to feed their young. Their faces are yellow to orange with teardrop-shaped eyes like Spider-Man's and their abdomens are striped orange and black, ending with razor-sharp stingers. Two or more stings can kill a human being.

Yeah, murder hornets.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They grow up to two inches long, with thick antennae and rigid exoskeletons. They target beehives, dump pheromones on them, come back with an army, and go about decapitating the bees' heads with their mandibles (which are likened to shark fins except with jagged edges) and bringing back the dismembered bodies to feed their young. Their faces are yellow to orange with teardrop-shaped eyes like Spider-Man's and their abdomens are striped orange and black, ending with razor-sharp stingers. Two or more stings can kill a human being.

Yeah, murder hornets.
Yeah, but you can see them.

Reactions: will1066
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad