OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would also like to see us address the elderly in a better way. For people under 50, in the grand scheme of things, this really isn't anything worth shutting the world off for. The threat is to older people and the data tells us we haven't handled it well at all.

There's no way to enforce anything with that, but information is very important, and people will follow it if you give them a good plan.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
There really isn't a national strategy when you leave it up to 50 different governors to do whatever they want or when we have people like Mitch McConnell who want to turn it to their political agenda of red vs. blue states. Meanwhile the POTUS wants to do campaign rallying. Droplets are the main spreader and packing 20 to 25K people into a venue jumping up and down, cheering and shouting is a recipe for disaster. To me it's like close to half the adult population of this country is deranged. They don't get it still and a good % of people have decided it's a hoax and/or it's all over. The numbers have been going down gradually in NYS and NYC for a while but they've been ticking up overall in the rest of the country. Anyway I don't think we're going to get this right the first time--I think there is going to be a second wave and it's going to be bigger.

I also wish people would get it out of their heads that it's only old people who die from this. As if they don't matter but also particularly in population dense areas if the hospitals get overwhelmed there are going to be all kinds of people dying.

But anyway my friends already know that we're not going to be seeing each other for a while--maybe a year or more. Sucks but it is what it is. My family (except for one sister who can't get it through her head) know it too.
A year or more? I don't see that as realistic. I'll be 60 soon. I am in great physical shape, eat right, don't smoke and am very healthy but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything for Covid. But for 99% of the people, it's mild to no symptoms. Are you really going to shut yourself off for a year? I don't think the country could survive with that philosophy. People are already going under financially. There has to be some risk assumed to get on with life. The elderly, I agree with you. More time is needed.

Seems like with only a 1% chance of death, I don't know exact numbers but it's likely close to the same odds as getting hit by a car or choking to death or a Heart attack.

Reactions: bl02

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A year or more? I don't see that as realistic. I'll be 60 soon. I am in great physical shape, eat right, don't smoke and am very healthy but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything for Covid. But for 99% of the people, it's mild to no symptoms. Are you really going to shut yourself off for a year? I don't think the country could survive with that philosophy. People are already going under financially. There has to be some risk assumed to get on with life. The elderly, I agree with you. More time is needed.

Seems like with only a 1% chance of death, I don't know exact numbers but it's likely close to the same odds as getting hit by a car or choking to death or a Heart attack.

I'm 62 and most of my friends are around the same age and a few older and some of them do have health issues. I'll take however long it takes but I'm not interested in putting any of them at risk. They can always call or email or vice versa. The economy is kind of f***ed with this but it wasn't great to begin with for the majority of the population and particularly younger ones were looking at a bleak future before all this. Maybe it doesn't happen but still here's our chance to reconstruct our economy better. So survival? My parents went through the depression. They survived.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
I'm 62 and most of my friends are around the same age and a few older and some of them do have health issues. I'll take however long it takes but I'm not interested in putting any of them at risk. They can always call or email or vice versa. The economy is kind of f***ed with this but it wasn't great to begin with for the majority of the population and particularly younger ones were looking at a bleak future before all this. Maybe it doesn't happen but still here's our chance to reconstruct our economy better. So survival? My parents went through the depression. They survived.
I understand. If this lockdown stuff started in February, things would likely look a lot better...All of my friends are younger than me. Some a couple of years, some 10 or more. I know we all need to be careful for awhile but I think we can ease into seeing each other and chilling. Big time testing won't be available for awhile it looks like...The economy is another story though.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
God forbid if your loved one gets sick during this period. My 80 yo mother has been in hospital the past week because of blood clots in her leg and lungs causing pain and shortness of breath. When she first arrived they did a covid test - negative. They sent her to a clean floor. Less than 24 hours later some expert doctors said she was experiencing symptoms of covid( blood clots, chills, cough) and thought that test was a false negative so they sent her to a covid floor without testing again. Brilliant. The geniuses then tested her 2 more times (after sending to covid floor)- both negative again. It then took 48 hours to get her to a clean floor again. F'ing incompetence. I'm livid. Nobody is allowed in the hospital and getting information from somebody is like pulling teeth. We finally got some good news today that the blood thinners are working and my mother is doing better but it has been one rough week. The moral of this story is that people are getting sick and it's not covid related and say a prayer that a loved one doesn't wind up in the hospital. It's a nightmare.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Totally disagree. The economy was doing quite well and most people were actually optimistic. Now we are f***ed.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
God forbid if your loved one gets sick during this period. My 80 yo mother has been in hospital the past week because of blood clots in her leg and lungs causing pain and shortness of breath. When she first arrived they did a covid test - negative. They sent her to a clean floor. Less than 24 hours later some expert doctors said she was experiencing symptoms of covid( blood clots, chills, cough) and thought that test was a false negative so they sent her to a covid floor without testing again. Brilliant. The geniuses then tested her 2 more times (after sending to covid floor)- both negative again. It then took 48 hours to get her to a clean floor again. F'ing incompetence. I'm livid. Nobody is allowed in the hospital and getting information from somebody is like pulling teeth. We finally got some good news today that the blood thinners are working and my mother is doing better but it has been one rough week. The moral of this story is that people are getting sick and it's not covid related and say a prayer that a loved one doesn't wind up in the hospital. It's a nightmare.
Sorry to hear about your mom....I said above that when I visited my mom, which was only once since February, this Saturday when I dropped off groceries by her front door I didn't go inside her apartment. I was outside wearing a mask. That's how it will be next time. Especially since I will be going back to work next week.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
God forbid if your loved one gets sick during this period. My 80 yo mother has been in hospital the past week because of blood clots in her leg and lungs causing pain and shortness of breath. When she first arrived they did a covid test - negative. They sent her to a clean floor. Less than 24 hours later some expert doctors said she was experiencing symptoms of covid( blood clots, chills, cough) and thought that test was a false negative so they sent her to a covid floor without testing again.

sry you and your family are dealing with this. It’s frustrating, it’s scary and there is no way to get control of it. The staff in these hospitals are struggling. They’re under attack and this virus is sometimes undetectable with symptoms while detectable without symptoms. They can’t get their arms around it.

Be well and i think we need to put in the hands above us all. It will be ok.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I thought the idea of locking down was to “flatten the curve.” So that hospitals could meet demand and not be overwhelmed. I don’t think it was ever realistic that we would be locked down until this disease is completely eradicated. A medicine or vaccine could take years or never come at all. Of course every place is different but it seems like we need to start smartly reintroducing people back into the world. Continue to keep high risk people at home, if you can work at home for a longer period of time then do so, but stores need to be opened gradually and kids should be at camps in the summer and school in September.

This kawasaki disease with kids has me concerned. So far the hack media is reporting on it while the medical field either knows better or is trying to figure out the connection. Such limited info.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
sry you and your family are dealing with this. It’s frustrating, it’s scary and there is no way to get control of it. The staff in these hospitals are struggling. They’re under attack and this virus is sometimes undetectable with symptoms while detectable without symptoms. They can’t get their arms around it.

Be well and i think we need to put in the hands above us all. It will be ok.

I know that they are struggling but what they did was inexcusable. These idiots put an 80 yo woman at risk on a covid positive floor even after a negative test without even testing again. 2 more negative tests and still had to wait 48 hours to move her. Duh. Just f***ing dumb. And then try getting somebody to call you back and give you answers. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. Again, inexcusable.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Sorry to hear about your mom....I said above that when I visited my mom, which was only once since February, this Saturday when I dropped off groceries by her front door I didn't go inside her apartment. I was outside wearing a mask. That's how it will be next time. Especially since I will be going back to work next week.

Yes and that is the way we have been with my mom taking extreme precautions and then the idiots at the hospital put her on a covid positive floor for 2 days when she tests negative.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I know that they are struggling but what they did was inexcusable. These idiots put an 80 yo woman at risk on a covid positive floor even after a negative test without even testing again. 2 more negative tests and still had to wait 48 hours to move her. Duh. Just f***ing dumb. And then try getting somebody to call you back and give you answers. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. Again, inexcusable.

i get it. Very frustrating

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Sorry about this. After my dad died I spent a lot of time with my mom the next several years until she died. I was over to see her sometimes 5 or 6 times a week pretty much until she died--subtracting a trip here and there. The last week in a coma on pain meds with a DNR I was sitting around for hours every day. Bring a book and wait. One of them was Viktor Frankl's Man's search for meaning--an Auschwitz survivor. That book helped anyway.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Totally disagree. The economy was doing quite well and most people were actually optimistic. Now we are f***ed.

Well I respectfully disagree back. Young people are screwed. So many are saddled with college debt they can hardly afford to pay off in the next 20 or so years that they might as well be called indentured servants. So they don't buy houses, get married and/or have children. Millions and millions of people can't afford health insurance--can't afford to have a medical issue---a good half of the population can't afford an unexpected $500 hit. The Stock Market isn't the entire picture. The economy was working great for some no doubt--but that some didn't include a great % of the population.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Well I respectfully disagree back. Young people are screwed. So many are saddled with college debt they can hardly afford to pay off in the next 20 or so years that they might as well be called indentured servants. So they don't buy houses, get married and/or have children. Millions and millions of people can't afford health insurance--can't afford to have a medical issue---a good half of the population can't afford an unexpected $500 hit. The Stock Market isn't the entire picture. The economy was working great for some no doubt--but that some didn't include a great % of the population.

Even in the best of times there are always going to be a % of the population that struggles unfortunately. I still think that most people were content with their situations prior to the virus but I understand what you are saying. Now its a shit show for everybody basically. I agree with you about student debt. It's a major problem. It bothers me that some of the interest paid on this debt is as high as 10%, especially private loans. It's just not right.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Even in the best of times there are always going to be a % of the population that struggles unfortunately. I still think that most people were content with their situations prior to the virus but I understand what you are saying. Now its a shit show for everybody basically. I agree with you about student debt. It's a major problem. It bothers me that some of the interest paid on this debt is as high as 10%, especially private loans. It's just not right.

It's one of those things you can't declare bankruptcy---so if you don't get a job that can pay off your student debt you can be at for 20/30 years which is what it takes for some people to pay off a home. I mean really for an economy and a society to be going (and IMO society is more important than economy if we have to pick and choose) the larger % of people in their 20's and 30's have really got to be going somewhere. Not seeing nearly enough of that. As well the differences in pay equity is a snapshot between men/women and white/black/brown as far as inequality. I'm a believer that you have to raise things up from the bottom--not trickle down wealth from the top. We'll go a long way towards ending our inequality and racism problems if and when we level off pay equity---which is how you go about building a much happier society. It's utopian but MLK was a utopian in that sense too and all things are possible if you can dream them and have the will to bring them about. It would be a national goal but who would have thunk in the 40's and 50's that one day people could walk on the moon.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
For two, we all need to remember that while technically the death rate isn't amazingly high and if you're relatively young and healthy then you're not in a high risk group, catching the disease is still a roll of the dice and maybe you're one of the unlucky ones who dies, or has major complications and lasting lung/organ/whatever damage.
The CFR in the US is now 5.92%. It's trending up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad