OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What needs to happen at these homes is that all of the people need to be tested and the entire buildings disinfected. Then bring them back in and only allow people who have the proper protection to enter and work there. The situation is a disgrace and a rather deadly one.

Also, if anyone gets infected with COVID, they need to be removed from the location and sent to a hospital instead of being told that they need to stay there. On top of it, maybe they shouldn't be mandating that nursing homes take COVID patients. Here is our "fearless leader" William blaming for-profit nursing homes for thinking about their profits over the people:

I'm sure all the workers and people that put valiant efforts to help these people, not to mention the people that died trying to help the elderly, are really appreciative of these comments. They sent COVID patients there with body bags.

Unfortunately, William is going to try and take advantage of the virus and make changes to NYC that don't need to be done, all while blaming the people that were put into a situation that they could not be prepared for and then were told to eat a shit sandwich from people like him.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Also, if anyone gets infected with COVID, they need to be removed from the location and sent to a hospital instead of being told that they need to stay there. On top of it, maybe they shouldn't be mandating that nursing homes take COVID patients. Here is our "fearless leader" William blaming for-profit nursing homes for thinking about their profits over the people:

I'm sure all the workers and people that put valiant efforts to help these people, not to mention the people that died trying to help the elderly, are really appreciative of these comments. They sent COVID patients there with body bags.

Unfortunately, William is going to try and take advantage of the virus and make changes to NYC that don't need to be done, all while blaming the people that were put into a situation that they could not be prepared for and then were told to eat a shit sandwich from people like him.

My fear is he's going to try and pull a Bloomberg and run for a third term. People were stupid enough to vote or him twice...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My fear is he's going to try and pull a Bloomberg and run for a third term. People were stupid enough to vote or him twice...
I actually believe that he believes in his own BS. But there is just no way he could get elected again, is there? I man his stupidity is on mass display.

Speaking of leaders, has anyone noticed how after two months of the lockdown, Cuomo's hair remains perfect? His and any tv reporters/anchors. Hmmm.......

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
"In control" is probably bad terminology, fair.

It's more looking at trending deaths/new cases/etc. and seeing when we enter a long period of time where we get a sustained decrease and then eventual near-pause to all of that.

I think it's fair to first look at the trending overall data from across the country first, and then once we've reached that ideal state across the country, we can start to "re-open" regions of the country where potential second wave impacts will be minimal.

The US is still not at that sustained decrease/near-pause in new cases/deaths, but getting somewhat close. I think a few more weeks to mid-June, assuming these results continue, is the ideal here.
9HHxrDQ.png

iahADLo.png

The US is somewhat close...just not yet.

One thing I don’t get with these measures are “why”? Why must the cases go down? Like obviously NYC needed a pause, but at many other places?

Like either you have a flatten the curve approach or you don’t. If you don’t have a flatten the curve approach, then nobody should up for months. If you do, why these targets?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Eye-opening data Cuomo just presented that shows most new infections are in the home.

Good news -- we probably can, as I thought, manage the spread with behavior modification and don't have to live in a hole.

Bad news -- we have to be more vigilant in "safe" places and stop assuming that somebody is safe because we know them. We likely aren't doing these behavior modifications around friendly faces and it's hurting us.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Anything with "confirmed cases" needs to be in relative to the amount of tests that were administered on that day as well. You can find more cases two weeks from now, but that doesn't mean that it isn't under control. If you can begin testing people that have some lesser symptoms or it is readily available to just about anyone (which is becoming more and more the case, just not the rapid ones), how can that data be taken seriously in that context?

The raw data is great to get an understanding of how far spread it is, but the rate of infection is the information needed to determine how to proceed, as well as hospital capacities. If hospitals can take in more and more people and the rate of infection is lessening, we can begin opening things up.

Let's not even mention that the antibody tests were showing that 21% of those that took the test in NYC already had COVID. I would like to know if all of those people were those that didn't know they had it at the time. That data is the most important because it add cases to the back end and allows those to be able to get back and not have to worry about getting COVID and closer to a herd immunity type situation, which is the quickest way back to "normal".

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Would not shock me if this is somewhat consistent in the US as well. Yes, these things are all bad and nobody wants elderly, especially those that are living together to die, but the more data that is compiled, the more I'm getting the sense that re-opening is something that will happen sooner rather than later and that it will not be nearly what people are panicking about when it happens.

What needs to happen is that we need to isolate those in nursing and elderly care homes from those that are not to prevent these deaths. That will be priority #1 moving forward. Yes, grandma and grandpa may not be able to see their kids or grandkids for a while, but we'll be able to keep moving forward and they will be able to in the long run.

EDIT: There is a long running thread under that tweet and it has a lot of supporting evidence. We need to start honing in on protecting those locations the most and letting others begin to move on with their lives.

Last edited:

Metranger

May 22, 2015
I'm in Fl. and it's been 6 weeks since I hung out with any close friends. Friday is me birthday and we want to celebrate. It's likely 3-4 people who have stayed home for the most part. But, I'm nervous about it. I don't know what to do. This sucks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm in Fl. and it's been 6 weeks since I hung out with any close friends. Friday is me birthday and we want to celebrate. It's likely 3-4 people who have stayed home for the most part. But, I'm nervous about it. I don't know what to do. This sucks.

Take the precautions. Don’t let fear get the best of you. Maybe have a hang out in the driveway keep 6 feet apart with masks on. That’s what we did for my niece’s birthday.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Take the precautions. Don’t let fear get the best of you. Maybe have a hang out in the driveway keep 6 feet apart with masks on. That’s what we did for my niece’s birthday.
Yeah. I know......They have a big backyard so maybe we can all sit around. But, there will be drinking and the 6 foot rule will likely diminish in time. Friends will want to fist bump me etc.. You know what I mean...

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah. I know......They have a big backyard so maybe we can all sit around. But, there will be drinking and the 6 foot rule will likely diminish in time. Friends will want to fist bump me etc.. You know what I mean...

This virus has killed or hurt people indirectly due to depression from fear and anxiety and being isolated and quarantined . You need to enjoy yourself, just take the extra precautions and let your friends know. Keep the gathering under 6 people.

Reactions: Metranger

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eye-opening data Cuomo just presented that shows most new infections are in the home.

Good news -- we probably can, as I thought, manage the spread with behavior modification and don't have to live in a hole.

Bad news -- we have to be more vigilant in "safe" places and stop assuming that somebody is safe because we know them. We likely aren't doing these behavior modifications around friendly faces and it's hurting us.

Anecdotally I see a TON of people out exercising with friends and not being careful, using face coverings and maintaining distance, etc. It definitely seems like people have decided they're safe if they hang out with people they know and that this is something that happens to "other people"

In a perfect world where this country was on top of its shit you'd shut down to flatten the curve and have few enough cases to start contact tracing and targeted quarantine (or you'd start with that and never have to get to the shut down part) but instead we have whatever the f*** this shit is

Reactions: eco's bones

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anecdotally I see a TON of people out exercising with friends and not being careful, using face coverings and maintaining distance, etc. It definitely seems like people have decided they're safe if they hang out with people they know and that this is something that happens to "other people"

In a perfect world where this country was on top of its shit you'd shut down to flatten the curve and have few enough cases to start contact tracing and targeted quarantine (or you'd start with that and never have to get to the shut down part) but instead we have whatever the f*** this shit is
Yeah I see people wearing masks but sharing surfaces such as a frisbee or a skateboard or whatever. The surfaces are the most dangerous thing! The whole purpose of the mask is to stop droplets from getting on surfaces.

We need to make people more aware of how it actually spreads and what they're modified behavior should look like. They're willing to do it, but a lot of it is just not the right stuff.

Not going to grandma's house is so much more significant in regards to "social distancing" than sliding over when a stranger is walking down the sidewalk.

Metranger

May 22, 2015

Maybe besides NY but when is it "safe" or ok for friends to hang out with each other again safely, in small groups. We can't stay self isolated until there's a vaccine. It will be awhile until there are large amounts of testing. Hospitals are not crowded. Wasn't that the point of self isolation? To not overwhelm the hospitals? Now, many are close to going under.

I'll still talk to my 85 y.o. mom through her screen door 6 feet away with a mask on. I don't know the answer but after 6 weeks of self isolation, it seems that the safety valve can be opened a little. No?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe besides NY but when is it "safe" or ok for friends to hang out with each other again safely, in small groups. We can't stay self isolated until there's a vaccine. It will be awhile until there are large amounts of testing. Hospitals are not crowded. Wasn't that the point of self isolation? To not overwhelm the hospitals? Now, many are close to going under.

I'll still talk to my 85 y.o. mom through her screen door 6 feet away with a mask on. I don't know the answer but after 6 weeks of self isolation, it seems that the safety valve can be opened a little. No?
I think we may be approaching that point in New York. But we're going to do it baby steps because then if something's not working, you can put the clamp on it before there's too much damage.

If things continue to trend positively, people stay smart and patient, and public transit doesn't f*** us up too much, I think we'll have small gatherings sometime over the summer.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

For one people need to be aware that if things are looking "not bad now so what's the fuss" it's because we did all this effort with isolating to get to that point, not that it was just never that bad to start with. If we're not careful about how we start socializing or working then we could easily see another big spike in cases, hospitals full again, etc.

For two, we all need to remember that while technically the death rate isn't amazingly high and if you're relatively young and healthy then you're not in a high risk group, catching the disease is still a roll of the dice and maybe you're one of the unlucky ones who dies, or has major complications and lasting lung/organ/whatever damage.

Ideally I think people need to continue being safe, wearing masks, distancing when they can, being careful about washing hands, and not taking unnecessary risks, but yeah people are gonna start trying to be more social it's pretty much inevitable. Being careful while doing it may be the difference between riding the line until a vaccine or better treatment and another big spike in infections and another lockdown or wave of deaths

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think we may be approaching that point in New York. But we're going to do it baby steps because then if something's not working, you can put the clamp on it before there's too much damage.

If things continue to trend positively, people stay smart and patient, and public transit doesn't f*** us up too much, I think we'll have small gatherings sometime over the summer.

And this will inevitably serve as a barometer of sorts. Without getting mass transit under control the city will never get back to normal. Schools won't be able to stay on schedule... day care, etc.
Personally, I think NYC will be one of the last cities if not the last city to reopen without seeing more waves. I see rolling lock downs and waves happening for at least a year. Crossing fingers on a viable treatment for this.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Life must go on, people need to get back to work, need to get back to some kind of normalcy . After 9-11 there was a fear for terrorism and escalated security in a lot of places. Same thing with this, there is a fear and concern, and life habits will forever change but people need to get back to their lives. Just need to use precaution, like how people have to take their shoes off at the airport, or empty out their pockets before going into a Rangers game. It’s one or two extra steps of inconvenience that is for the greater good for everyone’s safety.

Listen, not saying to be reckless, but have to get back to living, or this thing will win the war. Even if we have to wear a face covering in public, have temperature taken, till there is a vaccine, so be it, as long as I can continue with every day life and still go to the places I love to go and do the things I love to do that gives me balance to cope with stress in my life.

Reactions: Machinehead

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Yeah. You're all right. I can see me and my buddy playing some ping pong then everyone on the grass with our favorite libation. I don't see his wife or anyone wearing masks though while drinking(or not) at their house so I'll have to enforce the distancing. I'll probably have a sense of worry the whole time. After 6 weeks, I'm going back to work next week(dentist) and even though I'll be PPE'd out, I'll worry then too. I don't know when it will be ok to completely stop worrying.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And this will inevitably serve as a barometer of sorts. Without getting mass transit under control the city will never get back to normal. Schools won't be able to stay on schedule... day care, etc.
Personally, I think NYC will be one of the last cities if not the last city to reopen without seeing more waves. I see rolling lock downs and waves happening for at least a year. Crossing fingers on a viable treatment for this.
Public transit is borderline because from what I've read, airborne spread is possible, but requires quite a bit of prolonged exposure. 15-30, maybe 45 minutes. Depending on where you get on and off the train, and how crowded it is, you may cross that threshold.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

There really isn't a national strategy when you leave it up to 50 different governors to do whatever they want or when we have people like Mitch McConnell who want to turn it to their political agenda of red vs. blue states. Meanwhile the POTUS wants to do campaign rallying. Droplets are the main spreader and packing 20 to 25K people into a venue jumping up and down, cheering and shouting is a recipe for disaster. To me it's like close to half the adult population of this country is deranged. They don't get it still and a good % of people have decided it's a hoax and/or it's all over. The numbers have been going down gradually in NYS and NYC for a while but they've been ticking up overall in the rest of the country. Anyway I don't think we're going to get this right the first time--I think there is going to be a second wave and it's going to be bigger.

I also wish people would get it out of their heads that it's only old people who die from this. As if they don't matter but also particularly in population dense areas if the hospitals get overwhelmed there are going to be all kinds of people dying.

But anyway my friends already know that we're not going to be seeing each other for a while--maybe a year or more. Sucks but it is what it is. My family (except for one sister who can't get it through her head) know it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad