OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Adhere to the rules below regarding discussion that is political in nature or you will be warned and permanently removed from this series of threads. Considering we are relaxing forum rules regarding political discussion, what steps "over the line" is completely at the discretion of the moderation team. Examples of what constitutes appropriate discourse are listed below. When in doubt, don't post it. Do not wish harm or infection on members of the public, including the press, be it an individual or network/outlet/newspaper, etc.

Do not get political. Don't say we didn't warn you.

We are going to follow similar rules for this thread that exist in the COVID-19 forum.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.

Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"

Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"

Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Here is a tracker from Johns Hopkins.

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Speaking of countries (well we were in the last thread) about countries being dishonest. Brazil is setting themselves up to be decimated by this. Bolsonaro is another world leader that you can't trust a word coming from his mouth. Their testing levels are atrocious and he just fired his health minister.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Speaking of countries (well we were in the last thread) about countries being dishonest. Brazil is setting themselves up to be decimated by this. Bolsonaro is another world leader that you can't trust a word coming from his mouth. Their testing levels are atrocious and he just fired his health minister.

Taking a look at the numbers of our neighbors to the North and to the South. As of yesterday April 16th:

Canada total cases--30,095
Canada deaths--1195

Mexico total cases--6297
Mexico deaths--486

How accurate those numbers are I don't know. There are areas in both countries that are not very population dense but Mexico City very much is.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Taking a look at the numbers of our neighbors to the North and to the South. As of yesterday April 16th:

Canada deaths--1195

Mexico total cases--6297
Mexico deaths--486

How accurate those numbers are I don't know. There are areas in both countries that are not very population dense but Mexico City very much is.

I think the key stat to look at for Brazil: 30,683 cases in only 62985 tests. 50% positive rate is ridiculous. Their total case count is far less accurate than most countries with how pathetic their testing levels are.

But, I would be very surprised if they didn't try and hide some of their final numbers when this is all said and done. So not sure we will ever know exactly how bad they get hit.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think the key stat to look at for Brazil: 30,683 cases in only 62985 tests. 50% positive rate is ridiculous. Their total case count is far less accurate than most countries with how pathetic their testing levels are.

But, I would be very surprised if they didn't try and hide some of their final numbers when this is all said and done. So not sure we will ever know exactly how bad they get hit.

I think all countries like report births/deaths per year and probably also per months to the WHO. Don’t think they can hide that.

These numbers are often fairly constant Y2Y, and deaths even more so than births that sometimes have ‘baby booms’.

If we see a big jump in death rate in 2020 vs 2019 it will not be that hard to add 2 and 2 together...

Reactions: leetch99

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I think all countries like report births/deaths per year and probably also per months to the WHO. Don’t think they can hide that.

These numbers are often fairly constant Y2Y, and deaths even more so than births that sometimes have ‘baby booms’.

If we see a big jump in death rate in 2020 vs 2019 it will not be that hard to add 2 and 2 together...

Sure, somethings might eventually come out. That won't help the people of Brazil right now though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Another thing that seems underreported — and that fundamentally is a really good aspect of course — is that warm weather definitely seem to help. The big outbreaks have been in the northern hemisphere.

Many early pointed at Iran as evidence of how warm weather might not help. But firstly, Iran’s health care isn’t half bad. A bit Cuba like, there are others with a worse rep (can’t even remotely be compared to some African nations). Many distinguished doctors etc. They will catch victims about at the same rate as European countries l.

Secondly and more importantly, Iran is under HEAVY sanctions. They — if anyone — has an incentive to report MANY cases. Help we are dying, ease the sanctions!! You get what I mean.

Secondly, almost all other big outbreaks have been in the northern hemisphere and the explosion we have feared in many less developed countries in the south haven’t occurred.

This of course bodes really well for us too as we enter warmer months.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

Canada deaths--1195

Mexico total cases--6297
Mexico deaths--486

Canada's numbers should be accurate....report just came out for our tiny province...3 cases with a total population of approximately 157,000 presently...and once was as high as 29 but 26 have recovered ...no hospitalization and we have not had any since it started actually . All cases have been from International travel ...no community spread and not deaths so far....knock on wood ! Province is basically in lock down mode via air and our bridge to PEI .Stay safe fellow Ranger fans .

Reactions: eco's bones

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You know it's funny, because the unhinged tone wouldn't normally even register at this point. But when you literally JUST released reopening guidelines? "f*** what I just said and act irrational and angry instead, until I tell you something different tomorrow!" :laugh:
Because he knows 1/3 of this country just eats that shit up and loves it for some dumb reason.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Canada's numbers should be accurate....report just came out for our tiny province...3 cases with a total population of approximately 157,000 presently...and once was as high as 29 but 26 have recovered ...no hospitalization and we have not had any since it started actually . All cases have been from International travel ...no community spread and not deaths so far....knock on wood ! Province is basically in lock down mode via air and our bridge to PEI .Stay safe fellow Ranger fans .

I have the sense that both our bordering neighbors were a lot more intelligent in responding to this crisis and so have been able to contain the virus so much better. It helps when you have rational leadership at the top. Here it's pretty much up to 50 different governors to figure it out and that's why some are coordinating with each other because there is no real national strategy--that's been missing. And 50 different governors could do 50 different things and probably some of them will.

Reactions: leetch99 and nyr2k2

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
New NYC COVID cases barreling towards zero:

6veVQME.jpg

COVID-19: Data - NYC Health

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I live in MD. We haven't seen any dip. New cases and deaths, were holding steady or increasing each day. Governor Hogan, who is usually a dipshit but has been great through this, said that we won't begin to "reopen" until we have 14 consecutive days of decreasing new cases. I wouldn't expect him to stick to that to the letter (like if we're at 42 cases one days and 43 the next, but then down to 30 and continuing downward), but I like the concept in general.

The schools were just closed until at least May 15, which I'm fine with. I've been home for I think five weeks? My wife has been doing partial telework for three weeks as she is essential (police department), but her union negotiated a deal with the county where she was able to submit a note about me--I'm not immunocompromised but a medication I take, Humira, is an immunosuppressant--and now she will be working from home for the foreseeable future. So I have the teenager and my wife, and our almost-5YO daughter. The little one could go to her Pre-K program if we wanted, because my wife is essential, but that seems like a horrible idea given we're both home. My elderly mother is by herself about 35 minutes away, already lonely from my dad's passing in October. We do social distancing visits but it upsets my little one because she doesn't understand and wants to hug Gran. It all sucks.

I figure I'm home for four more weeks, minimum. Very tired of it. I can't complain though, I feel awful enough because I got a promotion the week before we left and so many people are out of work. My complaints are trivial. I just hope we all hang in there and a viable treatment emerges soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad