OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Hate Dolan with a passion. Wouldn't wish the bad side of this condition on anyone, even Dolan.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
If anybody is going to die from COVID-19 it's a guy like Dolan. I don't wish it for him, hope he comes through (and sells the Knicks & Rangers)

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
AEBFA6BB-F4E8-49E7-B258-2486DBF331D5.jpeg

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We've heard about flattening the curve but I think there's a different curve at play here:

Coronavirus.png

(Not my work)

Most viruses exist on this curve. The deadlier they are, the harder they are to catch. The more infectious, the less dangerous. The common cold is nearly literally impossible to avoid but carries an almost negligible mortality. The recent ebola outbreak had a massive mortality rate but ended at just over 28,000 cases world wide, a number the coronavirus has soared past.

It mutated in such a way that it found itself off the curve. That's why things are the way they are. We got really unlucky. The good news is, it's going to mutate again eventually, and it's extremely likely that this mutation will make it weaker.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Serious question as I’m curious. This isn’t the first scare of a pandemic like this ever. I’m pretty sure it’s not up to the federal govt to stockpile masks and ventilators, etc. Is that state mandated as far as how many each hospital should have? What about the number of beds within each hospital?

I understand the federal govt is supposed to support each individual state in times of crisis but where was the planning for something like this? Shouldn’t that have been done at the state level?

Especially in a place like NY where things can get really bad really fast. There are so many possibilities: pandemic, germ warfare, terrorism to name a few. Instead Cuomo was focused on paying for dreamers college and releasing dangerous criminals back into society. It’s amazing the taxes we pay for a million different programs while we are unprepared for something like this and our infrastructure crumbles. Of course, you can say the exact same about the Feds but I expect more from NY.

I like to think of it as a partnership. The state should be well stocked but also get outside help from the federal government as well to reinforce. An obvious target like NYC should be prepared better than any other place in the USA if you ask me. We are an obvious target for everything.

It’s sad how divisive politics has become. If you hate Trump then blame the Feds. If you like Trump then blame the States and Obama for not replenishing masks and such. In the end our state wasn’t prepared and Trump has been failing to be that steadying unifying presence that we need. It’s crazy that with all of this going on everyone is still hyper focused on Trump and Kate Beckinsale. Speaking of which, I’d gladly be hunkered down with her in quarantine and praying for it to last a loooong time.

Last edited:

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
We've heard about flattening the curve but I think there's a different curve at play here:

Coronavirus.png

(Not my work)

Most viruses exist on this curve. The deadlier they are, the harder they are to catch. The more infectious, the less dangerous. The common cold is nearly literally impossible to avoid but carries an almost negligible mortality. The recent ebola outbreak had a massive mortality rate but ended at just over 28,000 cases world wide, a number the coronavirus has soared past.

It mutated in such a way that it found itself off the curve. That's why things are the way they are. We got really unlucky. The good news is, it's going to mutate again eventually, and it's extremely likely that this mutation will make it weaker.
This Times article has a nice version of the above, along with a good primer on the topic.

I'll just put the graphic here.
covid19comparison.png

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just got an alert that Dolan tested positive for COVID.

showing little to no symptoms which is good.

I know a lot of people don't like Dolan--I was kind of there a while back. For one thing I'm not a fan of billionaires to begin with. That said he's first class in to the players on his teams. He also does a lot of good stuff. A friend of mine who is now a retired firefighter (als0 a Bruins fan) traveled as part of an entourage with another fireman (who was a Rangers fan and dying from cancer) and his family from upstate New York to games at MSG and they were put up in hotels, watched games from luxury boxes, met players---the whole nine yards gratis by the Rangers and the Rangers kept up with that family throughout that ordeal--even donating stuff for charity auctions. The Rangers have a lot of outreach all over NYS and do go to considerable effort with it. So I for one have no problem wishing Dolan the best.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
You should be ok.

Wash your hands like crazy when you come home. Don't touch your face from the time you leave till after you wash your hands. Don't stand around near anyone just in case.

I'm calling ahead of time to see if they have what I need, and then asking them if I can just grab it and run lol

I appreciate the concern from you guys, though. thank you.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
In positive news:

Abbott Laboratories is unveiling a coronavirus test that can tell if someone is infected in as little as five minutes, and is so small and portable it can be used in almost any health-care setting.

The medical-device maker plans to supply 50,000 tests a day starting April 1, said John Frels, vice president of research and development at Abbott Diagnostics. The molecular test looks for fragments of the coronavirus genome, which can quickly be detected when present at high levels. A thorough search to definitively rule out an infection can take up to 13 minutes, he said.

Source: Abbott Launches 5-Minute Virus Test for Use Almost Anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad