OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Part II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The curve looks very bad in the US the coming weeks. It is somewhat bettter here right now, but things can change. I hope all of you remain safe and healthy. These are crazy times. Sending a potion of strength, love and hope to everyone on this forum. We will need it. Both now and during the painful aftermath of the coming reset.

Hope you are staying well.

An important message in the States will be that the benefits of Stay At Home will not be seen for another 1-3 weeks. The increasing cases over the next week or so were already baked in before heightened measures were implemented. Stay At Home will be effective if we have patience.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think we'd be much better prepared to handle this if we had an M4A health care system. People would all be on the same page and it would be much easier for people to navigate the system and the system to connect with them. Everyone covered and everyone (both users and medical personnel) more or less with the same playbook and at least most of the price gouging curtailed. One of my main issues with Biden is he has his bad days and them sometimes some better days but on his bad days he looks and sounds like he belongs in an assisted living home--borderline dementia.
Having a M4A system would be a lot better for people financially, but I don't think it would help the root of the problem the US and other countries are having, which is delaying quarantines/shutdowns and lack of preparation with supplies.

That being said, at least in the US, I guess people would take quarantining more seriously if their healthcare wasn't tied to their jobs. You'd still have issues because of lack/delay in preparation/quarantining (like Italy), but then again...with universal healthcare people would be more inclined to do their quarantines quicker (like South Korea).

So you're probably right.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
229C840E-FD04-47F1-9FB5-4B3F53E9646D.jpeg

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Having a M4A system would be a lot better for people financially, but I don't think it would help the root of the problem the US and other countries are having, which is delaying quarantines/shutdowns and lack of preparation with supplies.

That being said, at least in the US, I guess people would take quarantining more seriously if their healthcare wasn't tied to their jobs. You'd still have issues because of lack/delay in preparation/quarantining (like Italy), but then again...with universal healthcare people would be more inclined to do their quarantines quicker (like South Korea).

So you're probably right.

Even without a pandemic I think it is a major issue when you have about a third of your population either uninsured or underinsured. Those are people who don't go see doctors and avoid hospitals altogether. I mentioned my 63 year old financial advisor brother in an above post. I also mentioned that he wasn't one of the rich ones and that he had a major blood clot issue last year. To illuminate on him a little further he was in the hospital with his blood clots and they wouldn't release him because he didn't have a doctor nor had he seen a doctor (or a dentist for that matter) in well over 30 years. So there was a bit of a scramble to get him a doctor to okay his release from the hospital and to set up a treatment program for him--he needed prescriptions, he needed a diet plan etc. etc. So it's not just young people either.

To go further and this is only my opinion (so take it FWIW) until we have a vaccine---one that we're ready to deliver to every single person in the United States if necessary--the uninsured and the underinsured and the homeless will be the fuel to keep this coronavirus pandemic burning. Many of them will ride out their symptoms (particularly if they're not that extreme) and pass it along to people who come near them. If we had M4A a lot more people would be seeing their doctor. There wouldn't be a worry about unaffordability or possible bankruptcy. The cost of medical care in the United States is the single leading cause of bankruptcy---that's a fact. Taking that fact away would unburden a lot of people.

You are right though that there are other issues going on here--we don't have enough hospital equipment of gear in place for this.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are these actually facts? You make it sound like the media is this monolithic entity when it very much isn't. Which media outlets called Trump racist? I'm sure there were some.
You have honestly never seen the media call Trump racist?

And you can honestly say that by and large the media has been fair and impartial when it comes to reporting on him?

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
You have honestly never seen the media call Trump racist?

And you can honestly say that by and large the media has been fair and impartial when it comes to reporting on him?
When he announced the Travel ban with China Chuck Schumer took to twitter and called him a raciest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad