Coronavirus - CoVID-19 - Part 3 - Arizona is kinda open now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
of

That's the funny thing..... the media and government aren't purposely trying to scare the public. What you have is a Chicken Little mentality brought on by a couple of generations worth of people seriously lacking in common sense and "it's all about me".

It doesn't take much to stir up the sheep that make up the majority of the population. Don't think for a second they don't know that.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The media always paints the bleakest picture, barely showing a shred of optimism. How many headlines this week used the term "grave milestone" as the U.S. passed 100k dead? They could have said "deaths are well under original estimates" instead, but that would be completely out of character.
Other possible alternative headlines this week: "US daily death rate has plummeted and is less than a third of it's mid April Peak"

Daily confirmed COVID-19 deaths, rolling 3-day average

But if you only listen to the talking heads on TV, you'd think it was as bad as ever.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I hope we don't have to wait that long. I'm so tired of the panicking, hysteria, conspiracies and paranoia. Dealing with people at work already gets a lot harder when it gets hot. Layer on the government and media scaring the shit out of all the sheep and it's almost unbearable at times. If something scared me as much as some of these people seem to be scared, I'd just stay home. The general sheep would rather go out and find something to complain about. I have to keep reminding my self that I need my job. I don't want to deal with the mask bs at Costco so I just don't go. How hard is that? Some people go anyway looking for a fight. They get off on being a dick to people and the highlight of their day is writing a scathing Yelp review. I really can't stand people like that. Unfortunately that seems to be the norm instead of the exception any more.
I feel you're rant! Don't let it twist your mind though, it's not the norm, not by a long shot. Seriously, do a count if you need to, count how many people you see during a work shift, I'm guessing hundreds, maybe even thousands. Then count how many of those people you see being an asshat. At the end of the day I guarantee you'll end up with an extremely small percentage of asshats.

As much as I'm also unhappy with media (to put it mildly, I think it's mostly worthless trash), we have to do our part and stop giving these types of people so much attention. That's what they want, they're self-entitled attention whores, they make a scene because they want attention and we give it to them. They're caricatures and too often we act like they represent a large percentage of the population but they don't, not even close. The best thing we as a society can do is to simply ignore them. As they say on the internet, stop feeding the trolls.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Of course, that graph also apparently shows Spaniards coming back from the grave, so...:laugh:

20,000 cases per day....still isn't good.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel you're rant! Don't let it twist your mind though, it's not the norm, not by a long shot. Seriously, do a count if you need to, count how many people you see during a work shift, I'm guessing hundreds, maybe even thousands. Then count how many of those people you see being an asshat. At the end of the day I guarantee you'll end up with an extremely small percentage of asshats.

As much as I'm also unhappy with media (to put it mildly, I think it's mostly worthless trash), we have to do our part and stop giving these types of people so much attention. That's what they want, they're self-entitled attention whores, they make a scene because they want attention and we give it to them. They're caricatures and too often we act like they represent a large percentage of the population but they don't, not even close. The best thing we as a society can do is to simply ignore them. As they say on the internet, stop feeding the trolls.
You don't have to give the media anything, as they make up s---, or will spin it to make it sound true, and so the mass will read it. That is never going to change.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That's what I'm talking about. I think it's BS so I don't go. End of problem (plus Fry's started carrying Egg Bites. Score!). There was a guy giving the girl working at Church's Chicken shit a few weeks ago asking why she wasn't wearing gloves. I stepped up and made my order to go without any fuss and he asked me if I was worried. I told him if I was, I would cook my own chicken. f***ing moron. Why give these people busting their ass for slave wages a hard time? Cook your own damn food.
AWESOME post

Reactions: RemoAZ

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

The vast majority do ignore them. I think we can all agree they are merely annoying idiots and that is generally upsetting, that’s all. I think it’s a nice release for folks to rant, I enjoy the read... when the rant is just.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You don't have to give the media anything, as they make up s---, or will spin it to make it sound true, and so the mass will read it. That is never going to change.
I don't think taking personal responsibility for ignoring idiots is giving the media anything. Also the media is in it for the money, they will print what we want to read. If we live for the drama, they're going to provide it.

The vast majority do ignore them. I think we can all agree they are merely annoying idiots and that is generally upsetting, that’s all. I think it’s a nice release for folks to rant, I enjoy the read... when the rant is just.
Right, which is why I started with the comment about feeling his rant. I was just throwing out there that we need to constantly be mindful that these people are an extreme minority, they are not the norm. It's easy to allow yourself to get jaded otherwise and for no good reason. If you look at our polarizing discourse today, I think people are not being as mindful about as they should be.
Just my two cents of course.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just was scanning my Twitter tl and saw this trending. Points to an article that suggests CoVID-19 is possibly turning out to be a vascular disease rather than respiratory.

Reactions: MIG

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The question was a simple one. If you don’t have an answer that’s fine.
The rest of whom? The ones that are not easily duped? I really don't know what your talking about, or attempting to refer to. You originally made a broad generalization that I don't agree with, as there are many of all generations that do indeed have common sense.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nothing makes sense. None of any of this lines up with my perception of logic. NYC is ravaged. Yet homeless shelters and naval vessels get 100% contraction and 0% symptoms. Yet other people, young and fit, are dropping dead. That broadway actor lost his damn leg. He's like 32 and beautiful celebrity person with perfect health. One day it's a lung disease, the next its a blood disease. Wear a mask. Don't wear a mask. Do wear a mask. Kids are carriers. Wait maybe not. Now actually they're dying. But oh wait actually, they're fine and we never should have closed schools.

This shit is frustrating. Nobody knows anything, not even the experts, but they're all popping off, and running their mouths constantly, and nobody seems to care that it's all contradictory and flat out wrong.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Nothing makes sense. None of any of this lines up with my perception of logic. NYC is ravaged. Yet homeless shelters and naval vessels get 100% contraction and 0% symptoms. Yet other people, young and fit, are dropping dead. That broadway actor lost his damn leg. He's like 32 and beautiful celebrity person with perfect health. One day it's a lung disease, the next its a blood disease. Wear a mask. Don't wear a mask. Do wear a mask. Kids are carriers. Wait maybe not. Now actually they're dying. But oh wait actually, they're fine and we never should have closed schools.

This shit is frustrating. Nobody knows anything, not even the experts, but they're all popping off, and running their mouths constantly, and nobody seems to care that it's all contradictory and flat out wrong.

I think it demonstrates how little we know about our world and the human species. Scientists do their best, but there are still many unknowns and everything is uncertain. Case in point, you can follow all of the healthy living advice (don't smoke, exercise, perfect diet) yet still develop cancer in your 30s. Doesn't mean throw caution to the wind, but those that act like they have the perfect solution for COVID-19 are delusional and only fooling themselves. There is no perfect course of action. Carpe diem.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think it demonstrates how little we know about our world and the human species. Scientists do their best, but there are still many unknowns and everything is uncertain. Case in point, you can follow all of the healthy living advice (don't smoke, exercise, perfect diet) yet still develop cancer in your 30s. Doesn't mean throw caution to the wind, but those that act like they have the perfect solution for COVID-19 are delusional and only fooling themselves. There is no perfect course of action. Carpe diem.

Hence why diseases are so dangerous. All it takes is one mutation, and you don't know what you have. Is it the next bubonic plague? Is it the next herpes simplex 1? Is it the next common cold?

Unfortunately, we are in a world where things are so instant, that people believe that we have a firm fix on what is occurring and all of the possible impacts that this could have. There are a ton of firefighters in New York that had severely damaged lungs and organs as a result of going into a hazardous environment to clean up and find survivors from 9/11. That was nearly 20 years ago. People forget that could be cutting 5-25 years off of people's lives. Could that be the same here? Maybe and maybe not.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Remember this whenever there is a media-driven panic and/or "consensus" . Remember that when the same people that demanded you shut everything down and pay their price try to tell you we had no choice. There were plenty of qualified "real" epidemiologists with lots of questions and even open dissent. You just didn't get to hear them on the TV.

https://bitterrealities.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/agenda.jpg

It always is the same pattern: goal>create a threat> generate public opinion for action to achieve your goal

Fear is the greatest tool in their kit.

Whether it's chemical weapons, bailouts, or whatever else. Just manufacture the problem that needs your desired solution!

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Remember this whenever there is a media-driven panic and/or "consensus" . Remember that when the same people that demanded you shut everything down and pay their price try to tell you we had no choice. There were plenty of qualified "real" epidemiologists with lots of questions and even open dissent. You just didn't get to hear them on the TV.

https://bitterrealities.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/agenda.jpg

It always is the same pattern: goal>create a threat> generate public opinion for action to achieve your goal

Fear is the greatest tool in their kit.

Whether it's chemical weapons, bailouts, or whatever else. Just manufacture the problem that needs your desired solution!
TV?!? Bro, I haven’t watched a television channel apart from Hockey related content in like a decade.

rt

May 13, 2004
Im feeling the same way about the riots. Are they good or bad? I’m reading all of these conflicting opinions. I’m seeing all of these conflicting video clips. All kinds do conflicting data. I’m getting to the point where I think the answer to whether the riots are good or bad is actually, “it doesn’t matter”. All of the individuals in these riots have their individual reasons. Sometimes those reasons are in direct conflict. You can’t sum it up. All you can do is look at cause and effect. We learned that riots happen when cops do shit like that. So cops need to stop doing shit like that because none of us want riots. What else caused it? Lock downs? Unemployment? Let’s work on that. But a riot is a phenomenon.

“Cops should shoot them because they’re thugs” or “f*** the Cops, they’re a bunch of thugs” is unhelpful, identity politics bullshit. It’s like “what kind of dude do I want to be” and “how do dudes like that react to this shit”? If you’re a Punisher tattoo, lifted truck, tactical gear, cosplay guy, you know what to do to be the hero of your story. If you’re a nose ring, spray painted leather jacket, shopping mall anarchist antifa dork, you know what to do to be your own hero. But it’s all nonsense. Fantasy bullshit.

The reality is that you get riots when certain tipping points are reached. And we need to figure how how to prevent them. I don’t think blaming groups of people or glorifying them helps or means anything. A lot of people are shitty. That means a lot of cops are shitty. A lot of entitled millennial cosplay warriors are shitty. A lot of black people are shitty. A lot of white people are shitty. Men and women. Rich and poor. No one group has a monopoly on shitty behavior.

Reactions: MIG and Grimes

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There is no solution, we live life, we all die some day. Cancer in your thirties is pretty rare so is dying of Covid. There are always unknowns, but we wear seat belts and have airbags when driving a car, it makes the odds better, same thing with a healthy diet and exercise, we know that makes your odds way better as well. Play the odds and rely on your own judgements to save yourself.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad