Coronavirus - CoVID-19 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Of course it's no brainer and it's not even remotely scoffed at by the vast majority of people and that absolutely includes those in the scientific community.
Do you have any reading material that proves this vast majorities beliefs? Of course I would need to deem the validity of any author's credibility. :laugh:

Reactions: cobra427 and doaner

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Oh I'm sure there's plenty of literature but there is not plenty of evidence. As for researching, the burden of proof lies with the one who made the claim. That said if you actually have some evidence I'd love to read it but of course I'll preface that by saying it needs to come from a credible source.

Oh ok, I rescind my comment then, I thought you were talking about Whole Foods the grocery store. My bad and thanks for clarifying.

As for Whole Paycheck, I agree it has better quality but I'm not sure it's enough to justify the cost but that's a whole different discussion.

Then we can also say that your immune system will handle it whether you're healthy or not. Also we don't know what the death rate is yet.
Ok you win, eat crappy, buy your vitamins at target, and pretend the death rate is more than is actually is (sub 1%), wait for a vaccine or ventilator(they aren't working) to bail you out of your poor lifestyle, the choice is yours:) And..... you can believe your immune system will work no matter how crappy you treat your body too!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Do you have any reading material that proves this vast majorities beliefs? Of course I would need to deem the validity of any author's credibility. :laugh:
I know cause asking that people provide a source for seemingly bullshit claims is so dumb right!!!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ok you win, eat crappy, buy your vitamins at target, and pretend the death rate is more than is actually is (sub 1%), wait for a vaccine or ventilator(they aren't working) to bail you out of your poor lifestyle, the choice is yours:) And..... you can believe your immune system will work no matter how crappy you treat your body too!
I haven't advocated for an unhealthy lifestyle even once in this thread, in fact I've done exactly the opposite, yet here you are yet again trying to stuff ignorant words into my mouth. I mean I get it, projecting an absurd stance onto me and then attacking that is a lot easier than backing up your own claims but it's pretty damn disingenuous.

I have to believe you're capable of understanding that just because someone questions the efficacy of taking vitamin pills to fight Covid-19 it does not mean they endorse living an unhealthy lifestyle. Therefore it would seem you're being petty on purpose.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Huh?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
falsedillema.gif

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I haven't advocated for an unhealthy lifestyle even once in this thread, in fact I've done exactly the opposite, yet here you are yet again trying to stuff ignorant words into my mouth. I mean I get it, projecting an absurd stance onto me and then attacking that is a lot easier than backing up your own claims but it's pretty damn disingenuous.

I have to believe you're capable of understanding that just because someone questions the efficacy of taking vitamin pills to fight Covid-19 it does not mean they endorse living an unhealthy lifestyle. Therefore it would seem you're being petty on purpose.
I'm not the one being petty:) I'm promoting a healthy lifestyle supported by experts that understand what that really means. Don't take vitamins then, its your choice.

Reactions: doaner

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
There is plenty of literature and evidence for vitamins C/D/Zinc, you need to look harder. Whole foods means from whole foods (fruits/veggies/etc), not a specific grocery store. Generally speaking the quality is better at "whole foods the grocery store" than at Target/Wallmart, etc.. It is indeed like any other virus to your body and yes your immune system will handle it, which is why the death rate is under 1% thankfully.

You haven't provided any backup evidence for your statements. "Like any other virus" is certainly the most nonsense one, in fact this is a new type of coronavirus, which humanity had no contact with previously. SARS-CoV-1 (which was a similar type of coronavirus) killed around 10% of the infected, was it also like any other virus? What about HIV, is it also a matter of eating your vitamins and zinc and you'll be fine? I'm a bit tired of this simplistic "eat well, exercise" and you'll survive, when it's probably age and genetics that are the primary factors that determine whether a person survives or not.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm not the one being petty:) I'm promoting a healthy lifestyle supported by experts that understand what that really means. Don't take vitamins then, its your choice.
You're not an expert and so far the only evidence you've provided is yourself. Furthermore I actually do take vitamins, I just don't imbue them with magical Covid killing properties. Now you see what I did there with that last sentence, I twisted your words to make your stance sound extra absurd, sort of like what you keep doing to me. That's being petty.

There are plenty of bullshit claims backed by science (big Pharma).
I'm sure there are but their numbers pale in comparison to the bullshit claims backed by randos. You're comparing a puddle to the ocean.

Reactions: Kaizen

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't think anyone here has proposed that vitamin and mineral supplements are a foolproof barrier to COVID-19, only that certain micronutrients benefit the immune system, and thus provide better odds at fighting off the virus. Here is a recent peer-reviewed study out of Italy that concludes:

• Further study needed (I'll put this upfront so as not to be accused of cherry-picking :D)
  • Vitamin C supplementation reduces the duration and severity of the common cold (CC). (coronavirus is one cause of common cold)
  • Zinc may shorten the duration of colds by approximately 33%.
  • Vitamin D protected against CC overall.

Self-Care for Common Colds: The Pivotal Role of Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, and Echinacea in Three Main Immune Interactive Clusters (Physical Barriers, Innate and Adaptive Immunity) Involved during an Episode of Common Colds—Practical Advice on Dosages and on the Time to Take These Nutrients/Botanicals in order to Prevent or Treat Common Colds

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
A well argued and reasonable take on Covid-19 and flattening the curve.

Can We Discuss Flatten-the-Curve in COVID19? My Eight Assertions
The author seems to make a huge leap in that the reported correlation of death to the poor is due to the poor not working from home. A similar leap would point to the poor not having adequate nutrition.
Point being, nobody really knows squat, to date. I haven’t been a cattleman for years now - I can’t find a horse high enough to mount up and look down on the opinions of others.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You haven't provided any backup evidence for your statements. "Like any other virus" is certainly the most nonsense one, in fact this is a new type of coronavirus, which humanity had no contact with previously. SARS-CoV-1 (which was a similar type of coronavirus) killed around 10% of the infected, was it also like any other virus? What about HIV, is it also a matter of eating your vitamins and zinc and you'll be fine? I'm a bit tired of this simplistic "eat well, exercise" and you'll survive, when it's probably age and genetics that are the primary factors that determine whether a person survives or not.
I believe genetics has much to do with everything, but without a healthy immune system you can't fight the different diseases we have even if you take the vaccines, vitamins etc. You might think eating well, exercise is simplistic but living a healthy life is your first step to help your immune system fight these diseases. God helps them who help themselves.There are diseases that the immune system and the scientists can't stop and probably never will.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The author seems to make a huge leap in that the reported correlation of death to the poor is due to the poor not working from home. A similar leap would point to the poor not having adequate nutrition.
Point being, nobody really knows squat, to date. I haven’t been a cattleman for years now - I can’t find a horse high enough to mount up and look down on the opinions of others.

I don't get the poor thing either. He cites a study on the poor having lower life expectancy, which the study concluded was due to higher rates of smoking, obesity, and lower rates of exercise. If more poor are dying from COVID-19, perhaps the same reasons apply.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don't get the poor thing either. He cites a study on the poor having lower life expectancy, which the study concluded was due to higher rates of smoking, obesity, and lower rates of exercise. If more poor are dying from COVID-19, perhaps the same reasons apply.
Personally, as a poster on forum 40 without any credentials, or optics to back up my opinion, except my 57 years of experience on this earth (disclaimer? check!); I would lean toward the conditions the study you mentioned cites. I would also think that a lack of nutrition could play a role greater than any lack of healthcare. Again I have no "scientific" studies to sway any would be readers of this posters post, it is merely my opinion.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The poor are also more likely to be found living in densely populated urban centers, some of them in essential services that increase their exposure chances. I don't think there's a single reason, and I'm sure if you asked the author, he'd agree

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The poor are also more likely to be found living in densely populated urban centers, some of them in essential services that increase their exposure chances. I don't think there's a single reason, and I'm sure if you asked the author, he'd agree
An excellent point as well. Interesting though when you consider the "Boston 25" read (that I believe you posted) about the homeless there not contracting. I'll note that study would also fly in the face of nutrition theories. Like I said we don't really know squat at this point..... with the above disclaimers of course.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
None of this makes any sense. Entire homeless shelters infected without symptoms. Entire naval vessels the same way. Yet NYC is burning. Front-line doctors everyday telling horror stories of the way the disease just destroys human beings, families, and communities. Then stories about how thousands of prisoners in the mid-west had it and not so much as sneeze or wet fart. What-the-f***?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad