Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I have to laugh will all this talk about free this and free that and young people taking a pay cut to have a less stressful job. Does quality of life matter any more? My job is stressful most days with the amount of work I have to do but I wouldn't change it. The money is too good and it pays for how I like to live my life.

I love being able to go out to eat, travel and go to hockey games. I know right now that's not all possible but my point is that more and more it feels most people would rather take a lower paying, less stressful job then have a life.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Imagine thinking its radical and crazy that people should be entitled to essential medication and a roof over their head.

Universal pharmacare also is a lot cheaper than what the average Canadians already pare for drugs because the government has a better bargaining position since they would buy in bulk. We'd end up saving money. It would literally save Canada billions of dollars. You ask how we pay for it? Well we already pay for it and then some out of pocket.

But of course we have the naysayers here who oppose it because they're either well off or don't pay for prescription drugs

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I have to laugh will all this talk about free this and free that and young people taking a pay cut to have a less stressful job. Does quality of life matter any more? My job is stressful most days with the amount of work I have to do but I wouldn't change it. The money is too good and it pays for how I like to live my life.

I love being able to go out to eat, travel and go to hockey games. I know right now that's not all possible but my point is that more and more it feels most people would rather take a lower paying, less stressful job then have a life.
I'm glad I have simple tastes and the more freedom I have the better life is. I can take care of myself and my wife and to an extent even help my adult children. Sure I could have continued working and made more money but eventually you have to decide when enough is enough. Sadly there are people who work day and night until the day they die, they never have enough.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012

I guess it depends on your definition of quality of life. (just generalizing here) If you want to work 12 hour days live in a 1.5M townhouse in the inner suburbs, eat out 3 times a week, attend Leaf games and go to 5 star resorts all the power to you.

My friend group is doing the same judging and its pretty funny. Some judge me and a few others friends who said F that and moved to rural Ontario to own land and work less but enjoy being outdoors, no uber, no door dash, no big time fancy restaurants. I also travel multiple times to US for NFL and College games. I also go to Asia every few years with the wife and enjoy the sites and sounds and stay at medium priced hostels/hotels for the same price as a 5 star Caribbean resort.

I wont judge you, but you started your response putting me down by saying your quality of life is better. Which to me it is not.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Depends on your definition of having a life. If you think having expensive cars, $5000 couches is having a life than so be it. I would much rather make less money, work less and spend quality time doing the things I like with the people I care about. I still have enough money to vacation, go to the odd sporting event, although pre Covid I can go to a Bisons game for dirt cheap compared to MLB. I don’t have a fancy house or fancy things but I couldn’t care less about that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

To each his/her own ... I am like you in that I want more ... but you have to take on either a high stress job or take an investment risk to get that life ... most people start/chose a steadier path with a normal job paying average wages ... it comes right down to your risk appetite ... and we need both types of people to function ... you can't run a successful business without sales, purchasing, accounting, R&D, accounting, admin type jobs ... and some of those jobs require higher risk people who can create so they will get more ... my guess once everything settles back to normal not much will change but on our path there people likely take the less risky path as there have been and will be lots of losses past year with reduced revenues

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

On the flipside, some may come a point in their life where one realizes that money isn't the be all and end all. When I was younger I was of the mindset of being a huge "roller" who had lots of money to have the fancy house, multiple recreation properties in different parts of the world, nice cars, etc. But as I've gotten older, I've noticed that if one doesn't have their physical or mental health (the latter is a huge factor), is stressed to the max, works so much they barely get a chance to see and enjoy their kids, etc. -- then really, you're not really living that quality of a life. There are certain things money can't buy. I do think it buys happiness. It doesn't buy time however.

Give me the simple, lower paying, lower stressful job and that quality of life where the simple things count, than always on the go, stressed to the max, not sleeping properly popping headache medication each day, just go I can enjoy a steak at a fine dining restaurant or have courtside seats to the Raptors game. There are been far too many family members and some friends whose lives were cut well before their expiry date, and it makes you re-evaluate things.

Everyone just has different thoughts and moral compasses on life. Would I love to be able to enjoy some of the greater things in life? Sure. At times I am envious seeing what others have that I know I will never have -- I think most of us are that way. Am I one who would also spiral into a dark hole and likely have a heart attack from the stress involved with doing so? Sadly, yes.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When it comes to living your life, it is all up to you.
I don't think it is wrong whichever you choose.
But what I find annoying are people who wants to live at certain lifestyle but won't put in the efforts and works behind it then complain about this and that.
Maybe I am one of the unlucky ones, where it seems like the more stressful the job means more income.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Pretty sure everyone gets it. They claw it back based on income. Not everyone gets GIS.

I'm holding out for UBI though. Wish we had all this when I was young. UBI, dental, medical, daycare, pharma, optical, rent subsidies, f'in eh. Sounds like a dream come true and it's all free!

And the thing is there is enough for everyone. But there isn't enough for everyone if a few hoard the majority of the resources.

Everyone over 65 can apply for GIS and OAS, but the means test is quite different, and if you're getting GIS you likely need it.
Well, that isn't completely true, a friend of mine has maneuvered his money so that he can get GIS while he's living pretty high on the hog.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You can get 50 doses of the injectable ivermectin or oral paste for around $1 per dose.

The tested use of Ivermectin being advocated for is 4 x 6mg tablets. Stromectol is the trade name for Ivermectin approved for use in Canada, it's made by Merck. Damn big pharma covering up the use of their own, more profitable drug!

Big Pharma also doesn't want you to know that you can get 5L of agricultural grade topical Ivermectin for 250 bucks. Think of how low the cost per dose is there eh?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm glad I have simple tastes and the more freedom I have the better life is. I can take care of myself and my wife and to an extent even help my adult children. Sure I could have continued working and made more money but eventually you have to decide when enough is enough. Sadly there are people who work day and night until the day they die, they never have enough.

Never understood these people. I literally work for a billionaire that still works like a dog in his 60s. I tell people all the time with a certain amount of money, no one ever sees me again.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Work/life balance is the key. My work in front line health care was(retired 6 months ago after 38 years) very stressful at times but it was also work that provided a high level of job satisfaction and could be very rewarding as well in non-monetary ways.
I don't miss the work but do miss the people I used to work with on a daily basis. I had a goal I set a long time ago to retire before I turned 60 and made it, barely:phew:and consider myself lucky to be able to do so.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Never understood these people. I literally work for a billionaire that still works like a dog in his 60s. I tell people all the time with a certain amount of money, no one ever sees me again.
These types of people don't care about money ... money is way for others to keep score ... they really just luv to work and work is their life ... i have met a couple like that and both died at work ... both had amazing families but no interest in anything else but work ... and they were happy ... so be it ... I could never understand it but one of those guys helped me find a very good investment so I have been grateful since

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The tested use of Ivermectin being advocated for is 4 x 6mg tablets. Stromectol is the trade name for Ivermectin approved for use in Canada, it's made by Merck. Damn big pharma covering up the use of their own, more profitable drug!

Big Pharma also doesn't want you to know that you can get 5L of agricultural grade topical Ivermectin for 250 bucks. Think of how low the cost per dose is there eh?

Merck doesn’t market Ivermectin. They barely care because it’s now a generic drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad