Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Remember back in the 80's reading some business text and they were talking about incentives. Canadian Business Administration? whatever

Scenario was the company wanted to make financial cuts to employees.
I'll make up the numbers been a long time...

Eliminated lunch room perqs: 3% employees quit
Eliminated health benefits: 10% employees quit
Eliminated overtime pay: 12% employees quit
Eliminated wages: ...

Obviously, they were just trying to be honest about why employees work for someone and that when the argument is brought up the money isn't an incentive they're just talking out of their butts.

As for UBI, I like the idea, and have heard the discussions and really if someone really was against it and Yang suggested they could donate it.

An easier option might be to double the individual basic exemption to minimum wage amount times the normal 2,000 hours worked per year.

So right now $30,000 basic exemption, so people making minimum wage can live without needing supplements for everything.
If you find something you really enjoy doing you may do it for free. Volunteer work comes to mind. I would guess that is working for someone, for free. I use to put countless hours into work for athletic associations when my kids were growing up. Don't really know why, maybe it was a sense of contribution. Many parents thanked me but many wondered why anybody would do all that. LOL!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
That is being human and very normal ... I learned over years I really try not to compare myself anymore to anybody else ... in hockey most of my coaches and my dad used to always motivate me by saying you need to be more like X or Y ... bottom line I found I could never be what someone else wanted me to be ... so i stopped when I turned 35 ... since then I just do what I like to do ... except of course da wifey and my investment partners who exert some control over what I do

Funny you say that I had a similar life experience, it's kinda a right of passage some of us have to go through to become a happy adult, I remember a similar childhood, if I got an 80% in school , well you could have got a 85%, if I got an 90% I could have got a 95%. If I got a hit, well you could have stretched that out into a double, if I got a steal, well you could have got two. It's the culture in my family, siblings, cousins, we were all raised as what you did was never good enough. I got to a point in my life when I noticed my Mom was pulling the same its never good enough act with my kids, I said to my mom pull the same shit with my kids and she would never see them again. She did and I did , we didn't talk for over a year. I got to a point in my life where I just said to myself, be you and accept it. I did and I've never been a happier person, much more confident, a lot more cockier, arrogant at times I suppose but happy in my own skin. At the end of the day if you are miserable every day but chasing some unattainable target, what's the point?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you find something you really enjoy doing you may do it for free. Volunteer work comes to mind. I would guess that is working for someone, for free. I use to put countless hours into work for athletic associations when my kids were growing up. Don't really know why, maybe it was a sense of contribution. Many parents thanked me but many wondered why anybody would do all that. LOL!

I would absolutely drink Beer and eat Pizza for free ... :D How do I get that job?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

There's no way she knows the real timeline. And it's not her job. Her job is to present the information from a health perspective and our politicians are supposed to use this information to make the best decisions weighing ALL factors. The problem is Trudeau, Ford and Tory, etc., are just standing back and saying we need to listen to the experts. This is gutless and they aren't doing their job. They're literally hiding behind the chief medical officicers so they don't have to take any chances.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Remember back in the 80's reading some business text and they were talking about incentives. Canadian Business Administration? whatever

Scenario was the company wanted to make financial cuts to employees.
I'll make up the numbers been a long time...

Eliminated lunch room perqs: 3% employees quit
Eliminated health benefits: 10% employees quit
Eliminated overtime pay: 12% employees quit
Eliminated wages: ...

Obviously, they were just trying to be honest about why employees work for someone and that when the argument is brought up the money isn't an incentive they're just talking out of their butts.

As for UBI, I like the idea, and have heard the discussions and really if someone really was against it and Yang suggested they could donate it.

An easier option might be to double the individual basic exemption to minimum wage amount times the normal 2,000 hours worked per year.

So right now $30,000 basic exemption, so people making minimum wage can live without needing supplements for everything.

A $30k basic exemption is not UBI. One is net zero, the other is paying out. Both are completely unfair to the people that work and pay.

UBI. Only ever had 3 good ideas behind it:

- The U means universal. Everyone gets it and if you want to better yourself and make more, good for you. Our politicians aren't talking about UBI, they're talking about BI. As in, some people will get it and some people will pay for it. Patiently unfair and will explode our society eventually.

- It will replace existing inefficient government programs and bureaucracies. That will never happen. Our public sector has become an entity unto itself that has nothing to do with public service anymore. It would be civil war before these unions ever allow themselves to be cut back. Like...never. UBI will just be one more layer on top of every other safety system that I'll pay for and most others won't.

- As automation and AI continue to escalate, less and less people will have a job and we need a new system to take care of those left behind. Still a good point and the only thing about UBI that ever made sense to me.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just heard J&J vaccine is finally getting FDA approval this week.
Single dose now but could be converted to double dose if studies show even better results.

eta. FDA will review on Fri Sat and then Sun and Mon the immunization council will review. It could be ready to put in arms next week

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yes, I've volunteered, youth sports, ran a condo corp, diabetes society, junior achievement ... never expected financial compensation but I had a job and didn't need the money to put food on the table.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A $30k basic exemption is not UBI. One is net zero, the other is paying out. Both are completely unfair to the people that work and pay.

A 30k basic exemption would take pressure off small business trying to pay for their staff as it would be more like working under the table except for the CPP and EI payments. Like restaurant employees who under report tips, direct pay from the client.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
A 30k basic exemption would take pressure off small business trying to pay for their staff as it would be more like working under the table except for the CPP and EI payments. Like restaurant employees who under report tips, direct pay from the client.

I edited that post before you responded, please review.

Also, an increased exemption limit reduces payroll tax but not EI and CPP.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yes, I've volunteered, youth sports, ran a condo corp, diabetes society, junior achievement ... never expected financial compensation but I had a job and didn't need the money to put food on the table.

Well there is a lot of truth to, some of us have to go out and work for money. Some have money work for them.

I meant if we had enough money that we could survive without hardship we may work for free. Although obviously, not for someone making money off us.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I edited that post before you responded, please review.

Also, an increased exemption limit reduces payroll tax but not EI and CPP.

UBI should be reflective of what it is "Universal Basic Income", so everyone gets it.

A basic exemption of 30k is just an increase of the existing basic exemption, nothing new.

Everyone gets the basic exemption today.

CPP and EI is paid today, and this doesn't change that, unless a company is breaking the law today, in which case they don't have a say in the matter. They're crooks let them move to Russia.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well there is a lot of truth to, some of us have to go out and work for money. Some have money work for them.

I meant if we had enough money that we could survive without hardship we may work for free. Although obviously, not for someone making money off us.

Definitely some of us would go weird in the head if we weren't doing something of perceived value.

Reactions: Confucius

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just heard J&J vaccine is finally getting FDA approval this week.
Single dose now but could be converted to double dose if studies show even better results.

eta. FDA will review on Fri Sat and then Sun and Mon the immunization council will review. It could be ready to put in arms next week

The way Canada is reviewing we'll get it by September.

I suppose we can blame Trudeau for not having a medical degree and getting it done sooner.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The way Canada is reviewing we'll get it by September.

I suppose we can blame Trudeau for not having a medical degree and getting it done sooner.

Why does Canadian agencies have to review it at all, after the FDA approves it?

Are our standards any different? You’d think that in a pandemic that’s killed tens of thousands and shut down parts of our economy for a year, we could align with our neighbour on a shared set of standards...

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
Why does Canadian agencies have to review it at all, after the FDA approves it?

Are our standards any different? You’d think that in a pandemic that’s killed tens of thousands and shut down parts of our economy for a year, we could align with our neighbour on a shared set of standards...

Well we are a different country. You are somewhat correct though that it makes no sense the US and Canada haven't approved the ones the UK and Europe did months ago. Same with JJ vaccine, Canada should approve it in the next few days or look a bit incompetent.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I have to laugh will all this talk about free this and free that and young people taking a pay cut to have a less stressful job. Does quality of life matter any more? My job is stressful most days with the amount of work I have to do but I wouldn't change it. The money is too good and it pays for how I like to live my life.

I love being able to go out to eat, travel and go to hockey games. I know right now that's not all possible but my point is that more and more it feels most people would rather take a lower paying, less stressful job then have a life.

It depends on what motivates you I suppose.

I can earn far more in a different career, or even in a different company, but I choose the freedom of having a flexible schedule that allows me to pursue other areas in life.

I don't even understand your point about having a life and equating it to having more money.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It depends on what motivates you I suppose.

I can earn far more in a different career, or even in a different company, but I choose the freedom of having a flexible schedule that allows me to pursue other areas in life.

I don't even understand your point about having a life and equating it to having more money.

I think he is getting at the point do you work to live or live to work? I love to work but I don't live to work. I know I will work the rest of my life because I'm a worker but I work where I work so my life away from work can be what I want it to be. My work supports my life, for some people their life supports their work.

For example my roommate in college, his sister and her husband drove every day from London, Ontario to Toronto, Ontario, I think its something like a 2 hour drive with no traffic, he said many days its around 3 hours each way because of traffic. 6 hours in the car + min 8 hours at work, 14 hours every day, these people their life supports their work. I can't imagine spending 14 hours per day dedicated towards work is a great quality of life.

I could take a lower paying less stressful job but I wouldn't have the lifestyle that I have if I did that. I like having a great side by side, I like having a pool table, I like having a tractor, I like having a property with acres upon acres between me and my neighbor, we have 4 cars and 2 people who drive, I have an oversized 5 car garage I like that, I like having all this stuff, I couldn't do that if I had a lower paying job. When I shut my business laptop down for the day, I disappear in my stuff and it gives me a huge amount of pride and satisfaction.

BTW you can find flexibility in a job that pays well if you find the right company, I have that and I love it, but at the same time when my company needs me I'm there, I'm on call 24.7.365. When I tell my boss, hey I'm going to the soup kitchen to volunteer my time, he knows for that day, don't call me. He supports my lifestyle and I support my company no questions asked.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Which vast contradiction?

Well, Fauci for one recently went from saying things could be back to normal in the States as early as April, to suggesting that mask wearing could carry on into 2022. Reduced capacity in stadia could start to be seen in the fall of 2021, to now saying by summer we could see full stadia again. Not to mention silly notions like wearing a mask when getting intimate with your spouse, which was further extended to wearing a mask at all times in your house.

Dr. Bogoch has had some similar missteps on both social media and on the news that you sit there and say to yourself, "You just said something completely different a couple days ago."

And all this bemoaning of the provincial government changing their tune on a daily basis in what is a rapidly changing, fluid situation, then I think the doctors (including Dr. Tam) deserve their fair share of criticism as well. In my opinion at least.

Reactions: marcsson68

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
One in SEVEN people in England have Covid antibodies from past infection or vaccination: study | Daily Mail Online

One in seven of us has Covid immunity: Almost 14% of Britons are carrying protective antibodies after being infected or vaccinated, study reveals

• Researchers said Pfizer/BioNTech jab led to strong antibody responses in people of all ages; better in young
  • Prevalence of immune proteins more than doubled over the second wave amid widespread infection and jabs
  • Study found one dose of a vaccine in a Covid survivor provides similar immunity to two doses in unaffected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad