Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012
Interesting debate now on whether Ontario should begin reopening or not. Also saw the narrative change recently that we should be going for 0 covid not just alleviating the pressure on the hospital.

While I agree 0 covid is the goal (with vaccines) it will most likely never happen as covid is now part of our yearly cycle of infections.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Interesting debate now on whether Ontario should begin reopening or not. Also saw the narrative change recently that we should be going for 0 covid not just alleviating the pressure on the hospital.

While I agree 0 covid is the goal (with vaccines) it will most likely never happen as covid is now part of our yearly cycle of infections.

Agreed, it will mutate like the Flu and there will be people who refuse to get vaccinated, this is with us for the rest of our lives. Babies will now, along with their MMR shots, get Covid-19 shots as part of their regular pretoddler shot regime.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

IMO we should strive to keep the numbers like they were in the summer. Hopefully the vaccine will get us there. It's already getting better.

Outside of vaccines, as long as they continue enforcement once businesses start opening it will go a long way for us to have a similar summer to last summer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It won't matter much once schools re-open as cases will again start to grow again ... the positivity rate of people under 17 is still over 10% and it will get worse again with school re-opening next week on da 16th ... I expect a 3rd wave in late March

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
IMO we should strive to keep the numbers like they were in the summer. Hopefully the vaccine will get us there. It's already getting better.

Outside of vaccines, as long as they continue enforcement once businesses start opening it will go a long way for us to have a similar summer to last summer.
No vaccines until end of 3rd week of February ... 4 weeks with no new vaccines ... CRIMINAL ... goes back 50 years of fed GOV incompetence

cbbb25

Jan 17, 2012

Last Summer was okay but it kind of sucked with all the rules. Im hoping for a more relaxed summer with lots more open

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Alberta Health Services:

What We Know About COVID-19 Variants of Concern
Several new “variant” strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus have been identified in Alberta and around the world. These variants are similar to, but more infectious than the strain we’ve experienced so far.
Evidence is still emerging on the effectiveness of our vaccines on these variants. It’s important to remember the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are only a few months old, just like the variants. There is much we do not yet know, though researchers around the world are investigating.
Early investigations so far appear to suggest the current vaccines may be somewhat less effective against some of the new variants, in terms of preventing all symptoms of COVID-19. However, even against the variants, these vaccines still appear to be extremely effective at preventing severe cases, hospitalizations and deaths.
Research is emerging, and there are many vaccines being developed as we speak, so we will continue to watch the emerging literature closely. This is a positive sign. At the same time, it is also a reminder we all cannot simply wait for vaccines to arrive. we need to keep focused on following the measures in place and trying to limit in-person interactions whenever we can.

There is community spread of the variants, likely meaning people returning to Canada are not isolating but visiting friends and family. Too bad they couldn't lock these people down and lock their visitors out, spare the rest of us.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Alberta Health Services:

There is community spread of the variants, likely meaning people returning to Canada are not isolating but visiting friends and family. Too bad they couldn't lock these people down and lock their visitors out, spare the rest of us.

Yup no doubt, it's their right to not think about the effect not following pandemic protocols will have on others. They have the right to be #covidasshats

The odd reaction of a certain small portion of our population has become a commentary on how "me" our society is becoming. "Ask not what your country can do for you?" has now turned into "What's in it for me...?"

Reactions: stealth1

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Last Summer was okay but it kind of sucked with all the rules. I'm hoping for a more relaxed summer with lots more open

I'm not so sure the Fed's have any other choice, the longer this goes the more restless the people are getting. People want to blame someone and the politicians are the easy target. Right or wrong you will see more relaxed rules this summer.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Were we the only country affected but the factory "retooling"?
Well our media can't travel and clearly don't question hard ... so I guess they bought into "retooling" ... well my sister in law works for Pfizer in States and she does not have any idea about any "retooling" in either USA or Europe ... so I don't believe it all ... what I do believe is EU, USA and China are producing doses at record production levels since early fall ... and they are using doses for their own populations (which I can totally understand too) ... I just wish Trudeau would tell da truth and say to us ... look everyone had gone nationalistic in da world and each union is protecting its own first ... we sold our vaccine business to da french in 1989 and unfortunately have not invested in it since ... and although we plan on getting back into it in Montreal it won't be close to operational until da end of this year ... what da h*ll is wring with telling da truth

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
upload_2021-2-8_15-12-56.png

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well our media can't travel and clearly don't question hard ... so I guess they bought into "retooling" ... well my sister in law works for Pfizer in States and she does not have any idea about any "retooling" in either USA or Europe ... so I don't believe it all ... what I do believe is EU, USA and China are producing doses at record production levels since early fall ... and they are using doses for their own populations (which I can totally understand too) ... I just wish Trudeau would tell da truth and say to us ... look everyone had gone nationalistic in da world and each union is protecting its own first ... we sold our vaccine business to da french in 1989 and unfortunately have not invested in it since ... and although we plan on getting back into it in Montreal it won't be close to operational until da end of this year ... what da h*ll is wring with telling da truth

In a global economy, it's a dangerous game to play when you put one of your top trading partners in a difficult position. I get the Americans don't have to play nice with us but this is a two way street. Same goes for the EU we are major exporter to the EU. If they want to be protectionist, there is no reason why we have to play nice. We are one of the worlds top Oil producers, would be a shame if we decide that we needed that Oil here at home more than we need to export it or if we put a Covid relief export tax on it... we could pay for these Covid mail box money cheques pretty quickly if we did that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In a global economy, it's a dangerous game to play when you put one of your top trading partners in a difficult position. I get the Americans don't have to play nice with us but this is a two way street. Same goes for the EU we are major exporter to the EU. If they want to be protectionist, there is no reason why we have to play nice. We are one of the worlds top Oil producers, would be a shame if we decide that we needed that Oil here at home more than we need to export it or if we put a Covid relief export tax on it... we could pay for these Covid mail box money cheques pretty quickly if we did that.

I think the USofA likes Quebec electricity ...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We can't play nice and take it up dfa *ss ... but problem is we make too much oil and can't utilize all of it ... if we did we would hurt ourselves even more ... same with electricity ... all we can really do is say ok everything you guys sell to us requires a 10% gov tax duty paid before containers leave your soil until we receive what we contracted for on vaccines ... then they will do same to us and we get into a trade war ... bottom line is never fight a war you can't win ... da decision to start funding da Montreal vaccine lab should have been made in January 2020 so it had a chance to be certified and up and running now ... da Pfizer vaccine was developed in less than 2 days last January ... and it was tested in rats and it worked ... all da rest of time was running human trials which take a long time ... a great leader learns to see ahead and protect his flock ... our guy is a ski guy and teacher in way way over his head ... politics

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We can't play nice and take it up dfa *ss ... but problem is we make too much oil and can't utilize all of it ... if we did we would hurt ourselves even more ... same with electricity ... all we can really do is say ok everything you guys sell to us requires a 10% gov tax duty paid before containers leave your soil until we receive what we contracted for on vaccines ... then they will do same to us and we get into a trade war ... bottom line is never fight a war you can't win ... da decision to start funding da Montreal vaccine lab should have been made in January 2020 so it had a chance to be certified and up and running now ... da Pfizer vaccine was developed in less than 2 days last January ... and it was tested in rats and it worked ... all da rest of time was running human trials which take a long time ... a great leader learns to see ahead and protect his flock ... our guy is a ski guy and teacher in way way over his head ... politics

To end any threat to our health care system we need to vaccinated about 100,000 50 + y/o. Currently we are vaccinating ~2 million per day with the hope to get it to 3 million. Hopefully in another 30 days they’ll be real close to that number allowing us to help out other countries while also inoculating the younger age groups.
Canada has ~15 million 50+ y/o so it shouldn’t take long to get them vaccinated and stop the threat up there as well.

NHL Playoffs + Fans = Good Times.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

If you notice, they haven't been our friends for a long time now. I'm a big fan of the US but it's time they learned who their friends are again.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If you notice, they haven't been our friends for a long time now. I'm a big fan of the US but it's time they learned who their friends are again.
Jim Biden said he wants to vaccinated the people on American soil first. There’s a good chance Jim has no idea why they’re being vaccinated, but that’s what he wants.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Jim Biden said he wants to vaccinated the people on American soil first. There’s a good chance Jim has no idea why they’re being vaccinated, but that’s what he wants.

LOL, I assume you mean Joe but point taken. It goes back way further. I'm not even researching this and I can remember:

GWB saying America has no greater friend and ally than Mexico, softwood lumber tariffs, visited us once in 8 years, Obama blocking Keystone XL for 8 years while cynically building new oil infrastructure all over his country, more softwood lumber problems, steel industry problems (at least he visited us due to a family presence in my city of Burlington), Trump shit all over us the entire time he was president including Buy America, steel and aluminum tariffs, Shaftya, etc., Biden's first move was to shut down Keystone again, reinforces Buy America, no vaccines for us, Michigan gov wants to shut down Enbringe Line 5 (I hope they do, ON and QC need to finally be shocked into reality over our energy naivety), 2 men openly kidnapped by China for 2+ years now because we detained Meng at the *US's* request and they do nothing, a plane full of Canadian citizens and/or permanent residents blown out of the sky in retaliation to the killing of Iran's lead general by the *US* last year and again, they do nothing.

Quite simply, they haven't been friendly in a long time. Clinton is likely the last president that even openly spoke nicely about us. Imagine if this was our relationship in the height of the cold war? Again, they need to remember who their *best* friend is and drop the politics once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad