Coronavirus CoVID-19 Checkup Thread

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
It's time we actually have a thread. Athletes, celebrities and politicians are reporting to have contracted the virus. It's time we look after each other. Tell us your status and any loved ones you are looking after.

So far in Edmonton, nothing is being reported as being transmitted on a community basis. Even though there are 19 confirmed cases in Alberta contracted through travel. So nothing has hit me or my family yet.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
My county (Miami-Dade) just had its 1st reported case today. At my work, we have to have our temperatures taken before entering the building & if you are above 100.4 you are ordered to go home.

My issue is I work for a cruise line & am really fearful of getting laid off at some point because the industry is taking a major hit. I am also a bit nervous because I take public transportation & you just never know who you come in contact with may be infected.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
This is a great channel to get facts and makes you prepared.

I've been preparing since Jan, mostly thanks to this channel. People who think his virus is nothing serious or like the flu should check out the situation in Italy. USA and likely Canada is heading that way. Do not fear, but you should also not keep your head in the sand. Social distancing and mask wearing is very important. HK, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea are good examples here to show the rest of the world of how this could be contained. Although, it's too late for the US and Canada as lack of testing, screening, politics, etc played into it..

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I'm not saying that at all.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Hopefully I am not.
The coronavirus has a mortality rate ten times higher than the flu.
:teach:

EDIT: Also if you’re wrong, then people die, which is pretty significant.

Last edited:

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
The coronavirus has a mortality rate ten times higher than the flu.
:teach:

EDIT: Also if you’re wrong, then people die, which is pretty significant.

This virus has at least 2 strains, if not more. The one in Italy is way deadlier than the one in S. Korea. 10x seems to be the bare minimum. 34 times seems to be the average for now.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Btw, COVID 19 only has a low death rate right now because of the major lockdowns and social distancing (not to mention mask wearing) in many countries. If this was left completely unchecked like influenza, this would easily overtake the flu in terms of cases. Ironically, people practicing social distancing and better hygiene habits have greatly reduced influenza in America, HK and probably other places. The video I posted above mentions this.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I'm not saying that at all.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Hopefully I am not.

nah, if you're wrong, we have a further wrecked economy, tons of sick people, lots of dead old/sick people (f*** them, amirite?) and a hospital/healthcare system that's so stressed it could take months or even more to recover.

but we can ignore the fact that all of those with our money in the markets are losing hand-over-fist every day with the response and actions of this country. I'm sure italy was fired up to shut down its entire country for "the flu"

super hard ignorant take, friend.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
My county (Miami-Dade) just had its 1st reported case today. At my work, we have to have our temperatures taken before entering the building & if you are above 100.4 you are ordered to go home.

My issue is I work for a cruise line & am really fearful of getting laid off at some point because the industry is taking a major hit. I am also a bit nervous because I take public transportation & you just never know who you come in contact with may be infected.

Short your company's stock

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
This virus has at least 2 strains, if not more. The one in Italy is way deadlier than the one in S. Korea. 10x seems to be the bare minimum. 34 times seems to be the average for now.

The difference between Italy and South Korea is not about two different strains, it's about the different method of testing.

Korea is doing testing on a massive scale in order to contain the virus, they had already done 320.000 tests by the end of the last month. Italy had done under 50.000 with a bigger population by March 8th. It just means that Korea is picking up even the milder cases to make sure to take the right measures to stop the spread.

In Italy the testing capacities are overwhelmed, especially in the most affected regions, so the real number of cases there is actually much higher.

Unfortunately the same goes for the rest of Europe as well as many countries are still only testing people with very extreme symptoms. Around 100.000 people from Slovakia have been to Italy since mid-February and despite that so far they are only testing people who have a temperature over 38 degrees Celsius and had traveled to the affected regions and some people who were in contact with the confirmed cases. We have only 21 confirmed cases as of today (jumped up from 10 yesterday, 2 in serious condition) so far, but everyone is aware that the real numbers would tell a different story.

And in the Czech republic they have jumped over 100 confirmed cases today (2 in serious, 1 in very serious condition), but just like Slovakia they only tested very few people so far. After today, they are upping the scales of the testing a lot and over the weekend they're getting the quick test kits from China. I fear it's pretty much a given that by start of next week the number of diagnosed people will have grown significantly.

Oh, and by the way, I'm saying that they have been testing too few people in Czech republic (around 1600 tests for a nation of 10 million) and Slovakia (around 800 tests for a nation of 5 million), but actually the US with a population of 300 million had only tested 1707 people by March 7th:

EStSuVWXQAAMIo3

The thing is that at the moment no one knows how many people are really affected by the virus either in Europe or in the US.

And the response from some European countries so far is very weak and non-existent from the European Union. It's strange when you have small central/eastern European countries taking nationwide measures like closing schools and cancelling events and even stopping international transit of people sooner than Germany. It's because we have seen that Europe has done precisely nothing for Italy in their direst hour and we had to decide that closing ourselves off is the only solution.

Also, if anyone believes that Trump's ban on travel from Europe will protect the US, I fear they are mistaken. Oh, and it's funny how the ban doesn't apply to the UK where they have around 600 confirmed cases and even Boris Johnson has admitted today that the real number is up to 10.000 there.

Reactions: someguy44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad