Coronavirus CoVID-19 Checkup Thread

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
It would be nice to keep this thread to what you and your family are actually seeing and not pulling whatever from social media. This thread does not need that. We have threads for what is going on in the sports world and in the entertainment world in other forums. If you are posting stuff from politicians, please contextualise it in what it means for you and the safety of your family.

Anyways, went to the grocery store and got the recommended two weeks of food that one would need if they ever got quarantined. The lines were pretty long, even at the relatively sleepy Southgate Safeway here. But they did eventually open all the tills and the lineups did shrink so it was not as hectic as it could have been.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tp is basically gone everywhere around here, and if you do find it, well it would be cheaper to use actual legal tender bills instead.

Reactions: JMCx4

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It would be nice to keep this thread to what you and your family are actually seeing and not pulling whatever from social media. This thread does not need that. We have threads for what is going on in the sports world and in the entertainment world in other forums. If you are posting stuff from politicians, please contextualise it in what it means for you and the safety of your family.

Anyways, went to the grocery store and got the recommended two weeks of food that one would need if they ever got quarantined. The lines were pretty long, even at the relatively sleepy Southgate Safeway here. But they did eventually open all the tills and the lineups did shrink so it was not as hectic as it could have been.

Sorry about the political nature of my post, just wanted to paint a picture of how dark the situation is here in Europe for us all at the moment.

I am scared and also disappointed in my fellow countrymen. Back at the start of the week when we had the first few confirmed cases here in Bratislava, the city decided to close the schools to prevent the spread of the virus - which many people used as an incentive to take their kids on skiing trips or aquapark trips all over the country.

Personally I'm lucky that I can work from home for now (everyone in my company has been asked to do so until end of next week) and I only go out to walk my dog and get groceries to a small grocery store. But even with my life contained to two or so streets, I can see that people are not taking this seriously enough as I keep seeing large groups of kids and parents/ teens gathering.

As of this morning the government has declared an exceptional situation and there are a lot of measures in place to prevent the spread:

- all schools, kindergardens and universities will close for 14 days as of Monday
- all three international airports are closed - only cargo can travel as of tomorrow
- all international bus/train connections will stop as of tomorrow
- all borders (with the exception of border with Poland for now) will close tomorrow morning and only Slovak nationals and people with a permanent residence in Slovakia and those with a permit will be allowed entry to the country
- every Slovak citizens coming back from abroad will be subject to 14 days of home quarantine (this already applied to people who returned from Italy, China, South Korea and Iran before today, but people were lying about where they came from)
- all theatres, cinemas, church, sports and cultural events have been suspended since Monday
- tomorrow also ski centres, fitness centres, aquaparks, swimming pools etc. will be closed
- over the weekend only grocery stores and apothecaries will be open in big shoping malls

These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Sorry if it's still considered too heavy for this thread, but it's a very strange situation for me. I was born after the Iron Curtain fell, so I have no recollection of the government ever taking such extreme measures.

I mean the border to the Czech republic will be closed, I don't think this has ever happened since maybe WWII...

At the same time, I realize how needed it is, our healthcare system is in shambles and if we didn't take extreme measures we would likely be another Italy in the making.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
For those who still need to stock up on TP, reeltp added a "one time" option on their site.

Reel box - Single Purchase ...
Thanks for that inspiration. Tonight I'm gonna sneak over into my neighbor's yard under cover of darkness, and wipe my arse on his side of the freakin' bamboo hedge that he planted on our property line last year.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
So got word of my family status. A bit concerned on my older brother who is dealing with an infection in his leg and it seems to be serious. That paired with his smoking it is making me concerned how he will fair. My other siblings are better situated with strong lungs but my oldest brother has diabetes but it is well managed currently.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Last night I went dancing for what I will expect to be a long time. The ballroom had reduced capacity from its normal 200 to 75. There was at most thirty dancers there and solo dancing was encouraged. There is uncertainty as to whether corona is spreading in the community in Edmonton but as the question was up in the air, I took up that opportunity for one last night.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Death toll in Italy is a complete disaster. :(

America is next. We'll see if we did any better with our impressive travel bans, since apparently that's the only thing we need to contain this thing.

It's not like, you know... already here or anything.

deepdark

Sep 27, 2015
Subwoofer
America is next. We'll see if we did any better with our impressive travel bans, since apparently that's the only thing we need to contain this thing.

It's not like, you know... already here or anything.

I agree, the big wave is still coming.
Y'all need good luck and discipline..

Greetings from locked down Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad