Coronavirus and WHC

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What is going on with you guys in Europe and Russia?

No WHC as a potential outcome of this Asian flu? What in the actual ****?

The WHC will happen and Canada will win Gold against Russia. Get this figured out, our annual hockey world tradition in Europe amongst the global hockey powers is not getting canceled.

Especially given the time period that the WHC is played (Victory Day in Russia, etc.). This tournament helps keep open the sporting dialogue between North America and Europe. Specifically it reaffirms the hockey bonds and friendship between Canada and Russia.

If it does get cancelled, then maybe we need to have the IIHF headquartered in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaro

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I guess they are thinking of cancelling just for the players at this point.

If Switzerland cancels the WHC at this globally critical time, then we’ll see a ripple effect that won’t be expected in the hockey world.

Don’t give the NHL a reason to not allow their best players to compete against each other.

Canada and Russia specifically are hurt by this. We are the two global hegemonic hockey powers and hockey is used as a vehicle to reaffirm our cultural connections to each other.

Hockey competition in Europe cannot be cancelled because of this Coronavirus. The WHC is played during an important time in Europe, as I mentioned during Victory Day for Russians.

While Russia is Canada’s biggest rival and foe, we still bond over being allies together in WW2 (as seen by coach Peters wearing St. Andrews Cross celebrating Victory Day last time we had the WHC in Russia).

This hockey event, and especially the time period it’s played during matters. I’m a diehard Canadian hockey fan but I know how important this European tradition is to our game.

If Switzerland cancels, then turn over the IIHF headquarters to Canada.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
IIHF. It won't be cancelled.

Better not.

Quickest way to have Canadian ire rain down in a Scottish blood feud type wrath would be to cancel the IIHF World Championship.

Essentially, we’d likely try to take control over the IIHF from the Swiss should the Spring IIHF be cancelled.

It’s an important time of year and with extra TSN coverage in recent years, it’s become an important event on the Canadian hockey calendar. I’m sure Finns like yourself share this passion.

Put bluntly: if the Swiss cancel the IIHF WHC, then they should expect the IIHF headquarters being annexed from them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Better not.

Quickest way to have Canadian ire rain down in a Scottish blood feud type wrath would be to cancel the IIHF World Championship.

Essentially, we’d likely try to take control over the IIHF from the Swiss should the Spring IIHF be cancelled.

It’s an important time of year and with extra TSN coverage in recent years, it’s become an important event on the Canadian hockey calendar. I’m sure Finns like yourself share this passion.

Put bluntly: if the Swiss cancel the IIHF WHC, then they should expect the IIHF headquarters being annexed from them.

I don't think you understand how IIHF works...

Also, if the Swiss continue to ban mass gatherings of over X number of people past the mid-March deadline, only then will the IIHF cancel the tournament.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think you understand how IIHF works...

Also, if the Swiss continue to ban mass gatherings of over X number of people past the mid-March deadline, only then will the IIHF cancel the tournament.

Without Canada, the IIHF is meaningless (like when they tried to ban Canada in the 1970s).

Anyways, the IIHF doesn’t hold jurisdiction over Canadian hockey. And it never will.

Hopefully they figure this public gathering ban out. The IIHF WHC cannot be cancelled. That’s my point coming from the true heartland of hockey.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What's the meaning then?

If without Canada the IIHF is meaningless (because Canada is the global hegemonic hockey power, with Russia as our greatest rival and friend), then ________.

Figure out the syllogism on your own.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
If without Canada the IIHF is meaningless (because Canada is the global hegemonic hockey power, with Russia as our greatest rival and friend), then ________.

Figure out the syllogism on your own.
Blah blah enough about this Russia Canada hegemonic. Ok i Get it Canada IS still best in hockey, but Russia isnt arguably Even top 4 atm and doest look to Be for next7~ years. USA SWE and FIN are stronger better hockey cultures now.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Without Canada, the IIHF is meaningless (like when they tried to ban Canada in the 1970s).
ummm, what? Canada withdrew and had to be enticed to return. Having a tantrum and refusing to play is not being banned. Might have stayed out of IIHF if Sweden did not join them for the 76 Olympics.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Better not.

If the IIHF cancels the WHC, Canadians will understand this reasonable decision tied to health concerns, because we're not a bunch of unhinged f***ing lunatics.

I'm not sure what's crazier, the idea that Canadians are that emotional about the WHC, the idea that Canadians' hockey-watching habits would affect such a decision, or the idea that Canada can just "annex" an international sport governing body.

If the WHC is cancelled for force majeure, too bad. People that bought tickets will be reimbursed and I'm sure Canadians will be able to find something worthwhile to do during their May afternoons. However you feel about COVID-19, it has graver implications than knowing which country is better at pushing a piece of rubber around with a stick.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to Fasel, the IIHF wants to play the IHF Worlds in Switzerland. But they consider the Russian city of Sochi and Belarus (Minsk) for relocation. And yeah, NHLers might not be allowed to participate.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
According to Fasel, the IIHF wants to play the IHF Worlds in Switzerland. But they consider the Russian city of Sochi and Belarus (Minsk) for relocation. And yeah, NHLers might not be allowed to participate.

That's a supposition/possibility raised by Fasel (due to C-Vid), right?

(Your post sort of reads like the NHL'ers wouldn't be allowed to participate because of the relocation to Sochi/Minsk, and that definitely doesn't sound like something anyone would say).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That's a supposition/possibility raised by Fasel (due to C-Vid), right?

(Your post sort of reads like the NHL'ers wouldn't be allowed to participate because of the relocation to Sochi/Minsk, and that definitely doesn't sound like something anyone would say).
Sorry for not being precise..

Yes, it is due to that virus. The IIHF considers various options. That Kummola guy claimed that the IIHF even considers lowering the number of teams, but Fasel refused it as nonsense.

Regarding NHLers. It is due to that virus, it has nothing to do with possible relocation. Sorry for the misinformation. Simply, Fasel sees some risks with NHL (see Olympics, you can not predict NHL´s decision). He added: "there could be a situation that some team/s will refuse to participate." If I know some country in lower tiers refuse to participate, so Fasel can not omit such a scenario at the top level too.

The main message is that the IIHF wants to organise it even if the IIHF is forced to relocate it. They do not want to play at empty rinks like the Swiss´ National League.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Sorry for not being precise..

Yes, it is due to that virus. The IIHF considers various options. That Kummola guy claimed that the IIHF even considers lowering the number of teams, but Fasel refused it as nonsense.

Regarding NHLers. It is due to that virus, it has nothing to do with possible relocation. Sorry for the misinformation. Simply, Fasel sees some risks with NHL (see Olympics, you can not predict NHL´s decision). He added: "there could be a situation that some team/s will refuse to participate." If I know some country in lower tiers refuse to participate, so Fasel can not omit such a scenario at the top level too.

The main message is that the IIHF wants to organise it even if the IIHF is forced to relocate it. They do not want to play at empty rinks like the Swiss´ National League.

Fair enough.

I do wonder if individual teams could have a say in whether one of their players go to the WHC (as opposed to the NHL).

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Fair enough.

I do wonder if individual teams could have a say in whether one of their players go to the WHC (as opposed to the NHL).
Perhaps, you mean NHL team by "individual teams" So, I do not know.

By "team refuse to participate" I mean the national team (Sweden, Finland, Germany etc). Just to be precise.

Fasel also said one interesting information about the Swiss´ NL. He claims that if the Swiss government ban sporting events for another (at least) two weeks - so without fans, the NL might cancel their playoffs. They have already postponed the playoff for a week. We will see.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Perhaps, you mean NHL team by "individual teams" So, I do not know.

By "team refuse to participate" I mean the national team (Sweden, Finland, Germany etc). Just to be precise.

Fasel also said one interesting information about the Swiss´ NL. He claims that if the Swiss government ban sporting events for another (at least) two weeks - so without fans, the NL might cancel their playoffs. They have already postponed the playoff for a week. We will see.

Of course.
Example : The Canadiens refusing Brandon Gallagher and Jeff Petry to go to the WCH due to C-Vid. (But not refusing, say, Romanov doing so, as Romanov isn't under contract)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I didn't know if it were possible on this site for a poster to make less and less sense the more he/she posts but...

Russia now cited as relocation possibilities? That’s the new news coming to Canada from Europe today?

Do my hegemonic discussions still not make sense?

The IIHF WHC continues. If Russia has to handle the logistics for a tournament relocation they’ll do fine.

Canada and Russia have organized worse logistics than this. This tournament continues on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad