Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I suspect it will but...it's not really going to be the same. Even the best broadcasting and production crews aren't going to be able to amplify the intensity of a playoff crowd. Players will get used to that and circumstances will still make it highly competitive but it's likely to be bad hockey initially (and probably rather weird entertainment as well).

It's not that I don't want hockey back to watch--of course I do--but it's just hard to imagine it in such a highly managed (and seemingly limited) fashion.

Cover the seating area with a tarp/screen that shows reactions of fans who are at home and have logged in to a website that allows the network to show them watching the game and reacting.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I suspect it will but...it's not really going to be the same. Even the best broadcasting and production crews aren't going to be able to amplify the intensity of a playoff crowd. Players will get used to that and circumstances will still make it highly competitive but it's likely to be bad hockey initially (and probably rather weird entertainment as well).

It's not that I don't want hockey back to watch--of course I do--but it's just hard to imagine it in such a highly managed (and seemingly limited) fashion.

I’ve watched behind closed door matches in Euro soccer. It’s fine. You can hear the players and coaches yelling. I found it fascinating the few soccer matches I’ve watched (On tv) that were behind closed door.

different yep, unwatchable or not entertaining....nope.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Ford can engineer exhaust sounds into their performance cars, they can engineer crowd sounds. Right?
I watch sports on mute a lot. Without attendance I would probably watch any game on mute. Just to avoid the weird

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Russia now over 105K cases, 2nd or 3rd fastest daily increases globally - right where US was on March 27. Total cases quadrupled since April 15. Tests per 1M people higher than US but lower than Spain, Italy and Germany. Death rate suspiciously low, like China's, an outlier vs Spain/Italy/Germany's reported rates. Wonder what's the reason for the difference?

China has basically stopped reporting anything new.

Russia Coronavirus: 106,498 Cases and 1,073 Deaths - Worldometer

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Russia now over 105K cases, 2nd or 3rd fastest daily increases globally - right where US was on March 27. Total cases quadrupled since April 15. Tests per 1M people higher than US but lower than Spain, Italy and Germany. Death rate suspiciously low, like China's, an outlier vs Spain/Italy/Germany's reported rates. Wonder what's the reason for the difference?

China has basically stopped reporting anything new.

Russia Coronavirus: 106,498 Cases and 1,073 Deaths - Worldometer

Why is it suspiciously low? Ive written here that many cases are asymptomatic. Ppl just dont get into heavy condition much. BCG, low density, higher standards of higiene - I dont know, probably everything works. Maybe genes are wrong?

What is suspicious - is that: About Event 201, a high-level pandemic exercise on October 18, 2019. Found this gem in comments today. Or is it ok?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
LOL pandemic exercises are nothing new.
Yeah, coronavirus pandemic is nothing new, US was ready. #1 in pandemic readiness country (2019
rating by some morons).

Event 201 simulates an outbreak of a novel zoonotic coronavirus transmitted from bats to pigs to people that eventually becomes efficiently transmissible from person to person, leading to a severe pandemic. The pathogen and the disease it causes are modeled largely on SARS, but it is more transmissible in the community setting by people with mild symptoms.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I don't understand where you're going with all this.
I said it is suspicious that US had coronavirus pandemic exercise right before said pandemic. Especially knowing that US scientists invented that virus about 7 years ago or smth.

That we, in Russia, have low amount of deaths, on the other hand, is not suspicious one bit.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I said it is suspicious that US had coronavirus pandemic exercise right before said pandemic. Especially knowing that US scientists invented that virus about 7 years ago or smth.

That we, in Russia, have low amount of deaths, on the other hand, is not suspicious one bit.

Pandemic preparedness is nothing new. If anything the highest levels underestimated the virus and bungled the response. We also know, from scientific examination, that the virus was not man-made and almost certainly evolved in nature.

If ANY country manufactured this virus how would the possibly pull off a strategic release into the world? How would they protect themselves and not be suspicious about it? And if the US had done it, why would we be suffering so badly from it now? Why would ANY country capable of such a vast conspiracy even WANT to do something like this when it harms their interests and there are easier ways to make money and gain power?

It makes no sense whatsoever.

I thought we were supposed to keep this kind of thing out of this thread.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
https://nypost.com/2020/05/01/nhl-p...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons
The NHL seems to be pivoting from its plan to reopen the season in four centralized locations and is now focused on playing games in its teams’ home cities, multiple sources have told The Post.
The league is dealing with a myriad of hypotheticals, but it is believed that the players have pushed back on the prospect of spending months in a hotel apart from their families. Hence, the league is studying this alternative that is believed to have surfaced in the aftermath of Wednesday’s virtual meeting of the NHL/NHLPA Return to Play Committee that includes five active players.
Hard to believe that would be feasible.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’d hate to be away from my family for a month or two but if it meant a full paycheck and possibly some playoff bonuses I’d be down for it. Especially for the guys who aren’t making the big bucks or have spent the majority of their careers in the minors.

Plus selfishly we need games back for Ovechkin to keep chasing Wayne

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bad time to ask people to leave their families.....that’s a dumb plan.

I think Sports in general....has sort of a duty to come back for the good of the people (assuming it can be done safely).

Look at the events following 9-11, the people needed it, and need something uplifting more than ever now.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Some states re-opening and the UFC/NASCAR putting on events in the coming weeks could grease the rails toward a plan. I suspect it will but there remains so much potential for setbacks and complications. We're just two weeks out from the tentative resumption date of camps but that doesn't seem likely to happen. There's still plenty of time to ramp up but I'm not sure I expect an agreement by then. As much will as there may be there's still a lot of logistic areas that will need hammering out in what remains a very challenging situation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

None of the good players are going to do anything dangerous which I think kills the home rink plan. That's a lot of air travel. They are not going to sign up for being kept from their families.

I will believe they have a workable scenario when they announce one

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Some states re-opening and the UFC/NASCAR putting on events in the coming weeks.

UFC i wont comment on, but NASCAR has very little relation to a team sports game like hockey. They travel a small group which at least to start is all driving distance from home base. The team spends very little time inside social distancing levels. They crowd plays no role in the contest and the primary sound is the cars. You almost never hear the fans.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bad time to ask people to leave their families.....that’s a dumb plan.

I think Sports in general....has sort of a duty to come back for the good of the people (assuming it can be done safely).

Look at the events following 9-11, the people needed it, and need something uplifting more than ever now.

No question that the people need the events to focus on but 9-11 isn't a good compare beyond the basic moral value. By all evidence the way the flu runs thru all these team sports locker rooms every year, this virus is far more dangerous.

Its possible a testing plan can provide some confidence but that confidence level must be high for the PA to sign off. Not nearly enough of a hockey roster needs to work as opposed to most of a NASCAR team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Basic moral value is all that’s needed.

Sounds like you’re betting on no season. I suspect you’ll be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce