Coronavirus and the Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Being away from families is like more safe option for those families. After games are over players can be placed on quaranteen, tested and only then released home.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Pandemic preparedness is nothing new. If anything the highest levels underestimated the virus and bungled the response. We also know, from scientific examination, that the virus was not man-made and almost certainly evolved in nature.

It makes no sense whatsoever.

I thought we were supposed to keep this kind of thing out of this thread.

The bolded part is not known at all. This is pure speculation. Maybe youre told that, ok, but it's not a fact.

Also article from 2015 has the virus constructed from two natural ones. Artificially. This was printed in scientific journal.

All other questions of yours - I will skip them, if you think its offtopic now. As our last arguement went, you believe only your own facts and sources.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
That's all media BS for masses. This info is top secret. Nobody would tell that (virus being man-made) openly in the media even if he had evidence.

I think there are 4 possible scenarios:
- natural virus
- scientists from US lab or China lab (group which worked with chimera bat coronavirus) released their artificial virus by accident = 2 scenarios
- it was a sabotage and not an accident

We dont have enough info from China how it went last Autumn but we have a lot of noise from both countries which sponsored labs and scientists to research these certain types of coronavirus. This is what I call suspicious. Either they are using the opportunity to help their own cause or they are connected with the situation.

If you'd ask me what I think is the most probable scenario? I dont have a clue.

If you think your articles are stating facts... I will ask, for example, 1st article. It's from NIH, right? Could it be that NIH is sponsored by US government and US is a suspect in my scenario? Do you see any conflict of interests? Could it be that US have a hand here and sponsored an article which spreads lies? No? Have you any logical reason to that NO?

Until we have evidence, those arent facts. In this case, we may not get evidence ever, especially if its artificial.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The bolded part is not known at all. This is pure speculation. Maybe youre told that, ok, but it's not a fact.

Also article from 2015 has the virus constructed from two natural ones. Artificially. This was printed in scientific journal.

All other questions of yours - I will skip them, if you think its offtopic now. As our last arguement went, you believe only your own facts and sources.

no don't skip those questions they're the logical questions. You're still talking about off-topic crazy conspiracy theories so the only reason you're skipping those questions is because you can't answer them. Because your theory makes no sense.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That's all media BS for masses. This info is top secret. Nobody would tell that (virus being man-made) openly in the media even if he had evidence.

- natural virus
- scientists from US lab or China lab (group which worked with chimera bat coronavirus) released their artificial virus by accident = 2 scenarios

We dont have enough info from China how it went last Autumn but we have a lot of noise from both countries which sponsored labs and scientists to research these certain types of coronavirus. This is what I call suspicious. Either they are using the opportunity to help their own cause or they are connected with the situation.

If you think your articles are stating facts... I will ask, for example, 1st article. It's from NIH, right? Could it be that NIH is sponsored by US government and US is a suspect in my scenario? Do you see any conflict of interests? Could it be that US have a hand here and sponsored an article which spreads lies? No? Have you any logical reason to that NO?

Until we have evidence, those arent facts. In this case, we may not get evidence ever, especially if its artificial.

So you're claiming something that makes no logical or strategic sense, and there is no possibility of proving it.

It's not the media or the government skewing biology through funding magic. It's this organization which is about as reputable and neutral as you can find in this sphere:

Scripps Research - Wikipedia

Scripps Research, previously known as The Scripps Research Institute (or TSRI)[1] is a nonprofit American medical research facility that focuses on research and education in the biomedical sciences. Headquartered in La Jolla, California with a sister facility in Jupiter, Florida, the institute has 250 laboratories employing 2,400 scientists,[2] technicians, graduate students, and administrative and other staff, making it the largest private, non-profit biomedical research organization in the United States and among the largest in the world.[citation needed]

The institute holds nearly 1,000 patents,[3] produced 8 FDA-approved therapeutics, and has generated over 70 spin-off companies. According to the 2017 Nature Innovation Index, Scripps Research is the #1 most influential research institution in the world.[4][5] The Scripps Research graduate program is ranked 10th nationally in the biological sciences, 5th for organic chemistry, and 2nd for biochemistry.[6]

Don't confuse paranoia for healthy skepticism. You're confusing "suspicious" with your own levels of personal or cultural distrust.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

- natural virus

your propaganda game is strong.

Reactions: g00n

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
UFC i wont comment on, but NASCAR has very little relation to a team sports game like hockey. They travel a small group which at least to start is all driving distance from home base. The team spends very little time inside social distancing levels. They crowd plays no role in the contest and the primary sound is the cars. You almost never hear the fans.
How many crew per car, though? The pits tend to be pretty packed and then there's all of the engineers and the like. It's doable with some distancing but travelling I'd eventually wonder about and the risk of asymptomatic secondary event staff.

The UFC involves even less of a team presence...usually maybe 3-4 tops at the event itself to help with final training and weight cutting. They're doing daily testing but, again, travelling could be problematic (as with Khabib) and I'm not sure testing is extended to the secondary staff either. The cash cows will get their tests I suppose but it's those lower level people that maybe won't where things could get dodgy.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Russia now up to 124K cases with ~9600 new cases yesterday. 7th highest national total and 2nd fastest growth total. The idea that the new cases were mostly just people returning from overseas can probably be discarded. Hygiene as an explanation for a low death rate is kinda silly... hygiene can help prevent getting the disease, it has no impact on curing the disease once infected. The much more likely explanation is that the Putin govt isn't reporting the numbers truthfully. At least they did report that the Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin has contracted Covid-19. I guess when Putin claimed on April 19 that "we have this under control" is was essentially the same worthless political rhetoric as when Trump made similar claims in March.

The conspiracy theories are entertaining though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How many crew per car, though? The pits tend to be pretty packed and then there's all of the engineers and the like. It's doable with some distancing but travelling I'd eventually wonder about and the risk of asymptomatic secondary event staff..

there are about 10 guys that work on the car in the garage between sessions. Some of them are working in the hauler where work stations that aren't moved to the garage. In the pits you have an over the wall crew. On top of the box is the crew chief and usually one other guy. The tire guys/girls are on the other side of the box from the pit lane. I am sure they violate 6ft not like they are sitting on a bench and in a locker room and there is no team shower. They wont travel together.

I am not saying there are no threats. I am saying that its not the same as a baseball team or football team.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Anastasia Shubskaya's grandpa died dieagnosed with COVID-19. He was 91. R.I.P.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know they think the ratings will be a boon but some of Daly's characterizations are real reaches. The majority of GMs want it timed as usual, even if it's not a normal off-season. The notion that teams are as prepared today, in early May, than they would ever be is a bit rich. Teams don't tend to absolutely crystalize their lists until closer to June. Have they polled clubs as to their actual readiness via video meetings to prepare? A month's warning will give teams plenty of time but, along with the various other concerns, it seems equally awkward and artificial to accelerate. With everything else GMs may be dealing with to begin ramping back up again (at least in theory) why complicate that with a draft? Better to cram it in after the season is over with a date well in advance in the fall than to force it in a month IMO. GMs always deal with a compressed time frame anyway. Unless the season is cancelled I can't really get behind a June draft. Changes to the draft lottery and coming up with a conditional pick negotiation week also seem pointlessly devised.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Very weird to see you push back against the draft happening at almost every mention of the event.

Me, I’m not so stubborn. The show must go on. People will adapt and prepare and the ones that don’t, it will be painfully obvious.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's about integrity. If the season is cancelled it makes all kinds of sense to go ahead and hold it virtually to go about doing the business that can be done. But changing the rules, using partial point percentages of a season presumably still to be completed and renegotiating trades is needless when it can still get done under the usual timing. Hardcore fans aren't going anywhere and casuals probably aren't going to be lining up en masse to find out where Lafreniere (someone they've never heard of) is going to be playing.

I get the hazards of a compressed time span when GMs will have to handle the draft, an uncertain salary cap determination, free agency and arbitration to pivot toward a new season...but none of them seem to mind. We'll find out this week but if it happens it pretty clearly will be the league's doing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Very weird to see you push back against the draft happening at almost every mention of the event.

Me, I’m not so stubborn. The show must go on. People will adapt and prepare and the ones that don’t, it will be painfully obvious.

A big part of the fun of the draft is the trading. Its one of the few times during the year that the trade market is active. You cant be in season and get that trade activity. Maybe you have to require adaptation to conditions but that is my main concern. The actual drafting part is fine to do now

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A big part of the fun of the draft is the trading. Its one of the few times during the year that the trade market is active. You cant be in season and get that trade activity. Maybe you have to require adaptation to conditions but that is my main concern. The actual drafting part is fine to do now

No you can’t have actual NHL’ers traded in this scenario, but you can still trade others and you can have unprecedented trade activity after the season ends.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's about integrity. If the season is cancelled it makes all kinds of sense to go ahead and hold it virtually to go about doing the business that can be done. But changing the rules, using partial point percentages of a season presumably still to be completed and renegotiating trades is needless when it can still get done under the usual timing. Hardcore fans aren't going anywhere and casuals probably aren't going to be lining up en masse to find out where Lafreniere (someone they've never heard of) is going to be playing.

I get the hazards of a compressed time span when GMs will have to handle the draft, an uncertain salary cap determination, free agency and arbitration to pivot toward a new season...but none of them seem to mind. We'll find out this week but if it happens it pretty clearly will be the league's doing.

you say integrity, I call it simple mechanics that need to be ironed out for this scenario to work.

dunno, I try to be can do guy, not a can’t do guy at first glance, so I believe it can be worked around.

Is anyone getting F’ed out of the next Crosby in this scenario? If not, I don’t really want to hear it about integrity. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
you say integrity, I call it simple mechanics that need to be ironed out for this scenario to work.

dunno, I’m a can do guy, not a can’t do guy at first glance, so I believe it can be worked around.
That's a bit simplistic, though, given the usual determining factors when it comes to placement that would be projected rather than actually determined by the whole slate of games. I'm all for it if the season is called off but, as much of a draft fanatic as I am, I don't consider it something that must be done in June. It can happen, sure, but the integrity argument is persuasive IMO, particularly re: conditional picks. Conditional picks can be renegotiated but they were made based off of a season yet to be finished. Were those trades less frequent than, say, a decade ago I'd understand more. But these days it's an increasingly common structure in trade deadline deals (the Caps included in the Dillon trade). The ingredients are there for it to happen anyway but as long as the lottery happens beforehand I'm not sure there's much potential for drama. Whoever wins the lottery will pick Lafreniere. It doesn't appear to be such a compelling draft thereafter unless you're maybe an Ottawa fan with the strong likelihood of two top five picks thanks to the Karlsson trade. If the recent lottery details are in place then IINM a team outside the top five is probably not going to win it. It would be more like the old rules with less movement so much more likely beneficial to Detroit (even though Yzerman doesn't seem to mind waiting and going with the newer rules in the fall anyway).

The Caps would pick 27th according to a tweet I read yesterday, sort of a middle ground given where they are among division leaders in point percentage and the potential for reseeding after Conference Finalists and the like. Not great but okay. I'd watch of course but I don't know it would be that much of a draw. Their day two production coverage isn't very good even when centralized and by June between more sports returning and people just wanting to be more outdoors/active I don't know that it would be as beneficial were it held between April/May. It will get more exposure in June compared to the fall but I don't really consider that the overriding priority. The league, network and sponsors do. They can only play the hand they're dealt but I don't get the comparisons to the NFL Draft. That league nails it every year regardless and the NHL probably won't come close when it comes to access or overall production.

Whether it's in June or the fall, no combine and less resources generally putting players through the paces should reward teams that do their homework during the season. Area scouts will be even more important than usual. All of the down time will probably result more of an influence in video scouting as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No you can’t have actual NHL’ers traded in this scenario, but you can still trade others and you can have unprecedented trade activity after the season ends.

The players that can only be traded in the off season will still be traded. Not having the draft there just removes tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad