OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If it's one word or a few words in sequence, I totally do that. I have no idea why. Old habit from when I was a kid, I guess.

The funny part is when I use my big brain and turn on caps lock only to default back to shifting and end up with all lowercase for half a sentence.
Without fail. Every time I use capslock.

Reactions: Bench

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Asia has had mask culture for a long time, because they know it's a useful preventative measure. Asia also has some of the best results in controlling the virus.

But, keep thinking masks don't work so you can be free to spread sickness to as many people as possible. Such oppression.

Reactions: RabidBadger

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Why do you need to wear them around the family you see all the time? I doubt there are many big family gatherings of extended family even going on right now. People are likely sticking with their normal smallish hangout groups with which there is no need to wear masks and be all scared of each other. My family always get together at thanksgiving, but not this year, and I bet many have done the same thing.

where do you think all these cases are coming from? It is gatherings where people aren’t wearing masks because they feel safe with family and friends.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Asia has had mask culture for a long time, because they know it's a useful preventative measure. Asia also has some of the best results in controlling the virus.

Indeed. Masks were actually considered a fashion accessory for young folks, well before this pandemic.

Article from 2015:
How surgical masks became a fashion statement

Japan is a country that builds its foundations on social etiquette. If you’re feeling sick, you ‘do the right thing’ and wear a mask. But there are also other, more surprising, reasons why people choose to strap up and have half their face covered by a white piece of paper.

Increasingly, people are choosing to wear masks for cosmetic reasons: they’re not wearing any makeup and want to hide their face. Think of it like wearing a hat when you can't be bothered to style your hair. Others take it one step further, wanting to hide their emotions. The honne–tatemae divide is considered by some to be of paramount importance in Japanese culture – the contrast between a person’s true feelings and desires (honne) and the behaviour and opinions one displays in public (tatemae). By wearing a mask, these emotions can remain hidden.

In 2011, Japanese news site News Post Seven surveyed 100 people in Shibuya, Tokyo, and found that 30 per cent of them were wearing masks for reasons unrelated to sickness. Many girls claimed wearing a mask gave them a ‘mysterious’ appearance since only their eyes were showing. Others were convinced it made their faces smaller.

If you don't have a ramen mask, are you even trying?

Ramen-face-mask-Japan-Twitter-Japanese-food-fashion-photos-.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How does the mask steam your glasses, though?

This Ramen Face Mask Fogs Up Your Glasses When You Wear It, Just Like a Real Bowl of Steaming Noodles

It’s unclear exactly what specific materials Shibata used to make his ramen mask, but the artist definitely put a lot of thought and effort into its design. It features model replicas of everything you’d expect to find in the perfect bowl of ramen. There’s menma bamboo shoots, chashu braised pork, finely chopped scallions, a slice of fu wheat gluten, noodles, and glistening broth. However, the real surprise is revealed when you put the unusual mask on. Designed specifically for people who wear glasses, the trapped air from the user’s mouth seeps up to fog up their lenses, creating the appearance of steam.

The magic was within you all along.

Reactions: Ezekial

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Let's start welding people into their homes and station military in every neighborhood to shoot people that try and leave their homes. Sound good?

If you equate the mandates of wearing a mask and keeping 6 feet apart to what you said then I have to question your grip on reality.

Also, it makes for some delicious irony seeing as how we have been asked to do the bare minimum during a global pandemic, yet people, such as yourself, decry it as "draconian". Yet, there are alleged accounts in a certain other country of the actual draconian measures you mentioned. I weep frequently for your trampled rights.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like the following quote that's currently circulating:

"How privileged is your life when wearing a mask is the most oppressed you've ever felt?"

People need to give the "nobody is gonna tell me what to do" routine a rest. Wearing a mask, in the grand scheme of things, is a miniscule inconvenience, and is completely justified amidst a GLOBAL PANDEMIC.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I like the following quote that's currently circulating:

"How privileged is your life when wearing a mask is the most oppressed you've ever felt?"

People need to give the "nobody is gonna tell me what to do" routine a rest. Wearing a mask, in the grand scheme of things, is a miniscule inconvenience, and is completely justified amidst a GLOBAL PANDEMIC.

Something something slippery slope fallacy.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The magic was within you all along.

Real ramen (and not the freeze dried packs you can get from the Dollar Tree) is probably my favorite winter time comfort food. In the debate of Pho versus Ramen versus Udon, I be on Team Ramen.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
We're having a mass outbreak in my area. My neighbors and clients are getting sick and dying. This is surreal. I just read Michigan is having another lockdown. I'm against a lockdown, but at this point, I'm torn. This is really bad stuff.

No way there's going to be hockey this season. No chance at all.

Reactions: Winger98

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Are your neighbours and clients all 85? How many died? All of them?

Anyway. It’s all very scary. I’m scared. I think I’ll mail in my vote and head for the safety of the boxcar.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We're having a mass outbreak in my area. My neighbors and clients are getting sick and dying. This is surreal. I just read Michigan is having another lockdown. I'm against a lockdown, but at this point, I'm torn. This is really bad stuff.

No way there's going to be hockey this season. No chance at all.

"liking" that really feels weird but just wanted to agree on the sentiment, really. My county went "red" in the past week, which is level 3 for us. Eyeballing the county stats, our ICUs are basically full, though the covid ICUs don't seem to have increased as a percentage of those beds in the past month. Haven't decreased, either. We have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks if our kindergartener is going to have in-class school at all this year.

stay safe down there, Dotter.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Are your neighbours and clients all 85? How many died? All of them?

Anyway. It’s all very scary. I’m scared. I think I’ll mail in my vote and head for the safety of the boxcar.

just to tack on this because it seems crazy to have a bunch of 85 year olds as your neighbors, but one of my neighbors is in their 80s, another is in their 70s, another is multi-generational with some folks in their 70s, a retired fire chief moved in to a house down from them and is in his 60s... . Only three of our neighbors in our immediate neighborhood are younger than their 50s, and one of them is another multi-generational home.

It seems crazy to think of living in a neighborhood with so many older folks, but yeah. It happens. A lot of old people in this country.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
where do you think all these cases are coming from? It is gatherings where people aren’t wearing masks because they feel safe with family and friends.

Do I need to bring up my "Debbie does Dallas" lesson on pandemic safety again?

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I should add.

I feel for Dotter and anyone else that’s been impacted by this virus / fear campaign.

Deaths of old folks. Loss of income. Lockdowns. Wearing a dirty useless mask on your face. Loss of freedoms. Attempted coup.

Whether a person has bothered to look into the global pandemic and the real story behind it, the impact is very real.

But in my opinion, if a person is still parroting the news and numbers, they aren’t too bright.

Sorry.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Corona-virus went through Jokerit Team in KHL, 22 players + some staff were infected.

Now all those players are healthy and playing again. They went those games with replacement players, when players were sick/quarantined.

It felt crazy that they just pushed thgough this. But, this also proves that players won't need a 100% bubble.

Big crowds in Hockey Arenas are of course a different discussion. Jokerit going with 4500 capacity of spectators.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The latest in Sweden:
The Swedish government has announced new coronavirus restrictions will come into force for four weeks to limit socializing in the run-up to Christmas, amid soaring infections and falling compliance with current guidelines.
In a digital press conference on Monday, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said there had been concerning developments in the spread of Covid-19 in Sweden and that new restrictions are needed.

From November 24, gatherings of more than eight people will be banned for a month. The previous limit was 300 people.

Lofven called on Swedes to do their “duty” and take “responsibility” in slowing the spread of the virus. He also told people not to attend parties or dinners and to refrain from visiting the gym or cinema.
“These are very intrusive measures that are unparalleled in our history, but they are absolutely necessary to limit the infection,” the PM said.

Lofven said the ban on group gatherings was justified because of rising Covid-19 cases, and that the guidance outlined by the health authorities was no longer being taken as seriously by some people. As a result, Sweden needed to move from recommending social distancing to bans.

The PM reiterated his government’s strategy in holding off on the more strident measures put in place elsewhere in Europe, claiming “we don't believe in a total lockdown, we believe the measures being implemented in total will have an effect.”

Last week, the country moved to ban the sale of alcohol after 10pm.

Sweden received a lot of international attention earlier in the year when it chose not to lockdown the country in response to the first wave of the coronavirus, unlike many other nations.

However, subsequent research showed Sweden suffered a very large number of deaths, taking into account its population size. Neighboring countries, such as Finland, had been considerably more successful in preventing fatalities.

Research from John Hopkins University highlights that Finland has recorded 6.69 deaths per 100,000 from Covid-19, whilst Sweden has registered 60.53 fatalities per 100,000.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Research from John Hopkins University highlights that Finland has recorded 6.69 deaths per 100,000 from Covid-19, whilst Sweden has registered 60.53 fatalities per 100,000.

What more is there to say?

This is a country that put faith in its population to handle their own safety and is now feeling forced to move forward with mandates and restrictions.

For those that feel this is overblown or are liberals seizing power, please look at Sweden. They, the government, have fought very hard against any kind of government intervention since the beginning but are now feeling like they have no choice. It's not political. It's because they've been backed into a corner by a virus surging through their population at rates far worse than their neighboring countries who responded more aggressively in the previous months.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

But, keep thinking masks don't work so you can be free to spread sickness to as many people as possible. Such oppression.

The virus came from China.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It did. What a grand observation.

I guess China should have the most cases and most deaths then, considering their extreme population.

They probably do, but the communist party of China will never say. I mean, they did try to cover up the spread and didn't allow U.S. virologists into the country. They were also welding people in their homes, which I know some sick people here would love to see happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad