OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
They probably do, but the communist party of China will never say. I mean, they did try to cover up the spread and didn't allow U.S. virologists into the country. They were also welding people in their homes, which I know some sick people here would love to see happen.

Thanks for bringing that up. Does anyone know where I can score a quality blow torch? I have been dying to be welded into my house!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They probably do, but the communist party of China will never say. I mean, they did try to cover up the spread and didn't allow U.S. virologists into the country. They were also welding people in their homes, which I know some sick people here would love to see happen.
Sounds like you're the only one talking about "welding" people to their homes.

It's almost as if you use extreme language to make the things you're arguing against seem worse.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Literally nobody wants this. You sound unhinged when you say such things about your fellow neighbors and Americans.

Hey, at least we know now whether or not we're actually having a serious, mature discussion.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thanks for bringing that up. Does anyone know where I can score a quality blow torch? I have been dying to be welded into my house!

I'd weld you in, but then who would weld me in? Hmm.

This is like that puzzle when you're trying to cross the river with a fox and a rabbit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd weld you in, but then who would weld me in? Hmm.

This is like that puzzle when you're trying to cross the river with a fox and a rabbit.
I'm picturing a circle of houses, each having opposite doors, with neighbors welding the previous house in...

What a lousy year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Well on the happy side now facing another 3 weeks at least out of work without the hope of either side in Washington doing shit to help us out this time around with enhanced unemployment or a stim check. Hooray.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Are your neighbours and clients all 85? How many died? All of them?

Anyway. It’s all very scary. I’m scared. I think I’ll mail in my vote and head for the safety of the boxcar.

Range from 40 to 70. Just found out another client caught it, he's 32. And his family said he's not doing too well at all. Our area is bad right now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why do you take Coronavirus seriously when the politicians demanding you follow their rules don't?
Because regardless of politics, either John Q Public is cautious or he isn't. And it's those same everyday citizens that are the ones getting sick, with more likelihood of having a severe experience or even death than the average politician (regardless of party) due to comparative access to health care.

Government can argue until the cows come home. The virus doesn't care who's in charge or how I feel about a given governor, senator, or president - it attacks either way.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Because regardless of politics, either John Q Public is cautious or he isn't. And it's those same everyday citizens that are the ones getting sick, with more likelihood of having a severe experience or even death than the average politician (regardless of party) due to comparative access to health care.

Government can argue until the cows come home. The virus doesn't care who's in charge or how I feel about a given governor, senator, or president - it attacks either way.
But the people in charge that told you to be afraid and stay in your home don't actually believe it themselves, otherwise they wouldn't keep getting caught breaking their own rules. This is the part I don't understand.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
But the people in charge that told you to be afraid and stay in your home don't actually believe it themselves, otherwise they wouldn't keep getting caught breaking their own rules. This is the part I don't understand.
No one told me to be afraid.

Wear a mask around strangers. Social distance. Avoid large gatherings of people.

That's not weld yourself your radiator to wither and die.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
So you think someone like Fauci is just trying to scare people and your evidence is that he's taken his mask off a few times?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
My best friend's grandma, my sister in law's grandma, and my grandma's brother in law are dead because of covid, but it doesn't matter cuz it's all a scare tactic/they were old and gonna die anyway.

Also these were all summer deaths, during the "downturn"

I'm taking preventative measures for me and mine, not for any stupid f***ing politician.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCNorthstars

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
My best friend's grandma, my sister in law's grandma, and my grandma's brother in law are dead because of covid, but it doesn't matter cuz it's all a scare tactic/they were old and gonna die anyway.

This line of thinking drives me absolutely nuts. These folks often still have years to live. They didn't need to die.

And the longer we all drag our feet doing our part, the longer they remain stuck. I talk to seniors nearly every day for my job, and they are isolated and frustrated. They see people dismissing the virus or not wearing masks while they shop, and they know that's what could kill them. It's heartbreaking to hear. These are folks who still have so much to give and still want to do things. But they can't until their neighbors do more.

I dare folks to take their virus downplaying bravado and tell it to face of the people they are impacting the most. Easy to do on your Facebook comments. But after talking to these folks, I can't imagine how heartless you'd have to be to tell them tough shit, you're not going to wear a mask or stop going out.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Whitmer shuts down restaurants even though they only account for 6% of outbreaks. But she keeps salons open even though they were the last to open coming out of the last shutdown. seems legit

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
So you think someone like Fauci is just trying to scare people and your evidence is that he's taken his mask off a few times?

California governor Gavin Newsom, who today is putting most of the state back into strict lockdown, was busted earlier this month for attending a birthday party with over a dozen people from different households at French Laundry, a restaurant where the average meal cost is $350. This is the same guy urging residents to avoid having Thanksgiving, if possible.

Doesn't sound like he's too concerned with catching Coronavirus.

Whitmer shuts down restaurants even though they only account for 6% of outbreaks. But she keeps salons open even though they were the last to open coming out of the last shutdown. seems legit

I'm sure her husband still gets to go boating.

It's a power play. Fauci loves the attention and basically runs this country now, not the duly elected officials. No matter what he says or does, we can't vote him out. No one can hold him accountable. That's pretty scary, don't you think? But that's what happens when we leave everything to the scientists to decide our future.

And yes, I expect a nearly 80-year old man to take this seriously out of anyone else. He's in the most at-risk age group. He already lied about mask usage and then gets to take in private MLB games with his friends not socially distancing or wearing masks.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
We'll get a good vaccine, there are about a dozen or so closing in, but it's going to take time to roll it out to... well, literally everyone. And there will be folks that will refuse it based on various reasons.

I've mentally prepared myself for another year of basically what we've been doing.
nothing*

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
California governor Gavin Newsom, who today is putting most of the state back into strict lockdown, was busted earlier this month for attending a birthday party with over a dozen people from different households at French Laundry, a restaurant where the average meal cost is $350. This is the same guy urging residents to avoid having Thanksgiving, if possible.

It's a power play. Fauci loves the attention and basically runs this country now, not the duly elected officials. No matter what he says or does, we can't vote him out. No one can hold him accountable. That's pretty scary, don't you think? But that's what happens when we leave everything to the scientists to decide our future.

And yes, I expect a nearly 80-year old man to take this seriously out of anyone else. He's in the most at-risk age group. He already lied about mask usage and then gets to take in private MLB games with his friends not socially distancing or wearing masks.
I don’t think a few anecdotes about Newsom or Fauci not following their own guidance at times means they don’t think the virus is a major issue. Hypocritical, tone-deaf, and aggravating? Sure. It doesn’t mean they’re lying or that there’s some kind of broad, nefarious scheme amongst those in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille