OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Is anyone here one of those peoples who use Caps Lock instead of the Shift key for most, if not all, typing situations in which you want to show capital letters?

I heard about a former co-worker who allegedly does that. Seems wildly inefficient to me but apparently this type of person can really make it work for them so that they're not any slower or faster.
Oooof, whatever works for them. It's like the people who don't use ctrl+backspace to delete words and instead press backspace for every letter they want to delete.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Is anyone here one of those peoples who use Caps Lock instead of the Shift key for most, if not all, typing situations in which you want to show capital letters?

I heard about a former co-worker who allegedly does that. Seems wildly inefficient to me but apparently this type of person can really make it work for them so that they're not any slower or faster.

If it's one word or a few words in sequence, I totally do that. I have no idea why. Old habit from when I was a kid, I guess.

The funny part is when I use my big brain and turn on caps lock only to default back to shifting and end up with all lowercase for half a sentence.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Oooof, whatever works for them. It's like the people who don't use ctrl+backspace to delete words and instead press backspace for every letter they want to delete.

Mind. Blown.

Time to start using a new shortcut.

I'm well aware of that shortcut. I'm just not fully comfortable/don't feel the right kind of control with it. I always over-delete or under-delete.

If it's one word or a few words in sequence, I totally do that. I have no idea why. Old habit from when I was a kid, I guess.

The funny part is when I use my big brain and turn on caps lock only to default back to shifting and end up with all lowercase for half a sentence.

I knew we had one on here. I should have know it'd be you, haha.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I knew we had one on here. I should have know it'd be you, haha.

THE TRICK IS ONLY USING LEFT PINKY SHIFT AND THEN LETTING YOUR FINGERS ROAM FREEEEE! OF COURSE THE BIG ISSUE IS WHEN I WANT TO USE A CONTRACTION LIKE YOU"RE SEEING HERE> ALSO I"M SURE YOU NOTICED PUNCUATION CAN BE AN ISSUE>

Reactions: FabricDetails

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

8e67264e629113ed68ad1cef2d0a6e41.jpg

Reactions: Bench

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

I am one of those heathens. I like my words to die a slow death.

More accurately, I use the time that I spend backspacing to think of how I want to re-word it. If I used this new-fangled doo hickey... I'd just be sitting there like an idiot for that extra time I gain. What do you think I am? A personal assistant that can type 90-150 words per minute? Nope. I can go at about 60 wpm and I'm just fine with that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If I've fubared something to the extent that I have to backspace more than a word I tend to just highlight the whole thing and kill it. Starting from scratch ends up taking less time than going through and making right something that is trash.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If I've fubared something to the extent that I have to backspace more than a word I tend to just highlight the whole thing and kill it. Starting from scratch ends up taking less time than going through and making right something that is trash.

I'm sure you guys have seen a few sentences of mine that looks like I had a stroke and this is always how it happens.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I am one of those heathens. I like my words to die a slow death.

More accurately, I use the time that I spend backspacing to think of how I want to re-word it. If I used this new-fangled doo hickey... I'd just be sitting there like an idiot for that extra time I gain. What do you think I am? A personal assistant that can type 90-150 words per minute? Nope. I can go at about 60 wpm and I'm just fine with that.

60 wpm? Now those are some finely tuned index fingers!;)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm sure you guys have seen a few sentences of mine that looks like I had a stroke and this is always how it happens.

have to admit that I've had folks respond to poorly worded posts of mine misinterpreting my argument, only to look at what they are saying and deciding, "eh, what the hell. I don't agree with this either" and arguing that instead.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Alright, I need some help folks. This was given to us as a gift for the youngest:

a5882084-6ef3-4ec2-905c-4ddbd9bb0d61.jpg.w480.jpg

Now, it clearly has a bit of an annoyance factor. But also, in this configuration, what the hell is a crawler supposed to do with it? He can't reach anything. All of the pictures are on the outside of the tunnel. Even the dangly bits are hard to reach or even find. I doubt that kid in the picture has a clue that one yellow fish with the orange ball in the middle is even there.

So, I flipped the thing over so instead of an arch for him to crawl through, it became a giant U for him to crawl into. I then watched as my kid flopped across that flashing, beeping bit in the middle and slapped happily at the various buttons, lights, and sea creatures. The interactive, flashing thing and the dangly bits are actually in reach. Win, right?

Then he realized the whole thing will rock if he grabs one edge and pulls. Since then it has become a bit of a tumbler toy where he crawls over one end, has it roll to the other and he kerflumps around laughing and flailing away. Or he'll crawl into it and just sort of rock around in it. Point is he really digs the movement of it, and being able to manipulate it. But finding other toys that are sort of like this thing when you flip it upside down - kinda fun, kinetic and, frankly, unsafe - is kind of hard. so, I'm wondering if any of you folks have some experience finding that type of toy or have had some toy hacks of their own. I've thought of those collapsible fabric tunnels they make for kids, or just buying some wide cardboard cement forms to make put around to make tunnels. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions here.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Point is he really digs the movement of it, and being able to manipulate it.

Would any form of rocking toy that the child does themselves be enough to mimic the movement he enjoys? Like a rocking horse?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Point is he really digs the movement of it, and being able to manipulate it. But finding other toys that are sort of like this thing when you flip it upside down - kinda fun, kinetic and, frankly, unsafe - is kind of hard. so, I'm wondering if any of you folks have some experience finding that type of toy or have had some toy hacks of their own. I've thought of those collapsible fabric tunnels they make for kids, or just buying some wide cardboard cement forms to make put around to make tunnels. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions here.

After your prototype is done, I want to see you on Shark Tank ASAP.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Alright, I need some help folks. This was given to us as a gift for the youngest:

a5882084-6ef3-4ec2-905c-4ddbd9bb0d61.jpg.w480.jpg

Now, it clearly has a bit of an annoyance factor. But also, in this configuration, what the hell is a crawler supposed to do with it? He can't reach anything. All of the pictures are on the outside of the tunnel. Even the dangly bits are hard to reach or even find. I doubt that kid in the picture has a clue that one yellow fish with the orange ball in the middle is even there.

So, I flipped the thing over so instead of an arch for him to crawl through, it became a giant U for him to crawl into. I then watched as my kid flopped across that flashing, beeping bit in the middle and slapped happily at the various buttons, lights, and sea creatures. The interactive, flashing thing and the dangly bits are actually in reach. Win, right?

Then he realized the whole thing will rock if he grabs one edge and pulls. Since then it has become a bit of a tumbler toy where he crawls over one end, has it roll to the other and he kerflumps around laughing and flailing away. Or he'll crawl into it and just sort of rock around in it. Point is he really digs the movement of it, and being able to manipulate it. But finding other toys that are sort of like this thing when you flip it upside down - kinda fun, kinetic and, frankly, unsafe - is kind of hard. so, I'm wondering if any of you folks have some experience finding that type of toy or have had some toy hacks of their own. I've thought of those collapsible fabric tunnels they make for kids, or just buying some wide cardboard cement forms to make put around to make tunnels. I don't know. I'm open to suggestions here.
Get a pikler triangle and the accessories that go with it (or make them if you want a project).

"Unsafe" just means he has to practice more and when he does everything else will become more safe in comparison.

images

I think this is the guide I used How to Make a Foldable Pikler Triangle (climbing Frame)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would any form of rocking toy that the child does themselves be enough to mimic the movement he enjoys? Like a rocking horse?

I'm not sure it's the rocking or the fact that he can manipulate it at all, and he's free to move with it. Most baby toys are pretty...stationary (for good reason).

After your prototype is done, I want to see you on Shark Tank ASAP.

Torture-Rack-Torture-Devices.jpg

Get a pikler triangle and the accessories that go with it (or make them if you want a project).

"Unsafe" just means he has to practice more and when he does everything else will become more safe in comparison.

images

I think this is the guide I used How to Make a Foldable Pikler Triangle (climbing Frame)

I think he's a little young still but that is so being made. thanks!

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

images

This reminded me of something earlier and it's taken me this long to figure out what it was. It's Anji Play. Years ago I saw a documentary about Anji play and a similar idea behind a company making playground equipment in the states, but I can't remember the name of the US company now. Fascinating stuff. Who would have thought the old oil drums my grandfather kept around to burn the rubber off copper wires before taking them to the scrap yard was actually an ideal children's toy.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This reminded me of something earlier and it's taken me this long to figure out what it was. It's Anji Play. Years ago I saw a documentary about Anji play and a similar idea behind a company making playground equipment in the states, but I can't remember the name of the US company now. Fascinating stuff. Who would have thought the old oil drums my grandfather kept around to burn the rubber off copper wires before taking them to the scrap yard was actually an ideal children's toy.

Is this the same idea as when kids used to play in construction sites?

I remember seeing one in another country that had kids using hammers and nails and everything.

I'm definitely not in the "tough it out" crowd (I'm also not a parent so who cares what I think) but there's something to be said about letting your kid actually make some risky choices within reason. For me, I used to just build things in the woods for hours. We made our own bows and arrows that couldn't kill anyone but damn if you couldn't lose an eye.

Reactions: Winger98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad