OT: Coronavirus and General O/T Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You f***ers were saying something about hospitals?

NEW: El Paso, Texas, issues stay-at-home order due to surge in COVID cases, says "all area hospitals have reached capacity"

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Umm, what about places like Florida and many other similar places, that have many beaches, parties, venues and gatherings loaded with people not even close to social distancing. Are Florida or others on death watch right now? Not arguing in bad faith at all.

US Coronavirus: Florida will be 'like a house on fire' in weeks, infectious disease expert says - CNN

"Florida is ripe for another large outbreak," said Mike Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.
"What they've done is opened up everything as if nothing had ever happened there and you and I could be talking probably in eight to 10 weeks, and I will likely bet that Florida will be a house on fire," Osterholm told CNN's Jake Tapper.

Florida was social distancing less and less, until its summer coronavirus explosion

View attachment 374380

They are doing the Lord's work, when Bench talks about believing in Evolution earlier in this thread? That is the exact nonsense that is as opposed to the Lord as you can get!

And um... Pope Pius XII in 1950 pushed for the acceptance of Theistic evolution. Popes Benedict and Francis in the past two decades have pushed that along even further. Theistic evolution basically is the Church's way of reconciling the scientific proofs of evolution with the belief in creation. As in, one does not invalidate the other. If I have belief in God and that He created everything... why on Earth wouldn't I have faith that he "built in" the alterations in life brought on by evolution. I'm not saying anyone else is right or wrong. What you believe is what you believe. But to state that evolution is as opposed to the Lord as you can get... multiple heads of the Catholic Church have stated otherwise.

Reactions: jkutswings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
US Coronavirus: Florida will be 'like a house on fire' in weeks, infectious disease expert says - CNN

"Florida is ripe for another large outbreak," said Mike Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.
"What they've done is opened up everything as if nothing had ever happened there and you and I could be talking probably in eight to 10 weeks, and I will likely bet that Florida will be a house on fire," Osterholm told CNN's Jake Tapper.

Florida was social distancing less and less, until its summer coronavirus explosion

View attachment 374380

And um... Pope Pius XII in 1950 pushed for the acceptance of Theistic evolution. Popes Benedict and Francis in the past two decades have pushed that along even further. Theistic evolution basically is the Church's way of reconciling the scientific proofs of evolution with the belief in creation. As in, one does not invalidate the other. If I have belief in God and that He created everything... why on Earth wouldn't I have faith that he "built in" the alterations in life brought on by evolution. I'm not saying anyone else is right or wrong. What you believe is what you believe. But to state that evolution is as opposed to the Lord as you can get... multiple heads of the Catholic Church have stated otherwise.

You do realize that Roman Catholicism is not Godly right? The many recent Popes have said many many things that are directly against what The Lord has said (in The Bible) on many numerous issues. So using him as any religious backing is very poor on your part. The Catholic religion and belief can be of God, but Roman Catholicism is not and may never have been. It may have started out that way, a long time ago, but is no longer that. They are about as Anti-God as any religion currently out there.

Also, you mentioned if you believe in God you have no problem believing evolution was how the World was created. Well, The Bible tells the entire World how it came to be, and none of the world's far out there theories are it. HE (GOD) created it and everything and everyone in the world. People did not come from monkeys or any other ridiculous form.

To the first part, Florida is not having people drop left and right like you are trying to proclaim.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Can we all at least agree that while the severity of the virus may vary by location, it is formidable enough that if we do not take any precautions there will be illness and loss of life that, at least to an extent, is otherwise preventable?

I mean, I can understand that Texas is getting hit harder than Canada at the moment, understand that there are several reasons why, and still want the people of Texas to take steps to get better and lessen the impact of the virus. Even if I don't like who's in charge of a given area or how they're doing things, that's just basic human decency.

Reactions: Red Stanley

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You do realize that Roman Catholicism is not Godly right?
We'll that's not inflammatory at all.

The many recent Popes have said many many things that are directly against what The Lord has said (in The Bible) on many numerous issues.
Which implies that your personal interpretation of the Bible is authoritative.

So using him as any religious backing is very poor on your part. The Catholic religion and belief can be of God, but Roman Catholicism is not and may never have been. It may have started out that way, a long time ago, but is no longer that. They are about as Anti-God as any religion currently out there.

Also, you mentioned if you believe in God you have no problem believing evolution was how the World was created. Well, The Bible tells the entire World how it came to be, and none of the world's far out there theories are it. HE (GOD) created it and everything and everyone in the world. People did not come from monkeys are any other ridiculous form.
I find it interesting that thousands of interpretations of the Bible reach varying conclusions. Logically, some of those conclusions cannot simultaneously be correct. If only there was some sort of authority or tradition whose purpose was to focus the light of scripture through a clarifying lens, so that millions of people aren't just guessing or saying it's my word against yours...

To the first part, Florida is not having people drop left and right like you are trying to proclaim.
The claim is that things are ABOUT TO GET bad, not that they already have.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
We'll that's not inflammatory at all.

Which implies that your personal interpretation of the Bible is authoritative.

I find it interesting that thousands of interpretations of the Bible reach varying conclusions. Logically, some of those conclusions cannot simultaneously be correct. If only there was some sort of authority or tradition whose purpose was to focus the light of scripture through a clarifying lens, so that millions of people aren't just guessing or saying it's my word against yours...

The claim is that things are ABOUT TO GET bad, not that they already have.

No Bible from God differs on how the World came to be. Also, it is not coming from me, it his GOD'S word that tells everyone how the World came to be. It isn't for humans to decide upon. You don't need to believe me, read a from God Bible and it tells you right in the first book called Genesis.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
No Bible from God differs on how the World came to be. Also, it is not coming from me, it his GOD'S word that tells everyone how the World came to be. It isn't for humans to decide upon. You don't need to believe me, read a from God Bible and it tells you right in the first book called Genesis.
My point is that if you and I read from the same passage of the same manuscript, we can each interpret those identical words in different ways.

Is every word literal?
Are there cultural / geographical / literary references that are relevant, even critical, to understand things? Perhaps context that a person in the Middle East during the first century would be familiar with that a person in the West during the twenty first century would not?

There's a lot to consider when making an interpretation of any ancient text, let alone one claiming guidance on how to live your life.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My point is that if you and I read from the same passage of the same manuscript, we can each interpret those identical words in different ways.

Is every word literal?
Are there cultural / geographical / literary references that are relevant, even critical, to understand things? Perhaps context that a person in the Middle East during the first century would be familiar with that a person in the West during the twentieth century would not?

There's a lot to consider when making an interpretation of any ancient text, let alone one claiming guidance on how to live your life.

Not to regards to how this World is here. Anything a human came up with is false on this issue.

We can differ on politics and lots of other issues, but topic at hand was creation and there is no debate on it.

The Bible was physically written by man, however God told them what to write. The Ancient scrolls written back then were in Hebrew and Greek and they have been long proven as correct.

It isn't about me being right or trying to come down on you or anyone. I don't want you to believe me, Please don't, I want you to read The Bible and hear his Word. God's Word is clear on all, eventhough many things are hard to understand, it is HIS word that I'm telling you about.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not to regards to how this World is here. Anything a human came up with is false on this issue.

We can differ on politics and lots of other issues, but topic at hand was creation and there is no debate on it.

The Bible was physically written by man, however God told them what to write. The Ancient scrolls written back then were in Hebrew and Greek and they have been long proven as correct.

It isn't about me being right or trying to come down on you or anyone. I don't want you to believe me, Please don't, I want you to read The Bible and hear his Word. God's Word is clear on all, eventhough many things are hard to understand, it is HIS word that I'm telling you about.
PM me. I'd love to chat more.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Umm, what about places like Florida and many other similar places, that have many beaches, parties, venues and gatherings loaded with people not even close to social distancing. Are Florida or others on death watch right now? Not arguing in bad faith at all.
Bro... People in Florida are dying at a higher rate than 213 of the 217 countries in the world.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They are doing the Lord's work, when Bench talks about believing in Evolution earlier in this thread? That is the exact nonsense that is as opposed to the Lord as you can get!

giphy.gif

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Florida and Michigan have basically the same death rate, by the way.
Yeah... 208 of the 217 countries in the world have their people dying at a lower rate than the US. The US as a whole has handled this very very poorly

Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah... 208 of the 217 countries in the world have their people dying at a lower rate than the US. The US as a whole has handled this very very poorly
The US has handled it poorly but we also have a very unhealthy population to begin with. I believe almost half of adults in the US are obese and around 10% of Americans are diabetic. Around a third of adults are prediabetic.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
The US has handled it poorly but we also have a very unhealthy population to begin with. I believe almost half of adults in the US are obese and around 10% of Americans are diabetic. Around a third of adults are prediabetic.
That certainly doesn't help. But I'll point to this statistic again:

Total Cases, March 17th:
USA: 6,904
S. Korea: 8,320

New cases since March 17th:
USA: 8,882,503
S. Korea: 17,516

The spread of cases in not affected by overall health. Being completely overrun with cases was not unavoidable.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Back in April, Michigan and Sweden had similar covid-19 numbers, which I found interesting because they have a somewhat similar climate and similar population.
Since then, Michigan has enforced a mask mandate and has many more restrictive rules... Sweden has been ostracized as a "cautionary tale" for how not to handle COVID.
Since then, Michigan keeps adding deaths.

Michigan 10 million people.
7522 deaths. Now averaging 25 deaths a day.

Sweden 10.1 million people
5933 deaths - Averaging 1-2 deaths a day for the last 2 months.

I think there are 3 things at play.
Sweden's health care is better.
Sweden's citizens are more health-conscious.
Michigan's rules are mostly ineffective.

What's interesting to me is the way round 2 of the virus hits "virgin" populations.
Czech Republic (Czechia) Coronavirus: 263,572 Cases and 2,337 Deaths - Worldometer

The rise in Czech is steep - almost as steep as the rise we saw in the "virgin populations" back in the spring.
The rise in the countries that have already been hit once is more muted.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

So true. And all the more reason our leadership had to be even more proactive and defensive regarding spread.

It would be nice to be treated like adults and be told, "Hey America, we are more vulnerable, so we need to take this seriously."

Of course that would be admitting even the slightest hint of weakness, rather than our usual dose of being told we're the best ever ever things have never been better thanks to glorious leader.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So true. And all the more reason our leadership had to be even more proactive and defensive regarding spread.

It would be nice to be treated like adults and be told, "Hey America, we are more vulnerable, so we need to take this seriously."

Of course that would be admitting even the slightest hint of weakness, rather than our usual dose of being told we're the best ever ever things have never been better thanks to glorious leader.

A lot of the hardest-hit states are managed by Democratic governors.
Watching Democrats politicize is highly entertaining.
That's why I laugh and laugh when Trump claims he saved millions of lives.
It's so f***ing absurd.
But it's exactly what the Dems are claiming.

I'm almost starting to think Trump is the Andy Kaufman presidency, just trolling all of us.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Back in April, Michigan and Sweden had similar covid-19 numbers, which I found interesting because they have a somewhat similar climate and similar population.
Since then, Michigan has enforced a mask mandate and has many more restrictive rules... Sweden has been ostracized as a "cautionary tale" for how not to handle COVID.

What's interesting to me is the way round 2 of the virus hits "virgin" populations.
Czech Republic (Czechia) Coronavirus: 263,572 Cases and 2,337 Deaths - Worldometer

The rise in Czech is steep - almost as steep as the rise we saw in the "virgin populations" back in the spring.
The rise in the countries that have already been hit once is more muted.
I don't really feel like getting into this now, so I'll just try to leave it at this:

I don't get why we are constantly comparing ourselves to the other worst-of-the-worst examples in order to try to justify things.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't really feel like getting into this now, so I'll just try to leave it at this:

I don't get why we are constantly comparing ourselves to the other worst-of-the-worst examples in order to try to justify things.

I've been comparing Michigan to Sweden since the start
Because our trend was so similar early. Because of the similarish climates. Because of the similar population.
I'm not justifying anything.
I'm comparing two areas with similar populations/climates/COVID situations and comparing drastically different mitigation measures.

Tying this back to hockey - it's nice that Sweden has been able to have a hockey season thus far.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Question for you: do we have any idea how people in Sweden are behaving in terms of wearing masks/social distancing/etc. even though there are no mandates? My guess is they're wearing masks at a higher rate than Michiganders even though Michigan has a mask mandate.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Most countries aren't testing as often as the U.S. & their "lower mortality rates" are a result.

Some countries aren't giving accurate #'s either...like the U.S...NYC for example was having practically everyone that died listed as "C19 cause of death" on the death certificate b/c they were getting $30K Fed. Aid for every single one iirc. Later on, autopsies at the request of family members revealed this to be the case. Other states followed suit. It's all about the benjamins & control/fear etc.

If sunshine helps stave off the virus, then Florida, "the Sunshine State" (& the south in general) should be pretty good to go....2nd/3rd wave my ass, lmao.

Lastly, Sweden didn't exactly adhere to the Social Distancing, how are they doing? Pretty well b/c of her immunity? You Don't Say?

Also, somewhere in this thread is a CNN article/quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, C.N.N. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

Confused News Network
Communist News Network

Communism has killed over 200Million people in the last 100 years. Socialism/Marxism/Facism aren't any better.

(USSR) Union of Soviet SOCIALIST Republics...it's like some never studied real history.

If Socialism is soooo great, why does it fail so much? Why don't people from Capitalist countries (illegally) invade Socialist countries ?? ... HMMMM

Last edited:

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I know there's no point in doing this (since you'll chalk it up to the global Deep State/Communists/Marxists/Democrats/Chinese/Republicans working in concert to hurt Trump) but I'll humor you.
If sunshine helps stave off the virus, then Florida, "the Sunshine State" (& the south in general) should be pretty good to go....2nd/3rd wave my ass, lmao.
El Paso's doing great!

Lastly, Sweden didn't exactly adhere to the Social Distancing, how are they doing? Pretty well b/c of her immunity? You Don't Say?
From the Swedish government:
More than eight in ten Swedes are keeping a greater distance from others than they normally would. Just as many are avoiding shaking hands and are washing their hands more often than usual. Over 60 per cent are taking part in social activities outside the home to a lesser extent and are avoiding public places where there are lots of people. This is clear from a survey on behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic conducted by analysis company Kantar Sifo on behalf of the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency. In other words, Swedes are largely following the advice and recommendations issued by the Public Health Agency of Sweden.
Also, somewhere in this thread is a CNN article/quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, C.N.N. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

Confused News Network
Communist News Network
The man quoted in the article is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. I'd trust his word over whoever crawls out of Steve Bannon's ass onto your Facebook feed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad