Coronavirus and General O/T Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
No, don't let the media try and cover for Fauci. He screwed up then double downed and said he lied because he didn't want to create a panic of people running out buying masks.

Now, he says wearing two masks just makes common sense. Fire Fauci.

It's crazy anyone even tries to defend Fauci's flipflop.
It's illogical.
I'm so sick of the control freaks who aren't content assessing their own risk so they have to assess everyone else's risk too.
Weirdly enough - and it's probably more a product of who I know than anything else - but I'm finding more of these Karens are getting infected than the people I know who don't seem to really give a f***.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Based on Reuters, that's not exactly how it happened:

Fact check: Outdated video of Fauci saying “there’s no reason to be walking around with a mask”

The original "don't wear masks" for the general public was based on:
* People worried that frontline workers might not have had enough masks to go around.
* Education was not yet widespread, either for proper use or for degree of protection.

Now do I think it could have been handled better? Oh yeah. But that's not the same thing as the notion that Fauci is incompetent.

Fauci: Right now in the United States, People should not be walking around with masks.
60 Minutes: You're sure of it. Because people are listening very closely.
Fauci: Right now people should not be wearing it, There's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people (handquote) "feel" a little better and it might even block a droplet. But it's not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. Often there are unintended consequences. People will keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face. When you think masks, you should think of health care providers needing them and people who are ill. The people who, when you look at the films of the foreign countries and you see 85 percent of the people wearing masks, that's fine. I'm not against it. If you want to do it, that's fine.
60 Minutes; But it could lead to a shortage of masks.
Fauci: It could lead to a shortage of masks for the people who really need it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
My step dad also didn't care and when he got coronavirus he spread it to a bunch of people. Soooo it goes both ways.

It's also funny to see Karens are just "people I disagree with" now as well.

Reactions: avssuc

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Fauci: Right now in the United States, People should not be walking around with masks.
Fauci: Right now people should not be wearing it, There's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people (handquote) "feel" a little better and it might even block a droplet. But it's not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. Often there are unintended consequences. People will keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face. When you think masks, you should think of health care providers needing them and people who are ill. The people who, when you look at the films of the foreign countries and you see 85 percent of the people wearing masks, that's fine. I'm not against it. If you want to do it, that's fine.

What part about that was wrong?

In March 2020, it was not widespread enough to the point that you had to assume everyone had it. Right then, there was no reason to be walking around with a mask.

Its so crazy to me that it’s always the same people that use crazy slippery slope “what’s next?” arguments are the same people that bring up a single quote and ignore context, and find a single picture of Fauci not wearing a mask and make it their profile picture. We didn’t need you to wear a mask before it was necessary. We’re not asking you to staple a mask to your face 24 hours a day. The fact that people advocating for masks are not forcing you to wear them nonstop in a totalitarian does not make them hypocrites, it makes you a child

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Recommendations change as information changes

Thing is it's not even a recommendation what Fauci was saying. He was asked if double masking would help, and he gave an answer. He didn't advocate for it, he didn't stump on it. but people who want to be either dishonest, lazy, or manipulative take the quote and run with it.

similar to this gem from above:

Everything said around the bolded part providing context is true. And he even ends with saying he's not against it. And then information changed, asymptomatic spreaders became known to be a bigger problem, and his opinion shifted harder towards wearing a mask. None of which contradicts his initial misgivings about the mask and which we are continued to told to be careful of (touching face, washing hands, etc.).

And this is without going into the hours of interviews Fauci has had to do that provides even more context to how he felt about masks at the time and how it evolved.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Everything said around the bolded part providing context is true. And he even ends with saying he's not against it. And then information changed, asymptomatic spreaders became known to be a bigger problem, and his opinion shifted harder towards wearing a mask. None of which contradicts his initial misgivings about the mask and which we are continued to told to be careful of (touching face, washing hands, etc.).

And this is without going into the hours of interviews Fauci has had to do that provides even more context to how he felt about masks at the time and how it evolved.

He claims he was lying when he gave those interviews. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop trying to make excuses for someone that is to blame for people dying of COVID because they think he's an expert when he really needs to be kicked to the curb. It's ok to say he was wrong (multiple times) and that the media needs stop treating him as American's favorite doctor.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He claims he was lying when he gave those interviews. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop trying to make excuses for someone that is to blame for people dying of COVID because they think he's an expert when he really needs to be kicked to the curb. It's ok to say he was wrong (multiple times) and that the media needs stop treating him as American's favorite doctor.
Yawn.

Fact-checking Sen. Rubio's criticism of Dr. Fauci

PolitiFact - Marco Rubio says Anthony Fauci lied about masks. Fauci didn’t.

It's to the point that a random person could ask you what time it is, and your response would be a rant about Fauci that rivals Clark's tirade about Frank Shirley from Christmas Vacation.

But I'm sure that none of the fact checking above is correct, and YOU KNOW THE REAL STORY...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yawn.

Fact-checking Sen. Rubio's criticism of Dr. Fauci

PolitiFact - Marco Rubio says Anthony Fauci lied about masks. Fauci didn’t.

It's to the point that a random person could ask you what time it is, and your response would be a rant about Fauci that rivals Clark's tirade about Frank Shirley from Christmas Vacation.

But I'm sure that none of the fact checking above is correct, and YOU KNOW THE REAL STORY...

lol, yes, CNN and PolitiFact, the completely neutral entities HAHAHA

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Looks like Auto Chess has its own (free) release for PS4 now. Anybody ever play it? I plan on at least kicking the tires.

EDIT: And there's also a free demo of Immortals Fenyx Rising. (Kind of a mix of Zelda Breath of the Wild and Assassin's Creed, set in Greek mythology.)

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
My step dad also didn't care and when he got coronavirus he spread it to a bunch of people. Soooo it goes both ways.

It's also funny to see Karens are just "people I disagree with" now as well.

Karens are people who can't keep their f***ing nose out of other people's business.
Local theater holds Super Bowl watching event - in accordance with all the rules. Karens have to bitch about unsafe they are, blah blah blah.
It's not good enough for them to stay home. They have to decide for other people too.
Local people appear in picture without mask. They must opine about how disappointing those people are....

On the flipside, some of these moms trying to get the governor to allow their kids to play sports? Total Karens. Silent all year about school.But now that their kid might not star for the basketball team... we have a serious problem that everyone must know about.

But even that - that's not Karen like the mask police Karen. That's more regular old selfish alphamom.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't believe in god, but god bless Bench and Co for exercising so much patience in this thread. It's rather impressive. Anti-intellectualism was plenty annoying 20 years ago. Now it's ramped up to 11.

#murica

God bless a non believer? Counter productive don't you think!

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
What part about that was wrong?

In March 2020, it was not widespread enough to the point that you had to assume everyone had it. Right then, there was no reason to be walking around with a mask.

Its so crazy to me that it’s always the same people that use crazy slippery slope “what’s next?” arguments are the same people that bring up a single quote and ignore context, and find a single picture of Fauci not wearing a mask and make it their profile picture. We didn’t need you to wear a mask before it was necessary. We’re not asking you to staple a mask to your face 24 hours a day. The fact that people advocating for masks are not forcing you to wear them nonstop in a totalitarian does not make them hypocrites, it makes you a child
I got less lazy. That interview from Fauci was posted March 8th. Perhaps filmed even sooner.

Per Worldometer, the US had 541 cases at that point. Located primarily in a few known hot spots.

People are really taking the stance that they wanted him to come out and try to force everyone in the US at that point to wear a mask at that point? And somehow the message is muddled on whether or not you need to wear a mask now that there are 26 million cases because you didn't have to when there was 500? And this same person is over-exerting his power now that he wants you to wear a mask? It's almost like y'all are creating a no-win scenario

Reactions: jkutswings

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I got less lazy. That interview from Fauci was posted March 8th. Perhaps filmed even sooner.

Per Worldometer, the US had 541 cases at that point. Located primarily in a few known hot spots.

People are really taking the stance that they wanted him to come out and try to force everyone in the US at that point to wear a mask at that point? And somehow the message is muddled on whether or not you need to wear a mask now that there are 26 million cases because you didn't have to when there was 500? And this same person is over-exerting his power now that he wants you to wear a mask? It's almost like y'all are creating a no-win scenario

"You shouldn't quit smoking until you have cancer."

What a great doctor. My stance is that masks don't do anything anyway, as shown by Fauci's own behavior. He doesn't actually believe what he says.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Karens are people who can't keep their f***ing nose out of other people's business.
Local theater holds Super Bowl watching event - in accordance with all the rules. Karens have to bitch about unsafe they are, blah blah blah.
It's not good enough for them to stay home. They have to decide for other people too.
Local people appear in picture without mask. They must opine about how disappointing those people are....

On the flipside, some of these moms trying to get the governor to allow their kids to play sports? Total Karens. Silent all year about school.But now that their kid might not star for the basketball team... we have a serious problem that everyone must know about.

But even that - that's not Karen like the mask police Karen. That's more regular old selfish alphamom.

I saw thousands of Karen like creatures gathered at a political rally on Jan 6 in DC, committing open acts of treason, sedition, and terrorism. Maybe these folks don't meet your definition of what a Karen might be, but my opinion and prioritization is tainted by 20 years of military service, a college education, and a love for my country and its Bill of Rights... so please forgive my insolence.

'As worried' as we all are about movie theaters and youth sports, I tend to focus more on those that beat police officers to death with fire extinguishers, and those that commit acts of terror that would make Al Qaeda blush.

That said, I commend your desire to liberate Cinemark theaters and ball hockey leagues across this great nation. You're doing a yeoman's work! Rickey, Bubbles, and Julian would be proud.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I saw thousands of Karen like creatures gathered at a political rally on Jan 6 in DC, committing open acts of treason, sedition, and terrorism. Maybe these folks don't meet your definition of what a Karen might be, but my opinion and prioritization is tainted by 20 years of military service, a college education, and a love for my country and its Bill of Rights... so please forgive my insolence.

'As worried' as we all are about movie theaters and youth sports, I tend to focus more on those that beat police officers to death with fire extinguishers, and those that commit acts of terror that would make Al Qaeda blush.

That said, I commend your desire to liberate Cinemark theaters and ball hockey leagues across this great nation. You're doing a yeoman's work! Rickey, Bubbles, and Julian would be proud.

Your trailer park boys reference gives you away.
You're one of those enlightened liberals that hates "white trash."
When you dig into that one day, you'll see that your disgust with the "depolorables" is something you should work on.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

How mad were you when CNN was canceled at airports?

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
"You shouldn't quit smoking until you have cancer."

What a great doctor. My stance is that masks don't do anything anyway, as shown by Fauci's own behavior. He doesn't actually believe what he says.
You WANT extreme measures restricting your freedom, even when the threat level is low?

Fauci doesn’t wear masks? Or you found a couple moments in time where a photo was snapped when he wasn’t? Again, you WANT people to wear masks 24 hours a day?

Or maybe a response proportionate to the threat at the time is reasonable?

Reactions: Ricelund

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Your trailer park boys reference gives you away.
You're one of those enlightened liberals that hates "white trash."
When you dig into that one day, you'll see that your disgust with the "depolorables" is something you should work on.

I used TA and my GI Bill to go to school online while deployed all over the world... and that gives me exclusive membership into a community of 'trust fund' privilege? The last time I voted was in 2008 in the Texas republican primary... I voted Ron Paul. We all make bad suppositions, but when you're working from a MAGA toolbox, that's a way of life.

Why are you more 'deplorable' (in the colloquial sense) than me? How many combat deployments and IED blasts did you take for your country? How many nights did you sleep in a landfill? Have you ever done anything in your life to serve this country, or have you always been with the terrorists?

From your content here, you sound sympathetic to the domestic terrorists that stormed the Capitol. If we are using base definition, there's nothing more 'deplorable' than that.

[Edited for grammar]

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You WANT extreme measures restricting your freedom, even when the threat level is low?

Fauci doesn’t wear masks? Or you found a couple moments in time where a photo was snapped when he wasn’t? Again, you WANT people to wear masks 24 hours a day?

Or maybe a response proportionate to the threat at the time is reasonable?

I just want people to follow their own rules if they actually believe the virus is dangerous. They don't, though, so I can't take any of this seriously.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like how some of the same people that want Fauci fired for changing his approach are the ones that want Blashill fired for staying the course.

Nothing wrong with not liking somebody. But call it the personal bias that it is instead of pretending it's based on objective data or widespread consensus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad